Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2005

The Dark Side of Park Tools?

Forewarning: This post will be controversial. It will incite indignant, knee-jerk reactions. I will be called paranoid, petty, perhaps even worse. Understand that I am not drawing any conclusions here, only raising a suspicion.

Like it has for several years prior, the current Park Tools Inc. catalog contains a bible verse. It’s verse John 1:12: “Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God.” It’s immediately followed by the signature of president Eric Hawkins.

Okay, so we can reasonably assume the leadership of this company has a Christian bent. While unusual, a bible verse in a product catalog isn’t anything to worry about.

Until you combine that fact with this one:

For many years, Park’s frame alignment gauge tool has hung on the wall in most of the bike shops in this country. It’s a decent tool; one I have used countless times. It is also a tool that, in clear, capital letters, bears the word “F A G”.

Before an onslaught of replies from “captain obvious” ensues; please understand that I realize how Park names their tools. The tool names are acronyms based on the tool’s longer-form description. I get it. All I’m saying is this:

Any time a company makes a product, any product; it has to ask itself a simple question: “Shall we adorn said product with a vicious, hateful slur?” In Park’s case, the answer was “yes”.

It’s well known that a sizable faction of Christians are intolerant of homosexuals. My point is that Park COULD have named that tool something else.

AZ
    banned
    That's quite the reach. I guess since you noticed it and use it in that context should tell us something about you? They could have named it something else but Frame Alignment Gauge just so accurately describes it that naming it pedal wrench would do it an injustice.

AZ
    banned
    And since we are on the subject of tools, how long did it take you to jump to this conclusion?

gobsmacked Moderator

Uh oh.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty $anchez View Post
    That's quite the reach. I guess since you noticed it and use it in that context should tell us something about you? They could have named it something else but Frame Alignment Gauge just so accurately describes it that naming it pedal wrench would do it an injustice.
    And what might this tell you about me, exactly?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Does that mean that F.A.G Bearings is also a hate mongering company?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Binned
    Nov 2008
    The word or phrase "f@g" happens to have multiple definitions. Shame on you for thinking of that particular one.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Kbarrette View Post
    Does that mean that F.A.G Bearings is also a hate mongering company?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    In that case, the letters stand for people's names. More importantly, that company doesn't ostensibly market itself as Christian.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    And what might this tell you about me, exactly?

That you could well be a reactionary in the closet Homosexual who is struggling with identity conflict. Or your just a troll.

check your six
    I just have to laugh at this thread.... That is all... please carry on.
    "We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty $anchez View Post
    That you could well be a reactionary in the closet Homosexual who is struggling with identity conflict. Or your just a troll.
    My posting history here reveals I am no troll. And if I were queer, I would have pranced out of the closet a long time ago. I'm just a guy who notices things, and feels maybe a little too comfortable railing against the status-quo.

mtbr member
    Why do you hate monger.
    Hey Miraculous... Go Raiders ! .
    -Dad

AZ
    banned
    My posting history here reveals I am no troll. And if I were queer, I would have pranced out of the closet a long time ago. I'm just a guy who notices things, and feels maybe a little too comfortable railing against the status-quo.

Quoted for truth.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Write something to those guys

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Bicycle User Threads/Tools Has U Really Trolling

Binned
    Nov 2008
    While on vacation in England last Spring, I smoked a f@g with a f@g who was afraid he would get caught for not completing his menial duties for the senior students at his school.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I'm quick to stop patronizing companies that include religion in their marketing; as I'm sure they'ed be quick to dis me for my agnosticsism. I don't care that you're religious; just don't make it part of our retail relationship. That being said; Park tools has always used initials to label their tools, and I'm sure that the *** has nothing more to do with fags than the DAG has to do with dags (BTW, i'm totally into fags and dags; lots of friends in both camps). The bible quote is more disturbing to me, and I'll avoid Park tools in the future if there is a reasonable non-religious alternative.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rtsideup View Post
    I'm quick to stop patronizing companies that include religion in their marketing; as I'm sure they'ed be quick to dis me for my agnosticsism. I don't care that you're religious; just don't make it part of our retail relationship. That being said; Park tools has always used initials to label their tools, and I'm sure that the *** has nothing more to do with fags than the DAG has to do with dags (BTW, i'm totally into fags and dags; lots of friends in both camps). The bible quote is more disturbing to me, and I'll avoid Park tools in the future if there is a reasonable non-religious alternative.
    I really want to believe you're right. I just can't escape the nagging suspicion that Park has been subtly subverting equality this whole time. As a professional, I will always chose the best tool for the job. In some cases, the Park Tool option is superior. Their new crown race puller is phenomenal. But when a non-Park alternative is available, I will chose it every time. Example: Their wheel dishing gauge is garbage.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Well put, and nice to meet like-minded people.

mtbr member
    Didn't you already do this rant in the tools forum a while ago? Ruined one of my threads if I remember correctly.

Killer b.
    My posting history here reveals I am no troll.
    You are now.

I know this is the internet and everything, but not every stupid idea that pops into your head has to be published, you know?
    Posting on the basis that ignorance shared is ignorance doubled.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Yes, and I apologize for that. That wasn't the right time or place.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by The Understater View Post
    You are now.

I know this is the internet and everything, but not every stupid idea that pops into your head has to be published, you know?
    What an interesting reply. Such a thoughtful parry to my factually based, reasoned, but non-conclusive assertion. I'm guessing your reputation ranking was gamed through insider trading.

mtbr member
    I don't get your double standard. I'm on the verge of calling you a Hippocrate.

You can say 'queer' , but they cant label a tool F.A.G.
    You boycott a company, unless they have a tool you want.
    You want to argue while stepping on your weiner.....
    -Dad

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    If Park ends up reading this thread... I'm gonna support you guys more now that I know this about the Bible Verse. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Really? That's very intolerant of you. Why does the Bible Quote disturb you? It's not a call to arms to murder the infidel, after all, but a testament to faith...if you are not a Christian it should have no impact on you either good or bad and you cannot infer from it anything about the owner of Park Tools except that he may be a devout Christian.

You need to let go of your stereotypes.

Also, I love stupid threads. Probably more than the next guy because mountain bikes and parts just aren't that controversial no matter how hard we try to make them so. I mean, I really cannot get worked up about the difference in wheel sizes, for example, because I just kinda' ride what I like.

So God Bless the OP. This topic is wonderfully ridiculous and misguided.

Get to dah choppah
    Name:  12365056-scared-caucasian-couple-eating-popcorn-in-theater.jpg
Views: 1928
Size:  33.8 KB
    Santa Cruz TBc
    Pivot 429c

Killer b.
    What an interesting reply. Such a thoughtful parry to my factually based, reasoned, but non-conclusive assertion. I'm guessing your reputation ranking was gamed through insider trading.
    Another swing, and another miss.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishbucket View Post
    I don't get your double standard. I'm on the verge of calling you a Hippocrate.

You can say 'queer' , but they cant label a tool F.A.G.
    You boycott a company, unless they have a tool you want.
    You want to argue while stepping on your weiner.....
    Them's valid points Fishbucket. All I can say is that I know there's no hate in my heart, for the gays. So I'm more than comfortable using casual slang like "queers". As for continuing to use Park tools on occasion; that's just my professional commitment to doing the job at hand to the best of my ability. While on the clock, that reality trumps my personal issues every time.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I mean, seriously. How can anybody get really passionate about mountain bike components? There are so darn many of them to suit every taste and budget. Same with tools.

The threads I like the best are the ones offering straight information and opinions on things people have actually used and silly things like this.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Them's valid points Fishbucket. All I can say is that I know there's no hate in my heart, for the gays. So I'm more than comfortable using casual slang like "queers". As for continuing to use Park tools on occasion; that's just my professional commitment to doing the job at hand to the best of my ability. While on the clock, that reality trumps my personal issues every time.
    How can you live such a politically correct life? Doesn't yer' head ever feel like it's going to explode with all of the internal contradictions stuffed into it...why, keeping track of what groups it's okay to malign is a full-time job all by itself.

clown question, bro
    This thread has been a lot calmer, thus far, than I was hoping for.

inb4trainwreck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilikebmx999 View Post
    Are we just ignoring balls? Lol

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by zeppy View Post
    This thread has been a lot calmer, thus far, than I was hoping for.

inb4trainwreck.
    Because it is so ridiculous. I think even people who are atheists, agnostics, and gay-rights activists are shaking their heads and saying, "Dude, WTF?"

Killer b.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ailuropoda View Post
    Because it is so ridiculous. I think even people who are atheists, agnostics, and gay-rights activists are shaking their heads and saying, "Dude, WTF?"
    Yep.
    I showed it to my gay apprentice and she thought it was stupid and absurd.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Thread drift, but I honestly and seriously simply assume Jesus WAS gay. It explains a lot about his behavior, demeanor, his relationship with hags and vampy prostitutes, his conflicted relationship with his dad, and of course he REALLY loved his male company.
    Judas was just being b!tchey that Jesus was getting all of the attention.
    It's just so obvious!
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

Elitest thrill junkie
    Really? That's very intolerant of you. Why does the Bible Quote disturb you? It's not a call to arms to murder the infidel
    Well, some parts of it do. It absolutely advocates that.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Yep.
    Okay everybody, shut it down. This guy's gay apprentice is having none of it.

Seriously dude, adults are talking. If you have nothing thoughtful to contribute, then best stay off this particular trail. Other, faster riders are trying to pass on the left.

Elitest thrill junkie
    And I'm content knowing that Park Tools is not the end-all be-all of bicycle tools. Some of their stuff is great and in some areas there's much better stuff. Pedros ergo wrenches are great. Shimano's chain tool is super-high quality and far beyond Park. Spokeys are far better than those wire-loop spoke tools, and so on. Some of Park's stuff is the best by far, but having worked in a shop you get to learn that not all of their stuff is a home run either.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

Axe
    Custom User Title
    call to arms to murder the infidel.
    Solid plan. Worked for millenia.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pyrofighting View Post
    If Park ends up reading this thread... I'm gonna support you guys more now that I know this about the Bible Verse. Thanks!
    Why? Most bible thumpers I know turned out to be hypocrites, think about your own experience.

And then we eat them."

Killer b.
    Okay everybody, shut it down. This guy's gay apprentice is having none of it.

Seriously dude, adults are talking. If you have nothing thoughtful to contribute, then best stay off this particular trail. Other, faster riders are trying to pass on the left.
    Sorry.
    Allow me to re-phrase for accuracy. She thought you were stupid. Frankly, I was just amused to see her reaction to it. Heck, the whole thing is amusing.

Anyway, since it is HIGHLY unlikely that Park Tools have any secret anti-gay agenda, here's something for you to get your knickers in a twist over.

My bike rack (hitch-mount) is called a Q-Spear. The Q is written in pink. It is a fairly big two pronged thing that will hold up to four bikes, or according to an in-joke during the design and prototype phase, two queers.

I'm not making it up. It was just a bit of a red-neck joke that they decided to run with, and they are tremendously popular around here.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Hypocrisy is the natural state of existence for everyone. It does not invalidate faith, belief, political opinions, or anything else.

It is a matter of decorum not to be a hypocrite. Nothing more. The owner of Park Tools is not hypocritical for posting a Bible verse.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Hypocrisy is the natural state of existence for everyone. It does not invalidate faith, belief, political opinions, or anything else.

It is a matter of decorum not to be a hypocrite. Nothing more. The owner of Park Tools is not hypocritical for posting a Bible verse.
    Poke, fair enough...but science almost always invalidates (religious) belief of things that were once 'miraculous!'
    I think I will go yellow.

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Sorry.
    Allow me to re-phrase for accuracy. She thought you were stupid. Frankly, I was just amused to see her reaction to it. Heck, the whole thing is amusing.

Anyway, since it is HIGHLY unlikely that Park Tools have any secret anti-gay agenda, here's something for you to get your knickers in a twist over.

My bike rack (hitch-mount) is called a Q-Spear. The Q is written in pink. It is a fairly big two pronged thing that will hold up to four bikes, or according to an in-joke during the design and prototype phase, two queers.

I'm not making it up. It was just a bit of a red-neck joke that they decided to run with, and they are tremendously popular around here.
    That's actually kinda funny, if not particularly clever. But can't you see the difference between isolated joking and institutionalized discrimination? I'm not too worried about your apprentice thinking I'm stupid. I mean, she's the one looking up to YOU, after all.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Why? Most bible thumpers I know turned out to be hypocrites, think about your own experience.
    I'm far from a Bible Thumper but I am Christian (Catholic). I feel a company should be able to do things like this and not feel pressure from the mainstream to not show your Christianity. Actually anyone with a belief... Christian, Jewish, Muslim shouldn't have to hide their beliefs. If Park tried to force there beliefs on everyone then we would have something to complain about but they aren't.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    I'm far from a Bible Thumper but I am Christian (Catholic). I feel a company should be able to do things like this and not feel pressure from the mainstream to not show your Christianity. Actually anyone with a belief... Christian, Jewish, Muslim shouldn't have to hide their beliefs. If Park tried to force there beliefs on everyone then we would have something to complain about but they aren't.
    However, if jesus/Gawd knows what is in your heart, shouldn't that be all that matters? What I admire about judaism is the absolute ZERO (interfaith) prosyletizing. That should be mandatory, really.
    To me, when I see those types of quotes in advertising, it just seems like cynical preying on the insecure, another form of 'are you with us, or agin' us?' dog-whistling.
    It's cheesy, IMO.
    (But I am a cheesy self promoter, too!)

And then we eat them."

Axe
    Custom User Title
    since it is HIGHLY unlikely that Park Tools have any secret anti-gay agenda
    What about secret pro-gay agenda?

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    What about secret pro-gay agenda?
    EXACTLY! Now I will buy blue! Wait....uhh....this sh!t is so confusing!

And then we eat them."

Killer b.
    That's actually kinda funny, if not particularly clever. But can't you see the difference between isolated joking and institutionalized discrimination? I'm not too worried about your apprentice thinking I'm stupid. I mean, she's the one looking up to YOU, after all.
    That's a very supercilious attitude you've got there.
    Institutionalized discrimination eh?
    Dude, it's a frame alignment gauge.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    However, if jesus/Gawd knows what is in your heart, shouldn't that be all that matters? What I admire about judaism is the absolute ZERO (interfaith) prosyletizing. That should be mandatory, really.
    To me, when I see those types of quotes in advertising, it just seems like cynical preying on the insecure, another form of 'are you with us, or agin' us?' dog-whistling.
    It's cheesy, IMO.
    (But I am a cheesy self promoter, too!)
    To assume anything beyond the simple quote seems odd. None of us have any real facts from the company/ owner. They might have a good reason to have it. To assume they are grandstanding their faith, giving non believers an ultimatum, being anti science, or being anti gay from a simple verse seems crazy.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    To assume anything beyond the simple quote seems odd. None of us have any real facts from the company/ owner. They might have a good reason to have it. To assume they are grandstanding their faith, giving non believers an ultimatum, being anti science, or being anti gay from a simple verse seems crazy.
    Well, to be fair to religion, ALL biblical and other creation myths ARE crazy. I mean, next thing you know, people will become joyous over the return of the lengthening sun, and celebrate! That is just NUTZ!

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I didn't even notice the bible verse until this thread and I am a faithful but often wayward son of the Greek Orthodox Church.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Well, to be fair to religion, ALL biblical and other creation myths ARE crazy. I mean, next thing you know, people will become joyous over the return of the lengthening sun, and celebrate! That is just NUTZ!
    Yeah but people won't say boo to Moslems or Buddhists because they are a protected class. Political correctness. Hypocritical to its rotten core.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Yeah but people won't say boo to Moslems or Buddhists because they are a protected class. Political correctness. Hypocritical to its rotten core.
    I will. But Buddhists? What on EARTH could you possibly say negative about Buddhists?
    Islam? Just like christianity. (And many elements of judaism)...
    "Same shit, different food"

It boils down to rah rah 'go team, we are NUMBER 1!' Mentality. Which is generally insufferable in most of other human behavior, don't you agree?

And then we eat them."

Carbon & Ti rule
    I wish my biggest worry was the part number of a Tool.
    I have a 6 Berth Motorhome that I rent out . It is based in Tauranga, New Zealand

mtbr member
    Yep.
    orly?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/GHZWWFmaFcI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    That's a very supercilious attitude you've got there.
    Institutionalized discrimination eh?
    Dude, it's a frame alignment gauge.
    Look man, no offense. I don't think you can really hang with this discussion, intellectually. I AM taking a stand here, making a statement. I knew it would be easy for folks to trash my perspective. I just requested they do so with thoughtful, topic-based assertions. You've given me nothing..

mtbr member
    You guys have to admit that "Frame Alignment Tool" would be a thoroughly accurate description of the item in question.

Does park hate gays? I doubt we'll answer that question conclusively in this thread.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jackbombay View Post
    You guys have to admit that "Frame Alignment Tool" would be a thoroughly accurate description of the item in question.

Does park hate gays? I doubt we'll answer that question conclusively in this thread.
    See my postulation above. Maybe super-double psyops agenda wrangling?

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Indeed, call it the FAT-2. Thank you. That's all I'm saying.

Never forget true evil rarely appears as such, in any such obvious form.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    I wish my biggest worry was the part number of a Tool.
    . . . gay

No Stranger to danger....
    I personally have never trusted any body that feels the need to quote bible passages to get their point accross, and i wont buy from any company that affiliates itself with any sort of religion, nor will i eat any food or wear any clothes that are shaped through religious beliefs, a perfect example being Halal food here in OZ.

I like this thread lol.
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

Killer b.
    Look man, no offense. I don't think you can really hang with this discussion, intellectually. I AM taking a stand here, making a statement. I knew it would be easy for folks to trash my perspective. I just requested they do so with thoughtful, topic-based assertions. You've given me nothing..
    No you didn't. You really didn't.
    Actually, you took the fact that the President of the company put a bible verse by his photo in the catalogue, and the coincidence that the first letters of a tool for bicycle repair happen to look the same as a term used for both gays and cigarettes, and used your evident dislike for Christianity to construct a slanderous and far fetched accusation of unbelievably subtle bigotry against said company.
    You also surely must be aware of the 'no religion' policy of the site, yet you chose to run with a topic that had religion at it's very heart.
    What you didn't do was ask for any thoughtful, topic based assertions. On the other hand, you have repeatedly played the man rather than the ball.

By the way, no offense taken. I'm having a ball, and now that Tone's has joined the party things should get even better. He'll probably agree with you, but that will be from sheer devilment and shouldn't be taken too seriously.

Interplanetary Poultry

The word gauge is simply more accurate than the word tool. Generally, the word tool implies that it is used to perform work, where as a gauge is used to take a measurement. The frame alignment gauge provides a comparative measurement, therefore the word gauge is more fitting. In a looser sense of the word it can be considered a tool, but to refer to it as a tool might imply to some that it somehow performs the task of correcting the frames alignment; whereas referring to it as a gauge concisely describes it's functionality as a measuring device.

If you ask me it's much ado about nothing......kinda like the Cheerios commercial flap.....
    Editor In Chief, "Internet Tough Guy Magazine"
    "Home of Chuck Norris' Keyboard"

Hi There!
    I don't believe in religion, but I don't have a problem with the bible verse or doing business with a company that quotes them, as long as they offer a quality product. There's a few independent surf shops in my area and one of them has a religious bent, even saying a bible verse at the end of their phone surf report; they are the best local shop and people so I go there. As far as the acronym on the Park Tools, I believe it wasn't intentional.
    NTFTC

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I'm just a guy who notices things, and feels maybe a little too comfortable railing against the status-quo.
    Isn't that the definition of a roll?

mtbr member
    . Never forget true evil rarely appears as such, in any such obvious form.
    You crack me up.... What do you think Evil is fought with??

Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    i wont buy from any company that affiliates itself with any sort of religion,
    No In-n-Out burgers?... No Chick-fil-a ? Now you're talking crazy !!
    -Dad

mtbr member
    Indeed, call it the FAT-2. Thank you. That's all I'm saying.

Never forget true evil rarely appears as such, in any such obvious form.
    Then we'd be reading the same argument about fat people...

check your six
    It is simple. If you don't like/agree with something, don't buy it/watch it.

OP, Your far fetched conclusion of "institutional discrimination" of an acronym to describe a Frame Alignment Gauge is absurd. Everyone in society seems to look for something that is discriminating or "not fair". Society needs to sack up and quit *****in so much over petty issues.
    "We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

mtbr member
    What do you think Evil is fought with??
    Freedom.

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman

I just bought a Park wheel truing stand called "ban guns, anti-abortion, impeach Obama, close the borders". I doubt they are making a statement. Probably didn't even notice that it could be offensive.

- Rob

Elitest thrill junkie
    You crack me up.... What do you think Evil is fought with??

No In-n-Out burgers?...
    They don't have bacon.

If that's not the definition of true evil, I don't know what is.

mtbr member
    Things I find interesting in this thread (Hope I can post random stupid thoughts in a thread so intellectually prepared)

1. Human nature is a funny thing. The OP makes a stupid post and when confronted with it's stupidity he plays the role of a martyr.
    2. Anytime you have to begin a post with "I know I'm going to get flamed for this." That's your brain telling you it's probably stupid to post it.
    3. Everyone hates on the church for being biased but the OP sees a bible verse and is convinced this company is Nazi Germany.

Certified Clyde
    So many angry trolls on this board. Back to the beer forum where people are happy.

Does anyone with half an ounce of common sense really think that a business religious enough to put a scripture in their advertisement would intentionally use a vulgar term on a tool for some kind of conspiracy theory statement? Ahead at full ludicrous speed sir, this thread has jumped the shark.
    - Cody

This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time.

Perpetual n00b
    I always thought Park Tool named the frame alignment gauge to get more bike shop employees to smoke more cigs...

They are in cahootz with Phillip Morris! CONSPIRACY!
    The leg bone's connected to the Cash Bone!

mtbr member
    Also, their wrenches are in the shape of a penis. The important question is why do they also hate women?

mtbr member
    Freedom.
    I had to stop and think about that for a min... then figured out what pic you were trying to post... Then I stopped thinking about it. ..

Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    They don't have bacon.

If that's not the definition of true evil, I don't know what is.
    You DO have a very Valid point !

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jacklikesbeans View Post
    Also, their wrenches are in the shape of a penis. The important question is why do they also hate women?
    No, that means they like women, because women like penis.

Formerly of Kent
    I can't believe I opened this thread, and then read all 3+ pages.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    I can't believe I opened this thread, and then read all 3+ pages.
    Same here. Can someone please change the subject to sex or politics?
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    ...Any time a company makes a product, any product; it has to ask itself a simple question: “Shall we adorn said product with a vicious, hateful slur?” In Park’s case, the answer was “yes”.
    How about *** bearings.

http://www.***.de/content.***.de/en/

I realize the *** is German company, but hey...

Frame Alignment Gage.. Hmm ***. Nothing wrong with that. Rather call it FAT Frame Aligment Tool? Then again is i gage or tool? Gages measure to tool move or hold. Does it align?
    Joe
    '12 Santa Cruz Highball 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5",Vassago Verhauen SS 29" XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

No Stranger to danger....
    No, that means they like women, because women like penis.
    Not all of them Jack, i know a few that hate them, or have grown to hate them from over exposure.....
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

since 4/10/2009
    uhhhhh....that's all I have to say about that.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I can't even justify this stretch of reality to post a reponse to this thread.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg View Post
    I can't even justify this stretch of reality to post a response to this thread.

Oh crap.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

High Desert MTBer
    I just tried smoking my *** and it was quite nice... a little hard to keep going, but gave the lungs a good rasp. Maybe I'll start on the JustOneInternetNothingThread next...
    It's all Here. Now.

Mountain Biking Madman
    Jul 2013
    I find it hard to believe that someone could actually think that they were initialing their tool to target fags.If it bothers you that much why don't you quit using their tools i'm sure it will devastate them when they notice their enormous sales loss you caused.And if anything what is wrong with a company having some morals I use park tools and have always liked their tools now I will have a extra encouragement when purchasing one.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by -sparky- View Post
    .And if anything what is wrong with a company having some morals I use park tools and have always liked their tools now I will have a extra encouragement when purchasing one.
    Tossing around bible quotes generally has very little to do with morals, my friend.

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    Not all of them Jack, i know a few that hate them, or have grown to hate them from over exposure.....
    Well yea, there are plenty of guys that hate pvssy too, but I was generalizing for the sake of brevity.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I am certain you are on to something here.... the idea that a bike tool company would create a subliminal message to bicyclists everywhere.... so now a small handful of people, bonded by riding bicycles will be subliminally told that gays are bad mmmmkay.

No, scratch that, I am becoming a fairly avid cyclist, and had NO idea such a tool even existed, so I'm to guess that a VERY small portion of the cycling population will get this message.

Yeah, no... can't stretch that far.

I ride with tools
    I really want to believe you're right. I just can't escape the nagging suspicion that Park has been subtly subverting equality this whole time .
    Conspiracy theory much?

Um, just how many f@gs do you think have been affected by this?

As a professional, I will always chose the best tool for the job. In some cases, the Park Tool option is superior. Their new crown race puller is phenomenal. But when a non-Park alternative is available, I will chose it every time. Example: Their wheel dishing gauge is garbage.
    You're no professional. A pro knows when to keep his mouth shut.

"Better to remain silent and be suspected a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt".

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Everybody is a hypocrite. Nobody's perfect. People are hypocrites, Christianity is not. Learn the difference.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I personally have never trusted any body that feels the need to quote bible passages to get their point accross, and i wont buy from any company that affiliates itself with any sort of religion, nor will i eat any food or wear any clothes that are shaped through religious beliefs, a perfect example being Halal food here in OZ.

I like this thread lol.
    I personally have never trusted anybody that isn't a Christian. I will choose to purchase a product from a Christian, or at least an ethical person, over somebody that isn't.

I ride with tools
    I love how the OP has disappeared.

And I love tools. In fact, check my custom user title: I ride with tools!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I imagine something more along the lines of...

One Monday morning at the Park Tool Headquarters

John: We finished the new tool!
    George: Excellent, what's the acronym?
    John: Well, it's a Frame Alignment Guide, uh oh, we can't create this tool!
    George: Nonsense, why would be break habit, tradition, or lose money over something as naive as the initials on our tool.
    John: Good point, any mature adult would overlook this coincidental matter instead of cast hateful blame.

Years later...

Subject: The Dark Side of Park Tools?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Ha! That's a good point. A tool that says "tool" on it could be offensive to tools. Just like "fat" could be offensive to fat people. Everything's offensive. Even "Park" could isolate those people that don't have one nearby. Nipples? Don't go there. Rubber? Promotes safe sex. What has this world become?

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainbiker24 View Post
    I personally have never trusted anybody that isn't a Christian. I will choose to purchase a product from a Christian, or at least an ethical person, over somebody that isn't.
    So you accept that there can be ethical people that are not Christians? Then is it a stretch to assume that ethical people can be trustworthy too? Even when they are not Christians? I might suggest you think about what you write a little more carefully, then you might actually open your mind a little to the fact that not all good people are Christians, and not all Christians are good people... this thread is therefore pointless, but I think we knew that a long time ago!
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    So you accept that there can be ethical people that are not Christians? Then is it a stretch to assume that ethical people can be trustworthy too? Even when they are not Christians? I might suggest you think about what you write a little more carefully, then you might actually open your mind a little to the fact that not all good people are Christians, and not all Christians are good people... this thread is therefore pointless, but I think we knew that a long time ago!
    1) I know a Christian is ethical. A true Christian, anyway.

2) I obviously believe that not all good people are Christian, given that I just said that in the quote you quoted. Not that I need to justify anything to you, but I know I can trust a true Christian. I need to get to know a non-Christian before completely trusting them. I also need to get to know Christians before trusting them, too, since not all "Christians" are truly Christian. It's sort of like saying I prefer a doctor to give me medical advice over somebody that isn't, because the title is comforting, even though a non-doctor may be perfectly qualified.

3) A Christian that isn't a good person isn't much of a Christian.

4) If this thread was pointless, why are you posting here?

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainbiker24 View Post
    1) I know a Christian is ethical. A true Christian, anyway.

2) I obviously believe that not all good people are Christian, given that I just said I did. I know I can trust a true Christian. I need to get to know a non-Christian before completely trusting them. I also need to get to know Christians before trusting them, too, since not all "Christians" are truly Christian. It's sort of like saying I prefer a doctor to give me medical advice over somebody that isn't, because the title is comforting, even though a non-doctor may be perfectly qualified.

3) A Christian that isn't a good person isn't much of a Christian.

4) If this thread was pointless, why are you posting here?
    But can you now at least trust someone who is not Christian? Maybe... just a little?...? That would be a start! And it would also bring this thread into the realms of relevance if someone managed to change their behavior/belief for the better...
    It's all Here. Now.

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasp4Air View Post
    Same here. Can someone please change the subject to sex or politics?
    Why not both?

Sometimes, I question the value of my content.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast