Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    AZ
    banned

How to Spot a Dbag Bike Dooosh

When did MTBing become so hate filled? Anyone?

Call me Phred

How to Spot a Dbag Bike Dooosh

Some hang out on bike forums and form cliques to boost their egos by constantly putting down newcomers to the sport and those with less advanced skills, and heaven forbid, budget bikes.

Some of the tactics and mind games they use are
    When a newcomer asks advice on bike purchase within a budget, they immediately say to at least double or triple it.

They act like a five pound difference in bike weights is Earth shattering and quickly dismiss budget bikes as just way too heavy. They are obviously weaklings.

They talk about normal people riding bikes in regular shorts(baggies) and cotton t-shirts as if they are the lowest of life forms.

They act as though their technical terrain(root and rock staircases & such) separates the worthy from the lower life forms. They call those of us that aren't into the technical terrain newbies even though some of us have been riding bikes on trails for 30+ years.

They use their bikes as status symbols and snicker and comment among themselves at others that ride bikes in budget oriented price ranges.

They pose themselves as experts in advice oriented threads interjecting minutia that doesn't even matter to the person that asked for the advice.

They push their personal preferences as the only valid way and dismiss any other way as ignorant; and they will argue, scream, and pound the table over it.

They run up post counts as if they are counting pennies and run around in their cliques repping each other for green chicklets like it's monopoly money.

They show up to the trails with shiny, blingy bikes and strut around in their bike racing attire as if they are the coolest thing in the parking lot.

They get all huffy that the mere normal person would take too long to get out of their way and cause 7 seconds to get added to their average loop time.

They make unfriendly eye contact to let you know that you're not worthy of a greeting or an acknowledgement that you said hello.

mtbr member
    Wow, A little insecure there??? You got mad squabbles, son.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    IDK Man. Think it's just on here since it seems people are always helpful, friendly, and figure a way to get past each other and say HI on the trails.
    "Tortured by mental illness" ~monogod

conjoinicorned
    About the same time the internets appeared.
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

Bicycle Addict
    I see what you mean.
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing

banned
    WOW, I recall when it didnt matter what you were riding or wearing as long as you were on two wheels.

Perhaps some of us need to volunteer more. Lead a group ride of beginners. Do some trail maint. Attend a land management meeting. Stop and help an inexperienced rider change a flat.

Relax people. Take a valium. Do a bong hit. Kick the family dog. Go for a freakin bike ride. Do something.

(Makes note not to click on the general tab. To much bad mojo.)

Hell Track
    Yeah this is just getting stupid! Really great way to build the mountain bike community.
    Why do some of you care so much about what others think of your bike or clothing? that's they're problem not yours
    Last edited by crewjones; 05-14-2012 at 02:43 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Troll View Post
    WOW, I recall when it didnt matter what you were riding or wearing as long as you were on two wheels.

Perhaps some of us need to volunteer more. Lead a group ride of beginners. Do some trail maint. Attend a land management meeting. Stop and help an inexperienced rider change a flat.

Relax people. Take a valium. Do a bong hit. Kick the family dog. Go for a freakin bike ride. Do something.

x2
    Without rules, we all might as well be up in a tree flinging our crap at each other. Red Foreman - That 70's show.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Troll View Post

Rest of the site is great. It's just this section and Off Camber section that drags the place down. Yeah, I still visit the sections, not sure why really, but I do. One of these days I'll learn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Can't we all just get along? Like a guy I worked with use
    to say," its so nice to be nice."

Best, John

mtbr member
    There's thread after thread of the same themes in mtbr today, is there something I missed? Why do so many people feel especially compelled lately to point out posers, phreds, roadies and general jackasses? Is there something I missed? The world isn't supposed to turn belly up until december 21st, but maybe the preliminaries have already started.

Vincit qui patitur
    It's not just MTB. It's cars, Jeeps, MCs, etc.
    I do have a problem with the guys racing through multi-use trails like they own it.
    GF was almost hit Sunday morning while she was hiking. (South Mountain, AZ)
    Bikes are to YIELD to horses and hikers as well as riders traveling uphill.
    Vincit qui patitur
    2012 GT Karakoram 3.0
    2012 Salsa Spearfish 2
    2014 KONA Process 153
    2013 Giant Defy
    2012 Access TCL

Afric Pepperbird
    I swear when I looked at this thread earlier, you had a different response. I liked that one better. Can you please re-post it?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I can't say this is my experience in my area. People out on the trails are friendly and respectful IMO. They pull over for faster riders, say hello and ask about bikes in the parking lot. Waiting for races to start you can just walk up to about anyone and start a conversation about moutain biking.

On this website people argue about which is better, who is superior because of their purchase selection etc. We participate in this sport for fun might as well relax and enjoy it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ferday View Post
    About the same time the internets appeared.
    You know what? I think you're right.

Back in the 90's, mountain biking was very chilled because everyone just got on with it and had a laugh. But with the arrival of the Internet we were subjected to all manner of propaganda from manufacturers in order to get money from our pockets.

This pressure causes people to seek out like minds for comfort on their particular choices. The end result is the clique culture that develops.

Titanium junkie
    It's all faceless here, everybody is ten feet tall and carries
    a big stick. I understand what the OP is saying, as I have noticed
    the change also. My rep is generally handed out in the Beginners Forum,
    as they need all the help they can get when they log on here.
    Go against the grain folks, try to be decent.
    Climb into the sky, never wonder why - Tailgunner
    You're a Tailgunner

Front Range, Colorado
    I hate this place. I love this place. It's not just what's for dinner it's also breakfast and lunch and everything in-between. Huh? What did he say?
    These Pretzels are Making Me Thirsty Compilation - YouTube
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^^^Rock Garden

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Yep, it's like being in a fraternity and watching soap operas all day long. Soup Sandwich is what this place is becoming. Personally I don't ride at all, I just keep a bunch of bikes in my garage to look cool.

Just negged the OP and forgot to sig, sorry.
    Last edited by Chapped (o) Hole; 05-14-2012 at 05:36 PM.

Flow like water
    I love these threads!

It is hard to say anything wrong in them.
    Everybody gets to be an opinion.

Probably drunk right now

You forgot to add...

They make specious leaps in logic and broad based assumptions based on their own myopic assumptions.

Great post....
    JPark - 3.5- don't listen to dremer

Titanium junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Chapped (o) Hole View Post
    Yep, it's like being in a fraternity and watching soap operas all day long. Soup Sandwich is what this place is becoming. Personally I don't ride at all, I just keep a bunch of bikes in my garage to look cool.
    Just negged the OP and forgot to sig, sorry.
    And your reasoning, other than you had nothing better to do.
    Climb into the sky, never wonder why - Tailgunner
    You're a Tailgunner

better than I deserve
    I just love a good ole romp out in the woods.........

mtbr member
    You know, all these posts about snobs etc. lately, its the same in many other activities...does anyone here surf...man...some of these guys wouldn't last a minute at a crowded break with all the nasty looks etc. I remember plenty of this same behavior towards newbs etc.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Loudviking View Post
    And your reasoning, other than you had nothing better to do.
    Since you asked, all of these newb, poser and *****bag posts are ridiculous. Nothing more than the OP trying to bury his nose up anyone's ass who's willing to agree with him. Bought my first MTB in 89 and I've never felt the urge to classify anyone. We all start somewhere, what's the point? Thanks for your concern.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast