mtbr member

Cutting down a seat tube

deleted
    Last edited by ocguy2004; 03-23-2012 at 02:31 PM.

Plays with tools
    well it seams like it would work, The fear would be that you would then have problems with your post slipping. How much seat post do you have exposed when your at a proper saddle height? I'm inclined to think that your saddle can get plenty low and you just need to learn to ride around it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    well it seams like it would work, The fear would be that you would then have problems with your post slipping. How much seat post do you have exposed when your at a proper saddle height? I'm inclined to think that your saddle can get plenty low and you just need to learn to ride around it.
    I am using a command post (remote adjustable seat post) so it is inserted into the seat tube as far as it will go, so when the seat is in its lowest postion, it is against the seat tube. can i live with it...sure....but if i can get it lower i would like to. i can always buy a new frame but if lowering the seat tube height by 1/2" will give me a better ride, and not screw up the bike, i'd try that first. the way the adjustabloe post work is that the seat post gets inserted into the seat tube, then the ajustableportion slides up and down while the fixed post remains in the seat tube. this fix portion of the seat post is already fully inserted into the seat tube and is up against the seat tube so it can not be lower into the seat tube any farther. so it will not slide down...since it is already at it's lowest postion.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    If it is inserted to the proper height for your leg length now, and you lower it by 1/2" it is going to be half an inch too low when fully extended.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eMcK View Post
    If it is inserted to the proper height for your leg length now, and you lower it by 1/2" it is going to be half an inch too low when fully extended.
    no, not really...and i currently have a 4" seat dropper...i can't always get a 5" seat dropper plus, the mid-postion (there are 3 preset postions) would be at a better crusing height position.

Plays with tools
    Yes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    Yes
    yea...thanks for your help with this

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ocguy2004 View Post
    no, not really...and i currently have a 4" seat dropper...i can't always get a 5" seat dropper plus, the mid-postion (there are 3 preset postions) would be at a better crusing height position.
    I'm still confused. If a 4" post is at the right height when installed at its lowest point, you'll need an inch off the seat tube to make a 5" post work.

mtbr member
    I'm still confused. If a 4" post is at the right height when installed at its lowest point, you'll need an inch off the seat tube to make a 5" post work.
    it's not the upper postion i'm concerned with...losing 1/2" off the highest position is fine with me...even if i opted for the 5" post and raised 1/2" it'd still be fine for me. Even the lowest position is tollerable for me as is. i've been using it that way for 2yrs now. I've just found that in my steep descents, i'd prefer to be a little lower...even if it's only 1/2". My only concern is that somehow I'd screw up the integrity of the frame. i don't believe that is the case since it would not effect any of the welds or supports. i was hoping to come across someone who has done this already to find out if it's something i should pursue.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    So did you come online just to have someone tell you to go for it? You seem to be getting petty upset...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by j.m. View Post
    So did you come online just to have someone tell you to go for it? You seem to be getting petty upset...
    no..it's just that i remember when this site used to be helpful...as per my prior response, i was hoping to come across someone who already did this and would let me know it it was worth the effort or if there was something horribly wrong with attempting this. what i do find objectionable is someone answering for me who knows nothing about my riding, nothing about my bike, most likely nothing about anything. since there doesn't seem to be anyone in this particular forum that can provide help with this situation i'll just remove the post...