Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1
    swag ho Administrator
    Reputation: francois's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    17,965

    Info on Hucknroll.

    Hey guys,

    I'm going to post an info message here about HucknRoll so I can link to it from different places.

    HucknRoll is a new partner of mtbr and it is a very key relationship. It means a lot to us in terms of product review data and revenue. Here's some key things why they are cool.

    - They are a very, very good retailer. Their website is organized, clean and is 100% reliable. There are a ton of sorting and searching options.

    - They are the same company as Backcountry.com, Chainlove.com, Realcyclist.com, Dogfunk.com, Steepandcheap.com. (their sites)

    - They have 500 employees in Park City, Utah and they are serious about their business and their customer service.

    - They have a 30 day unconditional return policy. For support, they do live chat, email and they answer the phone.

    - Bikes ship free. And there's always free shipping promos. They now can combine shipping between all their sites.

    - If they say it's in stock, it is in stock.

    - If the order comes in before 3:30 Utah time, they will ship it out that day.

    - And finally, mtbr needs them and mtbr needs you to support our site and partners.


    Ratings:
    http://www.bizrate.com/ratings_guide...d--207125.html
    http://www99.epinions.com/webs-Web_S...splay_~reviews
    http://www.resellerratings.com/store...re_Backcountry

    fc
    founder, mtbr


    p.s. What's your buying/browsing experience with any of their sites?

  2. #2
    Old school BMXer
    Reputation: Blaster1200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,676
    Ah...I knew there was a reason for the moderators to push people to add their reviews to this site: Challenge to all in this forum!
    I guess that may also explain why some mods who represent various brands that aren't supported by the above allegiance probably won't acknowledge it (of course, mods with various brand allegiances is also somewhat of a conflict of interest, but that's another story).

    I have noticed that the answers to customers' questions along with the online technical support is answered by people who seem to have absolutely no knowledge of bicycles.

    HNR's product selection and prices is so-so at best, in my experience. We all know about the occasional great deals on chainlove, though. I've made a several purchases from chainlove and steapandcheap and had very quick shipping times.
    May the air be filled with tires!

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: daisycutter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,449
    I hate to see this type of thing. I have ordered from chain love and huck and roll and found them to be good sellers. This type of thread crosses the line. We all know the site needs sponsor $s but this crosses a credibility line for me. This is mtbr as in review not mtbs as in shill for the sponsors.

  4. #4
    Warrior's Society
    Reputation: mtnbikej's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    4,561
    How do we disable these damn underlined links.........like the ones in Lee's post and the ones in my post?

    No matter what subforum I am in, anything Santa Cruz or related to HNR(and it's other sites) is underlined with a Avantlink.

    How does we disble them........yes it is driving me crazy.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

  5. #5
    Old school BMXer
    Reputation: Blaster1200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,676
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej
    How do we disable these damn underlined links.........like the ones in Lee's post and the ones in my post?

    No matter what subforum I am in, anything Santa Cruz or related to HNR(and it's other sites) is underlined with a Avantlink.

    How does we disble them........yes it is driving me crazy.
    No kidding! Even j's signature makes it look like he's a shill for HNR.

    Quote Originally Posted by daisycutter
    I hate to see this type of thing. I have ordered from chain love and huck and roll and found them to be good sellers. This type of thread crosses the line. We all know the site needs sponsor $s but this crosses a credibility line for me. This is mtbr as in review not mtbs as in shill for the sponsors.
    Yup, mtbr has gone the way of mtb action, except in the case of mtb action, the reviewers are paid for their lame reviews. In this case, the owners of mtbr are profiting off the reviews.


    Quote Originally Posted by francois
    - And finally, mtbr needs them and mtbr needs you to support our site and partners.

    fc
    founder, mtbr
    You mean that you need to profit from posting their reviews. I understand that's how it has always been, though, so it is what it is. Most who've been here for a while know how useless the reviews truly are.
    May the air be filled with tires!

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    23
    Wow. Pretty lame.

  7. #7
    swag ho Administrator
    Reputation: francois's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    17,965
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej
    How do we disable these damn underlined links.........like the ones in Lee's post and the ones in my post?

    No matter what subforum I am in, anything Santa Cruz or related to HNR(and it's other sites) is underlined with a Avantlink.

    How does we disble them........yes it is driving me crazy.
    The underlines is an experiment. If they are not working out or are very annoying, we can disable them.

    fc

  8. #8
    swag ho Administrator
    Reputation: francois's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    17,965
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaster1200
    Ah...I knew there was a reason for the moderators to push people to add their reviews to this site: Challenge to all in this forum!
    I guess that may also explain why some mods who represent various brands that aren't supported by the above allegiance probably won't acknowledge it (of course, mods with various brand allegiances is also somewhat of a conflict of interest, but that's another story).

    I have noticed that the answers to customers' questions along with the online technical support is answered by people who seem to have absolutely no knowledge of bicycles.

    HNR's product selection and prices is so-so at best, in my experience. We all know about the occasional great deals on chainlove, though. I've made a several purchases from chainlove and steapandcheap and had very quick shipping times.

    Good feedback.

    There's no relationship at all with the moderators pushing reviews. I didn't even know about that.

    Although review is the foundation of this site 15 years ago and we've all kind of neglected it. We used to get over 100 reviews a day and we now get about 25.

    fc

  9. #9
    swag ho Administrator
    Reputation: francois's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    17,965
    Quote Originally Posted by daisycutter
    I hate to see this type of thing. I have ordered from chain love and huck and roll and found them to be good sellers. This type of thread crosses the line. We all know the site needs sponsor $s but this crosses a credibility line for me. This is mtbr as in review not mtbs as in shill for the sponsors.

    Point taken. Maybe we'll approach this another way.

    I think the issue here is I'd like everyone to consider supporting the site sponsors first. If not, it's ok as well.

    fc

  10. #10
    Old school BMXer
    Reputation: Blaster1200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,676
    I'd venture to guess that nobody minds site sponsors, and that we understand that they are needed. However, when site sponsors become intrusive into our posts is when it steps over the line. It's good to hear that the underlined links can be turned off.

    I'll be blunt. It was the way that the relationship was announced is what turned me off:

    "It means a lot to us in terms of product review data and revenue."

    and

    "And finally, mtbr needs them and mtbr needs you to support our site and partners."

    I probably wouldn't have commented had it just been a simple announcement of a new site sponsor, providing there were no new intrusions into posts/text without sounding so needy/greedy. Just like nobody likes a needy girlfriend.
    May the air be filled with tires!

  11. #11
    Warrior's Society
    Reputation: mtnbikej's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    4,561
    Quote Originally Posted by francois
    The underlines is an experiment. If they are not working out or are very annoying, we can disable them.

    fc


    Please disable them......in some posts they are excessive.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

  12. #12
    nocturnal oblivion
    Reputation: stumblemumble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,307
    So HucknRoll, Dogfunk, Santa Cruz Bikes, Tallboy, Heckler, Nomad, Backcountry, Blur, Jackal, V10, Superlight, Chainlove, SantaCruz, get linked to?

    Had to try it.
    "...like sex with the trail." - Boe

  13. #13
    nocturnal oblivion
    Reputation: stumblemumble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,307
    I don't see a problem with promoting the aforementioned sites, if they're sponsors that's what you do. Also, they are decent sites. If you want LBS "knowledge about bikes" then shop at your LBS. If you know what you want and they say they have it, like Francis said, they will have it and it'll be a good price.
    The link thing is obnoxious. It'd make me not want to see the Santa Cruz forum.
    "...like sex with the trail." - Boe

  14. #14
    ~Disc~Golf~
    Reputation: highdelll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    17,174
    what 'underlines' -
    I guess I'm either not seeing them or getting what you guys are talking about
    Honestly, you just take a deep breath and say Fuck it.

  15. #15
    tl1
    tl1 is offline
    Bicyclist
    Reputation: tl1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,840

    How could it cross a line?

    Quote Originally Posted by daisycutter
    I hate to see this type of thing. I have ordered from chain love and huck and roll and found them to be good sellers. This type of thread crosses the line. We all know the site needs sponsor $s but this crosses a credibility line for me. This is mtbr as in review not mtbs as in shill for the sponsors.
    When Francis himself is outlining the partnership out in the open? Had it been a veiled or concealed deal I could possibly see your point. As to reviews themselves, I stopped reading them years ago. When one guy with an axe to grind can derail the whole chili ratings system it's lost its value.

  16. #16
    Tá mé ar meisce.
    Reputation: BeerCan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    610
    I don't mind the sponsors but PLEASE turn the underlines off. I hate that.
    To see what is right, and not to do it, is want of courage or of principle. -- Confucius
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come join me at the Swamp

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    97
    I like the underlines, it makes it simple to hyperlink to a site. I really don't see anyway it could be a negative.

  18. #18
    GAME ON!
    Reputation: saturnine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,968
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercurial
    I like the underlines, it makes it simple to hyperlink to a site. I really don't see anyway it could be a negative.
    because not everyone wants to link to a sponsor's site. hypothetically, if i have something negative to say about any of those companies, the last thing i'd want to do is hyperlink to all of their sites and products. i find it intrusive. it will lead to other advertisers paying more to have the same thing happen and every post will have a link to a product.

  19. #19
    nocturnal oblivion
    Reputation: stumblemumble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,307
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    because not everyone wants to link to a sponsor's site. hypothetically, if i have something negative to say about any of those companies, the last thing i'd want to do is hyperlink to all of their sites and products. i find it intrusive. it will lead to other advertisers paying more to have the same thing happen and every post will have a link to a product.
    Great point. I just thought the links were obnoxious but that's a very valid point.
    "...like sex with the trail." - Boe

  20. #20
    swag ho Administrator
    Reputation: francois's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    17,965
    We turned off the auto linking of words now. The test words were:
    tallboy, nomad, blur, yeti 575.

    That was a test and it is intrusive. And it was affecting folk's signatures and that's just bad.

    The other auto links are for hucknroll sites. So if you mention their url, it will get hotlinked. That's not bad necessarily and just makes things easier for other users. We'll leave this on for now.

    Thanks for the feedback.

    fc

  21. #21
    ~Disc~Golf~
    Reputation: highdelll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    17,174
    Thanks FC for being at least communicative - while I still don't like threads started by Admin. promoting brands/retailers - your willingness to engage users' qualms is nice.
    At least this thread was not a 'Sticky' (that I'm aware of)

    ...still never saw any hyper-linked (under-lined) words on my end....
    Honestly, you just take a deep breath and say Fuck it.

  22. #22
    swag ho Administrator
    Reputation: francois's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    17,965
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    Thanks FC for being at least communicative - while I still don't like threads started by Admin. promoting brands/retailers - your willingness to engage users' qualms is nice.
    At least this thread was not a 'Sticky' (that I'm aware of)

    ...still never saw any hyper-linked (under-lined) words on my end....
    Yep, a thread is not the smartest format to communicate this message. I'll move it to our blog or something. It's good to hear from all y'all yo.

    fc

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    603
    The people who lable this a "shill thread" wouldn't complain if the thread included a 35% coupon code for H&R and MTBR Super Promotion THread. HINT HINT

    I've bought lots of stuff from the Backcountry sites, no complaints.

  24. #24
    Tulsa
    Reputation: rojogonzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,081
    nothing but good experiences with steap and cheap and chainlove
    wherever you go, there you are

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    113
    this is a pretty disappointing thread. You should have just said "please welcome our newest sponsor, here's their website, here's what they do" and call it a day. If they are pushing you to hawk their ***** and write these posts then tell them to F off.

    This type of stuff ruins the credibility of the site.

    BTW I love hucknroll and all their sites, i just think this is the exact wrong direction for the thread/post/site

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •