View Poll Results: How do you feel about Gay marriage/relationships?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm involved in a Gay marriage/relationship, or plan to be

0 0%
  • Heterosexual and think Gay marriage should be legal

46 68.66%
  • Heterosexual and think Gay marriage should be outlawed

21 31.34%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Keep pedaling

Gay marriage/relationship

Anyone here involved in a Gay marriage/relationship? How is it?

Should it be legal?

I'm Heterosexual, but I think people should be allowed to marry whoever they want.

see me rollin, they hatin
    this might end up in the bin because of politics and whatnot, but this is the way i see it. Most evidence points to innate/biological developments as the cause behind our sexual orientations. (read up on studies done on adopted-out twins). Some still insist that its nurture.

either way, you cannot cure gay, regardless of what religious people tell you. Therefore, i dont think you can discriminate on that basis, as long as it doesnt hurt anybody. obviously, attraction to children is a big nono because it hurts the child involved.

I also think people confuse marriage as being strictly a religious ceremony. Thats not true. Plenty of non religious people get married, and if this is all about the bible, then atheists shouldnt be allowed to marry either.
    Religion doesnt have to get involved. Perhaps they DO have the right to refuse gay marriage in church (not that i agree, but i guess its their right to deny business). However this should not be the govts. choice.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I can't believe how much time and money the government is wasting on this topic. Aren't there more important things they should be focusing on like the NATIONAL DEBT. I say just let them get married and be done with it already.

AZ
    banned
    As long as both chicks are hot I'm for it.

see me rollin, they hatin
    Quote Originally Posted by RockHillMtBiker View Post
    I can't believe how much time and money the government is wasting on this topic. Aren't there more important things they should be focusing on like the NATIONAL DEBT. I say just let them get married and be done with it already.
    national debt? dont you realize teh gheys are the cause of ALL problems in the US? according to *some* it tears down the family. egads!!!!!

the debt is too hard to fix, so its much easier to trample a small segment of the population instead!

Ibtb

Clyde on a mission!
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Furball the Mystery Cat View Post
    I'm Heterosexual, but I think people should be allowed to marry whoever they want.
    At least if both parts are in agreement, otherwise I'd really want to marry Jennifer Aniston..

I see no reason why two adults that love each other shouldn't be allowed to live in love and harmony. As for the tired old procreation ******** argument, with 7 billion people on this planet I see no big issue with some couples not being able to reproduce.

I married a witch.
    I can't believe that the argument that would solve all of these problems hasn't been thought of by anyone else but me...

Many of the anti gay marriage people I've spoken with are most bothered by the idea of two men kissing/having sex. But, if you ask any straight married man, all sex stops after marriage. So, if you are of the mindset you don't want gays to have sex, you should encourage them to get married.
    Be respectful to the disrespectful, wise to the unwise, caring to the uncaring, courteous to the uncourteous.
    My Riding Blog

Warrior's Society
    Wow!!!!!!! A whole 5 posts before the thread turned into a political debate.

That being said......all for it.

Leave religion and politics out of it and look at it at face value.

Have Been married to my wife 11 years, we have chosen to have no kids. We didn't get married for religious reasons. We didn't get married Ina church. We didn't get married by a priest.

Does gay marriage affect my marriage....nope...not one ounce.

Does 2 men or 2 women getting married, affect your marriage???

Does it lessen the bond that you have between you and your spouse?

If the answer to the last 2 questions is "no"......then who cares what other people do.

Of the answer is "yes".....get a life and stop worrying so much about what other people are doing.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I'm married and feel gays should be allowed to get married. No reason they
    shouldn't be as miserable as the rest of us.

Best, John

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying-Monkey View Post
    But, if you ask any straight married man, all sex stops after marriage. So, if you are of the mindset you don't want gays to have sex, you should encourage them to get married.
    Ha ha ha, must say that what gay men do, even the thought of it just grooses me out, and gay women just seems like waste, well at least the hot ones do.
    Don't really care what get's people off, and you can't tell someone what to like/want. Can't see any reason that's not motivated by selfishness, ego, or just plain ignorance to care whether gay people can legally bond.
    Round and round we go

Keep pedaling
    Hi, thanks for the replies everyone.

Ooops, I hope this wasn't too political. I meant for this to be a moral/ethical subject.

From reading posts on this forum, it seems like the typical mtbr member is more tolerant than most other people. So far the poll seems to reflect that.

usually cranky
    if you love a person you should be able to mary them. doesnt matter is its a straight couple, gay couple or transgender couple. people are people.

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by theMeat View Post
    Ha ha ha, must say that what gay men do, even the thought of it just grooses me out, and gay women just seems like waste, well at least the hot ones do.
    Don't really care what get's people off, and you can't tell someone what to like/want. Can't see any reason that's not motivated by selfishness, ego, or just plain ignorance to care whether gay people can legally bond.
    Why does it gross you out? And why do you think about it? Homophobic? I think that the mere notion that the government can tell us who can and can't get married is absurd. What happened to that separation of church and state thing I've heard about?

High Desert MTBer
    I am not a big fan of marriage myself, altho I have been there.
    The reasons to get married as I see them are:

a - Because you are religious and marriage is the only way to be in a committed relationship in the eyes of God
    b - Because you have to for economic/social reasons
    c - Because you feel the institution important enough to use as a way to declare your love and commitment to the rest of the world/friends/family
    d - Because you are a gold-digging son of a *****/daughter of a dog

Have I missed any? Anyway, reason b is the only valid one in my book, and it is a shame that people have to resort to it, possibly against their truest will. The rest are so much BS in my book, but if anyone feels the need, gay, straight, whatever, go for it... I won't try and stop you, and I would even stand up for your right to do it if you want.
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    I'm against it because of my religious beliefs but I feel that government has no business regulating it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Ahhh who cares. Ive got my own problems, and am not concerned with the personal lives of other people and what they do, or who I might "offend". if you dont like it then dont concern yourself with it!

I married a witch.
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    I am not a big fan of marriage myself, altho I have been there.
    The reasons to get married as I see them are:

a - Because you are religious and marriage is the only way to be in a committed relationship in the eyes of God
    b - Because you have to for economic/social reasons
    c - Because you feel the institution important enough to use as a way to declare your love and commitment to the rest of the world/friends/family
    d - Because you are a gold-digging son of a *****/daughter of a dog

Have I missed any? Anyway, reason b is the only valid one in my book, and it is a shame that people have to resort to it, possibly against their truest will. The rest are so much BS in my book, but if anyone feels the need, gay, straight, whatever, go for it... I won't try and stop you, and I would even stand up for your right to do it if you want.
    Oddly enough you didn't post the one that I had always thought marriage was important for, and that's the stability it offers for a couple who are interested in raising children together. To me all other reasons were social. I might be mistake, but it seems the one of the main reasons that the government was involved in this originally, is to prevent siblings from getting married, and producing unhealthy offspring.

That being said...

I suppose mine is a variation on your option b.

My wife and I were together for five years before we got married. I had always been a "never getting married" kind of guy. Neither of us want children. We were actually NOT getting married, partly because we didn't like the pressures that society put on couples to make things official. It was our own little rebellion against the system. We had taken the other measures to make ourselves legally legal, such as living wills, power of attorney, etc.

Then came the day she got the news from the doctor, she had signs of cancer. Everything changed then. I realized, with all of our paper signing, there was not much I could do for her. I couldn't legally add her to my insurance, real medical decisions for her, in the event she was unable to make a decision herself, were a tricky subject, the differences between a married couple, and a long term committed couple began to show.

We decided to get married, for "the wrong reasons" according to some of my acquaintances. I had one woman, who had been pushing me to get married, actually upset, because I said we did it, in part so I could have her on my insurance.

I found this odd. I married my wife, not just out of some fleeting emotional response while everything was good in our lives, but because I had decided I wanted to take care of this woman, in sickness and in health. I wanted to be legally and financially responsible for her in case something happened, and she couldn't take care of herself. Other than children, what better reason is there to declare you want to be one legal entity in the eyes of the state, than this?

Before I didn't care if two men (or women) wanted to get married, as far as I was concerned, if a straight couple had the right to make each other miserable for the rest of their lives, then so should a gay couple...

But after this experience, and knowing a gay couple or two, I have a new understanding how upsetting not having the option to legally be able to take care of someone that you have decided you want to be in a life long relationship with can be. Fortunately for me and my wife, we were able to get a document signed, and witnessed that said the state would allow us to make legal or financial decisions for each other, that we were so interested in attending to our loved ones in times of illness that we want to cover them with our medical insurance in the event they need that assistance.

The way I see it, marriage, gay or otherwise, isn't about sex, folks are doing that, with or without that certificate. It's about an intent of personal responsibility towards another person, why should the government be involved in deciding who I can make that choice about, be it a woman, or a man?

As to myself and my wife. We were very fortunate. They caught it in time, and were able to treat her, and there's no sign of cancer at this point. And while I would never let her hear me say this, I am glad we got married. I love my wife, and don't regret that decision one bit.
    Be respectful to the disrespectful, wise to the unwise, caring to the uncaring, courteous to the uncourteous.
    My Riding Blog

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    Why does it gross you out? And why do you think about it? Homophobic? I think that the mere notion that the government can tell us who can and can't get married is absurd. What happened to that separation of church and state thing I've heard about?
    Not homophhobic, one my closest friends is gay, flaming in fact. Just don't wanna hear the intimate details of his date or the likes because that sorta stuff grosses me out. Because he's a friend he usually spares me, and because he has a brain that he uses, he can grasp that concept.
    Is that OK with you?
    No need to start getting personal or getting your panties in a bunch over there.
    Last edited by theMeat; 05-11-2012 at 07:06 PM.
    Round and round we go

I married a witch.
    Quote Originally Posted by theMeat View Post
    Not homophhobic, one my closest friends is gay, flaming in fact. Just don't wanna hear the intimate details of his date because it grosses me out, and because he's a friend he usually spares me.
    No need to start getting personal or getting your panties in a bunch over there.
    Don't feel bad, it grosses gay people out too...

A friend of mine posted this on his Facebook page. The author is a friend of his, and it's a very interesting read.

The Gay Pride Dilemma, or How I Became a Pariah in Four Simple Paragraphs
    by Elaine Day on Thursday, April 26, 2012 at 12:17pm ∑
    A friend I havenít spoken to in some time, a lawyer, once asked me why I donít get mad about marriage equality and why I donít feel any desire whatsoever to take part in protests and parades and seem generally unmoved by the entire gay pride movement. And Iíve thought about it a lot over the years, but the answer is so complicated and so against what people think I should believe that I know that speaking my mind would make me a total outcast in the gay community. But I realized something elseÖ I donít belong to the gay community. I belong to my community, to my family, and to myself.

My take on gay pride events is a bit convoluted, but here it is in a nutshell. A vast majority of gay people, myself included, are quick to say that we want nothing more than to be treated the same as everyone else, and itís true. But here is where I differ from a large percentage of the pack. I feel like in order to be treated equally, people need to see me and my family and realize that we really are the same. I watch parades of dudes in assless chaps making out with one another in front of kids and I have to admit that I donít want my kids watching that. But I wouldnít want them watching a dude in assless chaps making out with a chick, either. Stuff like that is frightening to parents, and as long as we spend every pride day making it clear that we are a bunch of half-dressed, sex crazed maniacs, how in the hell are people going to see us as just like them in every respect? The answer- they arenít. So put on some pants, take your spouse and kids by the hand, and march that **** down the middle of the street next pride day. And if you canít find some pants or stop trying to engage in sex acts for five minutesÖ. STAY HOME. Itíd do more for gay rights than any parade ever could.

And hey, while I am pissing off the gay community, why not take it a step further? Back in the day, being gay was considered a psychological disorder. We know now that for many people this isnít the case, but then you have certain subsets of the gay population. Women who have been sexually tortured by fathers and father figures who seek out extremely masculine women who are in every respect their fathers but who lack the equipment to carry out what their daddies did to them. Why is it such a bad thing to say that there is a psychological problem there? When you are making me accept them as a normal part of the gay community, I start to see flawed logic. If a straight person canít stop sleeping with older people who remind them of an abusive parent, there is no problem admitting that they have a psychological issue, so why does GLAAD lose their minds if we even hint that maybe, just maybe, some people confuse sexuality with the aftermath of sexual trauma.

So yes, I do support marriage equality. Iíd be crazy not to, given that my wife is, well, my wife. But to say I feel something called gay prideÖ I just donít. I donít feel gay shame, either. I feel like me. I feel like most of the rest of you when you wake up in the morning. Iíd be willing to bet that most of you donít wake up and think, ďGod, I sure am proud to be heterosexual this morningĒ. You just wake up, blessed to be you and to be alive, and god willing, to have a family that loves you and that you love in return. I want nothing more than for families like mine to be able to legally become one, but I have to say that unless people can tone down the ďprideĒ and take the time to show the world what a gay family really looks like, it may be a long time coming before the sheer mention of the word doesnít elicit images of the assless chap guys and send everyone to the polls to vote no in terror. Come on, gay people. You can do better than that.

-Elaine M Day, April 26, 2012
    My Riding Blog

clown question, bro
    ibtb

I feel it should be legal. I have yet to see an honest, legitimate, and non-religious based rationale supporting outlawing it. As far as I see it, if a couple is consenting and of legal age... go for it. It has absolutely no affect on me.

And as for the argument that allowing gay marriage would somehow cheapen or de-legitimize heterosexual marriage... when the divorce rate is around 50% amongst hetero couples, I highly doubt that gay couples can possibly be worse influence on hetero marriages than hetero peeps are themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilikebmx999 View Post
    Are we just ignoring balls? Lol

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I believe in gay marriage. I'm married and it's gay as fcuk.

mtbr member
    Most straight people are FLAMINGLY straight.

They flaunt it around everywhere they go.

Sit-coms jokes being all about straight sex and dating, most commercials selling their products by pushing straight sex scripts in your face, by the billboards everywhere talking up wedding rings and baby-making.

Not to mention the people themselves. Holding hands in the park, kissing in public, shopping together, men flaunting off their football jerseys and jeans, skirts and tank tops on the women:

Jeez get a room!

Bunch of freaking flamers if you ask me. Why don't they just keep it to themselves? I mean I'm all for heterosexuals, but come on,

I just don't want to see it.

High Desert MTBer
    Don't feel bad, it grosses gay people out too...

A friend of mine posted this on his Facebook page. The author is a friend of his, and it's a very interesting read.

The Gay Pride Dilemma, or How I Became a Pariah in Four Simple Paragraphs
    by Elaine Day on Thursday, April 26, 2012 at 12:17pm ∑

-Elaine M Day, April 26, 2012
    Yup! So right!
    It's all Here. Now.

High Desert MTBer
    Oddly enough you didn't post the one that I had always thought marriage was important for, and that's the stability it offers for a couple who are interested in raising children together. To me all other reasons were social. .
    While I do not disagree with what you say, I am not sure how valid this reason is any more. Certainly when I was young there was a certain stigma attached to being 'born out of wedlock', but I do not think that to be so important now.
    Social pressure to conform to a marriage 'norm' is less intrusive now, altho I am sure it is still there to a degree. I do feel that a strong and committed relationship, where each partner is mindful of their own needs within it, is more valuable than anything.
    I am very glad to read that your wife is in remission and you are enjoying your commitment.
    It's all Here. Now.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast