Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

I have a great name for a Titanium bike company.

It could be the name of the company or the name of a bike that the company makes. A great name can mean everything to a company. With so much competition out there, it takes a company that is doing everything right on many different levels, in order to rise to the top. A good name is just one level. My name is catchy and also has a dual meaning. One of those meanings has something to do with what a lot of bike riders like to do when we are not riding. The other meaning, obviously, has to do with bikes.

The only thing I ask for, in exchange for my name is a one of your custom Titanium bikes.
    PM me with a link to your website and lets talk!

I added this from below to explain things a little:
    This is kind of a hobby of mine. Coming up with names, new product ideas or ways to make a product better. So this isn't the first time, or last time, I have done this. Sometimes I get a free product, sometimes I get a licensing fee, sometimes nothing comes of it. I came up with the idea of doing this from a great marketing teacher that I had in college. His name was Jerry Fetch, he did the same thing all the time. it's kinda fun.
    Last edited by Mountain Cycle Shawn; 03-08-2011 at 03:40 PM.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Hey, what's so funny? Iv'e done this kinda thing before. I'm full of a million ideas!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    One of the funniest posts EVAR!
    Beechwold Cycle Works
    Columbus, OH
    http://beechwoldcycleworks.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Framebuilder
    Give it up, nobody will ever be able to top Dick Power.
    http://www.bikecult.com/works/archiv...dpowerTKC.html

Student of the Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn
    It could be the name of the company or the name of a bike that the company makes. A great name can mean everything to a company. With so much competition out there, it takes a company that is doing everything right on many different levels, in order to rise to the top. A good name is just one level. My name is catchy and also has a dual meaning. One of those meanings has something to do with what a lot of bike riders like to do when we are not riding. The other meaning, obviously, has to do with bikes.

The only thing I ask for, in exchange for my name is a one of your custom Titanium bikes.
    PM me with a link to your website and lets talk!

Ok deal.

Once your amazing bike frame name has caused us to sell 100 ti frames per year, you will get your free frame.

Ok deal?
    CJB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CBaron
    Ok deal.

Once your amazing bike frame name has caused us to sell 100 ti frames per year, you will get your free frame.

Ok deal?
    CJB
    A name by itself isn't going to cause you to sell a certain # of items. Like I said in the OP, you have to have a lot going for you on many different levels to be a success. A good name is just one of the many parts. I will take a look at what you make. But, I'm sorry, I won't agree to getting paid, after you sell 100 units/year. If it was based on units, I would ask for a licensing fee.
    Last edited by Mountain Cycle Shawn; 03-08-2011 at 03:33 PM.

mtbr member
    I think this is a great idea - however I would feel bad only giving you one custom frame for all your hard work...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tamen00
    I think this is a great idea - however I would feel bad only giving you one custom frame for all your hard work...
    I know it's tough, but someones got to do it. It's kind of a hobby of mine. Coming up with names, new product ideas or ways to make a product better. So this isn't the first time, or last time, I have done this. Sometimes I get a free product, sometimes I get a licensing fee, sometimes nothing comes of it. I came up with the idea of doing this from a great marketing teacher that I had in college. His name was Jerry Fetch, he did the same thing all the time. it's kinda fun.
    Last edited by Mountain Cycle Shawn; 03-08-2011 at 02:22 PM.

I'm just messing with you
    You should make an infomercial
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob
    You should make an infomercial
    About what?

pvd
    mtbr member
    Is it better than 'Mountain Cycle Shawn'?

That's some amazing skills you gots.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I admire the chudzpah. I'll bet you've got some good stories, what is the most grief you've gotten from a proposal like this and still gotten paid? Or alternately what is the wackiest thing you've come up with that you were able to convert into goods, services or money?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Is it better than 'Mountain Cycle Shawn'?

That's some amazing skills you gots.
    I think it's better then pvd, more commenly known as - Peripheral vascular disease.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by j-ro
    I admire the chudzpah. I'll bet you've got some good stories, what is the most grief you've gotten from a proposal like this and still gotten paid? Or alternately what is the wackiest thing you've come up with that you were able to convert into goods, services or money?
    Your 1st ? - Here. Edit - I haven't been paid, so I guess thats not true. I have so many ideas, I have to write them down, or I'll forget them. The only ones I tell, without a non-disclosure agreement are my BF/my financial adviser/financial wizard and my GF. They let me know if my idea is a bad idea.

Your 2nd ? - All parties involved sign a non-disclosure agreement.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-disclosure_agreement
    Last edited by Mountain Cycle Shawn; 03-08-2011 at 04:01 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CBaron
    Ok deal.

Ok deal?
    CJB
    Wouldn't be kinda hard to sell 100 titanium frames/year when you don't offer titanium frames and the frames you do make are made one at a time, in your spare time?

Who turned out the lights
    I don't think I'd want to name my bike "Malted Hops and Bong Resin". Nice try though.

Eric the Red
    Thanks, man. I'm gonna name my company Troll Cycles. I'll be boxing up your frame soon. That was awesome.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by edoz
    Thanks, man. I'm gonna name my company Troll Cycles. I'll be boxing up your frame soon. That was awesome.
    That would be an appropiate name for you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)

That was awesome!

mtbr member
    I think Titus is already taken?
    No longer member of the bike industry nor society, so don't hassle me.

mtbr member
    Sean, if you think your name idea is good, trademark it. The cost is cheap, compared to even a single Ti frame. Who knows what might happen.

Framebuilder
    I know it's tough, but someones got to do it. It's kind of a hobby of mine. Coming up with names, new product ideas or ways to make a product better..
    And it's just a coincidence that these ideas come to you around 4:20 everyday?

Edit: I see FB beat me to it...well played!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Live Wire

That's funny and ironic that you say that. Iv'e never gone there (4:20) and never will. I know it's hard to believe. The Sheriff's department didn't believe me either when I was getting into the academy. I almost didn't make it because of that. They kinda had a problem with my under aged GF also.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    What's the name?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy FitzGibbon
    What's the name?
    Do you make Titanium Bicycles? Are you ready to sign a non disclosure agreement?

mtbr member

I do a crap at the same time every day. Does that mean I'm a stoner?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thylacine
    I do a crap at the same time every day. Does that mean I'm a stoner?
    Do you take said crap at 4:20?

mtbr member
    No, I wish I had though, because then the name of my company would be dope.

mtbr member
    Brown Dope

mtbr member
    Do you make Titanium Bicycles? Are you ready to sign a non disclosure agreement?
    I will, send me a non disclosure and I'll sign it. If the name is so good that it will work, I'll start a company and send you a frame. My guess is it isn't that good and you won't get anything. Prove me wrong.

mtbr member
    No thanks, I don't need to prove anything to anyone. I've done this before and I'll do it again. If you could start a bike company, You would have done it by now. And just so you know, a non disclosure agreement means non disclosure, before and after a deal is done. Which means, If I find someone who wants the name and they buy it, the only people who will know about it (where the name came from) will be those who have signed the non disclosure agreement.
    Last edited by Mountain Cycle Shawn; 03-13-2011 at 01:51 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jay_ntwr
    I will, send me a non disclosure and I'll sign it. If the name is so good that it will work, I'll start a company and send you a frame. My guess is it isn't that good and you won't get anything. Prove me wrong.
    I suspect he'd make more money from you when you are compelled to post the name online because it's so funny.

Nobody is interested mate. People don't trawl internet forums looking for a name for new framebuilding ventures. They just use their dad's middle name, or some obscure movie reference, or some stupid extinct animal.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You need to post over at frameforum or velocipedesalon. I'm sure some one over there will bite.

Tim

Framebuilder
    No thanks, I don't need to prove anything to anyone. I've done this before and I'll do it again. If you could start a bike company, You would have done it by now. And just so you know, a non disclosure agreement means non disclosure, before and after a deal is done. Which means, If I find someone who wants the name and they buy it, the only people who will know about it will be those who have signed the non disclosure agreement.
    Wow, I thought this whole thread was a joke at first, I guess you were serious! Good on you for rolling with my stupid stoner joke though

Still, look at Dick Power, he sold bikes....the name doesn't really matter.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by D.F.L.
    Sean, if you think your name idea is good, trademark it. The cost is cheap, compared to even a single Ti frame. Who knows what might happen.
    Trademarking is not so easy.

AZ
    banned
    Trademarking is not so easy.

Niether is building a frame. Just sayin.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    I've heard it can be if you just outsource the work and don't bother to check the tolerances the actual builder is working to or the specs of a finished frame.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    That's why I don't build them. Just sayin'.

mtbr member
    Give it up, nobody will ever be able to top Dick Power.
    http://www.bikecult.com/works/archiv...dpowerTKC.html
    I remember people buying "Sex Wax" T-Shirts back in the 80's here in Kansas City. I believe the closest any of us came to a surf board was ABC's wide world of sports. Yet we all had to have the shirt that said "Sex Wax". Just imagine a T-Shirt that said "Dick Power".

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crank1979@optusnet.com.au
    I've heard it can be if you just outsource the work and don't bother to check the tolerances the actual builder is working to or the specs of a finished frame.
    I think that's funny!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CurbDestroyer
    I remember people buying "Sex Wax" T-Shirts back in the 80's here in Kansas City. I believe the closest any of us came to a surf board was ABC's wide world of sports. Yet we all had to have the shirt that said "Sex Wax". Just imagine a T-Shirt that said "Dick Power".
    Just think if we had someone name Dick running for President. Dick for President. I was going to say something about our current president, that might get me in trouble though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    No thanks, I don't need to prove anything to anyone. I've done this before and I'll do it again. If you could start a bike company, You would have done it by now. And just so you know, a non disclosure agreement means non disclosure, before and after a deal is done. Which means, If I find someone who wants the name and they buy it, the only people who will know about it will be those who have signed the non disclosure agreement.
    So, wait a minute. You'll only deal with folks ALREADY running a bike company?

No one is going to want to change the name of their business. No name is so good that it's worth burning all the reputation they've already built, throwing out all the stickers and forms and other company property with their name already on it, etc.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Val Garou
    So, wait a minute. You'll only deal with folks ALREADY running a bike company?

No one is going to want to change the name of their business. No name is so good that it's worth burning all the reputation they've already built, throwing out all the stickers and forms and other company property with their name already on it, etc.
    Plus the legal and tax related work, fees, registration, etc. Also pay someone to rebuild a website and graphics. I'm sure there's more too

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    Plus the legal and tax related work, fees, registration, etc. Also pay someone to rebuild a website and graphics. I'm sure there's more too
    I was thinking more for a start-up company. Or, if you read the OP the name could be, and probably would be more suited for the name of a specific bike that the company makes. It would be for a specific type of bike, but type of bike would give a clue to the name. So, I won't say what type of bike.

mtbr member
    I was thinking more for a start-up company. Or, if you read the OP the name could be, and probably would be more suited for the name of a specific bike that the company makes. It would be for a specific type of bike, but type of bike would give a clue to the name. So, I won't say what type of bike.

This is where you are flat delusional. I am a start up company and you nixed me 'cause you said I'd already have started a company if I were serious. Chicken and the egg....

Anyway, I'm really not interested and I'm sure your name sucks too.

mtbr member
    If the name is so good that it will work, I'll start a company and send you a frame.
    Well, which is it? Are you in the process of starting a company that makes Titanium bikes? Or, like you said above: Will you start a company if my name is good? There is a very big difference.

mtbr member
    This is where you are flat delusional. I am a start up company and you nixed me 'cause you said I'd already have started a company if I were serious. Chicken and the egg....

Anyway, I'm really not interested and I'm sure your name sucks too.
    Good for you! That's the way to tell me off!

mtbr member
    Is it TITAN:US ?

mtbr member
    Hmmm... Let me think.... All those amazing names that define and drive the biggest bike brands:

Giant
    Trek
    Specialized
    Santa Cruz
    Chris King
    Thomson

And those funky names that make boutique brands so - ooh I am squirming - sell like hot cakes....

Seven
    Serotta
    Independent Fabrications
    Eriksen

Sorry to burst your bubble and say this isn't facebook or google country. Unless you have a unique idea to make your name you're just smokin.

Now lets have your name so we can all witness the auction that follows.

And for the record.... You don't need a trademark. Your first post of this new unique idea RIGHT HERE will be enough. In fact by posting it in public you actually establish a claim! Hows that!

By sharing it with us if by some twist of luck some schmuck actually made it big by ripping you - you'd have a claim for more than a frame. I'll even underwrite your claim for 30%. Such is the value of a public forum.

Give it up - this post will rock for a while and so will you! Do you want to protect your name. Post it - then we'll know its yours.
    Last edited by Coldass; 03-12-2011 at 02:32 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast