Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

Conceal Carry While Biking

A few months ago I ran into some sketchy characters while mountain biking. They were stopped in the middle of the trail on an uphill climb. A good place to catch someone riding at a slower pace and out of breath. Seemed sort of odd as they were wearing jeans, hoodies and smoking cigarettes. I tried to make some noise so that they would hear me and step to the side of the trail. They didn't move. I passed on the left side of the trail. One said "oh sorry man". I said "no problem" and continued to pedal. As soon as I was clear of them I glanced under my left arm pit and both guys were right there within arms reach off my back tire. My first thought was that they were going to club me with a limb and steal my stuff. I kicked down a few gears and took off. It sort of rattled me because I was by myself and it was getting close to dusk and my wife was waiting for me at the trail head. After that I decided that I would start packing a small pocket pistol if I was out by myself. I have a small pouch rigged up that I can clip to my camelback. It's pretty nondescript and looks like a camera pouch. I opted to mount it to my pack rather than my bike in case I had to leave the bike to go pee or was knocked off, I would still have it with me. I don't want to seem paranoid but it only takes once. Anyone else pack?

Stucco Bucket
    I dont know what is worse, the spam threads here or the monthly "packing heat" thread that always gets closed.
    I
    B
    T
    L

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I've packed before while mountain and road biking. Dog owners who refuse to believe that Fido actually chases people on bikes, snapping at them, were one reason. Sketchy characters in the middle of nowhere in the woods was another reason.

I dont know what is worse, the spam threads here or the monthly "packing heat" thread that always gets closed.
    It is a legitimate topic to talk about. The fact that people don't like it or get all riled up about it and post stuff that gets a thread locked doesn't make it any less legit.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dm1333
    It is a legitimate topic to talk about. The fact that people don't like it or get all riled up about it and post stuff that gets a thread locked doesn't make it any less legit.
    My thoughts, exactly. If you don't believe in your right to self defense, then keep your trap shut and go read some other thread.

That said, I have yet to carry while riding. I don't have the gear to have an easy-to-reach pistol on me while on a bike, and there's not much need for it on the trail around here.

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    I carry mace/pepper spray on the front camelback strap. Easy acess. I believe in self defense as well, but here in california defenders go to jail before perps..

Stucco Bucket
    Literally, this thread comes up once a month and gets deleted everytime.
    A gun in your pack is about as useful as carrying an empty gun and a pocket full of bullets.
    Any chance you have to draw your weapon from your pack, you might as well be running.
    I dont know about your state, but I wouldnt want to shoot someones dog because they are nipping at my heels. you will go to jail, (unlawful discharge, animal cruelty, extreme)you will probably have a civil suit.
    That said. I carry, loaded and in a manner where I can get it while pedaling

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Trails here in Florida are very public. I've never felt the need for protection before, but I don't begrudge anyone else their rights to pack heat.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by the_owl
    Literally, this thread comes up once a month and gets deleted everytime.
    A gun in your pack is about as useful as carrying an empty gun and a pocket full of bullets.
    Any chance you have to draw your weapon from your pack, you might as well be running.
    I dont know about your state, but I wouldnt want to shoot someones dog because they are nipping at my heels. you will go to jail, (unlawful discharge, animal cruelty, extreme)you will probably have a civil suit.
    That said. I carry, loaded and in a manner where I can get it while pedaling
    Yikes, what state do you live in that you can't protect yourself from an attacking animal?

<---dog lover btw, but I also believe that pets should be under control. Which is also the law in Florida. 6' leash.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    One of my uncles was treed by a small pack of wolves while hunting in a remote area. They decided to disengage after he blew one of them away. I suspect the same principle works on bipedal predators too.

Stucco Bucket
    Quote Originally Posted by bclagge
    Yikes, what state do you live in that you can't protect yourself from an attacking animal?

<---dog lover btw, but I also believe that pets should be under control. Which is also the law in Florida. 6' leash.
    The United States.
    You will probably win, but it will cost you a lot of money. Is that 50lb dog really endangering your life? or just going to cut your leg open.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    The United States.
    You will probably win, but it will cost you a lot of money. Is that 50lb dog really endangering your life? or just going to cut your leg open.
    That's phenomenal legal advice, sport . What I can do in TX would make me a criminal in NY. What I can do in AZ would make me a criminal in TX.

Stucco Bucket
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrwhlr
    That's phenomenal legal advice, sport . What I can do in TX would make me a criminal in NY. What I can do in AZ would make me a criminal in TX.
    glad you approve, Walker TX Ranger.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    The United States.
    Is that 50lb dog endangering my life? You know what, let's give him a chance and see. Oh, ok cool he just wants to rip my leg to shreds, I'll put my gun away and beat him off with my fists.

Barring your questionable logic, you're working off false information. If you don't think a 50lb dog can kill a human being, you don't know dogs.

nocturnal oblivion
    Why not mace? Or a tazer? Or stun gun?
    "...like sex with the trail." - Boe

Stucco Bucket
    Quote Originally Posted by bclagge
    Is that 50lb dog endangering my life? You know what, let's give him a chance and see. Oh, ok cool he just wants to rip my leg to shreds, I'll put my gun away and beat him off with my fists.

Barring your questionable logic, you're working off false information. If you don't think a 50lb dog can kill a human being, you don't know dogs.
    Would you use your logic for a person? If so, you shouldnt ever own a gun.
    The original "shooting a dog" response came from this:

I've packed before while mountain and road biking. Dog owners who refuse to believe that Fido actually chases people on bikes, snapping at them, were one reason. Sketchy characters in the middle of nowhere in the woods was another reason.
    Snipping at your heels?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by stumblemumble
    If by mace, you mean a stick with a spiked metal ball on the end, yeah that would work too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stumblemumble
    Mace is a pretty good idea. Some of that stuff is really wicked. It's a lot smaller than a gun and won't cause a fuss if someone sees it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Would you use your logic for a person? If so, you shouldnt ever own a gun.
    The original "shooting a dog" response came from this:

Snipping at your heels?
    Fair enough, I got off the original anecdote.

bike rider
    Why do you need a gun to defend yourself? Can't you use your fists, or a stick like you suspected they were going to? I understand that if they have a gun you need one too but what if no one had guns?
    Keep the Country country.

Stucco Bucket
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt
    Why do you need a gun to defend yourself? Can't you use your fists, or a stick like you suspected they were going to? I understand that if they have a gun you need one too but what if no one had guns?
    Then it would be a fairy tale.
    When people go into supermarkets, campuses, gyms and malls and shoot at people, you cant use fists to defend yourself.

What do I possibly have to be paranoid about?

Pedaler of dirt
    Then it would be a fairy tale.
    When people go into supermarkets, campuses, gyms and malls and shoot at people, you cant use fists to defend yourself.

What do I possibly have to be paranoid about?
    That fairy tale would be the rest of the first world countries outside of the paranoid U.S. of Arms.

But, I have to agree that at this point in time I don't see any way the US can be gun free. And it's a very sad state of affairs when a rider has to consider wearing a gun to go mountain bike. Not much 'Freedom' there.
    It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    How about if I change my statement to something along the lines of "Dog owners who don't believe that Fido charges people and bites at them. Or that their dog will chase somebody on a bike for blocks, distracting the rider from things like cars and pedestrians. Or that their beloved little guard dogs will charge across a creek in a pack and chase mountain bikers down county and state roads, causing them to fear for their safety?"

Where I live the county is pretty strict about leash laws and keeping your pets under control. Just about every time I have had a dog chase me while I'm on a public road I've called the cops. I've also pepper sprayed several dogs and then called the cops. Luckily pepper spray has worked, so far.

edit: just for the record, my original wording was "snapping", not "snipping". If a dog is growling, barking and snapping at me you can be pretty darn sure I'm worried about being hurt. If I could I would pack Cesar Milan around all the time to take care of these problems but he weighs a heck of a lot more than a gun.

ride the moment
    You certainly have the right to carry in most places as long as you follow the rules. THat being said, if you can't get it out and be ready to shoot in less than a second it's not going to do f@ck for you. Furthermore, training to be on the defense is serious business. Winning a fight for your life requires many many hours of training. You can't just throw a few rounds at paper targets and call it good. In the situation you described, it's likely that by the time you got your weapon out it would have been a hand-to-hand fight, in which case you're likely to have your gun taken from you unless you have trained right. If you want to protect yourself that's your right, but it's not as easy as buying a tool, you have to be able to really use it.
    Just because you read a book it don't make you conscious. - MC Lush

I build my own.
    I don't usually get in on these but I have a question.

Does anybody know of anyone who has used a gun (hand gun) while mountain biking?

I've been riding for over 40 years in every environment possible and I've never felt that a hand gun would have been useful in any situation I've been in so I don't carry one. I don't carry a frying pan while riding either.

I know this thread won't last long so if anyone has a story where a hand gun was used while mountain biking, answer quick or PM me.
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

Stucco Bucket
    Dogbrain youre right on all counts. Thats my point about shooting at a dog. using a gun should be a last resort when there is no other choice. It does require quite a bit of training to effectively use a gun under adrenaline situations. For me, I wouldnt drive a car without fully knowing how to operate it. I feel that way about firearms too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja
    I don't usually get in on these but I have a question.

Does anybody know of anyone who has used a gun (hand gun) while mountain biking?

I've been riding for over 40 years in every environment possible and I've never felt that a hand gun would have been useful in any situation I've been in so I don't carry one. I don't carry a frying pan while riding either.

I know this thread won't last long so if anyone has a story where a hand gun was used while mountain biking, answer quick or PM me.

I have never used a handgun while riding. I have also never needed the space blanket tucked in the bottom of my camelbak. But I dont plan on removing it because of that.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast