Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Does Crosstraining Make You Gay?

I get a lot of flak from hipsters and rednecks for just being on a road bike. Today, some guy in a pickup gave me a limp wrist gesture when I was climbing an HC in the saddle. I guess no matter how accomplished I get in this sport, people like that will think Iím girly.

A month ago I was riding past Donner and some hipsters on bmx and cruisers were commenting amongst themselves, and as I passed I overheard ďoh - that sorta biking is gayer than gayĒ. It was a good troll, because thatís exactly how I feel about hipsters on bikes.

Yeah, sure I wear lycra when I ride road. Itís comfortable in the wind, and offers more muscle compression. And if I didnít, roadies would give me flak for wearing baggies, and Iíd still get flak from hipsters and rednecks anyway. I donít really see any options to make myself appear less ďgayĒ other than not crosstraining at all.

- doesn't really give a **** about what these people think.
    - just wanted to see what other mountain bikers thought about it.

ballbuster

I dunno....

Quote Originally Posted by lassiar View Post
    I get a lot of flak from hipsters and rednecks for just being on a road bike. Today, some guy in a pickup gave me a limp wrist gesture when I was climbing an HC in the saddle. I guess no matter how accomplished I get in this sport, people like that will think Iím girly.

A month ago I was riding past Donner and some hipsters on bmx and cruisers were commenting amongst themselves, and as I passed I overheard ďoh - that sorta biking is gayer than gayĒ. It was a good troll, because thatís exactly how I feel about hipsters on bikes.

Yeah, sure I wear lycra when I ride road. Itís comfortable in the wind, and offers more muscle compression. And if I didnít, roadies would give me flak for wearing baggies, and Iíd still get flak from hipsters and rednecks anyway. I donít really see any options to make myself appear less ďgayĒ other than not crosstraining at all.

... is being gay a bad thing?

Huckin' trails
    I get a lot of flak from hipsters and rednecks for just being on a road bike. Today, some guy in a pickup gave me a limp wrist gesture when I was climbing an HC in the saddle. I guess no matter how accomplished I get in this sport, people like that will think I’m girly.

A month ago I was riding past Donner and some hipsters on bmx and cruisers were commenting amongst themselves, and as I passed I overheard “oh - that sorta biking is gayer than gay”. It was a good troll, because that’s exactly how I feel about hipsters on bikes.

Yeah, sure I wear lycra when I ride road. It’s comfortable in the wind, and offers more muscle compression. And if I didn’t, roadies would give me flak for wearing baggies, and I’d still get flak from hipsters and rednecks anyway. I don’t really see any options to make myself appear less “gay” other than not crosstraining at all.

Those guys usually are jealous of you having better look and nice cardio and just can't admit it... I know, because when I see someone like you climbing or simply on the bike path, I'm thinking : "lol, is he at the Tour de France or what ?".
    But I know I'm just saying that to myself because I will never be able to keep up with that guy and he's totally more trained and into it then I am and I find myself kinda lame to simply react this way and then try to catch him up, but 150mm of travel don't help me.

You rock. And I admit I'm jealous.

David
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

Huckin' trails
    And btw, you remember the dude that wins the Tour de France this summer ?

He was like 3 times MTB world champion.

And I'm jealous.

David
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

Uncle
    The guy in the pickup was making a pass at you. It's the rural version of "cruising."
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by Entrenador View Post
    The guy in the pickup was making a pass at you. It's the rural version of "cruising."
    Rednecks are everywhere. Not only on YouTube.

pro leisure tour
    I just checked. Nope, I still don't care what anyone else thinks when I ride.
    If you see someone without a smile, give them yours

mtbr member
    No. Sucking d!ck makes you gay. Cross training only makes you a stronger cyclist.
    A yes, in this alleged 'age of enlightenment', some of us still think being gay is wrong.

Don't worry about what others think or say about you.
    The people that mind what you do, don't matter.
    The people that matter don't mind what you do
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

Be Kind
    Apr 2009
    Yes, you're a ***.

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkyJay View Post
    I just checked. Nope, I still don't care what anyone else thinks when I ride.
    You know, you're not suppose to ride naked... You jackwagon.

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    No. Sucking d!ck makes you gay. Cross training only makes you a stronger cyclist.
    A yes, in this alleged 'age of enlightenment', some of us still think being gay is wrong.

Don't worry about what others think or say about you.
    The people that mind what you do, don't matter.
    The people that matter don't mind what you do
    Well said Brew!! Better get the popcorn after this post.

So does this mean you will quit giving me a hard time about my road bike?

mtbr member
    Being gay makes you gay.

Wearing Spandex and cross training makes you a smart and likely more fit rider.

I think focusing on comfort and form are important in sport. I'm not quite sure why this is an issue at all. Looking at professional sports down the line, football basketball, swimming, track and field, wrestling, they all wear spandex.

I don't understand the anti spandex thought process for a lot of mountainbikers.
    "Chancho. When you are a man sometimes you wear stretchy pants... Its for fun..."

mtbr member
    YES! Cross training makes me HAPPY!

There will always be immature rednecks, hipsters, kids, etc in this world...have confidence in your lifestyle and RIDE ON!!!
    "It's not about the bike"

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    Riding a bike is crosstraining for another form of riding a bike? I thought it was all just "riding bikes" or "cycling". Whatever.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    Riding a bike is crosstraining for another form of riding a bike? I thought it was all just "riding bikes" or "cycling". Whatever.
    I agree. When I read the subject, I thought this thread would be about running, swimming, weight lifting, etc.

mtbr member

Yeah, sure I wear lycra when I ride road. Itís comfortable in the wind, and offers more muscle compression. And if I didnít, roadies would give me flak for wearing baggies, and Iíd still get flak from hipsters and rednecks anyway.
    You homos always have great excuses for why you wear those tight colorful clothes!

What's a hipster?

pro leisure tour
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    You know, you're not suppose to ride naked... You jackwagon.
    But what about in really hot weather?
    If you see someone without a smile, give them yours

U sayin' Bolt ?

mtbr member
    LOL! Brewtality is alway "Brutally" honest. There's no sugar coating there. I love it! I guess if cross training makes me gay then I must be mega gay cause I ride everything.....with two wheel!

Crazed Country Rebel

The best mountain bikers in the world train on road bikes.
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Specialized sucks dong

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by Whason View Post
    Being gay makes you gay.

Wearing Spandex and cross training makes you a smart and likely more fit rider.

I think focusing on comfort and form are important in sport. I'm not quite sure why this is an issue at all. Looking at professional sports down the line, football basketball, swimming, track and field, wrestling, they all wear spandex.

I don't understand the anti spandex thought process for a lot of mountainbikers.
    Spandex doesn't hang up on the saddle on steep decents like baggy shorts do.

It's only one layer, not two - so it's cooler on hot days.

It's less likely to bunch up and rub your chode raw.
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Specialized sucks dong

feeling squirrelly
    I'm not sure if riding a road bike is making you gay or not, that's between you and your willie.

My bigger concern is all this time you are wasting worrying about it. Seems to me that time could be better spent uploading your power tap data, charting your next interval session, making sure your socks are the right height and perfectly alligning your spando so that your tan lines are just right on every ride. Pull it together.

mtbr member
    Lamest thread of the year on just about every level.

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkyJay View Post
    But what about in really hot weather?
    I don't know what hot weather is. I live in Canada. And if I ride naked, I get my balls frozen. And it don't feel good.

sadly, like the element
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Spandex doesn't hang up on the saddle on steep decents like baggy shorts do.

It's only one layer, not two - so it's cooler on hot days.

It's less likely to bunch up and rub your chode raw.
    Yeah, I find it hard to justify wearing baggies on my mountain bike now after having been caught on the seat while trying to shift weight. I'm one of those lycra clad 'roadies' on a mountain bike now.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast