Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Build Advice

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Build Advice

Soo I purchased a shitty Walmart bicycle from a pawn shop just to commute to work but theres an awesome park that I hit up on occasion that is very close. Needless to say my bike wore out very quickly and is unfit for those trails..I have been keeping a close eye on a specialized hardrock comp that has been sitting in the bike rack of my apartment. Its been unlocked, back wheel is bent to ****, both tires are flat and pedals wont move.

The other day I locked the bike to my other bicycles and wrote a note with my number to call me if thats anyones bike..no call yet

*Okay on to the point of this thread*

Im going to strip the bike down to the frame and build from there. I looked at the review on this website and everyone says the best part of the bike is the frame so I dont think I can go wrong.

Ive never built a bike like this and am unfamiliar with components. Can you guys please reccomend some quality components that are still affordable (middle of the road, dont need top of the line)

Thanks!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    So... you're stealing a bike and want to know how to build it up?
    2009 Access 9.5 29er
    2010 Diamondback Insight RS (700c hybrid)
    Velorazzo frame build (26)

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by hardwarz View Post
    So... you're stealing a bike and want to know how to build it up?

Its kinda like when you find money, you post up flyers and if no one claims it after a month its yours.

mtbr member
    This thread has the potential to be epic. I can sense it...

Conor, how long are you going to wait until the overhaul begins? What happens if you sink some cash into it and the owner turns up asking WTF???
    Contact information: http://about.me/marpilli

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by ConorKwin View Post
    I dont think I can go wrong.
    Actually, you can go wrong. Very, very wrong.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Hahaha, yea I didn't think it was a big deal.. On same rack, not really hiding anything and if the owner did call me I would just take off the components and put his back on.

I tore off the bent wheel and alot of other components but now I'm having second thoughs.. Probably just going to buy new bike.

mtbr member
    Since you planned on only using the frame, browse Craigslist and pick up the same model for < $30. Start from there with a clear conscious.

mtbr member
    Theres something to be said about reclaiming a bike and putting it back into service.

I think posting for 30 days first is fair. Maybe ask around too.

Just my 2 cents.
    People ask me all the time "who beat you up"? I tell them "a tree". They just look at me funny....

Hi.
    Except that it's illegal. Fair or unfair, it's not your bike. Plus, it's an entry-level Hard Rock. Save up $100 and go buy one complete.

mtbr member
    Sorry reading comprehension for the win. I did not catch the part where the OP said he has already taken the bike.

Not a good idea. Posting his number and asking around in hopes of finding the owner would be understandable. Just taking the bike and leaving a note is NOT.

Buy a frame off Ebay. You can get some nice ones for under $100.
    People ask me all the time "who beat you up"? I tell them "a tree". They just look at me funny....

T.W.O.
    It's ok to hop it up to the max as long as you'd continue to park it at the same place in the case that the original owner would like to claim it back. My 2 cents.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Guys, the bike has never moved from the rack where I found it, it's the rack I park my bike on everyday.. I have seen that bike for the last 7 months and not once have I seen someone ride it.. Less about morals and that ****, right now I would like to know the skinny on components who makes cheap **** and what company's put out the good stuff?

mtbr member
    Guys, the bike has never moved from the rack where I found it, it's the rack I park my bike on everyday.. I have seen that bike for the last 7 months and not once have I seen someone ride it.. Less about morals and that ****, right now I would like to know the skinny on components who makes cheap **** and what company's put out the good stuff?
    Buy a complete Drive Train. Id go to Pricepoint.com or JensonUSA and look at complete S7 or S9 drive train packages. The S7 package runs about $250, the S9 a hundred more.

Front fork you cant go wrong with Fox or RockShox though if your looking to stay under 3bills your going to have better luck with RockShox or Marzocchi.

Breaks you cant go wrong with Avid BB7's. They arent Hydraulic but there are people who swear by them over Hydrolics and they are pretty damn affordable. I put them on my bike for under $100.

Seat go WTB from everything ive heard.

Just some ideas for ya..

What else you looking for?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pattongb View Post
    What else you looking for?
    A good bike lock. Karma is gonna come lookin' for him.

mtbr member
    Lol, just say "**** that bike, I bought a frame off of CL! What's the best components to slap on this baby?!?" and we're all warm and friendly again.

P.S. What's your budget?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Karma has found me. 2 bikes stolen since I moved tO Miami. Probably not going to take that bike though..you guys can get back on your high horses

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by marpilli View Post
    Lol, just say "**** that bike, I bought a frame off of CL! What's the best components to slap on this baby?!?" and we're all warm and friendly again.

P.S. What's your budget?
    Haha I should have..not sure of my budget.. I'd like a complete bike at or under 1,000..going to check out the local shop tomorrow.

Yes, that's fonetic
    Karma has found me. 2 bikes stolen since I moved tO Miami. Probably not going to take that bike though..you guys can get back on your high horses
    So you're saying somehow you've already prepaid for the bad juju one gets for stealing a bike??? I guess pretty much all horses are high from your low moral perspective.
    Last edited by whodaphuck; 11-03-2011 at 09:51 PM.

mtbr member
    My elderly neighbor hasn't driven his truck for over a year. I think I'll just take it. I mean, it's not like it belongs to anyone.
    "Wait, this thing doesn't have a motor?" - Socrates

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by swingset View Post
    My elderly neighbor hasn't driven his truck for over a year. I think I'll just take it. I mean, it's not like it belongs to anyone.
    Does he leave key in ignition, unlocked for anyone? I live in an apartment where renters come in and out.. I personally have thrown away about 5 bikes that were taking up space on the rack and I had no space for my bike..They were rusted, deflated tires and unlocked-This bike is in similar shape.. Whatever though ill stop defending my actions I Have taken the lock off of the bike and put the wheel back on..Im not taking the bike because like you guys said someone still owns it..

Whodaphuck are you to tell me I have a low moral perspective? You dont even know me..

Mods close this down, or move it to that off topic place

Yes, that's fonetic
    ..... someone still owns it..

Whodaphuck are you to tell me I have a low moral perspective? You dont even know me..
    If you justify taking a bike with the fact that you've had two stolen, yes.

Hi.
    Does he leave key in ignition, unlocked for anyone?
    Does that even matter? You need to realize that just because something is sitting there out in the open, you're not entitled to take it.

And you have a $1,000 budget? Why in the world are you even looking at beat up Hard Rock just for the frame? I just checked, and your local craigslist is absolutely flooded with good deals in the $800-$1k range.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I'll go the other direction on this. If the bike has been abandoned for 7 months, then at least you're getting it back up and running. If you're feeling bad about it, just ask the property manager permission to remove the abandoned bike from the rack.

I hate bike thieves as much as the next person, and my bikes have been stolen before. However, there is a difference between stealing a bike and reclaiming a clearly abandoned one.

But yeah, if you have $1,000 to spend, you're doing this in the most inefficient way possible. Go to Save Up To 60% Off Road Bikes, Bicycles, Mountain Bikes and Bicycles with Bikesdirect.com, New with full warranties and get as much bike as you can afford. If you want, fix up the Hard Rock as cheap as you can and commute on it.

mtbr member
    ^^^ Very good advice...

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I really dont see a problem in picking up abandoned bikes. They are all over the place in europe. Chances are the owner of that one doesnt even live there anymore. You could put flyers in the halls with "Is this yours? Call me" and see if something happens.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast