Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    banned
    Apr 2009

Carry a gun while riding (Everyone should read this!)

Here is my take (and I have been saying this for the last 5 years of riding trails in the woods and keep seeing threads about pros and cons of this..... So here is what everyone of those should read, my opinion.)

I always wondered why more crime does not happen on the trails. Here in South East Pa. from riding in Philly area and Central Pa. the cities have more video cameras than everywhere (Lancaster Pa., Amish Country has more cameras than anywhere in the Country for a small city!!) This article I read in the L.A.Times about that:

Lancaster, Pa., keeps a close eye on itself - Los Angeles Times

And this is an old article (I saw on the news they now have Double the camera's they put up then!!)---also that is a Huge tourist area and outside the city they have more stores and restaurants (and Outlet Malls) than anywhere!! and all those places have serious camera monitoring... you drive down route 30 through Lancaster and see cameras on every traffic light there!

No one ever gets away with any crime there (which is good)---but I always thought why the fools do not do more crime there IN THE WOODS, On Trails who have no cameras there!! (but just saw in that area that something bad did happen)---these 2 fools took this girl at the Wildlife Preserve there and burned her (killing her after stabbing her)--then came back for the body a second time!?!?!?!

Court Document: Men set victim on fire in Lancaster County woods | Lancaster News - WGAL Home

In Philly you got 'flash mobs', gang members who hang out in Fairmount Park at THE WISS trails (where I ride) and crack heads and violent vagrants up the street at the Belmont Trails...

Outside of Philly this guy on a bike trail got attacked (was carrying and killed one teen---these kids are crazy violent now and have zero respect for human life!!) so I know he was glad he was carrying then..

Boys Attack Cyclist Who Fights Back, Kills 1: Cops | NBC 10 Philadelphia

here is another crazy violent crime on the trail there:

2nd suspect surrenders in Berks bike path killing - Morning Call

----------------------So I would tell everyone carry something (pepper spray, knife, whatever you think you can handle and is appropriate for the area....)-----I know me, If I rode with Bears I would carry a gun (forget the pepper spray)----it is life and death at that point!! me, I like riding (and don't want to end up in a wheelchair because some fools broke my neck (stole my bike) and left me for dead....

So I have NO Problem with folks having whatever they think is necessary... Because I have seen some **** on the trails also (and know no Rangers go out to check on anything that I have seen at certain places.....)

So basically with no cameras (various entry points, etc...) I always thought the criminals would take advantage of this (and they certainly have in my area....) Also I know a lot of crimes in those areas DO NOT go reported if Rangers even find out (to make the area less attractive to people..... like Colleges do with keeping violent behavior from the general public newspapers....)

I eat cats
    Ohhhh boy..

Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    You see, I don't have a single brand name in my signature because I know most bike brands and component brands 99%.

banned
    Apr 2009
    Yeah I just went there (get tired of seeing the responses about clueless folks who think the trials are all safe haven places.... cause that ain't true, and I have seen some crazy violent behavior at the Big trails here, like French Creek!!!)

I just know you would not want to take your family and run into some of these crazy vagrants I have seen living on trails in Central Pa... I have even told the rangers about it when I have seen them and they know the homeless folks stay there (one time someone was throwing rocks at his supermarket basket he had blocking the road to his tent..) Guess they don't get involved unless they get violent toward folks...

but all it takes is one of them smoking something they can get there hands on and then get into a violent rage (and I know if you had your family at the park, in the woods, you would then wish you were prepared!!!)---that is my 2 cents..... cause not everyone rides trails in Colorado (or some famous trails system where crime like this is non existent...)

p.s. that video is Hella funny!!!! but I know folks will respond to this....

duh
    must be winter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    the big aussie rep bomb is comin your way

mtbr member
    This thread will get locked but what the hell... why on earth would I want to carry a big hunk of metal with me when I ride? What am I protecting myself from? Someone who wants my bike? My cell phone? My money? ****... they can have it. They want my life? What is their motivation?

Maybe there are more crazy people where you live. For me it's a non-issue and one I won't even entertain because it is just plain silly.

And I own guns.

banned
    Apr 2009
    must be winter----don't get it??

---but again I tell everyone to come to my part of the Country (then their views on this might change..)

Mike Tyson said it best, "Everyone has a plan until they get punched hard in the mouth!"

--just saying views change quickly when standing (or riding) in someone else's shoes.

and I am certain when folks ask this question here that they have seen things on some trails (that are not rated P.G.) like a lot of folks ride (and probably keep there doors unlocked even)------AND I won't get started about the Professional Car Thieves at THE WISS in Philly who ravage all the cars there (when not parking at the 2 safe lots...)

AZ
    banned
    Dude, we really don't need another thread.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 247 View Post
    Here is my take (and I have been saying this for the last 5 years of riding trails in the woods and keep seeing threads about pros and cons of this..... So here is what everyone of those should read, my opinion.)

I always wondered why more crime does not happen on the trails. Here in South East Pa. from riding in Philly area and Central Pa. the cities have more video cameras than everywhere (Lancaster Pa., Amish Country has more cameras than anywhere in the Country for a small city!!) This article I read in the L.A.Times about that:

Lancaster, Pa., keeps a close eye on itself - Los Angeles Times

And this is an old article (I saw on the news they now have Double the camera's they put up then!!)---also that is a Huge tourist area and outside the city they have more stores and restaurants (and Outlet Malls) than anywhere!! and all those places have serious camera monitoring... you drive down route 30 through Lancaster and see cameras on every traffic light there!

No one ever gets away with any crime there (which is good)---but I always thought why the fools do not do more crime there IN THE WOODS, On Trails who have no cameras there!! (but just saw in that area that something bad did happen)---these 2 fools took this girl at the Wildlife Preserve there and burned her (killing her after stabbing her)--then came back for the body a second time!?!?!?!

Court Document: Men set victim on fire in Lancaster County woods | Lancaster News - WGAL Home

In Philly you got 'flash mobs', gang members who hang out in Fairmount Park at THE WISS trails (where I ride) and crack heads and violent vagrants up the street at the Belmont Trails...

Outside of Philly this guy on a bike trail got attacked (was carrying and killed one teen---these kids are crazy violent now and have zero respect for human life!!) so I know he was glad he was carrying then..

Boys Attack Cyclist Who Fights Back, Kills 1: Cops | NBC 10 Philadelphia

here is another crazy violent crime on the trail there:

2nd suspect surrenders in Berks bike path killing - Morning Call

----------------------So I would tell everyone carry something (pepper spray, knife, whatever you think you can handle and is appropriate for the area....)-----I know me, If I rode with Bears I would carry a gun (forget the pepper spray)----it is life and death at that point!! me, I like riding (and don't want to end up in a wheelchair because some fools broke my neck (stole my bike) and left me for dead....

So I have NO Problem with folks having whatever they think is necessary... Because I have seen some **** on the trails also (and know no Rangers go out to check on anything that I have seen at certain places.....)

So basically with no cameras (various entry points, etc...) I always thought the criminals would take advantage of this (and they certainly have in my area....) Also I know a lot of crimes in those areas DO NOT go reported if Rangers even find out (to make the area less attractive to people..... like Colleges do with keeping violent behavior from the general public newspapers....)
    Maybe you should give up mountain biking and take up dirtbike riding and moonshinging... or nascar racin'

mtbr member
    This will get political in 3... 2... 1...

(I am a card carrying, CCW/CHL citizen)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hokiebrett View Post
    This will get political in 3... 2... 1...

(I am a card carrying, CCW/CHL citizen)
    OBAMA!!!

(I'm a gun ownin', law abidin'/opinionated citizen)

banned
    Apr 2009
    I am just saying that things ARE DIFFERENT in certain areas in the Country.. I DO NOT carry an gun when I ride (I do carry pepper spray and a nice SWAT knife in my saddle bag)----I am just showing people that this can help save your life, and showing them that this is the case!!!

it's funny, People call me a 'tree hugger', and now I am NOT trying to say that here to folks who are against this---I am just saying Whatever works for you (and has you feel safe) then do it (if it is legal)---but get tired that 95% of the responses I see are soo biased (AND I AM SHUTTING UP NOW)--

--Hear that Moderators (I am shutting up now)-----not trying to get this closed.. I KNOW MTBR is Not a 1st Amendment site (with certain things)---I said my peace and THAT IS THAT!!!

-debate amongst yourself (cause I do have a record of getting threads shut down)---and AM NOT contributing to this...

I AM JUST SAYING that EVEN IN AMISH COUNTRY Pa. (That is a HUGE High Crime Area)--and even the trials up the street FROM AMISH COUNTRY have HUGE issues!!!

p.s. and put that in BOLD just so everyone reads it clearly!!

and 'AZ' Yes you did need another thread (cause I wanted everyone to read this to see this stuff, Life and Death, is happening on the trails!!)---maybe not in your area (but in other places in the Country, like Hella Violent Amish Country, it does happen...) And I AM DONE--------Said my peace (and documented it also)-----can anyone say that who bashes me (not just give your snobby opinion)-----LATER---

banned
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by sandiego View Post
    OBAMA!!!

(I'm a gun ownin', law abidin'/opinionated citizen)

Banhammer please.

Big Mac

Stupidest, gayest post of the day. Op, you're a dork, at best.

mtbr member
    nm...

banned
    Apr 2009
    mbm65, you look like the dork (at best) with that pic there I am looking at!!

--and Moderators, that is my last posts (cause I know the 'small penis', I mean small mind crowd is gonna let me have it!!)----

p.s. This dude looks like the Stupidest (gayest, in HIS WORDS to me) dude..
    maybe he is asking me for a date??

--Sorry guys, I do see this one headed for Shut Down (and I am Not responding anymore!!!)

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Here's a pic of my gun collection and I carry at least one with me at all times.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    [B] (AND I AM SHUTTING UP NOW)--............

--Hear that Moderators (I am shutting up now)-----not trying to get this closed.. I KNOW MTBR is Not a 1st Amendment site (with certain things)---I said my peace and THAT IS THAT!!!.............

-debate amongst yourself (cause I do have a record of getting threads shut down)---and AM NOT contributing to this...
    And I AM DONE--------Said my peace (and documented it also)-----can anyone say that who bashes me (not just give your snobby opinion)-----LATER---

--and Moderators, that is my last posts .............(and I am Not responding anymore!!!)
    Did you spill coffee on your keyboard? Because it looks like your "I'm not going to post anymore" key is stuck. Also, your "preemptively set up weak arguments against your (dubious?) point and refute them in the same post to notch up a hollow victory" key is stuck as well. The one thing you didn't mention is how long we have to buy guns before the amish bike stealing mafia spreads out to the mountain timezone. Alas, being a person of such strong conviction, you will never look at this thread again so I'm afraid this constructive criticism will go to waste. Nonetheless, thank you for this mildly entertaining troll.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by floydlippencott View Post
    Banhammer please.
    If only.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Yeah I just went there (get tired of seeing the responses about clueless folks who think the trials are all safe haven places....
    As long as you know how to absorb the impact and practice balance, trials is plenty safe. Just wear the protective gear.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Okay, so that was funny. And it devolved pretty quick. However, I think the topic is legitimate and I would like to actually discuss it seriously.

I have been riding for a week. I mostly only ride on the road. But I hike. Avidly. When I hike, I never feel in danger. But things do happen. One thing is for sure, statistically, you are MUCH more likely to be injured by falling or doing something stupid or the weather than by any other living creature, human or animal.

One of the city bike trails in my area is poorly lit and passes through a bad side of town that is known for drive by shootings. The town is Muskogee, OK, which has consistently ranked in the top most dangerous cities in the U.S. Seriously, I have literally feared for my life when I was in certain parts of town. Now, obviously it is my choice whether to frequent these areas.

But let's say that I don't want to "let them scare me." Let's say that I want to "make a stand" and show the gangbangers that this trail is being reclaimed. What can I do? I think invoking my right as a CCL holder is actually appropriate in this case. It would be a pain in the butt, however, and I have never done it. But that doesn't mean that it is off the table.

As for crime on the trail... well... It definitely happens, but I choose to believe in the overall decency of human beings. Plus, I would just give whoever it was, whatever they wanted. In the off chance that I became one of the 0.001 percent (if that) of people that die in violent crimes? Well, at least I died doing something that I enjoyed. Or used the self defense training to take care of the situation.

In my opinion, carrying a weapon is a privilege and responsibility and when I am on the trail, I don't want any of the latter. I'm there for fun.

Besides... I think that the criminals who are willing to hike 15 miles out after driving to a middle-of-nowhere trailhead are likely to be a very tiny fraction of a percentage of all the criminals in the world. I'll take my chances.

But as for the CC in a dangerous part of the city... well, that might be a whole 'nother story.

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    OP, why do you think you're special enough that you need a whole thread for yourself about this topic? There's another carrying while riding thread in General, just a spot or two above where this one is. Go do your thing in there.
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Its still a free country... If you want to carry a firearm go for it.

~*~*~*~*~
    All of the capital letters, the bolding, the dashes, exclamation points and brackets have made me very frightened.

mtbr member
    May 2012

duh
    Quote Originally Posted by sandiego View Post
    This thread will get locked but what the hell... why on earth would I want to carry a big hunk of metal with me when I ride? What am I protecting myself from? Someone who wants my bike? My cell phone? My money? ****... they can have it. They want my life? What is their motivation?

Maybe there are more crazy people where you live. For me it's a non-issue and one I won't even entertain because it is just plain silly.

And I own guns.
    There is a reason why most of these threads get binned.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    the big aussie rep bomb is comin your way

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast