Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008

How to patch pinhole on hydration reservoir?

I just got a brand new Hydrapak Selva and the reservoir had a pinhole in it. Got it from Jenson USA and they are sending me a replacement bladder at no charge and let me keep the defective one. Since the hole is pretty small I'm thinking of trying to patch it so I can have it as a reserve. Anybody done this before? The hole is big enough to cause a trickle but not that big that it's spewing water. It's literally a pinhole, can't even really see it that well except for the water droplets coming out.

mtbr member
    I've never had any experience with this, but since it is only a pin size hole. I'm guessing just a dab of silicone glue would patch it up. Once its dried up its actually flexible. Though I don't how it will hold up with the plastic material that Hydrapak uses.

mtbr member
    I never repaired one, but I would try a patch kit for an inner tube. Or maybe one that you would use to repair a raft or an air matress.

AZ
    banned
    Water bed mattress patch.

Flow like water
    Do you have a bike tube repair kit?
    There you go.

I'd probably get some heavy duty clear tape, and cut a small circle out of it. Helicopter tape would be ideal. Clear packing tape should work. If it is a circular patch, it will be less likely to crinkle up at the edges.

El Pollo Diablo
    Super glue plus duct tape.
    Hell, just super glue ought to work.

Poacher
    Sep 2010

Throw it away.

It is broken. Broken when you got it. Save the mouthpiece. I use Camelback bladders for about a year or two (4 days a week). then toss 'em. I Clean it once every 2 months or so. New ones are worth $25 you pay for them. TOSS IT

mtbr member
    I would worry about chemicals leaking into the water you drink. I would use aquarium glue. If it's safe for fish, then it's safe for you.
    - Ed

2012 Trek Madone 6.7 SSL
    2013 Specialized Tricross Comp Disc
    2011 Trek Top Fuel 9.9 SSL
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2

Sweat is just fat crying.
    Quote Originally Posted by hoolie View Post
    It is broken. Broken when you got it. Save the mouthpiece. I use Camelback bladders for about a year or two (4 days a week). then toss 'em. I Clean it once every 2 months or so. New ones are worth $25 you pay for them. TOSS IT
    Word.

Sorry I missed your Satan post, man.
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

mtbr member
    May 2012
    hold on to it, and send it to hydrapak for a replacement bladder a year later.

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by ecub View Post
    I would worry about chemicals leaking into the water you drink. I would use aquarium glue. If it's safe for fish, then it's safe for you.
    Ha,ha maybe for you but not me. I hold myself a little higher on the totem pole than a fish. No matter what glue or patch kit or silicone you use is it worth stressing out on, if the chemicals are being ingested through the water you drink. NOT for me I vote on the "toss it" suggestion.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    A dab 'o Show Goo would do the trick, but the tire patch should work. Ditto on the water bed patch. With a pinhole sized leak, your exposure to chemicals would be negligible.
    Not saying you ought to abandon the old hydration bladder, but I really like the new CamelBack bladder. Several major improvements made it worth the $$ for me:
    Divided bladder; water does not slosh
    The cap is now very, very easy to tighten and equally easy to remove, which makes my arthritic hands very, very happy--no more titanic struggles to open it up. An easy quarter twist and you are done
    The drinking tube now detaches/reattaches easily to the bladder. Makes it so much easier to take the bladder out to fill up, without being tethered to the pack.

Suckin wind like a boss
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE, View Post
    Ha,ha maybe for you but not me. I hold myself a little higher on the totem pole than a fish. No matter what glue or patch kit or silicone you use is it worth stressing out on, if the chemicals are being ingested through the water you drink. NOT for me I vote on the "toss it" suggestion.
    DJ i agree with the toss it suggestion as well- but as far as the aquarium glue goes...he had a good point. it would probably be the best choice, if you absolutely HAD to fix it.
    If you arent bleeding, you arent riding hard enough.
    http://about.me/bigterry

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    I don't need sex. My life fvcks me daily.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I've never once cleaned out my camelbak... in 4 years.

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by ecub View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by arkon11 View Post
    I've never once cleaned out my camelbak... in 4 years.
    That's kinda scary if you don't freeze it. I have never cleaned mine either but that's because after each ride I leave a small amount of water in it and throw it in the freezer
    This keeps any bacteria from forming.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Two scoops of Stans and shake er' around.

DIY all the way
    Weld it with a dab of PE.

Magura

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by DavyRay View Post
    Do you have a bike tube repair kit?
    There you go.

I'd probably get some heavy duty clear tape, and cut a small circle out of it. Helicopter tape would be ideal. Clear packing tape should work. If it is a circular patch, it will be less likely to crinkle up at the edges.
    Are you suggesting to reinforce the bike patch with heavy duty clear tape or clear tape? Or are you saying to use the tape if I don't have a bike tube repair kit? I do have one. Thanks for the suggestions and especially about making the patch circular. I read about that too, that patches with corners will tend to lift up..

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by laztpn0i View Post
    I've never had any experience with this, but since it is only a pin size hole. I'm guessing just a dab of silicone glue would patch it up. Once its dried up its actually flexible. Though I don't how it will hold up with the plastic material that Hydrapak uses.
    Upon close inspection it wasn't actually literally a pin sized hole. Or maybe it was then it got a bit bigger because of the water flowing out of it. Anyway, thanks for the suggestion, I didn't know what silicone glue was. I will probably try a bike patch or a water bed vinyl patch first because of the size of the hole but I'm glad I heard of silicone glue.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by June Bug View Post
    A dab 'o Show Goo would do the trick, but the tire patch should work. Ditto on the water bed patch. With a pinhole sized leak, your exposure to chemicals would be negligible.
    Not saying you ought to abandon the old hydration bladder, but I really like the new CamelBack bladder. Several major improvements made it worth the $$ for me:
    Divided bladder; water does not slosh
    The cap is now very, very easy to tighten and equally easy to remove, which makes my arthritic hands very, very happy--no more titanic struggles to open it up. An easy quarter twist and you are done
    The drinking tube now detaches/reattaches easily to the bladder. Makes it so much easier to take the bladder out to fill up, without being tethered to the pack.
    I actually have a Camelback Consigliere and I do love the bladder too. I actually bought the Consigliere and Hydrapak Selva at the same time because I could not decide which one I liked better. I liked the reversible, super easy to clean bladder of the Selva but the Consigliere is a better pack, in that it's bigger, looks nicer and more durable. The Selva though is more lightweight and seems to be waterproof or at least water resistant. I have another back pack that has a similar material and when it rains, the contents of my bag are kept dry (as long as the pack is on my back and the back panel is not exposed). Anyway, I gave the Selva to my sister because she's 12 and she was very amused about having a bag with a straw. LOL I can still take it away from her if I wanted to use it for a day hahaha.

Anyway, JensonUSA sent a replacement bladder and were kind enough to send me the more expensive bladder with shape shift. Basically, the same as the Camelbak Antidote bladder with the middle baffle. I don't know why Hydrapak just doesn't equip all their packs with their new "Shape Shift" bladder. It's annoying. I wish they did what Camelbak did and just equipped all the new packs with the new Antidote bladder. Anyway...

The Camelbak bladder seems more durable but it's harder (not hard but harder than the Hydrapak) to fill and clean. The Antidote bite valve is way better too. But as I have read in one thread, just replace the Hydrapak bladders with a Nalgene bite valve (or Camelbak) and all is well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Magura View Post
    Weld it with a dab of PE.

Magura
    PE = Penis Exercises/Enlargement?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowMongoose View Post
    Super glue plus duct tape.
    Hell, just super glue ought to work.
    This could be the most ghetto suggestion so far. LOL But duct tape is awesome. I prefer the cleaner look of maybe a bike patch or water bed vinyl patch but if those don't work I will probably try this.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rtsideup View Post
    Two scoops of Stans and shake er' around.
    Seriously? I haven't done tubeless but do you really think this would work? I'm not very familiar with how sealant works but I think I get the picture... but if this would work it might be the cleanest way to go..

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Yeah I'm not worried about the chemicals. It's such a small hole that it would be pretty negligible. And I think that if the glue is already all dried up it wouldn't seep into the water.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Looks alright!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast