Results 1 to 81 of 81

Thread: Jaded...

  1. #1
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,939

    Jaded...

    I don't know if it was because I was an early adopter, or because I built my first 29 inch bike from scratch, or what... but I wonder how folks that have been riding 29'ers for a few years that built their own feel about riders they see show up on rides with pre built big name bike company bikes that have just jumped on the bandwagon? The posters that made this Forum what it is today with their contributions.


    Most of the folks I ride with have Niners, Sultans, Access XCL's, Salsa's, maybe a Lenz, or a Bandersnatch or Jabberwocky, maybe even custom Ti, but they all built their bikes themselves, most of them from scratch. No Canfields yet in my circle of friends.

    I'm trying to keep an open mind, but these are the types of builds of the riders I usually go out on social rides with.

    Are the new pre built bikes and their owners taking the easy way out, to get in to the 29er club? Is it the bike? Or is it the knowledge of knowing a person built their own bike that makes me accept the rider, and that they are worthy to ride with?


    There's been a lot of change lately around this forum since Francis posted up about splitting this forum up, and also since Interbike had all these new announcements for 29'er mfg's for 2012. I find myself scrolling past the Gary Fischers, Giants, Trek, Speshy posts.
    I've no interest in them, mainly because I see 29'ers as Clyde friendly bikes, Clydes are hard on their equipment and drive train, and factory builds have notoriously cheap builds for components. It's a poor fit for my needs. I am willing to pay for great components that last

    Trying to keep an open mind here and not have a NIMBY type of attitude.

    Thoughts?

  2. #2
    Ben-Jammin
    Reputation: CasteelG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    654
    Your elitism is showing.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MMcG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    9,606
    Who the F Cares - at least they are out riding and exercising.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,286
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy View Post
    I've no interest in them, mainly because I see 29'ers as Clyde friendly bikes, Clydes are hard on their equipment and drive train, and factory builds have notoriously cheap builds for components. It's a poor fit for my needs. I am willing to pay for great components that last
    You sound fat.

    But seriously this sounds more like an argument for buying complete bikes (which most people do and are fine with) or buying a frame and building your own bike. It doesn't sound 29er specific at all. Mods! Move this thread!
    Redding Trail Alliance - www.reddingtrailalliance.org

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bunyan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    521

    Jaded fo show!

    Wow! Somebody has a pretty big ego. Are you for real? Why don't you just get out and ride and enjoy the company you might have. It's not like you invented the wheel.
    Maybe I missread your post but it sounds like you're ragging on all the guys who can't afford or haven't been able to build up a 29er from scratch. Not everyone has a budget for that.
    I for one find myself on an '08 Spesh FSR and love the 29er platform since I'm 6'6" and 280 and the larger bike fits the bill. Would I like to ride on a custom Ti or a Niner, etc? Hellz yeah, but for now the Spesh will work. If guys like me aren't worthy to ride with fellas like you...well, I guess I'm not missing much.

    You do have a point as far as components failing for larger Clydes but for me it's all about the ride. If it breaks, then fix it.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DavidR1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,696
    Who even pays attention to what other riders are riding? Does it really matter??
    CyclingCentralVa.org

  7. #7
    aka baycat
    Reputation: Ryan G.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    8,484
    It's Friday. Go for a ride and have a beer.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    529
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy View Post
    Are the new pre built bikes and their owners taking the easy way out, to get in to the 29er club? Is it the bike? Or is it the knowledge of knowing a person built their own bike that makes me accept the rider, and that they are worthy to ride with?
    First off, bike snobs like you make me hate this forum somedays. Anyone with a bike should be worthy to ride with; fast or slow, old or young, thin or fat whatever shouldn't make a difference. We are all out riding our bikes and having fun.

    Second, you should realize you didn't really "build" your bike. You paid a bunch of companies to sell you bits and pieces to bolt on a frame that someone else built. Unless you welded a bunch of tubes into a bicycle shape, you only "assembled" your bike.

    Third, Gary Fisher (Trek) has been building 29 inch hardtails since 2002 and full suspension since 2003. So, maybe you don't need to have a boutique brand to be innovative.

  9. #9
    WNC Native
    Reputation: nitrousjunky's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    3,293
    Heaven forbid someone buy a complete bike from, or have their LBS build it for them.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KavuRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,745
    Trollin', trollin', trollin'....

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: limba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,939
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy View Post
    I'm trying to keep an open mind
    No, you're not.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,773
    Is this real life? Somebody needs a diaper change.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    13
    First things first. I've been lurking on and off for a while being fairly new to the avid cycling world. I've avoided joining because I have several good friends who are cycling gurus who 99% of the time can answer any question I have but I couldn't resist this one.

    So with that said. I have a huge problem with people like you. I have run across many more than one where I live. The community I live in is pretty affluent, LOTS of doctors, and lots of bike trails. I ride daily to and from work with at least one long (20ish miles) ride a week and so far not a week has gone by where I haven't run into some snob on a high end roadie or a custom build who makes some kind of a backhanded crack at my Windsor Cliff 29.1. I know it's mass produced and I know it's inexpensive, THAT'S WHY I BOUGHT IT!!!! I have a wife, 2 kids, a mortgage and 2 car payments, custom building is not something I can even begin to consider at this point in my life but that doesn't mean I have any less right to ride a 29'er than you and your stuck up ass friends. I don't know how old you are but some serious growing up is in order.

    Good day sir.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Slack Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    73
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy View Post

    Are the new pre built bikes and their owners taking the easy way out, to get in to the 29er club? Is it the bike? Or is it the knowledge of knowing a person built their own bike that makes me accept the rider, and that they are worthy to ride with?




    Thoughts?
    Is this guy for real ?? Built your Own ?? what the heck did you weld your frame ? Built your wheels ? Machine your own hubs ? What did you do? pay a few bucks bought a frame and parts and assembled your bike and that makes you Special ??
    So anyone who goes and buys a 29er from a store and rides, is not welcome here ?? Band Wagon ? did you Invent 29er Bikes .

  15. #15
    Who turned out the lights
    Reputation: Francis Buxton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,128
    Been riding 29ers since the first gen KM. I've built my own bikes (frame included). I just bought at Specialized FSR 29 comp at the bike shop to compliment my custom SS. I love it. Love the custom too, but the Spec was a smokin' deal and it's gonna be a really fun bike. The only reason I care about what someone else is riding is to look at how cool the bike is and see if there's anything I could put on my bike.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    60
    "Shiaaaa, like those jeans were soooo last year."
    "I know riiight, I mean who does she think she is wearing those."
    "Yeah she's not gonna have any friends in 10th grade if she keeps that up."

    No whiny chicks allowed.

    In all seriousness though man have fun with your clique of stuck up, 'I built my own bike' crowd. I 'built' my first 29er due in large part to the collective wisdom of this board. How that becomes a point from which to look down on other people is beyond me. Maybe I'm misunderstanding your point. Or maybe someday I'll get to be as awesome as you and look down on all those loser pro racers who drop $10,000 for an S-Works Epic.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtbnutty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    234
    Some time ago I built my own car (yes, it's possible and legal too). I drive mine with others that have built their own cars. Unfortunately, many others seem to have bought complete cars at dealerships and are showing up on the roadways. These people are taking the easy way out! I'm trying to be open minded here but I just can't see myself socializing with them.

    So RBoy, what kind of car do you have??

  18. #18
    beater
    Reputation: evasive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,015
    You need a Canfield. 90% of the people who ask about my Yelli have never heard of them.

    I fully admit that I've become a bit of a snob in terms of the bikes I own or want to own, but pretty much all of my friends who have 29ers are on off-the-shelf bikes: Specialized or GF/Trek. I'd never given it a second thought beyond being pleased that more people are buying into the platform and ultimately giving me more choices in tires, rims, forks, etc. My priorities are different than theirs - I drive an old SUV and have beater skis, and don't have kids, etc. I wouldn't say any of them are interested in joining the 29er 'club'; they don't spend any time on the forums. They just tried the bikes and liked them.

    That said, this forum is definitely different than when I started hanging out here in 2004, and I miss some of what drew me in then. Some of the change is inherent to growth of the 29er format, but perhaps not all of it. Oh, well. Nothing stays the same.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Metalhack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    313
    My caring about what other people ride disappeared when I was passed by a guy on this bike with workboots on!


  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: metelhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    385
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    You need a Canfield. 90% of the people who ask about my Yelli have never heard of them.

    I fully admit that I've become a bit of a snob in terms of the bikes I own or want to own, but pretty much all of my friends who have 29ers are on off-the-shelf bikes: Specialized or GF/Trek. I'd never given it a second thought beyond being pleased that more people are buying into the platform and ultimately giving me more choices in tires, rims, forks, etc. My priorities are different than theirs - I drive an old SUV and have beater skis, and don't have kids, etc. I wouldn't say any of them are interested in joining the 29er 'club'; they don't spend any time on the forums. They just tried the bikes and liked them.

    That said, this forum is definitely different than when I started hanging out here in 2004, and I miss some of what drew me in then. Some of the change is inherent to growth of the 29er format, but perhaps not all of it. Oh, well. Nothing stays the same.
    Thats the Mainstream effect...which would have never happened if not for the pioneers and open mindedness folks who thought 'let's try it'....I strive to look for the reasons to be apart of, rather than apart from...but I too am grateful for all the new adopters of 29er's- it very much reminds me of the days when ole 26er' suspension was evolving..forks and FS... (yes even the wacked out designs!), however at a much faster and cleaner rate.

  21. #21
    Mac & Jacks African Amber
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    98
    Quote Originally Posted by Slack Jack View Post
    Is this guy for real ?? Built your Own ?? what the heck did you weld your frame ? Built your wheels ? Machine your own hubs ? What did you do? pay a few bucks bought a frame and parts and assembled your bike and that makes you Special ??
    So anyone who goes and buys a 29er from a store and rides, is not welcome here ?? Band Wagon ? did you Invent 29er Bikes .
    This is the comment I was thinking of as I read the post. I submit this comment on a laptop made by dell. I was gunna build my own computer but, ....
    My Current Rides:
    '09 Trek 69er SS '08 Trek 69er 3x9 HT
    Clydesdale Certified @ 6' 4", 258 lbs.

  22. #22
    Addicted to Dirt
    Reputation: ingluis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    674
    I totally agree with you. I ride a CUSTOM bike that I assembled myself! I scoff at lesser riders having fun on non-custom mass produced excuses of "bikes".

    Friday lulz, get over yourself...

    mods please move this to the sandy vag forum

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by CasteelG View Post
    Your elitism is showing.
    This comment was fully sufficient however in this case the OP deserves to be ragged on a little more. I could ride almost anything with 2 wheels and manage to have a good time, a good bike is great and no doubt helps the fun along but its not what its all about.

  24. #24
    mnoutain bkie rdier
    Reputation: rydbyk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,822

    Whoa..

    You act like the concept of a custom build only applies to 29ers which I find most interesting and amusing..

    I sure hope you lace your own wheels... I mean...because you are so cutting edge..

    Oh..also, there is NOTHING original about a NINER. Let me repeat...NOTHING.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CRAZY FRED's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,676

    Amen,

    Quote Originally Posted by rydbyk View Post

    Oh..also, there is NOTHING original about a NINER. Let me repeat...NOTHING.
    LOL!!! I love it, The LAST bike I'd EVER own or ride is ANYTHING from Niner......I'm guessing 95% of the guys you completely offended with this stupid a$$ thread could and would ride your punk a$$ into the ground on a $300 rigid anything..(29er of course) CF...

  26. #26
    Now broadcasting from CO
    Reputation: PAmtbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,224
    Quote Originally Posted by ingluis View Post
    mods please move this to the sandy vag forum
    Yes. I would have brought my fishing gear if I had known we would be trolling...
    Brought to you by rocks.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: reydin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,061
    When you say "built from scratch" I'm assuming you mean purchasing a frame-set and adding the components of your choice. If that is the case how is this any better than finding a complete bike that already has the components you desire?
    If I had a black light this place would look like a Jackson Pollock painting.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    11
    Pardon me, but do you have any Grey Poupon? I just finished stripping my bike down to frame and re-"building" it "from scratch" so I would be accepted. Finally, I belong. What a tool! BTW-First post!

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    248
    Quote Originally Posted by Borch View Post
    First things first. I've been lurking on and off for a while being fairly new to the avid cycling world. I've avoided joining because I have several good friends who are cycling gurus who 99% of the time can answer any question I have but I couldn't resist this one.

    So with that said. I have a huge problem with people like you. I have run across many more than one where I live. The community I live in is pretty affluent, LOTS of doctors, and lots of bike trails. I ride daily to and from work with at least one long (20ish miles) ride a week and so far not a week has gone by where I haven't run into some snob on a high end roadie or a custom build who makes some kind of a backhanded crack at my Windsor Cliff 29.1. I know it's mass produced and I know it's inexpensive, THAT'S WHY I BOUGHT IT!!!! I have a wife, 2 kids, a mortgage and 2 car payments, custom building is not something I can even begin to consider at this point in my life but that doesn't mean I have any less right to ride a 29'er than you and your stuck up ass friends. I don't know how old you are but some serious growing up is in order.

    Good day sir.
    LMAO! If this were Facebook, I'd "Like" this. hahahaha

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    132
    Quote Originally Posted by Slack Jack View Post
    Is this guy for real ?? Built your Own ?? what the heck did you weld your frame ? Built your wheels ? Machine your own hubs ? What did you do? pay a few bucks bought a frame and parts and assembled your bike and that makes you Special ??
    So anyone who goes and buys a 29er from a store and rides, is not welcome here ?? Band Wagon ? did you Invent 29er Bikes .
    Concur your post.

    RandyBoy
    is ignoring the fact that the originators of modern mountain biking worked to grow the sport into what it is today.

    Many of those same mountain bike legends shared their love of biking as they went on to design, test, and manufacture mountain bikes for cyclists everywhere.


    Relax RandyBoy, it's just a bike. My 7-year old niece rides one.



    ....and regardless of her bike's wheel size, she joyfully loves her store bought two-wheel pink bike for what it is - fun, fun, fun.
    Last edited by Bambi19; 09-30-2011 at 02:15 PM.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Slack Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    73
    Let me tell you somethingu [[[[Randy dandy boy ]]]]]]
    Scratch built means you take raw aluminum or ti. Or carbon tubes. Weld or bond them to a frame machine your hubs take raw aluminum and weld rims then you machine whatever dropouts or linkages you need, then paint the frame ,then you can say SCRATCH BUILT.
    What you do Randy dandy is assemble a bike , I am sure you do that very well with your Harvard PHD and all.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    822
    I'd have to give credits to RandyBoy. Everyone wants to be special; at least he is honest about it.

    The thing is... buying a special bike does not really make you special in this world. The guy on a Trek could be someone who actually achieves big things in life. Riding a Specialized especially is not special at all, but what the heck, Spec riders can be really cool.

    (Is that me trying plays on words in not my native language? That must make me pretty special. Note to self: Stop typing on MTBR after 2 Chouffe beers.)

    Nothing wrong with having special stuff, but stop linking bike and component choice to the motivation and ability to ride of the rider. It just does not make sense. I sure hope my post does.

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Drth Vadr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    781
    The only thing that I can agree with is the cheap components that come with the LBS mass produced bikes. other then that, I'll just prey for you my son.

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,773
    Nevermind.

  35. #35
    nothing to see here
    Reputation: Stevob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,251
    This OP has gotta be takin' the p!ss out of everyone, for sure. No-one could have their head stuck so far up their own ass and still be able to see the keyboard to type that crap.
    I see hills.

    I want to climb them.

  36. #36
    GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Reputation: NoahColorado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3,314
    Gentlemen, I submit:

    My first bike build by Randy Boy, Feb 2009

    Haha, come on bud. Go for a ride, who cares.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP - Brand Manager
    Pivot Cycles - Team Rider

  37. #37
    So is your face
    Reputation: celluloid hero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    570
    Jaded after two whole years of assembling your own bikes. Wow, talk about a short attention span.
    IT'S NOT THE FALL THAT HURTS. IT'S WHEN YOU HIT THE GROUND.

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,773
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado View Post
    Gentlemen, I submit:

    My first bike build by Randy Boy, Feb 2009

    Haha, come on bud. Go for a ride, who cares.
    All that for a pile of chit.

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Drth Vadr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    781
    Quote Originally Posted by irishpitbull View Post
    Aware me to what LBS is good sir.
    None my friend. Unless you are buying super premium (expert model) you will always get $hity wheels, cassette, chain, bar, stem, seat, post, some variation for juicy 3 brakes, and cranks that in all add 5+lb to a bike. And when I say $shity, I mean you couldn't get two bits ffor them in resale used or as take offs. Why, no one wants to buy a wheelset that weights 3000g, so it affectively becomes worthless.

  40. #40
    Powered by ice cream.
    Reputation: Enel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    6,309
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado View Post
    Gentlemen, I submit:

    My first bike build by Randy Boy, Feb 2009

    Haha, come on bud. Go for a ride, who cares.
    Nice find. So much for being an "early" adopter. Sophomoric.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,363
    OP maybe you should stick w/ the Chainlove Marzocchi 44 bombardment post's because this post really make you look full of it.

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,126
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy View Post
    I don't know if it was because I was an early adopter, or because I built my first 29 inch bike from scratch, or what... but I wonder how folks that have been riding 29'ers for a few years that built their own feel about riders they see show up on rides with pre built big name bike company bikes that have just jumped on the bandwagon?

    Thoughts?

    I absolutely think Specialized, Giant, Yeti, etc. jumped in it only for the $$$ they can't resist. They all said in the past they wouldn't make wagon wheel build bikes and now they are here. But I think they offer something to their faithful customers hooked on the brand even if they don't like big wheels.

    Built bikes, along with everything else offer a nice bike at a nice price point. Would it appeal to me? No, but lots of people want to go to a bike shop and put down the plastic same day on a bike they can buy on a Friday afternoon and ride Saturday morning. There are a lot of threads about X brand wheels SUCK out of the box, and maybe that customer builds a bike from the ground up.

    Gary Fisher, Niner Bikes and Salsa have a HUGE head start on everyone else. These are the bikes I see on the trails I ride. If you race, you've been seeing a crapload of these bikes at the starting line. Specialized is now taking a huge market share, they build a really nice bike for the money. But choice is good, not everyone wants to be riding/racing the same bike as everyone else.

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bikerdirragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado View Post
    Gentlemen, I submit:

    My first bike build by Randy Boy, Feb 2009

    Haha, come on bud. Go for a ride, who cares.
    BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA... AHAH... *hack*...*cough*... AHAHAHA....


    If I said anything else, I'd just be treading over ground so adeptly worn by every other poster here. But OP.... seriously??

  44. #44
    Bite Me.
    Reputation: cutthroat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,531
    The OP has a valid point. It really is such a chore finding the right types with whom one can ride socially. They're letting just about anybody into the 29er club these days.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

  45. #45
    mnoutain bkie rdier
    Reputation: rydbyk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,822
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado View Post
    Gentlemen, I submit:

    My first bike build by Randy Boy, Feb 2009

    Haha, come on bud. Go for a ride, who cares.
    Thanks for that. Wow. Just wow. If someone had a unique imported custom ti frame and had built their own wheels etc etc etc and said what the OP said, I would think it was silly.

    But this.....???

    I see this sort of thing with noob surfers all the time. They stand up for the first time and suddenly they own the spot.... Pure entertainment.

    Earn your stripes Randy. Pump the breaks.

    +FWIW Randy...you will never look like a pro with your special custom build. You do want to look legit right??

  46. #46
    ~Reformed Mechanic~
    Reputation: Ace5high's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,177
    RandyBoy let me first say that I feel for you man, because you have your own opinion and are not afraid to express it even knowing that most were going to bust your balls for it.

    For starters, ignore the chickens who are sending you all the neg rep comments right now, keep in mind thats the only life they have

    Second, It always cracks me up to see everyone jump on the troll wagon, calling you fat and the rest of the childish comments. Its ironic because those are the people who who are trolls, overweight, wish they had a better bikes, jealous etc... They jump around doing it to all posts they don't like because they don't have lives

    As to your OP - I agree with the guy who says this is more of an argument for building vs buying a built bike.

    I happen to agree with you in that, I tend to ride with guys who build their bikes, not because im a snob, but because my personality is such that I get along with the "builder types" since my passion is building Cars, Motorcycles, Bikes, Whatever!

    If your not into factory builds thats just your opinion, and so what, good for you. Certainly your gonna get everyone else's opinions here jammed down your throat, so share yours!

  47. #47
    I live to bike
    Reputation: Jwiffle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,262
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado View Post
    Gentlemen, I submit:

    My first bike build by Randy Boy, Feb 2009

    Haha, come on bud. Go for a ride, who cares.
    2009 is not an early adopter, sorry OP. I've been on 29ers since 2006, and even then I knew others on them a year or two before me (and 29ers had been around for quite a few years at that point). I've had my RIP9 since 2007.

    I have friends who ride bikes built up from the frame, and I have other friends who have pre-built bikes from the major manufacturers. We ride and have fun.

    As for people buying pre-built bikes taking the "Easy way out" -- Out of what? Looks like the only thing they took the easy way out of was riding with you, and I'm not sure they shouldn't take that easy way out. What does it matter whether they built the bike from the frame or not?

    I like the judge the book by the story rather than the cover - or the rider by his personality rather than his bike.
    Stop in at Element Sports. www.elementsport.com
    Get Out! Have Fun!

  48. #48
    North Van/Whistler
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,614
    Randyboy - showing his d ouchyness to the world ... again.
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

  49. #49
    ~Reformed Mechanic~
    Reputation: Ace5high's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,177
    LOL, and in less than 15 min they are after me too... Much like the pesky misquotes on the trials

  50. #50
    poser Administrator
    Reputation: rockcrusher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    9,045
    I'm going to bin this thread as i hate watching a public suicide and this is destined to be nothing more than a schadenfreude filled orgy of flaming.

    Thanks for playing.
    Try this: HTFU

  51. #51
    Black Sheep rising
    Reputation: utabintarbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    917
    Quote Originally Posted by ingluis View Post
    mods please move this to the sandy vag forum
    Holy crap! There's a Sandy Vag forum!

    I need to find that. Likely where the OP got his inspiration.
    Let the market decide!

    N42.58 W83.06

  52. #52
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,201
    ....

  53. #53
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bikerdirragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    85
    Yes well, Ace5High, it's kinda like if you defend the idiot on trial for heckling the deaf person or something... not much you can really defend in the OP's comments, and you oughta know that if you jump on the idiot bandwagon, you'll undoubtedly get a rough sentence as well. The guy's very obviously being an elitist bike snob. Oh hell, I could go on but what's the point? There will be plenty of guys who think like the OP (and likely ride with him), and plenty of others who think the opposite or very nearly so. We suck. You suck. We all suck. Just ride your damned bike already.

  54. #54
    North Van/Whistler
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,614
    If RandyBiatch had any scintilla of riding ability then perhaps the thread would be less ironic.
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

  55. #55
    ~Reformed Mechanic~
    Reputation: Ace5high's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,177
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdirragon View Post
    Yes well, Ace5High, it's kinda like if you defend the idiot on trial for heckling the deaf person or something... not much you can really defend in the OP's comments, and you oughta know that if you jump on the idiot bandwagon, you'll undoubtedly get a rough sentence as well. The guy's very obviously being an elitist bike snob. Oh hell, I could go on but what's the point? There will be plenty of guys who think like the OP (and likely ride with him), and plenty of others who think the opposite or very nearly so. We suck. You suck. We all suck. Just ride your damned bike already.
    Well, I wasn't trying to defend him. My point was just that the heckling always turns far worse and more childish than the OP posts... Its just uncalled for. Simply tell you guy you disagree with him and move on with life, ya know?

  56. #56
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    998
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy View Post
    I don't know if it was because I was an early adopter, or because I built my first 29 inch bike from scratch, or what... but I wonder how folks that have been riding 29'ers for a few years that built their own feel about riders they see show up on rides with pre built big name bike company bikes that have just jumped on the bandwagon? The posters that made this Forum what it is today with their contributions.


    Most of the folks I ride with have Niners, Sultans, Access XCL's, Salsa's, maybe a Lenz, or a Bandersnatch or Jabberwocky, maybe even custom Ti, but they all built their bikes themselves, most of them from scratch. No Canfields yet in my circle of friends.

    I'm trying to keep an open mind, but these are the types of builds of the riders I usually go out on social rides with.

    Are the new pre built bikes and their owners taking the easy way out, to get in to the 29er club? Is it the bike? Or is it the knowledge of knowing a person built their own bike that makes me accept the rider, and that they are worthy to ride with?


    There's been a lot of change lately around this forum since Francis posted up about splitting this forum up, and also since Interbike had all these new announcements for 29'er mfg's for 2012. I find myself scrolling past the Gary Fischers, Giants, Trek, Speshy posts.
    I've no interest in them, mainly because I see 29'ers as Clyde friendly bikes, Clydes are hard on their equipment and drive train, and factory builds have notoriously cheap builds for components. It's a poor fit for my needs. I am willing to pay for great components that last

    Trying to keep an open mind here and not have a NIMBY type of attitude.

    Thoughts?

    Dude. They're just bikes. It's great to love all aspects of cycling but some of us don't have the time or inclination to build our own bikes. I have an excellent bike shop in town with a great owner and mechanics and they handle all of that for me.

    I am definitely taking the easy way out for my new 29er single speed. My LBS is ordering the frame, fork and parts and they'll call me when it's ready. I have a lot of money so I can afford that kind of thing and it doesn't bother me in the slightest. I worked hard to arrive at the point where I can buy, within reason, whatever bike or component I want and I do not, repeat not, feel the need to live some contrived bike-culture lifestyle.

    It's a cliche but I saw a guy on my local trails having a great time on a cheap Target mountain bike.

  57. #57
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,939
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace5high View Post
    RandyBoy let me first say that I feel for you man, because you have your own opinion and are not afraid to express it even knowing that most were going to bust your balls for it.

    For starters, ignore the chickens who are sending you all the neg rep comments right now, keep in mind thats the only life they have

    Second, It always cracks me up to see everyone jump on the troll wagon, calling you fat and the rest of the childish comments. Its ironic because those are the people who who are trolls, overweight, wish they had a better bikes, jealous etc... They jump around doing it to all posts they don't like because they don't have lives

    As to your OP - I agree with the guy who says this is more of an argument for building vs buying a built bike.

    I happen to agree with you in that, I tend to ride with guys who build their bikes, not because im a snob, but because my personality is such that I get along with the "builder types" since my passion is building Cars, Motorcycles, Bikes, Whatever!

    If your not into factory builds thats just your opinion, and so what, good for you. Certainly your gonna get everyone else's opinions here jammed down your throat, so share yours!
    First off, I posted early on in the "$1500, build from scratch" thread earlier today.

    Noah digging back 2 + years? my take? Internet stalker, the same bike, my first build, was in the most current post before this, the $1500 thread, with a picture.

    Secondly... That thread gave me this whole idea... I wanted to socially engineer a hypothetical "snob attitude" list of bikes, but slip one entry level $85 Performance Access XCL frame rider in there, in my list of people I ride with, because, that's jeffj, the guy with the $85 frame and the $900-$1000 free MikeSee DT Swiss 240S / Stan's Flow's wheelset he got, on that frame /bike build that he built.

    Not a single one of you noticed that Access XCL in the list, which is jeffj's ride, but everyone noticed the big, blingy brand names in my post, and ripped on me for it. The higher the price, the better the brand recognition by the have nots, it seems.


    The best response on this thread, was that I was stunned that Enel posted up about me... only because the Newbies don't know that Enel rides with the snob elitists... he owns a Jones, numerous Lenz's, a Simon Bar, a custom bike like FoShizzles and JNCarpenters short chain stayed, slacked out head angle bike, whose name slips my mind right now... to which I say to Enel, pot, meet kettle.

    I've not enjoyed riding with folks on factory built bikes, for one reason, I find them a liability on rides.... they don't have a pump, a patch kit, tools, a spare tube... etc... they are not self sufficient. I'm too old to be baby sitting others on rides, when they are grown adults and I really don't feel like being an enabler. The biggest reminder of this was earlier this year when I broke, of all things, a master link on my chain on a big ride. I know I had at least 5 of them as spares in a little plastic box, along with 2 sets of spare brake pads and a Stans valve tool for tubeless setups, because I still have the 5 plastic SRAM new chain boxes in the garage.

    When it came my turn, and I needed a masterlink, I opened up the box, and remembered, when none were there, that I had given every single one of them away, to another needy, unprepared rider that was in a pinch. 2 in Downieville, that I remember, one on a Mr, Toads Wild ride in S Lake Tahoe, and the other 2 on night rides locally in the San Gabriels, steep and hard on drive trains.

    I find that people that can build their own bikes, can also maintain them, and also come on rides being self sufficient also.

    This thread just goes to show that people read what they want to, and who they want to, but the level of comprehension, and willingness to search that which they don't know about, or a definition or a word or a brand and model of bike they don't know about is nill, case in point the Performance Access XCL.

    It also tells me a lot about the have nots, and brand recognition.

    And for all the haters... I've owned 4 or 5 bikes, that I paid more for than my car... to keep things in perspective.

    it's beer:30... have a great weekend....




  58. #58
    Black Sheep rising
    Reputation: utabintarbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    917
    So you're saying you buy really cheap cars....
    Let the market decide!

    N42.58 W83.06

  59. #59
    poser Administrator
    Reputation: rockcrusher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    9,045
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy View Post
    First off, I posted early on in the "$1500, build from scratch" thread earlier today.

    Noah digging back 2 + years? my take? Internet stalker, the same bike, my first build, was in the most current post before this, the $1500 thread, with a picture.

    Secondly... That thread gave me this whole idea... I wanted to socially engineer a hypothetical "snob attitude" list of bikes, but slip one entry level $85 Performance Access XCL frame rider in there, in my list of people I ride with, because, that's jeffj, the guy with the $85 frame and the $900-$1000 free MikeSee DT Swiss 240S / Stan's Flow's wheelset he got, on that frame /bike build that he built.

    Not a single one of you noticed that Access XCL in the list, which is jeffj's ride, but everyone noticed the big, blingy brand names in my post, and ripped on me for it. The higher the price, the better the brand recognition by the have nots, it seems.


    The best response on this thread, was that I was stunned that Enel posted up about me... only because the Newbies don't know that Enel rides with the snob elitists... he owns a Jones, numerous Lenz's, a Simon Bar, a custom bike like FoShizzles and JNCarpenters short chain stayed, slacked out head angle bike, whose name slips my mind right now... to which I say to Enel, pot, meet kettle.

    I've not enjoyed riding with folks on factory built bikes, for one reason, I find them a liability on rides.... they don't have a pump, a patch kit, tools, a spare tube... etc... they are not self sufficient. I'm too old to be baby sitting others on rides, when they are grown adults and I really don't feel like being an enabler. The biggest reminder of this was earlier this year when I broke, of all things, a master link on my chain on a big ride. I know I had at least 5 of them as spares in a little plastic box, along with 2 sets of spare brake pads and a Stans valve tool for tubeless setups, because I still have the 5 plastic SRAM new chain boxes in the garage.

    When it came my turn, and I needed a masterlink, I opened up the box, and remembered, when none were there, that I had given every single one of them away, to another needy, unprepared rider that was in a pinch. 2 in Downieville, that I remember, one on a Mr, Toads Wild ride in S Lake Tahoe, and the other 2 on night rides locally in the San Gabriels, steep and hard on drive trains.

    I find that people that can build their own bikes, can also maintain them, and also come on rides being self sufficient also.

    This thread just goes to show that people read what they want to, and who they want to, but the level of comprehension, and willingness to search that which they don't know about, or a definition or a word or a brand and model of bike they don't know about is nill, case in point the Performance Access XCL.

    It also tells me a lot about the have nots, and brand recognition.

    And for all the haters... I've owned 4 or 5 bikes, that I paid more for than my car... to keep things in perspective.

    it's beer:30... have a great weekend....


    Man I know you spent some time writing this but I think you have missed the point here. You come off as elitist not because you ride a Niner and ride with people on high end bikes or ride with one guy on an Access bike but because this:

    Are the new pre built bikes and their owners taking the easy way out, to get in to the 29er club? Is it the bike? Or is it the knowledge of knowing a person built their own bike that makes me accept the rider, and that they are worthy to ride with?
    This is very elitist, exclusionary and insulting. Are they worthy to ride with because they purchased a specialized off the store floor? and you don't see how that could be construed as insulting yet you think it is because you listed a bunch of brands with a performance bike slotted in. You need to reread this "This thread just goes to show that people read what they want to, and who they want to, but the level of comprehension, and willingness to search that which they don't know about...." cause you misread everyone's reaction to your original post.
    Try this: HTFU

  60. #60
    Powered by ice cream.
    Reputation: Enel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    6,309
    Skip it...
    Last edited by Enel; 09-30-2011 at 05:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

  61. #61
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Gasp4Air's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,992
    Dumb post. I removed it.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

  62. #62
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jncarpenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    6,827
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy View Post
    ... only because the Newbies don't know that Enel rides with the snob elitists... he owns a Jones, numerous Lenz's, a Simon Bar, a custom bike like FoShizzles and JNCarpenters short chain stayed, slacked out head angle bike, whose name slips my mind right now... to which I say to Enel, pot, meet kettle.
    This is extremely hateful to me, since Enel effectively appreciates ONLY non-custom bikes. The fact that he owns a custom bike that he doesn't rave about only further solidifies my point!
    Last edited by jncarpenter; 09-30-2011 at 06:16 PM.


  63. #63
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jncarpenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    6,827
    Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    Skip it...
    Awww...I missed your attempt at coolness!


  64. #64
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,939
    Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    Nice find. So much for being an "early" adopter. Sophomoric.
    Says the Elitist guy with the Jones, 3 different Lenzs at various times, a Simon Bar, who only invites elite skilled riders, not newbies, to ride in Prescott AZ.

    Pot, meet kettle.

    Lemme know the next time you ride around your favorite area there in North Prescott, The Dells, with someone on a store bought, name brand, not self built bike, not something from a bike frame company.

  65. #65
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jncarpenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    6,827
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY FRED View Post
    LOL!!! I love it, The LAST bike I'd EVER own or ride is ANYTHING from Niner......I'm guessing 95% of the guys you completely offended with this stupid a$$ thread could and would ride your punk a$$ into the ground on a $300 rigid anything..(29er of course) CF...
    WRONG! I would never ride a $300 bike!


  66. #66
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,939
    Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter View Post
    This is extremely hateful to me, since Enel effectively appreciates ONLY non-custom bikes. The fact that he owns a custom bike that he doesn't rave about only further solidifies my point!
    Nice troll there JN, maybe you can get Fo Shizzle, El Salt and Aquaholic out of the wood works too, since no other threads have, lately.

  67. #67
    mnoutain bkie rdier
    Reputation: rydbyk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,822

    I am about to be really mean....

    must. bite. e-tongue. Sounds like Randy just has a habit of annoying others?
    Last edited by rydbyk; 09-30-2011 at 07:34 PM.

  68. #68
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,789
    Quote Originally Posted by Slack Jack View Post
    Let me tell you somethingu [[[[Randy dandy boy ]]]]]]
    Scratch built means you take raw aluminum or ti. Or carbon tubes. Weld or bond them to a frame machine your hubs take raw aluminum and weld rims then you machine whatever dropouts or linkages you need, then paint the frame ,then you can say SCRATCH BUILT.
    What you do Randy dandy is assemble a bike , I am sure you do that very well with your Harvard PHD and all.
    City boy wussies. I just secured the mineral rights on several properties around the world, planning to mine my materials. Just have to build some excavating tools and whip up a batch of explosives so I can get started on my scratch built bike.

  69. #69
    mtbr member
    Reputation: boomn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    9,647
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy View Post
    Says the Elitist guy with the Jones, 3 different Lenzs at various times, a Simon Bar, who only invites elite skilled riders, not newbies, to ride in Prescott AZ.

    Pot, meet kettle.
    What does owning nice bikes have anything to do with looking down on other people's bike choices? Being a bit of a snob about your own setup can be justified imho because, like you said, riding time is precious. I've never heard Enel rag on someone else's bike, just lots of setups that he's owned that didn't work for him in the context of his own ride experiences.
    Last edited by boomn; 09-30-2011 at 08:29 PM.

  70. #70
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3,538
    This is an example of why I call him "SandyBoy" - got it all up in his minge.

  71. #71
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,939
    Quote Originally Posted by Slack Jack View Post
    Let me tell you somethingu [[[[Randy dandy boy ]]]]]]
    Scratch built means you take raw aluminum or ti. Or carbon tubes. Weld or bond them to a frame machine your hubs take raw aluminum and weld rims then you machine whatever dropouts or linkages you need, then paint the frame ,then you can say SCRATCH BUILT.
    What you do Randy dandy is assemble a bike , I am sure you do that very well with your Harvard PHD and all.
    Wow... you'd better inform FoShizzle, Enel, jncarpenter and this tool that started this thread that they're all wrong.


    Best 29er From-Scratch Build Under $1500

  72. #72
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Waltah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    679
    OP, you are the type of person i love blowing the doors off on the trail with my $580 "pre-built cookie cutter band wagon jumping" bike.
    Gary Fisher HiFi Deluxe 29er

  73. #73
    ~Reformed Mechanic~
    Reputation: Ace5high's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,177
    If im not mistaken... Aren't we all in the trash for a reason? Even the trash can couldn't keep the MTBR hate out... lol

  74. #74
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,201
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace5high View Post
    If im not mistaken... Aren't we all in the trash for a reason? Even the trash can couldn't keep the MTBR hate out... lol



    Or the trolls it seems.

  75. #75
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,939
    Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter View Post
    WRONG! I would never ride a $300 bike!
    Maybe a $300 Gravity Dropper.

  76. #76
    discombobulated SuperModerator
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3,219
    Quote Originally Posted by Slack Jack View Post
    Let me tell you somethingu [[[[Randy dandy boy ]]]]]]
    Scratch built means you take raw aluminum or ti. Or carbon tubes. Weld or bond them to a frame machine your hubs take raw aluminum and weld rims then you machine whatever dropouts or linkages you need, then paint the frame ,then you can say SCRATCH BUILT.
    What you do Randy dandy is assemble a bike , I am sure you do that very well with your Harvard PHD and all.
    Thats the easy way out, I just got in the house from my bauxite ore mine.........man this is going to be fun!!!! (fires up the smelter)....

  77. #77
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,789
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    City boy wussies. I just secured the mineral rights on several properties around the world, planning to mine my materials. Just have to build some excavating tools and whip up a batch of explosives so I can get started on my scratch built bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by CdaleTony View Post
    Thats the easy way out, I just got in the house from my bauxite ore mine.........man this is going to be fun!!!! (fires up the smelter)....
    Maybe you could help me out with a few questions I have on the process, as I'm just getting started.....

  78. #78
    mnoutain bkie rdier
    Reputation: rydbyk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,822
    ...excavating back yard now. Looking for titanium....might have to settle for copper. Hope I find enough to fabricate spindles for my home made pedals....

  79. #79
    discombobulated SuperModerator
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3,219
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Maybe you could help me out with a few questions I have on the process, as I'm just getting started.....
    ok its not smelting, but that was intended to be a distraction..seriously though...why does it always have to be about something OTHER than just riding the bike??

    'Dude that guy's kits is so 2008, how does he go out i n public???'

    I for one am just happy to see people biking.....

  80. #80
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bikerdirragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace5high View Post
    Well, I wasn't trying to defend him. My point was just that the heckling always turns far worse and more childish than the OP posts... Its just uncalled for. Simply tell you guy you disagree with him and move on with life, ya know?
    Cheers bud, good call, and THAT statement I can totally agree with. Unfortunately we live in a world where people communicate as such, and that's just the way it is. I with you and certainly wish it wasn't. And I can certainly see where I do my fair share. Sorry if I was extra ******-y at ya. Safe riding!

  81. #81
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,939
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeL View Post
    Randyboy - showing his d ouchyness to the world ... again.
    I find that insulting and degrading, from someone like you, Lee Lau. Aren't you an Attorney up there in BC?

Similar Threads

  1. I Have Been Jaded..951 Owner Rode a M9
    By stunzeed in forum Intense
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-19-2011, 08:42 AM
  2. OT: When flagstaff.craigslist.org has me jaded...
    By gitCHu ONe in forum Arizona
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-19-2008, 09:26 PM
  3. Jaded? Am I? Hmmm...
    By screampint in forum Passion
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 07-24-2007, 10:47 AM
  4. Jaded? Am I? Hmmm... (X-post)
    By screampint in forum Women's Lounge
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-07-2007, 12:26 AM
  5. Jaded? Am I? Hmmm... (X-post)
    By screampint in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-04-2007, 07:17 AM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •