Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    So, no opinions allowed?.
    this is modern day america where morons are cultivated by both partys. Cool though that dim son does this

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB PBO View Post
    Ha!!

+1

Politics aside, I'm sure those vets were honored to have had the opportunity to take that ride. I know I would have been. I'm sure nobody forced them to ride with the former President just as nobody forced them to serve in the first place. Remember, it's an all-volunteer force.

Exactly. The fact that a veteran can lose a limb in a war yet still have pride in his service, respect for his Commander in Chief, and the will to live and carry on in life without whining and crying about it never enters into most people's heads as they are conditioned by years of anti-military propaganda that only recognizes and honors homeless veterans and other losers while studiously ignoring any veteran who doesn't fit the Crazed Viet Nam veteran stereotype.

It's an all volunteer military and you know or should know the score before you enlist.

Give President Bush a break. Although I despise "causes" and the general trend in our society to make everything about some cause or another, he does actually do a lot of work with veterans without making a big deal about it for self-aggrandizement. Most of the veterans I know have a great deal of respect for President Bush which is why he can get a bunch of wounded veterans to ride with him.

Am I the only veteran who volunteered, served without complaint (well, you know), and moved on to other things after discharge? I'd like to see a thread started for non-disgrunteld veterans who don't blame the military for everything from their Methadone addiction to their bad backs.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Typical of political topics, this one headed into the raspberries fast. I didn't think Bush was a bad guy, but he was the RNC's pick for pres, not mine.

We survived.

Obama? Why worry? He'll be gone someday, too. The real issue is why we let it be about Them vs Us, policy and motive be damned.

If I had nebulous motives and wanted to make sure nobody was watching me work out a conspiracy, I might be happy that the public was worried about Dems vs Repubbies.

Personally, my conspiracy is conserving wild places for us to use, gently, without regard to political affiliation.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB PBO View Post
    Politics aside
    lol, fail!

mtbr member

Former president Bush has 41 miles of MTB trails

Can somebody show me a vet of the recent wars that was forced to serve?
    That's what I thought.

They are all volunteers. They know what they are signing up for. They know the risks. You can't go blaming Bush for their decisions.
    It's actually a reason to respect them even more for their service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Lance has a ranch with singletrack, too.
    He is still a douchebag.
    Those two should get together and start the Texan-has-been-loser-fvchup club.

Karl rove gets an honorary membership!

See, here's the problem.
    Most of those vets would still HAVE their damn limbs if George hadn't of accidentally wandered into a false war in the wrong country.
    Then those vets would jest be mountain bikers, like us.
    Not damaged ones.
    Over and out, no more from me.
    But I think it needs to be pointed out.
    A few miles of singletrack doesn't make up for thousands of US servicemen and women....dead.
    I don't mean to enter a flame war, but the supposed WMD were only part of the reason we entered in that war. Saddam was on the watch list dating back almost two decades prior to us invading Iraq. HW finally did something about it, boo hoo.

In reality the president has very little to do with anything in the grand scheme of their time in office, that is why you need to be empathetic toward them all.
    "The sound of a car door opening in front of you is similar to the sound of a gun being cocked."

Rogue Exterminator
    I love how this is turning in to a political Bush Vs Obama thread.

Any of you who think either one of them gives a rats a$$ about this country, the people, or the military is sorely mistaken. They can both disappear from the face of this earth I would give as much of a care as they both do about us.....none.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Lance has a ranch with singletrack, too.
    He is still a douchebag.
    Those two should get together and start the Texan-has-been-loser-fvchup club.

Karl rove gets an honorary membership!

See, here's the problem.
    Most of those vets would still HAVE their damn limbs if George hadn't of accidentally wandered into a false war in the wrong country.
    Then those vets would jest be mountain bikers, like us.
    Not damaged ones.
    Over and out, no more from me.
    But I think it needs to be pointed out.
    A few miles of singletrack doesn't make up for thousands of US servicemen and women....dead.
    You guys crack me up...Colin Powell made the case for the Iraq war and now fully supports Oblamer...lol...what IF Bush had done nothing but sit on his ar$e and point fingers like Bill Clinton and Oblamer...lol...then everyone would hate him for not doing nothing after 911 setup by Bill "Gayblade" Clinton...anyone ever research what Saddam Hussien did to the folks in Iraq?...Can you imagine spomeone here in the U.S. finding 900 to 2000 bodies buried in a mass grave?...what would you actually think?...Saddam Hussein was a POS and need to be taken out...and PLEASE don't Google what the Iraq Army did to the folks in Kuwait...raping and pillaging and killing children and women in front of their husbands for a laugh...
    AFP: Mass grave with 222 bodies found in Iraq
    Mass graves found across Iraq | Mail Online
    AFP: Mass grave with 900 corpses found in Iraq
    Hundreds of Kurds found buried in Iraq mass graves | World news | The Guardian

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ajd245246 View Post
    Okay, that's pretty funny!

mtbr member
    Afghanistan had and has absolutely no strategic value. You want to blame Bush? Fine. But Obama had an opportunity to extricate us from there (especially as he held the House AND Senate as well) and elected not to. You can argue whether or not that was a good idea, but the FACT is that more of our soldiers have died there under Obama, in a shorter period, than under Bush. On Iraq, I'm not going to argue that it was a good idea, but it is strategically located, had a history, and though no WMDs were found, we did find and remove 1.2 MILLION pounds of Yellowcake Uranium which could have been processed into weapons grade fissile material.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Makes me wonder what GWB's MTBR screen name is...
    whatever...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    hmmmm... I want to ride there just to say I have. Anyone know where the ranch is? I'm curious if he's on strava (and you could see if he really is fast).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by patrick2cents View Post
    hmmmm... I want to ride there just to say I have. Anyone know where the ranch is? I'm curious if he's on strava (and you could see if he really is fast).
    The Code Pink ladies would know.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    You guys miss the point, as mountain bikers.
    Bottom line, Bush's administration was asleep at the wheel during the run up to the 2cnd greatest economic collapse in US history. One we are STILL digging out from under (as would ANY post Bush president).
    The result, for us, as Mt. bikers?
    Billions lost and squandered, which basically dried up almost all public and private trail development funds, and nearly bankrupted the entire advocacy movement.
    THAT is where his true legacy of raw incompetence lies, and will continue to be viewed for throughout written US history.
    His abject failures in trusting Wolfowitz, Rumsfeld, and Cheney's 'follow the Plow' manifest destiny dreams notwithstanding...Iraq ( and the hundreds of thousands dead to date) are just a 'bonus' failure. ( Heckuva Job, Shrub!)
    If you honestly believe that Obama had any political capability to have 'ended' the conflict, you clearly don't understand realpolitik, and the realities of a mere 52% victory mandate.
    The 'Oblama' thing simply doesn't stick, seeing as he has managed to pull us out of what looked to be close to the death of the US economic system.
    I don't love everything Obama has done, if fact, really don't like a lot.
    But to ignore the massive failures that were conducted by both sides in the run-up to the end of Bush's administration is sheer obtuse myopia.
    The US deserved, and deserves better.
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

Bicycle Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    Can somebody show me a vet of the recent wars that was forced to serve?
    That's what I thought.

They are all volunteers. They know what they are signing up for. They know the risks. You can't go blaming Bush for their decisions.
    It's actually a reason to respect them even more for their service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thank you. As a veteran of OIF II (March 04-05) I appreciate this comment. When I enlisted (Infantry) I knew very well what I was signing up for. I knew that I could potentially go to war, because I signed up after 9-11, and I knew the consequences of war. Regardless, I enlisted at my own free will. Now that I'm out I'm enjoying the benefits of being a veteran, and I appreciate them, but that was not the reason I signed up. That being said, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, after all, that is what we fight for. Just don't go harping about something you only think you know about. For the record, I neither have any negative nor positive feelings towards former President Bush. I would like to do this race next year though.
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I served 22 years as a United States Marine. I was proud to serve under President Bush. And I would ride with him any day.

Heavylegs
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by LTZ470 View Post
    You guys crack me up...Colin Powell made the case for the Iraq war and now fully supports Oblamer...lol...what IF Bush had done nothing but sit on his ar$e and point fingers like Bill Clinton and Oblamer...lol...then everyone would hate him for not doing nothing after 911 setup by Bill "Gayblade" Clinton...anyone ever research what Saddam Hussien did to the folks in Iraq?...Can you imagine spomeone here in the U.S. finding 900 to 2000 bodies buried in a mass grave?...what would you actually think?...Saddam Hussein was a POS and need to be taken out...and PLEASE don't Google what the Iraq Army did to the folks in Kuwait...raping and pillaging and killing children and women in front of their husbands for a laugh...
    AFP: Mass grave with 222 bodies found in Iraq
    Mass graves found across Iraq | Mail Online
    AFP: Mass grave with 900 corpses found in Iraq
    Hundreds of Kurds found buried in Iraq mass graves | World news | The Guardian
    Wow you must be under the age of 25 or you do not pay attention to history. Before making comments on the Bush family's good deeds you need to study what they have done in the past. The old man played a key role in placing Saddam in power while serving under Regan?. To all of those saying it is a choice to serve, your damn right it is, but when Jr. wrecked the economy some of our best young kids had very few options!
    Brewtality, if you are a fire chief at your local voluntary department and sent your men into a burning crumbling building that your dad had started on a slight possibility that somebody MIGHT be in there, and knowing a couple of those men are going to F***ING DIE does that make sense? No you would have failed as a leader!
    It is true they volunteered to serve knowing they might have their lives end, but that does not give a person in charge a right to be careless with their lives. Maybe Jr. should go VOLUNTEER his time and go change bandages on an 18yr old vet that had his legs blown off or maybe go work the second job at a fast food joint for $8.35hr like widow of a fallen soilder does to put food on the table for their children. That would impress me a bit, not him showing off his wealth in front of a few cameras to save face!

God bless every veteran that has served this great country so we can enjoy all our freedoms.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Well, in the real world, ignorance is Bliss...

In the military, it's a requirement for a pension!

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Well, in the real world, ignorance is Bliss...

In the military, it's a requirement for a pension!
    Are you serious? I served under President Carter, President Clinton, and President Bush.
    Was I ignorant under all of them or just the ones you differ with? I served my country proudly, so little sh#ts like you could spout off, on anything and anybody. Grow up. You don't have all the answers. And I'm sure you fully support Obama in Afghanistan and all the drone strikes right?

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    It's a shame you can't recognize a simple Bon Mot when one is right in front of you!

What's hilarious about the rights opposition to the drone strikes is that they are exactly what the right wanted.
    Classic.
    Don't assume anything about me, what I like, don't like or endorse....you would be wrong.
    I was busy making a living and paying taxes to pay for you to play soldier, sonny. Too bad you weren't paying attention.

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Politics aside, Bush doesn't have to spend his time with the vets, but he does and that says a lot to this vet.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Well, to be fair, they are about the only people that will hang out with him.
    Hell, he wasn't even invited to the REPUBLICAN NATIONAL CONVENTION, fer chrissakes.
    And that is the truth....he really was told to stay away.
    Says it all.
    Politically bankrupt not more than a few months out of office....

And then we eat them."

AZ
    banned
    Politically bankrupt

Hell, they all are. The new guy isn't even out of office and he is. Dump em all.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Mostly agree with you...but a few retain their Mojo.
    Reagan was a senile nincompoop that STILL had political power!
    The Roosevelt's were Rock Stars forever...
    And Clinton will, and forever will be, Pimp In Chief.
    Truly our first black president.

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    May 2013
    You guys miss the point, as mountain bikers.
    Bottom line, Bush's administration was asleep at the wheel during the run up to the 2cnd greatest economic collapse in US history. One we are STILL digging out from under (as would ANY post Bush president).
    The result, for us, as Mt. bikers?
    Billions lost and squandered, which basically dried up almost all public and private trail development funds, and nearly bankrupted the entire advocacy movement.
    THAT is where his true legacy of raw incompetence lies, and will continue to be viewed for throughout written US history.
    His abject failures in trusting Wolfowitz, Rumsfeld, and Cheney's 'follow the Plow' manifest destiny dreams notwithstanding...Iraq ( and the hundreds of thousands dead to date) are just a 'bonus' failure. ( Heckuva Job, Shrub!)
    If you honestly believe that Obama had any political capability to have 'ended' the conflict, you clearly don't understand realpolitik, and the realities of a mere 52% victory mandate.
    The 'Oblama' thing simply doesn't stick, seeing as he has managed to pull us out of what looked to be close to the death of the US economic system.
    I don't love everything Obama has done, if fact, really don't like a lot.
    But to ignore the massive failures that were conducted by both sides in the run-up to the end of Bush's administration is sheer obtuse myopia.
    The US deserved, and deserves better.
    You forgot Colin Powell's intelligence video presentation showing WMD's being moved around in Iraq while Colin Powell identified and showed America they were there...And "who" was in control of Congress during the economic downfall?…And who was in control of Congress during Bill Clinton's economic success?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2