Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by rtsideup View Post
    I'm quick to stop patronizing companies that include religion in their marketing; as I'm sure they'ed be quick to dis me for my agnosticsism. I don't care that you're religious; just don't make it part of our retail relationship. That being said; Park tools has always used initials to label their tools, and I'm sure that the *** has nothing more to do with fags than the DAG has to do with dags (BTW, i'm totally into fags and dags; lots of friends in both camps). The bible quote is more disturbing to me, and I'll avoid Park tools in the future if there is a reasonable non-religious alternative.
    Really? That's very intolerant of you. Why does the Bible Quote disturb you? It's not a call to arms to murder the infidel, after all, but a testament to faith...if you are not a Christian it should have no impact on you either good or bad and you cannot infer from it anything about the owner of Park Tools except that he may be a devout Christian.

You need to let go of your stereotypes.

Also, I love stupid threads. Probably more than the next guy because mountain bikes and parts just aren't that controversial no matter how hard we try to make them so. I mean, I really cannot get worked up about the difference in wheel sizes, for example, because I just kinda' ride what I like.

So God Bless the OP. This topic is wonderfully ridiculous and misguided.

Get to dah choppah
    Name:  12365056-scared-caucasian-couple-eating-popcorn-in-theater.jpg
Views: 1071
Size:  33.8 KB
    Santa Cruz TBc
    Pivot 429c

more carbon=more awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    What an interesting reply. Such a thoughtful parry to my factually based, reasoned, but non-conclusive assertion. I'm guessing your reputation ranking was gamed through insider trading.
    Another swing, and another miss.
    Posting on the basis that ignorance shared is ignorance doubled.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishbucket View Post
    I don't get your double standard. I'm on the verge of calling you a Hippocrate.

You can say 'queer' , but they cant label a tool F.A.G.
    You boycott a company, unless they have a tool you want.
    You want to argue while stepping on your weiner.....
    Them's valid points Fishbucket. All I can say is that I know there's no hate in my heart, for the gays. So I'm more than comfortable using casual slang like "queers". As for continuing to use Park tools on occasion; that's just my professional commitment to doing the job at hand to the best of my ability. While on the clock, that reality trumps my personal issues every time.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I mean, seriously. How can anybody get really passionate about mountain bike components? There are so darn many of them to suit every taste and budget. Same with tools.

The threads I like the best are the ones offering straight information and opinions on things people have actually used and silly things like this.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Them's valid points Fishbucket. All I can say is that I know there's no hate in my heart, for the gays. So I'm more than comfortable using casual slang like "queers". As for continuing to use Park tools on occasion; that's just my professional commitment to doing the job at hand to the best of my ability. While on the clock, that reality trumps my personal issues every time.
    How can you live such a politically correct life? Doesn't yer' head ever feel like it's going to explode with all of the internal contradictions stuffed into it...why, keeping track of what groups it's okay to malign is a full-time job all by itself.

clown question, bro
    This thread has been a lot calmer, thus far, than I was hoping for.

inb4trainwreck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilikebmx999 View Post
    Are we just ignoring balls? Lol

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by zeppy View Post
    This thread has been a lot calmer, thus far, than I was hoping for.

inb4trainwreck.
    Because it is so ridiculous. I think even people who are atheists, agnostics, and gay-rights activists are shaking their heads and saying, "Dude, WTF?"

more carbon=more awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by Ailuropoda View Post
    Because it is so ridiculous. I think even people who are atheists, agnostics, and gay-rights activists are shaking their heads and saying, "Dude, WTF?"
    Yep.
    I showed it to my gay apprentice and she thought it was stupid and absurd.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Thread drift, but I honestly and seriously simply assume Jesus WAS gay. It explains a lot about his behavior, demeanor, his relationship with hags and vampy prostitutes, his conflicted relationship with his dad, and of course he REALLY loved his male company.
    Judas was just being b!tchey that Jesus was getting all of the attention.
    It's just so obvious!
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

Elitest thrill junkie
    Really? That's very intolerant of you. Why does the Bible Quote disturb you? It's not a call to arms to murder the infidel
    Well, some parts of it do. It absolutely advocates that.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by The Understater View Post
    Yep.
    I showed it to my gay apprentice and she thought it was stupid and absurd.
    Okay everybody, shut it down. This guy's gay apprentice is having none of it.

Seriously dude, adults are talking. If you have nothing thoughtful to contribute, then best stay off this particular trail. Other, faster riders are trying to pass on the left.

Elitest thrill junkie
    And I'm content knowing that Park Tools is not the end-all be-all of bicycle tools. Some of their stuff is great and in some areas there's much better stuff. Pedros ergo wrenches are great. Shimano's chain tool is super-high quality and far beyond Park. Spokeys are far better than those wire-loop spoke tools, and so on. Some of Park's stuff is the best by far, but having worked in a shop you get to learn that not all of their stuff is a home run either.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    call to arms to murder the infidel.
    Solid plan. Worked for millenia.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pyrofighting View Post
    If Park ends up reading this thread... I'm gonna support you guys more now that I know this about the Bible Verse. Thanks!
    Why? Most bible thumpers I know turned out to be hypocrites, think about your own experience.

And then we eat them."

more carbon=more awesome
    Okay everybody, shut it down. This guy's gay apprentice is having none of it.

Seriously dude, adults are talking. If you have nothing thoughtful to contribute, then best stay off this particular trail. Other, faster riders are trying to pass on the left.
    Sorry.
    Allow me to re-phrase for accuracy. She thought you were stupid. Frankly, I was just amused to see her reaction to it. Heck, the whole thing is amusing.

Anyway, since it is HIGHLY unlikely that Park Tools have any secret anti-gay agenda, here's something for you to get your knickers in a twist over.

My bike rack (hitch-mount) is called a Q-Spear. The Q is written in pink. It is a fairly big two pronged thing that will hold up to four bikes, or according to an in-joke during the design and prototype phase, two queers.

I'm not making it up. It was just a bit of a red-neck joke that they decided to run with, and they are tremendously popular around here.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Hypocrisy is the natural state of existence for everyone. It does not invalidate faith, belief, political opinions, or anything else.

It is a matter of decorum not to be a hypocrite. Nothing more. The owner of Park Tools is not hypocritical for posting a Bible verse.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Hypocrisy is the natural state of existence for everyone. It does not invalidate faith, belief, political opinions, or anything else.

It is a matter of decorum not to be a hypocrite. Nothing more. The owner of Park Tools is not hypocritical for posting a Bible verse.
    Poke, fair enough...but science almost always invalidates (religious) belief of things that were once 'miraculous!'
    I think I will go yellow.

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Sorry.
    Allow me to re-phrase for accuracy. She thought you were stupid. Frankly, I was just amused to see her reaction to it. Heck, the whole thing is amusing.

Anyway, since it is HIGHLY unlikely that Park Tools have any secret anti-gay agenda, here's something for you to get your knickers in a twist over.

My bike rack (hitch-mount) is called a Q-Spear. The Q is written in pink. It is a fairly big two pronged thing that will hold up to four bikes, or according to an in-joke during the design and prototype phase, two queers.

I'm not making it up. It was just a bit of a red-neck joke that they decided to run with, and they are tremendously popular around here.
    That's actually kinda funny, if not particularly clever. But can't you see the difference between isolated joking and institutionalized discrimination? I'm not too worried about your apprentice thinking I'm stupid. I mean, she's the one looking up to YOU, after all.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Why? Most bible thumpers I know turned out to be hypocrites, think about your own experience.
    I'm far from a Bible Thumper but I am Christian (Catholic). I feel a company should be able to do things like this and not feel pressure from the mainstream to not show your Christianity. Actually anyone with a belief... Christian, Jewish, Muslim shouldn't have to hide their beliefs. If Park tried to force there beliefs on everyone then we would have something to complain about but they aren't.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pyrofighting View Post
    I'm far from a Bible Thumper but I am Christian (Catholic). I feel a company should be able to do things like this and not feel pressure from the mainstream to not show your Christianity. Actually anyone with a belief... Christian, Jewish, Muslim shouldn't have to hide their beliefs. If Park tried to force there beliefs on everyone then we would have something to complain about but they aren't.
    However, if jesus/Gawd knows what is in your heart, shouldn't that be all that matters? What I admire about judaism is the absolute ZERO (interfaith) prosyletizing. That should be mandatory, really.
    To me, when I see those types of quotes in advertising, it just seems like cynical preying on the insecure, another form of 'are you with us, or agin' us?' dog-whistling.
    It's cheesy, IMO.
    (But I am a cheesy self promoter, too!)

And then we eat them."

Axe
    Custom User Title
    since it is HIGHLY unlikely that Park Tools have any secret anti-gay agenda
    What about secret pro-gay agenda?

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    What about secret pro-gay agenda?
    EXACTLY! Now I will buy blue! Wait....uhh....this sh!t is so confusing!

And then we eat them."

more carbon=more awesome
    That's actually kinda funny, if not particularly clever. But can't you see the difference between isolated joking and institutionalized discrimination? I'm not too worried about your apprentice thinking I'm stupid. I mean, she's the one looking up to YOU, after all.
    That's a very supercilious attitude you've got there.
    Institutionalized discrimination eh?
    Dude, it's a frame alignment gauge.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    However, if jesus/Gawd knows what is in your heart, shouldn't that be all that matters? What I admire about judaism is the absolute ZERO (interfaith) prosyletizing. That should be mandatory, really.
    To me, when I see those types of quotes in advertising, it just seems like cynical preying on the insecure, another form of 'are you with us, or agin' us?' dog-whistling.
    It's cheesy, IMO.
    (But I am a cheesy self promoter, too!)
    To assume anything beyond the simple quote seems odd. None of us have any real facts from the company/ owner. They might have a good reason to have it. To assume they are grandstanding their faith, giving non believers an ultimatum, being anti science, or being anti gay from a simple verse seems crazy.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast