Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dwt View Post
    All carbon fiber frames are made in China.
    That's not true. I know Trek still makes their OCLV frames in the United States.

And I'll add that according to Trek's website, they have 4 different grades of carbon fiber frames. The three highest grades are all OCLV and made in the US. Then they have the lower grade which they describe as "value-orientated" and that is made in Asia. Clearly there's more to a CF frame than just the fact that it's a CF frame.
    Last edited by trailville; 02-22-2012 at 12:47 PM.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Quote Originally Posted by trailville View Post
    That's not true. I know Trek still makes their OCLV frames in the United States.

And I'll add that according to Trek's website, they have 4 different grades of carbon fiber frames. The three highest grades are all OCLV and made in the US. Then they have the lower grade which they describe as "value-orientated" and that is made in Asia. Clearly there's more to a CF frame than just the fact that it's a CF frame.
    I want my carbon made overseas in Asia...don't care if it is a Colnago or Trek. They do it best.

There is absolutely no reason Trek does carbon in the USA other than to say it is made in the USA and perhaps help the local economy

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rydbyk View Post
    I want my carbon made overseas in Asia...don't care if it is a Colnago or Trek. They do it best.

There is absolutely no reason Trek does carbon in the USA other than to say it is made in the USA and perhaps help the local economy

Heavens forbid we do something to help our economy.

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Heavens forbid we do something to help our economy.
    You don't actually think Trek has decided to make their high end frames in the USA to "help our economy" do you? That is laughable in my opinion..

My guess is that it is pure marketing...which seems to appeal to some...

That was my point in case you missed it.

There is hypocrisy in your comment IF you own a single item that was made overseas that could have been purchased from an American manufacturer btw..

mtbr member
    FYI to carry the Made in the USA Label it only has to be 60 percent made here, Kind of BS labeling IMO.

Edit: apparently the percentage I read was about motorcycles, it varies per product.

‘Made in America’ rules are confusing - Business - US business - Made in America - msnbc.com

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Quote Originally Posted by Blurr View Post
    FYI to carry the Made in the USA Label it only has to be 60 percent made here, I have no Idea how they determine that but it is what it is, Kind of BS labeling IMO.
    Yes...I read an article about this. It is not even 60% "made"...more like 60% of the "cost" to "make" the frame complete and ready to sell.....aka a fancy paint job done in the USA only = "made in USA" or made in Germany etc etc label..

dwt
    mtbr member
    Uhmmmm, your both acting like kids but I believe you started the poo flinging. Just sayin.
    But MOMMMM!

Flloyd flung:

"Never any shortage of people to purchase the cheapest possibble crap and then trumpet what a great deal it was and how anyone that bought anything better is a sucker."

And I replied:

"Conversely, no shortage of freds and barneys who buy the most expensive, most up-to-the-minute, most over hyped, most heavily marketed, and most over priced bling, and look down their noses at folks who can't afford it and buy cheaper equivalents - - oh, and still kick their asses."

Who flung the first turd? Just sayin'
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

AZ
    banned
    You don't actually think Trek has decided to make their high end frames in the USA to "help our economy" do you? That is laughable in my opinion..

My guess is that it is pure marketing...which seems to appeal to some...

That was my point in case you missed it.

There is hypocrisy in your comment IF you own a single item that was made overseas that could have been purchased from an American manufacturer btw..

Broad, sweeping assumptions on your part. Do not even suggest that I am a hypocrite thank you.

dwt
    mtbr member

I want the best value. There is no free lunch, but I'll take my risk with the NON-STOLEN chinese frame for $300 rather than the one that says "Specialized" and costs $3000

Though I MAY make an exception for a Scott Genius 650b when it comes out

banned
    I want the best value. There is no free lunch, but I'll take my risk with the NON-STOLEN chinese frame for $300 rather than the one that says "Specialized" and costs $3000

How do yo know it was not "stolen" and why are you drawing comparisons to "Specialized"? Your making assumptions about the source and you really don't know the source. Your continued inclusion of name brands in this discussion only make you look the fool IMO. I'm glad you like your frame but your motives are suspect at best.

AZ
    banned
    But MOMMMM!

Flloyd flung:

"Never any shortage of people to purchase the cheapest possibble crap and then trumpet what a great deal it was and how anyone that bought anything better is a sucker."

And I replied:

"Conversely, no shortage of freds and barneys who buy the most expensive, most up-to-the-minute, most over hyped, most heavily marketed, and most over priced bling, and look down their noses at folks who can't afford it and buy cheaper equivalents - - oh, and still kick their asses."

Who flung the first turd? Just sayin'

Nice, arguing about who is more wrong. Your both acting like tools IMHO.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I'm sure the "Made in USA" is part of it, but part of it may be in maintaining quality control (high-end frames tend to be so light and thin that they can't afford to have any quality issues) and part of it may be that they don't want to risk sharing their techniques, tooling, knowledge with a 3rd party manufacturer that may then start selling "same as" frames on the internet.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

dwt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by roadie scum View Post
    How do yo know it was not "stolen" and why are you drawing comparisons to "Specialized"? Your making assumptions about the source and you really don't know the source. Your continued inclusion of name brands in this discussion only make you look the fool IMO. I'm glad you like your frame but your motives are suspect at best.
    Redmr2__man posted up his frame. Tell us who it was ripped off from. If nobody then who is the fool?

banned
    Redmr2__man posted up his frame. Tell us who it was ripped off from. If nobody then who is the fool?

You avoid answering by asking.

mnoutain bkie rdier
    AZ..thank you for being the moderator here. Totally unnecessary btw. You call people out for name calling/arguing and then proceed to call them "tools".

Yes. That is a hypocrite.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Good, then it's finally settled. Apparently, The Chinese Carbon Frames ARE NOT THE SAME as those you buy from the major brands.
    So what was the point of this thread?

AZ
    banned
    AZ..thank you for being the moderator here. Totally unnecessary btw. You call people out for name calling/arguing and then proceed to call them "tools".

Thanks.

No, I posted that they were both acting like tools. Big difference. You take it however you perceive your world by the way. I respect your right to not agree with me but calling me a hypocrite just points to your shortcomings with the written word and the comprehension of its context.

banned

Thanks.

Really? That's not how I read that.

mnoutain bkie rdier
    No, I posted that they were both acting like tools. Big difference. You take it however you perceive your world by the way. I respect your right to not agree with me but calling me a hypocrite just points to your shortcomings with the written word and the comprehension of its context.
    Jab jab... I do ok coach..

AZ
    banned
    Jab jab... I do ok coach..

Your right, that was a bit out of line. My sincerest apologies.

"2 Wycked"
    Ahhhh...Ahhhh....it's the hammy, it's the hammy!!

Beer Me!
    This thread is now:

Axe
    Custom User Title

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    You might care if the break is catastrophic in nature and causes you injury
    That happens to all frames. Overdesigned superlight ones in particular.

R.I.P. Pugsley.
    Cool pissing match...

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast