Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Do you pack heat while on the trail?

My friend was chased by a bear a few weeks ago on the trail.....he out ran the beast on his bike but I'm thinking a 9mm would have been suffice. And what about a cougar?

mtbr member
    Oh Boy. here we go again
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Sometimes.
    Nobody cares...........

mtbr member
    this never ends well...

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I always carry a benchmade skirmish wherever I go, riding or not. It comes in handy, and could be used as self defense if I needed to. But carrying a gun? I dunno. Dont get me wrong I love guns and am a big gun activist. I just dont really see the point unless you are maybe going on a multiday ride out in the sticks. even then i'd prob just buy a small can of bear mace...

mtbr member
    Sterno has saved me from a cold miserable death more than once.
    Happy Trails
    Jolly

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I live in a small remote high desert town in Arizona. I carry pepper spray, mainly because I don't own any guns anymore. I don't ride alone, always with at least one other person, it's allot safer that way, IMO. Having any kind of close contact with a mountain lion, scares the _____ out of me, or a Mexican Grey Wolf, or a pack of coyotes or wild dogs. I can see the need for a gun in certain situations, I've lived in the high desert since the 70's, and thankfully never had the need for one. Now that we can carry concealed without a permit, I might get a gun down the road, maybe not.

~Disc~Golf~
    I love this place!!!
    Honestly... ahh I give up

~Disc~Golf~
    and to the OP, ... yes I do...
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    there was a thread last year about this that quickly just spun out of control.

but with that being said, i carry everywhere i legally can, period! i have been in a few situations where i really wish i had a gun before i started to carry, and a whole lot where i was very glad i had one on me. my kel-tec is just barley bigger than a cell phone, so there is no excuse not to carry it. but would i carry any of my bigger pistols while riding? hell no, but with a little pocket pistol its not a chore.

wildlife where i live isn't a concern, but crazy cracked out bums are. the whole reason i got a conceal carry permit is to carry everywhere. but i have lived in a big city my whole life, where crime is something you really have to think about. if you are going to carry, do it legally!!!! i have no pity on people knowingly violating gun laws.
    Jamis parker 1
    K2 ZED 4.4
    trek TR40

TR
    Angry bunny
    Quote Originally Posted by boostedpgt
    so there is no excuse not to carry it.
    Really???????
    I honestly think that this thinking is more the problem than the solution.

~Disc~Golf~
    a gun the size of a cell phone?

I hope you mean

Otherwise,
    PEW-PEW-PEW!

~Disc~Golf~
    wildlife where i live isn't a concern, but crazy cracked out bums are. the whole reason i got a conceal carry permit is to carry everywhere. but i have lived in a big city my whole life, where crime is something you really have to think about. if you are going to carry, do it legally!!!! i have no pity on people knowingly violating gun laws.
    I should just punch you in the face and then you'd be able to see how effective that is.

stoopid crazy cracked out bum!!

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by digitalayon
    My friend was chased by a bear a few weeks ago on the trail.....he out ran the beast on his bike but I'm thinking a 9mm would have been suffice. And what about a cougar?
    Being a long time shooter I can tell you a 9mm would be very ineffective against a bear. It barely, pun intended, does the job against a human.

http://www.nodakoutdoors.com/forums/...p?f=72&t=33818

http://www.foggymountain.com/handgun-bear-hunting.shtml

Pictured below are some very effective handguns for use against a bear. The downside is they weigh a ton.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    I always laugh at the "barely against a human" nonsense. That is such an american view too. In europe and asia, 9mm has long been considered a good people stopping caliber. It didn't get adopted as the main military sidearm caliber by a host of nations by accident.

As to packing "heat", I have lots of ways to start a fire in my pack. Or attract the attention of passing aircraft, or of loudly deterring wildlife.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

RIS
    banned
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    I always laugh at the "barely against a human" nonsense. That is such an american view too. In europe and asia, 9mm has long been considered a good people stopping caliber.
    Americans are tougher.

RIS
    banned
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by CS2
    Being a long time shooter I can tell you a 9mm would be very ineffective against a bear. It barely, pun intended, does the job against a human.

http://www.nodakoutdoors.com/forums/...p?f=72&t=33818

http://www.foggymountain.com/handgun-bear-hunting.shtml

Pictured below are some very effective handguns for use against a bear. The downside is they weigh a ton.

Yup.

RIS
    banned
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by TR
    Really???????
    I honestly think that this thinking is more the problem than the solution.
    Why all the hoplophobic hate?

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by RIS
    Americans are tougher.
    I hadn't realised that fat could effectively absorb kinetic energy.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    If fat doesn't, then inate stupidity apparently does.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    ............i carry everywhere i legally can, period! ........

this

TR
    Angry bunny
    Why all the hoplophobic hate?
    hoplophobia

Irrational, morbid fear of guns
    Not really sure your sentence actually makes sense.
    Please keep in mind I am not American and so have no belief in your right to bear arms nonsense either.

Terrain Sculptor
    My friend was chased by a bear a few weeks ago on the trail.....he out ran the beast on his bike.... And what about a cougar?
    Your friend is freakishly fast!

Bears can run 40mph!

You won't know the cougar is stalking you until it bites the back of your neck. You'd need to have the gun in your hand at all times.

Stucco Bucket
    Yea every few months the heat thread comes up.
    Bears are the least of my worries on the trail. It would take an amazing shot of a high caliber handgun to put a bear down. And the noise isnt going to make them run away.
    Besides what do I have to be paranoid about? People are generally good and trustworthy and wouldnt harm others. Right?
    Springfield .45 for extended or overnight rides.
    Ruger LCP or Keltec for everything else.

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    If fat doesn't, then inate stupidity apparently does.
    I have mah sword of righteousness and mah shield of stoopidity!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the_owl
    People are generally good and trustworthy and wouldnt harm others. Right?
    Yes, pretty much everywhere else in the developed world. America is a uniquely violent or a uniquely frightened society. Take your pick.

mtbr member
    I own a few handguns, but never carry them. I keep them at home for protection against intruders. I also have a license, but have never really needed it. So, I dont really have a dog in the gun fight, cause I agree with both sides. My pesonal reason for not carrying is that, I just feel like when people are going to attack you, they have the element of surprise and therefore a gun on my side or in my camelbak isnt going to change much. Where I live there is no wildlife that attacks like out west, so there isnt really a reason for me to carry. It is kind of like the spandex vs baggy threads, purely personal preference and logic to both sides.

Stucco Bucket
    Quote Originally Posted by nuffink
    Yes, pretty much everywhere else in the developed world. America is a uniquely violent or a uniquely frightened society. Take your pick.
    Really? Wheres that? Japan?
    Seems like everywhere has some sort of looney branch of crazies either religous or ethnic that want to harm people.
    Ok well maybe canada.

mtbr member
    Really? Wheres that? Japan?
    Seems like everywhere has some sort of looney branch of crazies either religous or ethnic that want to harm people.
    Ok well maybe canada.
    Ask the question anywhere else in the developed world and the best you'll get is blank incomprehension. In America your fear is either justified, making you a uniquely violent society, or not, making you a uniquely frightened society.

You're there, you carry a gun doing something the rest of the world considers a leisure activity. I bow to your local knowledge, it's a uniquely violent society.

Stucco Bucket
    Ask the question anywhere else in the developed world and the best you'll get is blank incomprehension. In America your fear is either justified, making you a uniquely violent society, or not, making you a uniquely frightened society.

You're there, you carry a gun doing something the rest of the world considers a leisure activity. I bow to your local knowledge, it's a uniquely violent society.
    Guns yes, but we dont strap bombs to our chest and get on the 'tube. Nor do we park our cars in front of opposing churches full of dynamite. I also cant remember the last time a group executed another group because of race. But I see what you mean by uniquely violent and frightened.

banned
    Sep 2010
    I use this for bears , I would never think about packing it around on a bike though .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Do you pack heat while on the trail?-p1010050b.jpg  

mtbr member
    Guns yes, but we dont strap bombs to our chest and get on the 'tube. Nor do we park our cars in front of opposing churches full of dynamite. I also cant remember the last time a group executed another group because of race. But I see what you mean by uniquely violent and frightened.
    Ok, so you're not a uniquely violent society (as I first suspected) so you, together with all the rest who carry guns, are just more frightened than the norm.

IdontShootPeopleAnyMore
    being someone who has shot several times while riding, I can assure you anything over about a 9mm will either throw you off balance or you won't be able to aim for crap... unless you are shooting straight forward which probably does not happen much at all as when you are being chased things tend to be behind you...

Also crashing with a pistol in your hands if kind of scary, even if its just in a flat grassy field...

My advise. Cary what ever you want, bigger the better for stopping bears/americans from what I have heard (I have never actually shot a bear or a human) but seriously, Get off your bike first...
    What mountain bike forum do pirates use? .....

MTB-arrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Stucco Bucket
    Ok, so you're not a uniquely violent society (as I first suspected) so you, together with all the rest who carry guns, are just more frightened than the norm.
    Like I said, what do I have to be paranoid about? Its not like people go into gyms, workplaces and restaurants and start shooting people. Ask any Police Officer if they carry off duty. It is what it is.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I have had three separate encounters with black bear (within 10 feet) while riding. The encounters were very sudden and the bear quickly moved away, the entire encounters lasting 10 to 15 seconds tops. I saw a mountain lion once about 100 feet in front of me on the trail. It was gone within seconds. Unless you were riding one handed with a pistol at the ready in the other, carrying in those situations would have been pointless.

IdontShootPeopleAnyMore
    Quote Originally Posted by Woozle
    I have had three separate encounters with black bear (within 10 feet) while riding. The encounters were very sudden and the bear quickly moved away, the entire encounters lasting 10 to 15 seconds tops. I saw a mountain lion once about 100 feet in front of me on the trail. It was gone within seconds. Unless you were riding one handed with a pistol at the ready in the other, carrying in those situations would have been pointless.
    very good point...

Also, If you did end up killing a bear, would you have rope with you so you could drag out the bear to the trailhead and take it home and eat it?
    What mountain bike forum do pirates use? .....

MTB-arrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Retro on Steroids
    I spent a week in the Northwest Territory of Canada mountain biking, where bears outnumber people. My host, a biologist who studied bears, had been forced to kill a couple of bears with his .44 pistol in the course of his work.

As a Canadian citizen with a reason to own a handgun, he had one, but as an American tourist, I was not permitted any firearm other than a rifle, and I wasn't going to purchase and pack one around. I took my chances with the bears by making enough noise so they would move out of the area before I arrived.

The biologist said that the only reasons he was able to kill a grizzly with a pistol were, A) close range (one was climbing in the passenger door), B) a powerful weapon, C) No choice, and most important, D) the government of Canada had bought him a lot of ammo so he could practice and hit what he aimed at.

He said a pistol in the hands of anyone but an expert was only going to get you killed by the bear, and your best response was not a bullet but to stand up to the threat and not run. It seemed like everyone I met in the Yukon Territory had faced down a bear or two, but almost no one had ever killed one.

RIS
    banned
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Repack Rider
    ...My host, a biologist who studied bears, had been forced to kill a couple of bears with his .44 pistol in the course of his work.

The biologist said that the only reasons he was able to kill a grizzly with a pistol were, A) close range (one was climbing in the passenger door), B) a powerful weapon...

...I'm just thinking about how loud a full-power .44 Magnum must have been, inside a car.

banned
    Sep 2010
    ...I'm just thinking about how loud a full-power .44 Magnum must have been, inside a car.

Bet the bear sounded louder .

Retro on Steroids
    It wasn't a magnum. People don't really own those things.

RIS
    banned
    Nov 2009
    Ask any Police Officer if they carry off duty.

RIS
    banned
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Repack Rider
    It wasn't a magnum.
    Well then what was it? You said that it was "a powerful weapon", and the .44 Special is a pip-squeak.

People don't really own those things.
    Sure they do.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I carry some heat pads incase I get cold but I find it really difficult to get heat to stay hot in my bag.

mtbr member
    May 2006

What a crock of BS....

First of all bears can go 50 km/h up a steep hill and faster down a steep hill...

At best your "fictional friend" saw a bear and then rode away.

Secondly carry bear spray cause you really don't want to kill a bear without a hunting lisence, the fines are quite large.

RIS
    banned
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by floydlippencott
    Bet the bear sounded louder .
    Um...no.

RIS
    banned
    Nov 2009
    Well fortunately, not all Australian subjects align themselves with TR:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-TC2xTCb_GU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-TC2xTCb_GU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Stucco Bucket
    I qualified on a .44 magnum. Barely. I wouldnt want to carry or shoot that thing all pumped up on a adrenaline.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I carry a Can 'O WhoopAss
    never had to open it

mtbr member
    If the cougar was in heels now that would be something I would not run from. I have a cpl for my state and depending on where and who I went with I might take my g23. The gun has to be somewhere that's easy to get at though, if it's buried deep in a hydra pack it might be worthless. As for all the argument about what will take down what. I remember reading about a couple who were attacked by a bear and the husband shot the bear with a .45. Park Rangers found the bear a short distance off the trail. Ask a farmer how cows are dispatched, a .22 to the head. Indians shot animals with bow and arrows for a long time. Go to shopcorbon.com and find the best load for what you have and practice.

All this being said I have seen some very strange people, who looked very very out of placed while on a couple different trails, could have been drug dealers checking on their crop the other guys could have stashed a body. So keep in mind it's not just four legged creatures to watch out for. I have had a bad gut feeling a couple times while at the trail parking and have made notes, regarding license plated and cars. If I spend a half hour to get to a trail, I'm not going to go all the way back home, I'll just be cautious.
    What am I going to do with forty subscriptions to Vibe?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    For the weight weenies:

You can fill it with hot water if you want heat, but it will probably not stay hot very long.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast