Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    banned
    Jan 2014
    Do we need two threads on the same topic at the top of the page? Maybe they can be combined.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OKbkr View Post
    Okay, so that was funny. And it devolved pretty quick. However, I think the topic is legitimate and I would like to actually discuss it seriously.

I have been riding for a week. I mostly only ride on the road. But I hike. Avidly. When I hike, I never feel in danger. But things do happen. One thing is for sure, statistically, you are MUCH more likely to be injured by falling or doing something stupid or the weather than by any other living creature, human or animal.

One of the city bike trails in my area is poorly lit and passes through a bad side of town that is known for drive by shootings. The town is Muskogee, OK, which has consistently ranked in the top most dangerous cities in the U.S. Seriously, I have literally feared for my life when I was in certain parts of town. Now, obviously it is my choice whether to frequent these areas.

But let's say that I don't want to "let them scare me." Let's say that I want to "make a stand" and show the gangbangers that this trail is being reclaimed. What can I do? I think invoking my right as a CCL holder is actually appropriate in this case. It would be a pain in the butt, however, and I have never done it. But that doesn't mean that it is off the table.

As for crime on the trail... well... It definitely happens, but I choose to believe in the overall decency of human beings. Plus, I would just give whoever it was, whatever they wanted. In the off chance that I became one of the 0.001 percent (if that) of people that die in violent crimes? Well, at least I died doing something that I enjoyed. Or used the self defense training to take care of the situation.

In my opinion, carrying a weapon is a privilege and responsibility and when I am on the trail, I don't want any of the latter. I'm there for fun.

Besides... I think that the criminals who are willing to hike 15 miles out after driving to a middle-of-nowhere trailhead are likely to be a very tiny fraction of a percentage of all the criminals in the world. I'll take my chances.

But as for the CC in a dangerous part of the city... well, that might be a whole 'nother story.
    Same here.

I'm sure these two idiots both thought they were in the right.
    Josh Sugarmann: Rude Awakening: Two CCW Holders Kill One Another

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sandiego View Post
    Same here.

I'm sure these two idiots both thought they were in the right.
    Josh Sugarmann: Rude Awakening: Two CCW Holders Kill One Another
    This is the best example that gun actually save live!

You make me so proud of living up noth, It's geating crazy down there.

banned
    Apr 2009
    that is why I don't carry when I ride.. short fuse........

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Re: Carry a gun while riding (Everyone should read this!)

Quote Originally Posted by 247 View Post
    short fuse........
    Short memory too? I thought you were adamant about being done with this topic, informing everyone like 20 times. I'm sorry to say that I don't think I can take you seriously anymore. My search continues for an Internet blowhard who doesn't paint themselves into corners.

I didn't do it
    I wish I hadn't read this.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Oh no, not another thread asking about shoes, we had one of those twelve years ago, no need to discuss it again! Lets just lock the entire forum up going by that logic.

mtbr member
    What do you need shoes for? What are you afraid of? People who insist on riding with shoes scare the crap out of me. Bunch of wannabe heroes.

I didn't do it
    Hey shoes are OK. Shoes never hurt anyone. Shoes don't kill people, people kill people.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumbi4Prez View Post
    Do we need two threads on the same topic at the top of the page? Maybe they can be combined.
    This could be said for 99% of the threads in General going back 15 years. There's only so many bike related topics to talk about. I say let them ride as individual threads. When the mods combine threads all it does is cause complete chaos followed by a surge in psychiatric counseling.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^^^Rock Garden

banned
    Apr 2009
    Short memory too? I thought you were adamant about being done with this topic, informing everyone like 20 times. I'm sorry to say that I don't think I can take you seriously anymore. My search continues for an Internet blowhard who doesn't paint themselves into corners.
    You know what (I try to not respond to asssholles who like to attack me after I have written a Thoughtful, Well Documented, and more than Truthful post!!---again it is my opinion but somehow I say things the 'regulars' on here do not like.. then they attack me (so yes I do respond, but mostly try not to)----but when someone like you calls me a blowhard then yeah, I do respond!!--I know the Mods do not like that cause they close things down (but fuk it, 1st amendment does say I can have my own opinion---because I DO NOT call folks Blowhards, etc...)

---So to all the Haters on MTBR everytime I post (instead of calling someone a troll, or whatever)---Man Up, just read someone else's opinion that may differ from yours (and grow up!)

All you folks do is start name calling 247... but I expect that from these regulars on MTBR..... but who cares (besides the Mods who have to shut these down)-----I am just expressing my opinion (until MTBR gets all North Korea on me and shuts me down on this site)----AND THAT is what all you fools should really be concerned with!!!! 247...

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Terp View Post

You know what (I try to not respond to asssholles who like to attack me after I have written a Thoughtful, Well Documented, and more than Truthful post!!---again it is my opinion but somehow I say things the 'regulars' on here do not like.. then they attack me (so yes I do respond, but mostly try not to)----but when someone like you calls me a blowhard then yeah, I do respond!!--I know the Mods do not like that cause they close things down (but fuk it, 1st amendment does say I can have my own opinion---because I DO NOT call folks Blowhards, etc...)

---So to all the Haters on MTBR everytime I post (instead of calling someone a troll, or whatever)---Man Up, just read someone else's opinion that may differ from yours (and grow up!)

All you folks do is start name calling 247... but I expect that from these regulars on MTBR..... but who cares (besides the Mods who have to shut these down)-----I am just expressing my opinion (until MTBR gets all North Korea on me and shuts me down on this site)----AND THAT is what all you fools should really be concerned with!!!! 247...
    Huh?
    WTF did I miss, I walked to the kitchen and back and all hell broke lose.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^^^Rock Garden

banned
    Apr 2009
    -----that's hilarious

mtbr member
    I have seen some crazy violent behavior at the Big trails like French Creek!!!)
    Car to elaborate? I have been riding there for 15 years and have never seen anything. just curious.
    2013 Specialized Camber Comp
    2013 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp

mtbr member

mtbr member
    I wonder what the international members of this forum think when they read all this stuff?

If it's really that dangerous, you guys should be movin' somewhere safe - Somalia maybe?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pharmaboy View Post
    I wonder what the international members of this forum think when they read all this stuff?

If it's really that dangerous, you guys should be movin' somewhere safe - Somalia maybe?
    We laugh our a$$es off at these threads. They are funny.

Trouser Malfunction
    ...uhh learn to focus on the positive.

Stay off the internet though. Because that'll mess you up sideways.
    I like Sand -- I don't like Witches.

the half breed devil
    i ride in san francisco's golden gate park at night sometimes. i've seen some creepy-meth-y cretins (and their aggressive, untrained, unleashed dogs) in the park after 8:00pm. i've considered carrying pepper spray but never a gun.

the legal consequences of blasting mister meth-teeth in the face with Sabre Spray...or shooting him anywhere are much different...even if "he was coming right at me'...

on a last, mean-spirited thought...one day, i hope that the parks department puts pepper spray in the sprinklers to roust the gutter punks who camp on the trails...

Big Mac

Carry a gun while riding (Everyone should read this!)

mbm65, you look like the dork (at best) with that pic there I am looking at!!

p.s. This dude looks like the Stupidest (gayest, in HIS WORDS to me) dude..
    maybe he is asking me for a date??
    No way dude! I'd never date such a dork. Gah!!

mtbr member

I don't know about the rest of you but this is what keeps me up at night.

sympathy for society

Whoa there bud.. First off, you knew there were many "anti-gun" supporters here on MTBR. So don't get mad when there are opposing views of yours either. If you keep it civil, calm, and focused anyone can have a conversation. But, this thread immediately comes off hostile and aggressive, and you wonder why you get hostile and aggressive responses?

TO me, as soon as either side of any debate results to insults they both lose all credibility to me. WE are a people where anger and stubbornness gets in the way of facts and common sense.
    "We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Mat be the question you should ask yourself (american) Is: Why do you have to fear that much will riding on the forest, our even just walking on the street?? What is wrong with your country?

There must be a really profound society probleme down there. Any chance it's the free capitalism? Anything for money, me, myself, and I atitude?

You really thing it normal to fear riding in the forest? Except for animal maybe...

Armature speller
    Sep 2004

Re: Carry a gun while riding (Everyone should read this!)

Quote Originally Posted by lapinGTI View Post
    You really thing it normal to fear riding in the forest? Except for animal maybe...
    Look what happened to Little Red when she went Riding in the Hood without a CCW.

mtbr member
    Incidents happen every day, in any given country. The odds are always in your favor considering the sheer numbers/percentages, until your number comes up.

I realize some here will take issue considering the source, but these are all documented cases, and only a tiny fraction of all that occur, whether for better or worse.

Make a mockery of differing opinions, mentalities, and cliche' sayings as you will, but there are plenty of actual scenarios where people were most certainly glad to have such a tool at their disposal.

NRA-ILA | Armed Citizen

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast