Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pyrofighting View Post
    To assume anything beyond the simple quote seems odd. None of us have any real facts from the company/ owner. They might have a good reason to have it. To assume they are grandstanding their faith, giving non believers an ultimatum, being anti science, or being anti gay from a simple verse seems crazy.
    Well, to be fair to religion, ALL biblical and other creation myths ARE crazy. I mean, next thing you know, people will become joyous over the return of the lengthening sun, and celebrate! That is just NUTZ!
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by pyrofighting View Post
    To assume anything beyond the simple quote seems odd. None of us have any real facts from the company/ owner. They might have a good reason to have it. To assume they are grandstanding their faith, giving non believers an ultimatum, being anti science, or being anti gay from a simple verse seems crazy.
    I didn't even notice the bible verse until this thread and I am a faithful but often wayward son of the Greek Orthodox Church.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Well, to be fair to religion, ALL biblical and other creation myths ARE crazy. I mean, next thing you know, people will become joyous over the return of the lengthening sun, and celebrate! That is just NUTZ!
    Yeah but people won't say boo to Moslems or Buddhists because they are a protected class. Political correctness. Hypocritical to its rotten core.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Ailuropoda View Post
    Yeah but people won't say boo to Moslems or Buddhists because they are a protected class. Political correctness. Hypocritical to its rotten core.
    I will. But Buddhists? What on EARTH could you possibly say negative about Buddhists?
    Islam? Just like christianity. (And many elements of judaism)...
    "Same ****, different food"

It boils down to rah rah 'go team, we are NUMBER 1!' Mentality. Which is generally insufferable in most of other human behavior, don't you agree?

And then we eat them."

Carbon & Ti rule
    I wish my biggest worry was the part number of a Tool.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by The Understater View Post
    Yep.
    I showed it to my gay apprentice and she thought it was stupid and absurd.
    orly?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by The Understater View Post
    That's a very supercilious attitude you've got there.
    Institutionalized discrimination eh?
    Dude, it's a frame alignment gauge.
    Look man, no offense. I don't think you can really hang with this discussion, intellectually. I AM taking a stand here, making a statement. I knew it would be easy for folks to trash my perspective. I just requested they do so with thoughtful, topic-based assertions. You've given me nothing..

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    You guys have to admit that "Frame Alignment Tool" would be a thoroughly accurate description of the item in question.

Does park hate gays? I doubt we'll answer that question conclusively in this thread.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jackbombay View Post
    You guys have to admit that "Frame Alignment Tool" would be a thoroughly accurate description of the item in question.

Does park hate gays? I doubt we'll answer that question conclusively in this thread.
    See my postulation above. Maybe super-double psyops agenda wrangling?

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Indeed, call it the FAT-2. Thank you. That's all I'm saying.

Never forget true evil rarely appears as such, in any such obvious form.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    I wish my biggest worry was the part number of a Tool.
    . . . gay

No Stranger to danger....
    I personally have never trusted any body that feels the need to quote bible passages to get their point accross, and i wont buy from any company that affiliates itself with any sort of religion, nor will i eat any food or wear any clothes that are shaped through religious beliefs, a perfect example being Halal food here in OZ.

I like this thread lol.
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

more carbon=more awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Look man, no offense. I don't think you can really hang with this discussion, intellectually. I AM taking a stand here, making a statement. I knew it would be easy for folks to trash my perspective. I just requested they do so with thoughtful, topic-based assertions. You've given me nothing..
    No you didn't. You really didn't.
    Actually, you took the fact that the President of the company put a bible verse by his photo in the catalogue, and the coincidence that the first letters of a tool for bicycle repair happen to look the same as a term used for both gays and cigarettes, and used your evident dislike for Christianity to construct a slanderous and far fetched accusation of unbelievably subtle bigotry against said company.
    You also surely must be aware of the 'no religion' policy of the site, yet you chose to run with a topic that had religion at it's very heart.
    What you didn't do was ask for any thoughtful, topic based assertions. On the other hand, you have repeatedly played the man rather than the ball.

By the way, no offense taken. I'm having a ball, and now that Tone's has joined the party things should get even better. He'll probably agree with you, but that will be from sheer devilment and shouldn't be taken too seriously.
    Posting on the basis that ignorance shared is ignorance doubled.

Interplanetary Poultry

The word gauge is simply more accurate than the word tool. Generally, the word tool implies that it is used to perform work, where as a gauge is used to take a measurement. The frame alignment gauge provides a comparative measurement, therefore the word gauge is more fitting. In a looser sense of the word it can be considered a tool, but to refer to it as a tool might imply to some that it somehow performs the task of correcting the frames alignment; whereas referring to it as a gauge concisely describes it's functionality as a measuring device.

If you ask me it's much ado about nothing......kinda like the Cheerios commercial flap.....
    Editor In Chief, "Internet Tough Guy Magazine"
    "Home of Chuck Norris' Keyboard"

Hi There!
    I don't believe in religion, but I don't have a problem with the bible verse or doing business with a company that quotes them, as long as they offer a quality product. There's a few independent surf shops in my area and one of them has a religious bent, even saying a bible verse at the end of their phone surf report; they are the best local shop and people so I go there. As far as the acronym on the Park Tools, I believe it wasn't intentional.
    NTFTC

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I'm just a guy who notices things, and feels maybe a little too comfortable railing against the status-quo.
    Isn't that the definition of a roll?

mtbr member
    . Never forget true evil rarely appears as such, in any such obvious form.
    You crack me up.... What do you think Evil is fought with??

Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    i wont buy from any company that affiliates itself with any sort of religion,
    No In-n-Out burgers?... No Chick-fil-a ? Now you're talking crazy !!
    Hey Miraculous... Go Raiders ! .
    -Dad

mtbr member
    Indeed, call it the FAT-2. Thank you. That's all I'm saying.

Never forget true evil rarely appears as such, in any such obvious form.
    Then we'd be reading the same argument about fat people...

check your six
    It is simple. If you don't like/agree with something, don't buy it/watch it.

OP, Your far fetched conclusion of "institutional discrimination" of an acronym to describe a Frame Alignment Gauge is absurd. Everyone in society seems to look for something that is discriminating or "not fair". Society needs to sack up and quit *****in so much over petty issues.
    "We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishbucket View Post
    What do you think Evil is fought with??
    Freedom.

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman

The Dark Side of Park Tools?

I just bought a Park wheel truing stand called "ban guns, anti-abortion, impeach Obama, close the borders". I doubt they are making a statement. Probably didn't even notice that it could be offensive.

- Rob
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten." - Benjamin Franklin

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishbucket View Post
    You crack me up.... What do you think Evil is fought with??

No In-n-Out burgers?...
    They don't have bacon.

If that's not the definition of true evil, I don't know what is.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Things I find interesting in this thread (Hope I can post random stupid thoughts in a thread so intellectually prepared)

1. Human nature is a funny thing. The OP makes a stupid post and when confronted with it's stupidity he plays the role of a martyr.
    2. Anytime you have to begin a post with "I know I'm going to get flamed for this." That's your brain telling you it's probably stupid to post it.
    3. Everyone hates on the church for being biased but the OP sees a bible verse and is convinced this company is Nazi Germany.

Certified Clyde
    So many angry trolls on this board. Back to the beer forum where people are happy.

Does anyone with half an ounce of common sense really think that a business religious enough to put a scripture in their advertisement would intentionally use a vulgar term on a tool for some kind of conspiracy theory statement? Ahead at full ludicrous speed sir, this thread has jumped the shark.
    - Cody

This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time.

Perpetual n00b
    I always thought Park Tool named the frame alignment gauge to get more bike shop employees to smoke more cigs...

They are in cahootz with Phillip Morris! CONSPIRACY!
    When the chicks at school see how gay we are, they're gonna be all over us.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast