Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Ebay Titanium/ predatorbike.com FXB29 29er

Any word on these? They're selling frames on Ebay for under 700 shipped. Anyone ride one of these?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    here is the link

http://cgi.ebay.com/titanium-bike-fr...item336281adc8

for those interested

AZ
    banned
    Why do they grind and polish the welds ?

mtbr member
    makes crappy welds look better.

Cannondale

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Guess no one has bought one of these yet?

mtbr member
    They don't look to bad

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Went out on their site and the 29er page is up. Vbrake studs...thats got to be one of the few if only new ti 29er production frames I have seen recently that still gives you that option. Also looks like it has a seat stay braze-on for a rack? Weight is pretty good too at 3 lbs and change.

get down!
    the angles look weird
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by appleSSeed
    the angles look weird
    Which angles look weird?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by N10S
    Went out on their site and the 29er page is up. Vbrake studs...thats got to be one of the few if only new ti 29er production frames I have seen recently that still gives you that option. Also looks like it has a seat stay braze-on for a rack? Weight is pretty good too at 3 lbs and change.
    I emailed them and said that you can opt to delete the canti bosses if I/you wanted for no extra charge.

mtbr member
    Interesting.... verrrrry interesting. I might also look into getting a disc CX frame...
    Randy

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Not big enough. I need a 63-64cm top tube.

MTB B'dos

Hope

Exactly! Those are THE BIGGEST and crappiest looking Ti welds I have seen, they look like alu welds, about the same size too, not the sweet, small welds you're accustomed to seeing on quality Ti frames I know for sure I won't be the guinea pig testing if those welds hold up, wonder who will be the first
    Quote Originally Posted by Slurry
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    Why do they grind and polish the welds ?
    makes crappy welds look better.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    I an not an expert but usually Ti frames need to be purged to protect the inside from contamination while the welding take place.
    The pic does not show any of that,
    I hope I'm wrong.

mtbr member
    The purging is part of the welding process, an inert gas is supplied to the weld the same time the weld is done. The photo is correct.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Doesn't look right to me. It doesn't look like there is any back purging the insides of the tubes. Only thing that looks to be hooked up to any gas is the tig torch.

Tulsa
    I don't know about Ti, but for stainless I purge inside as well as the gas supply at the electrode
    wherever you go, there you are

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by AKamp
    Doesn't look right to me. It doesn't look like there is any back purging the insides of the tubes. Only thing that looks to be hooked up to any gas is the tig torch.
    Are you a welder? The opinions of the ignorant are meaningless.

banned
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by GTR-33

I am , the statement that back purging is necessary is 100% correct .

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Double pass welds (what cannondale does) are stronger and more time consuming. But they give you more weld filler and better penetration of the base metal. They also give you something to file down so you get a smooth weld to paint over. I've seen it done with steel frames also.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Why not just get a motobecane with a reba for $1000 ? At least they have some reputation to go by and the cost is similar if you sell the fork. And the dropouts are 100x nicer, among other things.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

So are you trying to say your comment was meaningless

No, I am not a welder by trade but have taken a couple of TIG classes and lay down pretty decent bead.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    It's just annoying to read so many opinions of the untrained man, which seems to happen here more than anywhere else. So much speculation and very little fact on these forums.

What is the basis for your complaint? I can weld too and I don't see any evidence that they are missing something from the equipment or that the welds are poor quality other than being larger than what some may say is nessasary.

Then again... A US made boutique frame is more than five times more expensive. Why would some Taiwanese or Chinese waste time making pretty welds instead of ones that just work?

human dehumidifier
    Read some of this and you'll see that all sides of a Ti weld must be shielded, which means the inside of the tube has to be purged of oxygen.

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...tanium-welding
    When you get older, much of your hate comes from knowledge and experience, which is why really old people hate everyone

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    It's just annoying to read so many opinions of the untrained man, which seems to happen here more than anywhere else. So much speculation and very little fact on these forums.

What is the basis for your complaint? I can weld too and I don't see any evidence that they are missing something from the equipment or that the welds are poor quality other than being larger than what some may say is nessasary.

Then again... A US made boutique frame is more than five times more expensive. Why would some Taiwanese or Chinese waste time making pretty welds instead of ones that just work?

Because the oxygen contamination on the backside of the weld will lead to contaminants in the weld. It doesn't just make for a prettier weld, it makes for a stronger weld and it is very important for titanium, less important for stainless and little importance if you are building bumpers for your truck. If I was relying on my headtube to stay on my bike I would like to make sure that there are no impurities in the welds holding it to the down and the headtubes. I could care less if they are single pass or double pass as long as they are structurally sound. If you don't believe me shoot an email to Moots, Potts, IndiFab or any other reputable builder. If you really want to know call up any builder that does much repair work for other builders. Steve Potts has some pics on his blog of crappy welds that held together about as well as JB weld.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast