Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2005

The Dark Side of Park Tools?

Forewarning: This post will be controversial. It will incite indignant, knee-jerk reactions. I will be called paranoid, petty, perhaps even worse. Understand that I am not drawing any conclusions here, only raising a suspicion.

Like it has for several years prior, the current Park Tools Inc. catalog contains a bible verse. It’s verse John 1:12: “Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God.” It’s immediately followed by the signature of president Eric Hawkins.

Okay, so we can reasonably assume the leadership of this company has a Christian bent. While unusual, a bible verse in a product catalog isn’t anything to worry about.

Until you combine that fact with this one:

For many years, Park’s frame alignment gauge tool has hung on the wall in most of the bike shops in this country. It’s a decent tool; one I have used countless times. It is also a tool that, in clear, capital letters, bears the word “F A G”.

Before an onslaught of replies from “captain obvious” ensues; please understand that I realize how Park names their tools. The tool names are acronyms based on the tool’s longer-form description. I get it. All I’m saying is this:

Any time a company makes a product, any product; it has to ask itself a simple question: “Shall we adorn said product with a vicious, hateful slur?” In Park’s case, the answer was “yes”.

It’s well known that a sizable faction of Christians are intolerant of homosexuals. My point is that Park COULD have named that tool something else.

AZ
    banned
    That's quite the reach. I guess since you noticed it and use it in that context should tell us something about you? They could have named it something else but Frame Alignment Gauge just so accurately describes it that naming it pedal wrench would do it an injustice.

AZ
    banned
    And since we are on the subject of tools, how long did it take you to jump to this conclusion?

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008

Uh oh.
    Wanted: WTB rollercams and brake bridges

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty $anchez View Post
    That's quite the reach. I guess since you noticed it and use it in that context should tell us something about you? They could have named it something else but Frame Alignment Gauge just so accurately describes it that naming it pedal wrench would do it an injustice.
    And what might this tell you about me, exactly?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Does that mean that F.A.G Bearings is also a hate mongering company?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

official eMpTyBRain
    The word or phrase "f@g" happens to have multiple definitions. Shame on you for thinking of that particular one.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Kbarrette View Post
    Does that mean that F.A.G Bearings is also a hate mongering company?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    In that case, the letters stand for people's names. More importantly, that company doesn't ostensibly market itself as Christian.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    And what might this tell you about me, exactly?

That you could well be a reactionary in the closet Homosexual who is struggling with identity conflict. Or your just a troll.

sympathy for society
    I just have to laugh at this thread.... That is all... please carry on.
    "We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty $anchez View Post
    That you could well be a reactionary in the closet Homosexual who is struggling with identity conflict. Or your just a troll.
    My posting history here reveals I am no troll. And if I were queer, I would have pranced out of the closet a long time ago. I'm just a guy who notices things, and feels maybe a little too comfortable railing against the status-quo.

mtbr member
    Why do you hate monger.
    Hey Miraculous... Go Raiders ! .
    -Dad

AZ
    banned
    My posting history here reveals I am no troll. And if I were queer, I would have pranced out of the closet a long time ago. I'm just a guy who notices things, and feels maybe a little too comfortable railing against the status-quo.

Quoted for truth.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Write something to those guys

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Bicycle User Threads/Tools Has U Really Trolling

official eMpTyBRain
    While on vacation in England last Spring, I smoked a f@g with a f@g who was afraid he would get caught for not completing his menial duties for the senior students at his school.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I'm quick to stop patronizing companies that include religion in their marketing; as I'm sure they'ed be quick to dis me for my agnosticsism. I don't care that you're religious; just don't make it part of our retail relationship. That being said; Park tools has always used initials to label their tools, and I'm sure that the *** has nothing more to do with fags than the DAG has to do with dags (BTW, i'm totally into fags and dags; lots of friends in both camps). The bible quote is more disturbing to me, and I'll avoid Park tools in the future if there is a reasonable non-religious alternative.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rtsideup View Post
    I'm quick to stop patronizing companies that include religion in their marketing; as I'm sure they'ed be quick to dis me for my agnosticsism. I don't care that you're religious; just don't make it part of our retail relationship. That being said; Park tools has always used initials to label their tools, and I'm sure that the *** has nothing more to do with fags than the DAG has to do with dags (BTW, i'm totally into fags and dags; lots of friends in both camps). The bible quote is more disturbing to me, and I'll avoid Park tools in the future if there is a reasonable non-religious alternative.
    I really want to believe you're right. I just can't escape the nagging suspicion that Park has been subtly subverting equality this whole time. As a professional, I will always chose the best tool for the job. In some cases, the Park Tool option is superior. Their new crown race puller is phenomenal. But when a non-Park alternative is available, I will chose it every time. Example: Their wheel dishing gauge is garbage.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rtsideup View Post
    Well put, and nice to meet like-minded people.
    Blur LT & Highball

mtbr member
    Didn't you already do this rant in the tools forum a while ago? Ruined one of my threads if I remember correctly.

more carbon=more awesome
    My posting history here reveals I am no troll.
    You are now.

I know this is the internet and everything, but not every stupid idea that pops into your head has to be published, you know?
    Posting on the basis that ignorance shared is ignorance doubled.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Yes, and I apologize for that. That wasn't the right time or place.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by The Understater View Post
    You are now.

I know this is the internet and everything, but not every stupid idea that pops into your head has to be published, you know?
    What an interesting reply. Such a thoughtful parry to my factually based, reasoned, but non-conclusive assertion. I'm guessing your reputation ranking was gamed through insider trading.

mtbr member
    I don't get your double standard. I'm on the verge of calling you a Hippocrate.

You can say 'queer' , but they cant label a tool F.A.G.
    You boycott a company, unless they have a tool you want.
    You want to argue while stepping on your weiner.....
    Hey Miraculous... Go Raiders ! .
    -Dad

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    If Park ends up reading this thread... I'm gonna support you guys more now that I know this about the Bible Verse. Thanks!

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast