Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 51 to 100 of 220
  1. #51
    Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,877
    Quote Originally Posted by pyrofighting View Post
    To assume anything beyond the simple quote seems odd. None of us have any real facts from the company/ owner. They might have a good reason to have it. To assume they are grandstanding their faith, giving non believers an ultimatum, being anti science, or being anti gay from a simple verse seems crazy.
    Well, to be fair to religion, ALL biblical and other creation myths ARE crazy. I mean, next thing you know, people will become joyous over the return of the lengthening sun, and celebrate! That is just NUTZ!
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

    And then we eat them."

  2. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    956
    Quote Originally Posted by pyrofighting View Post
    To assume anything beyond the simple quote seems odd. None of us have any real facts from the company/ owner. They might have a good reason to have it. To assume they are grandstanding their faith, giving non believers an ultimatum, being anti science, or being anti gay from a simple verse seems crazy.
    I didn't even notice the bible verse until this thread and I am a faithful but often wayward son of the Greek Orthodox Church.

  3. #53
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    956
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Well, to be fair to religion, ALL biblical and other creation myths ARE crazy. I mean, next thing you know, people will become joyous over the return of the lengthening sun, and celebrate! That is just NUTZ!
    Yeah but people won't say boo to Moslems or Buddhists because they are a protected class. Political correctness. Hypocritical to its rotten core.

  4. #54
    Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,877
    Quote Originally Posted by Ailuropoda View Post
    Yeah but people won't say boo to Moslems or Buddhists because they are a protected class. Political correctness. Hypocritical to its rotten core.
    I will. But Buddhists? What on EARTH could you possibly say negative about Buddhists?
    Islam? Just like christianity. (And many elements of judaism)...
    "Same shit, different food"

    It boils down to rah rah 'go team, we are NUMBER 1!' Mentality. Which is generally insufferable in most of other human behavior, don't you agree?
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

    And then we eat them."

  5. #55
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,397
    I wish my biggest worry was the part number of a Tool.
    Raising money, my friend broke his neck Mtbing, Please Share link. http://givealittle.co.nz/cause/elliottkeys/donations

  6. #56
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jackbombay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    667
    Quote Originally Posted by The Understater View Post
    Yep.
    I showed it to my gay apprentice and she thought it was stupid and absurd.
    orly?

    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/GHZWWFmaFcI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

  7. #57
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    203
    Quote Originally Posted by The Understater View Post
    That's a very supercilious attitude you've got there.
    Institutionalized discrimination eh?
    Dude, it's a frame alignment gauge.
    Look man, no offense. I don't think you can really hang with this discussion, intellectually. I AM taking a stand here, making a statement. I knew it would be easy for folks to trash my perspective. I just requested they do so with thoughtful, topic-based assertions. You've given me nothing..

  8. #58
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jackbombay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    667
    You guys have to admit that "Frame Alignment Tool" would be a thoroughly accurate description of the item in question.

    Does park hate gays? I doubt we'll answer that question conclusively in this thread.

  9. #59
    Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,877
    Quote Originally Posted by jackbombay View Post
    You guys have to admit that "Frame Alignment Tool" would be a thoroughly accurate description of the item in question.

    Does park hate gays? I doubt we'll answer that question conclusively in this thread.
    See my postulation above. Maybe super-double psyops agenda wrangling?
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

    And then we eat them."

  10. #60
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    203
    Quote Originally Posted by jackbombay View Post
    You guys have to admit that "Frame Alignment Tool" would be a thoroughly accurate description of the item in question.

    Does park hate gays? I doubt we'll answer that question conclusively in this thread.
    Indeed, call it the FAT-2. Thank you. That's all I'm saying.

    Never forget true evil rarely appears as such, in any such obvious form.

  11. #61
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    203
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    I wish my biggest worry was the part number of a Tool.
    . . . gay

  12. #62
    No Stranger to danger....
    Reputation: Tone's's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    4,596
    I personally have never trusted any body that feels the need to quote bible passages to get their point accross, and i wont buy from any company that affiliates itself with any sort of religion, nor will i eat any food or wear any clothes that are shaped through religious beliefs, a perfect example being Halal food here in OZ.

    I like this thread lol.
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

  13. #63
    Killer b.
    Reputation: The Understater's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,501
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Look man, no offense. I don't think you can really hang with this discussion, intellectually. I AM taking a stand here, making a statement. I knew it would be easy for folks to trash my perspective. I just requested they do so with thoughtful, topic-based assertions. You've given me nothing..
    No you didn't. You really didn't.
    Actually, you took the fact that the President of the company put a bible verse by his photo in the catalogue, and the coincidence that the first letters of a tool for bicycle repair happen to look the same as a term used for both gays and cigarettes, and used your evident dislike for Christianity to construct a slanderous and far fetched accusation of unbelievably subtle bigotry against said company.
    You also surely must be aware of the 'no religion' policy of the site, yet you chose to run with a topic that had religion at it's very heart.
    What you didn't do was ask for any thoughtful, topic based assertions. On the other hand, you have repeatedly played the man rather than the ball.

    By the way, no offense taken. I'm having a ball, and now that Tone's has joined the party things should get even better. He'll probably agree with you, but that will be from sheer devilment and shouldn't be taken too seriously.
    Posting on the basis that ignorance shared is ignorance doubled.

  14. #64
    Interplanetary Poultry
    Reputation: scatterbrained's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    220
    Quote Originally Posted by jackbombay View Post
    You guys have to admit that "Frame Alignment Tool" would be a thoroughly accurate description of the item in question.

    Does park hate gays? I doubt we'll answer that question conclusively in this thread.
    The word gauge is simply more accurate than the word tool. Generally, the word tool implies that it is used to perform work, where as a gauge is used to take a measurement. The frame alignment gauge provides a comparative measurement, therefore the word gauge is more fitting. In a looser sense of the word it can be considered a tool, but to refer to it as a tool might imply to some that it somehow performs the task of correcting the frames alignment; whereas referring to it as a gauge concisely describes it's functionality as a measuring device.

    If you ask me it's much ado about nothing......kinda like the Cheerios commercial flap.....
    Editor In Chief, "Internet Tough Guy Magazine"
    "Home of Chuck Norris' Keyboard"

  15. #65
    Hi There!
    Reputation: thegweed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,363
    I don't believe in religion, but I don't have a problem with the bible verse or doing business with a company that quotes them, as long as they offer a quality product. There's a few independent surf shops in my area and one of them has a religious bent, even saying a bible verse at the end of their phone surf report; they are the best local shop and people so I go there. As far as the acronym on the Park Tools, I believe it wasn't intentional.
    NTFTC

  16. #66
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    921
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    I'm just a guy who notices things, and feels maybe a little too comfortable railing against the status-quo.
    Isn't that the definition of a roll?

  17. #67
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fishbucket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    2,259
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    . Never forget true evil rarely appears as such, in any such obvious form.
    You crack me up.... What do you think Evil is fought with??

    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    i wont buy from any company that affiliates itself with any sort of religion,
    No In-n-Out burgers?... No Chick-fil-a ? Now you're talking crazy !!
    Hey Miraculous... Go Raiders ! .
    -Dad

  18. #68
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 7daysaweek's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,545
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Indeed, call it the FAT-2. Thank you. That's all I'm saying.

    Never forget true evil rarely appears as such, in any such obvious form.
    Then we'd be reading the same argument about fat people...

  19. #69
    check your six
    Reputation: sodak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,181
    It is simple. If you don't like/agree with something, don't buy it/watch it.

    OP, Your far fetched conclusion of "institutional discrimination" of an acronym to describe a Frame Alignment Gauge is absurd. Everyone in society seems to look for something that is discriminating or "not fair". Society needs to sack up and quit *****in so much over petty issues.
    "We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

  20. #70
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jackbombay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    667
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishbucket View Post
    What do you think Evil is fought with??
    Freedom.


  21. #71
    RTM
    RTM is online now
    #1 Latex Salesman
    Reputation: RTM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,823

    The Dark Side of Park Tools?

    I just bought a Park wheel truing stand called "ban guns, anti-abortion, impeach Obama, close the borders". I doubt they are making a statement. Probably didn't even notice that it could be offensive.


    - Rob

  22. #72
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    24,640
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishbucket View Post
    You crack me up.... What do you think Evil is fought with??



    No In-n-Out burgers?...
    They don't have bacon.

    If that's not the definition of true evil, I don't know what is.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  23. #73
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jacklikesbeans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    300
    Things I find interesting in this thread (Hope I can post random stupid thoughts in a thread so intellectually prepared)

    1. Human nature is a funny thing. The OP makes a stupid post and when confronted with it's stupidity he plays the role of a martyr.
    2. Anytime you have to begin a post with "I know I'm going to get flamed for this." That's your brain telling you it's probably stupid to post it.
    3. Everyone hates on the church for being biased but the OP sees a bible verse and is convinced this company is Nazi Germany.

  24. #74
    Certified Clyde
    Reputation: Lurch98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    90
    So many angry trolls on this board. Back to the beer forum where people are happy.

    Does anyone with half an ounce of common sense really think that a business religious enough to put a scripture in their advertisement would intentionally use a vulgar term on a tool for some kind of conspiracy theory statement? Ahead at full ludicrous speed sir, this thread has jumped the shark.
    - Cody

    This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time.

  25. #75
    Perpetual n00b
    Reputation: dgw2jr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,760
    I always thought Park Tool named the frame alignment gauge to get more bike shop employees to smoke more cigs...

    They are in cahootz with Phillip Morris! CONSPIRACY!
    The leg bone's connected to the Cash Bone!

  26. #76
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jacklikesbeans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    300
    Also, their wrenches are in the shape of a penis. The important question is why do they also hate women?

  27. #77
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fishbucket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    2,259
    Quote Originally Posted by jackbombay View Post
    Freedom.
    I had to stop and think about that for a min... then figured out what pic you were trying to post... Then I stopped thinking about it. ..


    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    They don't have bacon.

    If that's not the definition of true evil, I don't know what is.
    You DO have a very Valid point !

  28. #78
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jackbombay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    667
    Quote Originally Posted by jacklikesbeans View Post
    Also, their wrenches are in the shape of a penis. The important question is why do they also hate women?
    No, that means they like women, because women like penis.

  29. #79
    Formerly of Kent
    Reputation: Le Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,779
    I can't believe I opened this thread, and then read all 3+ pages.
    Death from Below.
    RLTW!

  30. #80
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Gasp4Air's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,769
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    I can't believe I opened this thread, and then read all 3+ pages.
    Same here. Can someone please change the subject to sex or politics?
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

  31. #81
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JoePAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,932
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    ...Any time a company makes a product, any product; it has to ask itself a simple question: “Shall we adorn said product with a vicious, hateful slur?” In Park’s case, the answer was “yes”.
    How about *** bearings.

    http://www.***.de/content.***.de/en/

    I realize the *** is German company, but hey...

    Frame Alignment Gage.. Hmm ***. Nothing wrong with that. Rather call it FAT Frame Aligment Tool? Then again is i gage or tool? Gages measure to tool move or hold. Does it align?
    Joe
    '12 Santa Cruz Highball 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", Fetish Fixation SS 26" XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

  32. #82
    No Stranger to danger....
    Reputation: Tone's's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    4,596
    Quote Originally Posted by jackbombay View Post
    No, that means they like women, because women like penis.
    Not all of them Jack, i know a few that hate them, or have grown to hate them from over exposure.....
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

  33. #83
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    18,531
    uhhhhh....that's all I have to say about that.

  34. #84
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    5,220
    I can't even justify this stretch of reality to post a reponse to this thread.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

  35. #85
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    5,220
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg View Post
    I can't even justify this stretch of reality to post a response to this thread.

    Oh crap.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

  36. #86
    High Desert MTBer
    Reputation: rockerc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4,850
    I just tried smoking my *** and it was quite nice... a little hard to keep going, but gave the lungs a good rasp. Maybe I'll start on the JustOneInternetNothingThread next...
    It's all Here. Now.

  37. #87
    Mountain Biking Madman
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    107
    I find it hard to believe that someone could actually think that they were initialing their tool to target fags.If it bothers you that much why don't you quit using their tools i'm sure it will devastate them when they notice their enormous sales loss you caused.And if anything what is wrong with a company having some morals I use park tools and have always liked their tools now I will have a extra encouragement when purchasing one.

  38. #88
    Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,877
    Quote Originally Posted by -sparky- View Post
    .And if anything what is wrong with a company having some morals I use park tools and have always liked their tools now I will have a extra encouragement when purchasing one.
    Tossing around bible quotes generally has very little to do with morals, my friend.
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

    And then we eat them."

  39. #89
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jackbombay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    667
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Not all of them Jack, i know a few that hate them, or have grown to hate them from over exposure.....
    Well yea, there are plenty of guys that hate pvssy too, but I was generalizing for the sake of brevity.

  40. #90
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    51
    I am certain you are on to something here.... the idea that a bike tool company would create a subliminal message to bicyclists everywhere.... so now a small handful of people, bonded by riding bicycles will be subliminally told that gays are bad mmmmkay.

    No, scratch that, I am becoming a fairly avid cyclist, and had NO idea such a tool even existed, so I'm to guess that a VERY small portion of the cycling population will get this message.


    Yeah, no... can't stretch that far.

  41. #91
    I ride with tools
    Reputation: Jim Beam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,347
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    I really want to believe you're right. I just can't escape the nagging suspicion that Park has been subtly subverting equality this whole time .
    Conspiracy theory much?

    Um, just how many f@gs do you think have been affected by this?




    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    As a professional, I will always chose the best tool for the job. In some cases, the Park Tool option is superior. Their new crown race puller is phenomenal. But when a non-Park alternative is available, I will chose it every time. Example: Their wheel dishing gauge is garbage.
    You're no professional. A pro knows when to keep his mouth shut.

    "Better to remain silent and be suspected a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt".

  42. #92
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,438
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Why? Most bible thumpers I know turned out to be hypocrites, think about your own experience.
    Everybody is a hypocrite. Nobody's perfect. People are hypocrites, Christianity is not. Learn the difference.

  43. #93
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,438
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    I personally have never trusted any body that feels the need to quote bible passages to get their point accross, and i wont buy from any company that affiliates itself with any sort of religion, nor will i eat any food or wear any clothes that are shaped through religious beliefs, a perfect example being Halal food here in OZ.

    I like this thread lol.
    I personally have never trusted anybody that isn't a Christian. I will choose to purchase a product from a Christian, or at least an ethical person, over somebody that isn't.

  44. #94
    I ride with tools
    Reputation: Jim Beam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,347
    I love how the OP has disappeared.

    And I love tools. In fact, check my custom user title: I ride with tools!

  45. #95
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    135
    I imagine something more along the lines of...

    One Monday morning at the Park Tool Headquarters

    John: We finished the new tool!
    George: Excellent, what's the acronym?
    John: Well, it's a Frame Alignment Guide, uh oh, we can't create this tool!
    George: Nonsense, why would be break habit, tradition, or lose money over something as naive as the initials on our tool.
    John: Good point, any mature adult would overlook this coincidental matter instead of cast hateful blame.

    Years later...

    Subject: The Dark Side of Park Tools?

  46. #96
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,438
    Ha! That's a good point. A tool that says "tool" on it could be offensive to tools. Just like "fat" could be offensive to fat people. Everything's offensive. Even "Park" could isolate those people that don't have one nearby. Nipples? Don't go there. Rubber? Promotes safe sex. What has this world become?

  47. #97
    High Desert MTBer
    Reputation: rockerc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4,850
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainbiker24 View Post
    I personally have never trusted anybody that isn't a Christian. I will choose to purchase a product from a Christian, or at least an ethical person, over somebody that isn't.
    So you accept that there can be ethical people that are not Christians? Then is it a stretch to assume that ethical people can be trustworthy too? Even when they are not Christians? I might suggest you think about what you write a little more carefully, then you might actually open your mind a little to the fact that not all good people are Christians, and not all Christians are good people... this thread is therefore pointless, but I think we knew that a long time ago!
    It's all Here. Now.

  48. #98
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,438
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    So you accept that there can be ethical people that are not Christians? Then is it a stretch to assume that ethical people can be trustworthy too? Even when they are not Christians? I might suggest you think about what you write a little more carefully, then you might actually open your mind a little to the fact that not all good people are Christians, and not all Christians are good people... this thread is therefore pointless, but I think we knew that a long time ago!
    1) I know a Christian is ethical. A true Christian, anyway.

    2) I obviously believe that not all good people are Christian, given that I just said that in the quote you quoted. Not that I need to justify anything to you, but I know I can trust a true Christian. I need to get to know a non-Christian before completely trusting them. I also need to get to know Christians before trusting them, too, since not all "Christians" are truly Christian. It's sort of like saying I prefer a doctor to give me medical advice over somebody that isn't, because the title is comforting, even though a non-doctor may be perfectly qualified.

    3) A Christian that isn't a good person isn't much of a Christian.

    4) If this thread was pointless, why are you posting here?

  49. #99
    High Desert MTBer
    Reputation: rockerc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4,850
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainbiker24 View Post
    1) I know a Christian is ethical. A true Christian, anyway.

    2) I obviously believe that not all good people are Christian, given that I just said I did. I know I can trust a true Christian. I need to get to know a non-Christian before completely trusting them. I also need to get to know Christians before trusting them, too, since not all "Christians" are truly Christian. It's sort of like saying I prefer a doctor to give me medical advice over somebody that isn't, because the title is comforting, even though a non-doctor may be perfectly qualified.

    3) A Christian that isn't a good person isn't much of a Christian.

    4) If this thread was pointless, why are you posting here?
    But can you now at least trust someone who is not Christian? Maybe... just a little?...? That would be a start! And it would also bring this thread into the realms of relevance if someone managed to change their behavior/belief for the better...
    It's all Here. Now.

  50. #100
    Bro
    Bro is offline
    Content from my avatar
    Reputation: Bro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,356
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasp4Air View Post
    Same here. Can someone please change the subject to sex or politics?
    Why not both?

    Sometimes, I question the value of my content.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. I visited the Dark Side
    By Salespunk in forum Ibis
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-08-2013, 02:31 PM
  2. Coming over to the Dark Side....
    By sambs827 in forum Specialized
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-21-2013, 01:52 PM
  3. THe dark side
    By philneuve in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-02-2011, 03:59 PM
  4. Going Back to the Dark Side
    By ZXFT in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 08-21-2011, 01:23 AM
  5. The Dark Side
    By Mini-Pro in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-25-2011, 01:41 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •