Thread: Help identify

mtbr member

Help identify

So I found this old schwinn frame and fork and picked it up for a song and a dance. Looking around online and reading a bunch of old forums and not finding out much. I think I have narrowed it down to being a 1980 le tour The serial number is on the rear drop out and the number is SB097529. There is no head badge. Paint is all old and chipped. Is there any other way to tell what it is. I'm just curious if anybody else might know. Thanks
    Help identify-imageuploadedbytapatalk1363838461.326606.jpg
    Help identify-imageuploadedbytapatalk1363838478.818936.jpg

VRC Illuminati
    I can say for sure its not a vintage mountain bike.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com

Wanted: Syncros 27.2 x 425 seatpost

mtbr member
    A song AND a dance? You paid too much.

mtbr member

Help identify

The dance was short and thanks for the stating obvious that's it's not a mountain bike. I was having a hard time with that one. Just was hoping that someone knew something more then that.

mtbr member
    assuming you already checked one of the many vintage schwinn serial number references online, right? try the sister board over at roadbikereview
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    Have you tried on the internet?

Let me google that for you

To show I'm not all bad, this one looked interesting.

Schwinn Le Tour

There is also plenty of info on decoding serial numbers. I typed "schwinn serial numbers" into google and got lots of exciting stuff. S, means it's a Schwinn Le Tour, B means February and the first 0 means 1980. After that the numbers are something to do with the number of the bike itself.

Grumps

mtbr member

Help identify

Gee google you say. Never crossed my mind. But what is this google you talk about. I was just asking to see if I was reading the serial number right. I figured it was a 1980 le tour. I was on a interweb page last night and saw that the S could also mean it was made in Japan. So all I was doing was seeing if someone on here had some knowledge on the topic. And I was not aware there was a road bike sister forum. I will try this google thing you talk about next time.

mtbr member
    People are just giving you a mildly hard time because you brought an old road bike to a Vintage Mtn. bike forum. Next time you find a lugged or preferrably fillet brazed old Mtn. bike feel free to post it up here, or better yet just PM me a pic.
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2, or 3. Fillet brazed Ibis Custom. Cunningham Racer. Otis Guy (but not that softride model). That's all I need I don't need anything else... except... except for an old Mountain Goat bar stem combo. And that's all I need. I don't need anything else. Except.....

mtbr member

Help identify

Quote Originally Posted by Aemmer View Post
    People are just giving you a mildly hard time because you brought an old road bike to a Vintage Mtn. bike forum. Next time you find a lugged or preferrably fillet brazed old Mtn. bike feel free to post it up here, or better yet just PM me a pic.
    I know they are just giving me crap. I'm just going along with it and giving it back. Just didn't feel like setting up a new account on a new forum just to ask a simple question when i already have an account here and didn't think it was going to be such a difficult question for people just to give a straight forward answer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmann8686 View Post
    i already have an account here and didn't think it was going to be such a difficult question for people just to give a straight forward answer.
    Welcome to VRC
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2, or 3. Fillet brazed Ibis Custom. Cunningham Racer. Otis Guy (but not that softride model). That's all I need I don't need anything else... except... except for an old Mountain Goat bar stem combo. And that's all I need. I don't need anything else. Except.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aemmer View Post
    Welcome to VRC
    Who invited Mr. Nice guy? ^