Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 71
  1. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    423
    Quote Originally Posted by kris7047th View Post
    And your cheap Wally bike has NO value ...
    Little, if any, $ value, depending on the bike and if it was abused.
    But the fun of the ride, priceless.

    As to "the right tool for the job":
    • for some jobs only fat tires will work,
    • for some conditions & locations, only a "real" mountain bike is safe, let alone can be counted upon to get you there and back.

    Most people get all that. We're comparing our extreme budget bikes to "real" fat bikes, not claiming they're comparable - very different. Seeing what we do/don't get for the money, where the limitations will be, is important to ensure a bike we choose is up to each person's level of use. While it would be delightful to have a quality machine, for the level of "job" we're asking it to do, we don't need that much bike.

    But hey, have fun.
    Get it out of your system.

    Quote Originally Posted by kris7047th View Post
    You are missing one BIG point/difference ... compare the components, welds etc. the differences will be day and night. ... rode them a few times and they ended up taking up space. ...no fun to ride when they thought they would be...[/B]
    A well known problem across the whole bike spectrum.
    Problem is, until you can get someone to ride a quality bicycle, they have no idea what they're missing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    If you bought your "bicycle" in the toy aisle at the same store you just picked up toilet paper and twinkies, you're wrong.
    A great signature line?

  2. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,529
    Quote Originally Posted by CurtP View Post
    Are ANY fatbike frames, rims or tires not made in China or Siam?
    Go here: FAT-BIKE.COM
    Scroll down a bit and there's a list of fatbike manufacturers. I'd say over half are made in the USA. I ride a Twenty2 Cycles frame. They make Ti, steel and aluminum frames in Colorado.

    If you want some insight into the anti-cheap bike attitude amongst some of us, Google "Huffy Toss". This was (is?) an actual thing that was common at mountain bike races and festivals. I'd propose a Walgoose Toss, but I don't want to see anyone get hurt.

    Huffy Toss - YouTube

  3. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,025
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    How did you ever get the ever elusive extraordinary sneaky Jonshonda on camera?
    Even though I am a busy guy, I am sure I can find enough time to shove every one of those 2 liters up your a$$.

    Think your hip hurts.... just wait until I tell you that I threw a hand full of mentos in each bottle. Have fun trying to fit a horse saddle on your fancy carbon Butt-hurt-allis.

  4. #29
    Location: SouthPole of MN
    Reputation: duggus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,378
    Quote Originally Posted by CurtP View Post
    So do you think low worker wages, slave labor cases, deaths, etc is different because the specification is better?
    Absolutely. All low priced things come at a cost to someone's wage, material, quality, etc... and anyone who thinks otherwise is absolutely in denial.

    As far as things made in Taiwan... ALL very modern US-like conditions. China is where the slave labor happens.

    Here is a quick search... Giant's Taiwan factory: Taiwan Bike Tour: Giant Bicycles? Taichung Factory Visit

  5. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,025
    I would never wear white shoes anyways, they get dirty wayy too fast.

  6. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,025
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Danger View Post
    Nope. I hear he's been testing for Tommi C. and the team Xtreme fat bike people.
    I volunteered to be the test saddle for their show bikes, but bholedundee already claimed that spot.

  7. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kris7047th's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    280
    Quote Originally Posted by Canoe View Post
    Little, if any, $ value, depending on the bike and if it was abused.
    But the fun of the ride, priceless.

    As to "the right tool for the job":
    • for some jobs only fat tires will work,
    • for some conditions & locations, only a "real" mountain bike is safe, let alone can be counted upon to get you there and back.

    Most people get all that. We're comparing our extreme budget bikes to "real" fat bikes, not claiming they're comparable - very different. Seeing what we do/don't get for the money, where the limitations will be, is important to ensure a bike we choose is up to each person's level of use. While it would be delightful to have a quality machine, for the level of "job" we're asking it to do, we don't need that much bike.

    But hey, have fun.
    Get it out of your system.


    A well known problem across the whole bike spectrum.
    Problem is, until you can get someone to ride a quality bicycle, they have no idea what they're missing.



    A great signature line?
    So true. What I told my SIL. I hope to get him and my daughter to a friends bike shop to test ride some nice bikes. They now live only a mile form a State Park with trails. How convenient is that? The mtb's they have just wouldn't do when they were miserable to ride on asphalt.

  8. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    423
    Quote Originally Posted by kris7047th View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Canoe View Post
    A well known problem across the whole bike spectrum.
    Problem is, until you can get someone to ride a quality bicycle, they have no idea what they're missing.
    So true. What I told my SIL. I hope to get him and my daughter to a friends bike shop to test ride some nice bikes. They now live only a mile form a State Park with trails. How convenient is that? The mtb's they have just wouldn't do when they were miserable to ride on asphalt.
    The test ride is usually impressive enough. But often you have to explain and get them to believe that more benefit/enjoyment will show up, over a week, a month, a season, etc..
    Where I live, the LBS have a very very hard time getting people onto their first quality bike. Once there, they never go back (unless they're like me, and enjoy messing with them).

  9. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    98
    Quote Originally Posted by SmooveP View Post
    Go here: FAT-BIKE.COM
    Scroll down a bit and there's a list of fatbike manufacturers. I'd say over half are made in the USA. I ride a Twenty2 Cycles frame. They make Ti, steel and aluminum frames in Colorado.

    If you want some insight into the anti-cheap bike attitude amongst some of us, Google "Huffy Toss". This was (is?) an actual thing that was common at mountain bike races and festivals. I'd propose a Walgoose Toss, but I don't want to see anyone get hurt.

    Huffy Toss - YouTube
    Ok, you convinced me.

    I'm sending my bike back and buying one of the 21 bikes.

    Gonna sell my wifes car to cover the $8,000.00 price tag.

    Thanks Vladimir, you have convinced me that all things should be made by hand here in Russia.

    We should all work on collectives and be told what to buy, how it should be made, and by whom. I'm gonna start making my new cell phone tonight - wish me luck.

    Perhaps we should go back to the days when the people who worked in the ice industry cried foul at the new refrigeration thingamajiggy that closed down the biggest employment sector at the turn of the century?

    A little history - this argument has an age old label - luddite. And before ice, it was the candle makers complaining about imported oil lamps. So you need a new sticker for your bike - The Luddite

  10. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Velobike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    4,650
    The whole Walmart thing is an issue those of us who live overseas are not familiar with, so I'm not commenting on that.

    Hopefully the rest of this thread is tongue in cheek, but I don't like to see people held up to ridicule because of their weight, people looked down on at because they don't have a lot of disposable income, or because they lack expertise in bikes.

    Basically:


    1. Bikes are fun

    2. Ride your bike

    3. Horses for courses

    4. Disposable income gets spent on toys.

    5. Don't let your ambitions exceed your capabilities

    6. Don't be a knob

    7. Ride some more

    8. Go to 1 and loop
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

  11. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,529
    Quote Originally Posted by GiantTrek View Post
    Ok, you convinced me.

    I'm sending my bike back and buying one of the 21 bikes.

    Gonna sell my wifes car to cover the $8,000.00 price tag.

    Thanks Vladimir, you have convinced me that all things should be made by hand here in Russia.

    We should all work on collectives and be told what to buy, how it should be made, and by whom. I'm gonna start making my new cell phone tonight - wish me luck.

    Perhaps we should go back to the days when the people who worked in the ice industry cried foul at the new refrigeration thingamajiggy that closed down the biggest employment sector at the turn of the century?

    A little history - this argument has an age old label - luddite. And before ice, it was the candle makers complaining about imported oil lamps. So you need a new sticker for your bike - The Luddite
    You've got me all wrong. I don't want you to have a nice bike. I want you to have the other kind.

  12. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    98
    Quote Originally Posted by SmooveP View Post
    You've got me all wrong. I don't want you to have a nice bike. I want you to have the other kind.
    And I hope your daily bike path around the play ground gets all clogged up with slow walmart bikers and their kids, and you take up a different hobby - like golf. You can go out and spend 8k on a set of Ping golf clubs and still golf like s**t.

    Buuut the fellows in the club house will, (or might) think your da man.

  13. #38
    Laramie, Wyoming
    Reputation: alphazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1,282
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    ...I don't like to see people held up to ridicule because of their weight...
    What should be done with those who are grossly overweight who cost the rest of us who try to be healthy large amounts of money? A very large percentage of the health care costs in America are due to poor health.

    I maybe used to think it was in poor taste to say anything about someone who was overweight. I don't any longer. Your poor health affects the cost of my health that I work hard to maintain.

  14. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,529
    Quote Originally Posted by GiantTrek View Post
    And I hope your bike gets all clogged up with slow walmart bikers and their kids
    Yes, I've heard that if you get bits of their flesh in your drivetrain, it can cause poor shifting. So I'll try to avoid that.

    No golf for me. I think golf courses are the second biggest waste of land, after cemeteries.

  15. #40
    Your Best Friend
    Reputation: Silentfoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,838
    Quote Originally Posted by alphazz View Post
    What should be done with those who are grossly overweight who cost the rest of us who try to be healthy large amounts of money? A very large percentage of the health care costs in America are due to poor health.

    I maybe used to think it was in poor taste to say anything about someone who was overweight. I don't any longer. Your poor health affects the cost of my health that I work hard to maintain.
    Yep. With the advent of social medicine, I now get a say in how everyone takes care of themselves. I am not immune. We have made all of our private choices, very public.

  16. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kris7047th's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    280
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    Yep. With the advent of social medicine, I now get a say in how everyone takes care of themselves. I am not immune. We have made all of our private choices, very public.
    And social medicine will be the bane for all of us ..

  17. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    The whole Walmart thing is an issue those of us who live overseas are not familiar with, so I'm not commenting on that.

    Hopefully the rest of this thread is tongue in cheek, but I don't like to see people held up to ridicule because of their weight, people looked down on at because they don't have a lot of disposable income, or because they lack expertise in bikes.

    Basically:


    1. Bikes are fun

    2. Ride your bike

    3. Horses for courses

    4. Disposable income gets spent on toys.

    5. Don't let your ambitions exceed your capabilities

    6. Don't be a knob

    7. Ride some more

    8. Go to 1 and loop
    Regrettably, these comments are NOT joking. These people actually think it is OK to look down on other human beings that they know nothing about. Welcome to the true face of America today. Of course...these same people will claim not to prejudge people based on looks.

    The other thing I got out of this useless thread is, since Walmart has a higher percentage of made in the USA products than any of my local bike stores do, I should also boycott them.

    Galen

  18. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation: puchcobra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    107
    Old people just acting like old f****

  19. #44
    Fat & Single
    Reputation: ozzybmx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,755
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    The whole Walmart thing is an issue those of us who live overseas are not familiar with
    Fatbikes for $200 ? Really
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

  20. #45
    Nuts
    Reputation: bdundee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,515
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    Even though I am a busy guy, I am sure I can find enough time to shove every one of those 2 liters up your a$$.

    Think your hip hurts.... just wait until I tell you that I threw a hand full of mentos in each bottle. Have fun trying to fit a horse saddle on your fancy carbon Butt-hurt-allis.

    Kinky but I'm really not into that type of thing but I do know a woman that might be I do like mentos tho and that is an outstanding idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post

    but I don't like to see people held up to ridicule because of their weight,
    I would never ridicule someone for being over weight, my mom was very heavy till the day she passed at 65. But even tho she was bigger that that dude in the pic I have never seen her butt crack and that deserves a little ribbing because there is no excuse for that. Be heavy be happy it's all good but I don't need to see the junk in your trunk or anything else for that matter
    And I love beer!!

  21. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Velobike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    4,650
    Quote Originally Posted by alphazz View Post
    ...Your poor health affects the cost of my health that I work hard to maintain.
    I'm far from overweight, just don't like people being victimised.

    Our sport and many other active sports comes with risks too, and that impinges on health care costs. Should we be noble, and stop doing them?
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

  22. #47
    Fat & Single
    Reputation: ozzybmx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,755
    There's a bit of a difference between a bed ridden morbidly obese person who find the money to maintain 300kg yet doesn't work and gets access to healthcare and someone who works all week then hurts themselves at the weekend playing sport.

    Don't you get the "people of K-mart" emails... lighten up guys ! That's the way things are heading in this world, soon we won't be able to laugh at anything or it will be victimisation, racism or sexual discrimination.

    Go ride mofo's !!!
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

  23. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Velobike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    4,650
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzybmx View Post
    ...Don't you get the "people of K-mart" emails... lighten up guys !...

    Go ride mofo's !!!
    Probably cultural differences coming into play here, what's acceptable in one place is eyebrow raising in another, so I'll butt out.

    Go ride is universal though.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

  24. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Pauldotcom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    744
    Great post I was flamed a while back when I dissed Walmart. Agree with everything you said
    “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM

  25. #50
    Rogue Exterminator
    Reputation: kjlued's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,464
    Don't be a hater because somebody is having just as good of a time on their $200 bike as you are on your high dollar bike.

    Bring a NERF ball to a football game... get treated like an idiot-jorbin_gonna_hate.jpg

    Manuel Beastly makes your post irrelevant

    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Adding grip to pressure treated lumber
    By LarryFahn in forum Trail Building and Advocacy
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-13-2012, 10:54 AM
  2. Best Online 8 Ball Pool Game Ever
    By D-Avid in forum Off Camber (off topic)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-18-2012, 10:14 PM
  3. heat treated, air hardened steel
    By golden boy in forum Frame Building
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-01-2012, 12:52 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-14-2011, 05:35 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •