Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    K, it's not holding. I tried to rough up the surface of the bladder but it's not really doing it. I'm afraid to get aggressive with roughing it up because I might poke more holes or weaken it.

Ba ba ba bird bird bird
    Toss it

mtbr member
    I would try a waterbed or pool patch. Any vinyl patch should work

mtbr member
    Just use a vinyl pool-toy patch kit. They're made to hold under water.
    I'm enjoying my childhood way too much to ever give it up.

mtbr member
    Stan's sealant.

How much further ???
    JB Weld.

Seriously buy a new one
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by MattC555 View Post
    Toss it
    Sorry but that's not a suggestion on "How to patch pinhole on hydration reservoir". Please reply again when you have a possible viable method of patching it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Douger-1 View Post
    JB Weld.

Seriously buy a new one
    I don't need a new one. I have a perfectly good Camelbak. This came with my Hydrapak and I've gotten a replacement already from JensonUSA but they said I didn't need to send back the faulty one. So I really don't need to spend more money for another bladder. This is just for fun and since the bladder isn't totally ruined and seems like it can be fixed. Why waste money when I can fix it? And I'm not worried about chemicals due to the size of the hole.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Yeah I think I'm gonna try the Vinyl Patch. It's not the water issue that's making it come off. The inner tube patch is just not holding I think mainly due to the surface type of the bladder and that I can't really rough it up too much. Anyway, I might just try Epoxy glue with the same rubber patch if the Vinyl doesn't work.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Vinyl Patch not working. I feel like it's just because I'm not roughing up the surface enough for fear of tearing right through the rubber. I might try some really sticky clear tape. Someone suggested Helicopter tape. We'll see how that works.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I've patched a couple small leaks in bladders before using Park glueless patches. The bladders are still holding and are still in service.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I had a similar leak with a CamelBak bladder. I used 100% silicone glue, and it's held for a couple of years now. I think you can even get kitchen-safe silicone sealants, which hopefully minimizes any chemical leaching....

I think I used this: Walmart.com: Dap 00684 Dow Corning Clear Silicone Rubber Sealant: Sealants, Fillers & Adhesives
    Last edited by Jbird72; 07-26-2012 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Add link

Front Range, Colorado
    Jon the OP so what's the hold up? It's obvious you're dead set on fixing it. There are numerous suggestions on how to patch it. And It's been what a week now. Have you tried anything yet? Wouldn't it be less hassle to just toss it.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 07-28-2012 at 06:43 AM.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE, View Post
    Jon the OP so what's the hold up? It's obvious you're dead set on fixing it. There are numerous suggestions on how to patch it. And It's been what a week now. Have you tried anything yet? Wouldn't it be less hassle to just toss it.
    Have you read the entire thread?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic View Post
    I've patched a couple small leaks in bladders before using Park glueless patches. The bladders are still holding and are still in service.
    There's a number of bad reviews about this product not holding up but that may be due to inadequate prep. I'm curious to try this because it seems like you use sandpaper to rough up your surface instead of the metal grater thing that is supplied with most patch kits, and it has a pre-applied adhesive on the patch. On the other hand, I might just try roughing up with sandpaper first and patching with my current patch kit and see how that goes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbird72 View Post
    I had a similar leak with a CamelBak bladder. I used 100% silicone glue, and it's held for a couple of years now. I think you can even get kitchen-safe silicone sealants, which hopefully minimizes any chemical leaching....

I think I used this: Walmart.com: Dap 00684 Dow Corning Clear Silicone Rubber Sealant: Sealants, Fillers & Adhesives
    Did you just put a glob of glue on the hole and let the glue harden to form a seal?

DAP Products - Silicone Sealants - DAP® Household/Aquarium Adhesive Sealant

says it's food safe. if truly a pinhole, a dab should work. if the hole is bigger than that, you will need to reinforce it with a patch. anything that sticks to silicone will work.

keep in mind, silicone does not stick to all plastics. sometimes you need a special adhesive depending on the type of plastic you're working with. those will not be food grade. otherwise, wrap it in duct tape and use it until it dies.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I'd definitely go with a tube (like water tube) patch kit... those things can work wonders!

Diggity Dog
    Most bladders are made of polyurethane as are waterbeds. Try the waterbed patch kit as AZ.MTNS suggested a week ago.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Melt it closed

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jon777 View Post
    There's a number of bad reviews about this product not holding up but that may be due to inadequate prep. I'm curious to try this because it seems like you use sandpaper to rough up your surface instead of the metal grater thing that is supplied with most patch kits, and it has a pre-applied adhesive on the patch. On the other hand, I might just try roughing up with sandpaper first and patching with my current patch kit and see how that goes.
    *shrug* I've always had excellent luck with the Park glueless patches, and they're all I use now.

Front Range, Colorado
    Have you read the entire thread?
    Apparently not, but it seems to me that there is still talk of how to do it. Reading every post of how sounds like too much work. Can you give me a quick rundown on the latest. What have you tried anything?
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by OGWGFIWRT View Post
    Most bladders are made of polyurethane as are waterbeds. Try the waterbed patch kit as AZ.MTNS suggested a week ago.
    And I did as I mentioned 23 hours ago.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE, View Post
    Reading every post of how sounds like too much work.
    If two pages is too much for you to read, I don't know why you are a member of a forum..unless it's just because you want to say something without thought to what has already been said before. There's a reason it's called a discussion board. And you never learned "skimming" when you were in high school?

Front Range, Colorado
    If two pages is too much for you to read, I don't know why you are a member of a forum..unless it's just because you want to say something without thought to what has already been said before. There's a reason it's called a discussion board. And you never learned "skimming" when you were in high school?
    Hey now! just joking with you a little. And yes I'm slightly lazy tonight, enough so to not read through the whole thread. Sorry if that offended you. Carry on with your week long "how do you patch" discussion. I was just hoping you could of given me a quick overview of your progress but I guess that was too much to ask for.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast