Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Jaded...

Flaccid Member

Jaded...

I don't know if it was because I was an early adopter, or because I built my first 29 inch bike from scratch, or what... but I wonder how folks that have been riding 29'ers for a few years that built their own feel about riders they see show up on rides with pre built big name bike company bikes that have just jumped on the bandwagon? The posters that made this Forum what it is today with their contributions.

Most of the folks I ride with have Niners, Sultans, Access XCL's, Salsa's, maybe a Lenz, or a Bandersnatch or Jabberwocky, maybe even custom Ti, but they all built their bikes themselves, most of them from scratch. No Canfields yet in my circle of friends.

I'm trying to keep an open mind, but these are the types of builds of the riders I usually go out on social rides with.

Are the new pre built bikes and their owners taking the easy way out, to get in to the 29er club? Is it the bike? Or is it the knowledge of knowing a person built their own bike that makes me accept the rider, and that they are worthy to ride with?

There's been a lot of change lately around this forum since Francis posted up about splitting this forum up, and also since Interbike had all these new announcements for 29'er mfg's for 2012. I find myself scrolling past the Gary Fischers, Giants, Trek, Speshy posts.
    I've no interest in them, mainly because I see 29'ers as Clyde friendly bikes, Clydes are hard on their equipment and drive train, and factory builds have notoriously cheap builds for components. It's a poor fit for my needs. I am willing to pay for great components that last

Trying to keep an open mind here and not have a NIMBY type of attitude.

Thoughts?

Compelling, and rich.
    Your elitism is showing.

mtbr member
    Who the F Cares - at least they are out riding and exercising.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy View Post
    I've no interest in them, mainly because I see 29'ers as Clyde friendly bikes, Clydes are hard on their equipment and drive train, and factory builds have notoriously cheap builds for components. It's a poor fit for my needs. I am willing to pay for great components that last
    You sound fat.

But seriously this sounds more like an argument for buying complete bikes (which most people do and are fine with) or buying a frame and building your own bike. It doesn't sound 29er specific at all. Mods! Move this thread!
    "Yep, Redding sucks alright, just way less than you think." - Fiskare

mtbr member

Jaded fo show!

Wow! Somebody has a pretty big ego. Are you for real? Why don't you just get out and ride and enjoy the company you might have. It's not like you invented the wheel.
    Maybe I missread your post but it sounds like you're ragging on all the guys who can't afford or haven't been able to build up a 29er from scratch. Not everyone has a budget for that.
    I for one find myself on an '08 Spesh FSR and love the 29er platform since I'm 6'6" and 280 and the larger bike fits the bill. Would I like to ride on a custom Ti or a Niner, etc? Hellz yeah, but for now the Spesh will work. If guys like me aren't worthy to ride with fellas like you...well, I guess I'm not missing much.

You do have a point as far as components failing for larger Clydes but for me it's all about the ride. If it breaks, then fix it.

mtbr member
    Who even pays attention to what other riders are riding? Does it really matter??
    CyclingCentralVa.org

aka baycat
    It's Friday. Go for a ride and have a beer.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Are the new pre built bikes and their owners taking the easy way out, to get in to the 29er club? Is it the bike? Or is it the knowledge of knowing a person built their own bike that makes me accept the rider, and that they are worthy to ride with?
    First off, bike snobs like you make me hate this forum somedays. Anyone with a bike should be worthy to ride with; fast or slow, old or young, thin or fat whatever shouldn't make a difference. We are all out riding our bikes and having fun.

Second, you should realize you didn't really "build" your bike. You paid a bunch of companies to sell you bits and pieces to bolt on a frame that someone else built. Unless you welded a bunch of tubes into a bicycle shape, you only "assembled" your bike.

Third, Gary Fisher (Trek) has been building 29 inch hardtails since 2002 and full suspension since 2003. So, maybe you don't need to have a boutique brand to be innovative.

WNC Native
    Heaven forbid someone buy a complete bike from, or have their LBS build it for them.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Trollin', trollin', trollin'....

mtbr member
    I'm trying to keep an open mind
    No, you're not.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Is this real life? Somebody needs a diaper change.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    First things first. I've been lurking on and off for a while being fairly new to the avid cycling world. I've avoided joining because I have several good friends who are cycling gurus who 99% of the time can answer any question I have but I couldn't resist this one.

So with that said. I have a huge problem with people like you. I have run across many more than one where I live. The community I live in is pretty affluent, LOTS of doctors, and lots of bike trails. I ride daily to and from work with at least one long (20ish miles) ride a week and so far not a week has gone by where I haven't run into some snob on a high end roadie or a custom build who makes some kind of a backhanded crack at my Windsor Cliff 29.1. I know it's mass produced and I know it's inexpensive, THAT'S WHY I BOUGHT IT!!!! I have a wife, 2 kids, a mortgage and 2 car payments, custom building is not something I can even begin to consider at this point in my life but that doesn't mean I have any less right to ride a 29'er than you and your stuck up ass friends. I don't know how old you are but some serious growing up is in order.

Good day sir.

mtbr member

Thoughts?
    Is this guy for real ?? Built your Own ?? what the heck did you weld your frame ? Built your wheels ? Machine your own hubs ? What did you do? pay a few bucks bought a frame and parts and assembled your bike and that makes you Special ??
    So anyone who goes and buys a 29er from a store and rides, is not welcome here ?? Band Wagon ? did you Invent 29er Bikes .

Who turned out the lights
    Been riding 29ers since the first gen KM. I've built my own bikes (frame included). I just bought at Specialized FSR 29 comp at the bike shop to compliment my custom SS. I love it. Love the custom too, but the Spec was a smokin' deal and it's gonna be a really fun bike. The only reason I care about what someone else is riding is to look at how cool the bike is and see if there's anything I could put on my bike.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    "Shiaaaa, like those jeans were soooo last year."
    "I know riiight, I mean who does she think she is wearing those."
    "Yeah she's not gonna have any friends in 10th grade if she keeps that up."

No whiny chicks allowed.

In all seriousness though man have fun with your clique of stuck up, 'I built my own bike' crowd. I 'built' my first 29er due in large part to the collective wisdom of this board. How that becomes a point from which to look down on other people is beyond me. Maybe I'm misunderstanding your point. Or maybe someday I'll get to be as awesome as you and look down on all those loser pro racers who drop $10,000 for an S-Works Epic.

mtbr member
    Some time ago I built my own car (yes, it's possible and legal too). I drive mine with others that have built their own cars. Unfortunately, many others seem to have bought complete cars at dealerships and are showing up on the roadways. These people are taking the easy way out! I'm trying to be open minded here but I just can't see myself socializing with them.

So RBoy, what kind of car do you have??

beater
    You need a Canfield. 90% of the people who ask about my Yelli have never heard of them.

I fully admit that I've become a bit of a snob in terms of the bikes I own or want to own, but pretty much all of my friends who have 29ers are on off-the-shelf bikes: Specialized or GF/Trek. I'd never given it a second thought beyond being pleased that more people are buying into the platform and ultimately giving me more choices in tires, rims, forks, etc. My priorities are different than theirs - I drive an old SUV and have beater skis, and don't have kids, etc. I wouldn't say any of them are interested in joining the 29er 'club'; they don't spend any time on the forums. They just tried the bikes and liked them.

That said, this forum is definitely different than when I started hanging out here in 2004, and I miss some of what drew me in then. Some of the change is inherent to growth of the 29er format, but perhaps not all of it. Oh, well. Nothing stays the same.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    My caring about what other people ride disappeared when I was passed by a guy on this bike with workboots on!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    You need a Canfield. 90% of the people who ask about my Yelli have never heard of them.

I fully admit that I've become a bit of a snob in terms of the bikes I own or want to own, but pretty much all of my friends who have 29ers are on off-the-shelf bikes: Specialized or GF/Trek. I'd never given it a second thought beyond being pleased that more people are buying into the platform and ultimately giving me more choices in tires, rims, forks, etc. My priorities are different than theirs - I drive an old SUV and have beater skis, and don't have kids, etc. I wouldn't say any of them are interested in joining the 29er 'club'; they don't spend any time on the forums. They just tried the bikes and liked them.

That said, this forum is definitely different than when I started hanging out here in 2004, and I miss some of what drew me in then. Some of the change is inherent to growth of the 29er format, but perhaps not all of it. Oh, well. Nothing stays the same.
    Thats the Mainstream effect...which would have never happened if not for the pioneers and open mindedness folks who thought 'let's try it'....I strive to look for the reasons to be apart of, rather than apart from...but I too am grateful for all the new adopters of 29er's- it very much reminds me of the days when ole 26er' suspension was evolving..forks and FS... (yes even the wacked out designs!), however at a much faster and cleaner rate.

Mac & Jacks African Amber
    Quote Originally Posted by Slack Jack View Post
    Is this guy for real ?? Built your Own ?? what the heck did you weld your frame ? Built your wheels ? Machine your own hubs ? What did you do? pay a few bucks bought a frame and parts and assembled your bike and that makes you Special ??
    So anyone who goes and buys a 29er from a store and rides, is not welcome here ?? Band Wagon ? did you Invent 29er Bikes .
    This is the comment I was thinking of as I read the post. I submit this comment on a laptop made by dell. I was gunna build my own computer but, ....
    My Current Rides:
    '09 Trek 69er SS '08 Trek 69er 3x9 HT

Addicted to Dirt
    I totally agree with you. I ride a CUSTOM bike that I assembled myself! I scoff at lesser riders having fun on non-custom mass produced excuses of "bikes".

Friday lulz, get over yourself...

mods please move this to the sandy vag forum

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by CasteelG View Post
    Your elitism is showing.
    This comment was fully sufficient however in this case the OP deserves to be ragged on a little more. I could ride almost anything with 2 wheels and manage to have a good time, a good bike is great and no doubt helps the fun along but its not what its all about.

mnoutain bkie rdier

Whoa..

You act like the concept of a custom build only applies to 29ers which I find most interesting and amusing..

I sure hope you lace your own wheels... I mean...because you are so cutting edge..

Oh..also, there is NOTHING original about a NINER. Let me repeat...NOTHING.

mtbr member

Amen,

Quote Originally Posted by rydbyk View Post

Oh..also, there is NOTHING original about a NINER. Let me repeat...NOTHING.
    LOL!!! I love it, The LAST bike I'd EVER own or ride is ANYTHING from Niner......I'm guessing 95% of the guys you completely offended with this stupid a$$ thread could and would ride your punk a$$ into the ground on a $300 rigid anything..(29er of course) CF...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast