Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bike Drag Race

mtbr member

Bike Drag Race

Trying to start a Bike Drag Race. With the staging lights and Christmas tree. Full quarter mile. In need of a sponsor. Any help so I can do the event? And I will be racing myself.

mtbr member
    Sounds like an incredibly short time trial.

Elitest thrill junkie
    We had one a few years ago on a frozen lagoon late at night. Lots of people showed up. Naturally, I wore drag with blinking light-up boobies. Some alcohol was consumed.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Nutrailer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    We had one a few years ago on a frozen lagoon late at night. Lots of people showed up. Naturally, I wore drag with blinking light-up boobies. Some alcohol was consumed.
    It's good to see you're always prepared
    What a perfect waste of time

mtbr member
    A Real Drag Race! Idk why people are making jokes. Drag is drag coefficient. Not some freaks. This is a drag race. Sad I have to explain. Guess most are recreational riders. https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=16s&v=-JA7rpvA1ZY

mtbr member

Meatbomb
    1/4 mile is too long. It will be boring.

Here, diagonally!
    not sure if serious

My little friends
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    1/4 mile is too long. It will be boring.
    100 yards so you could at least see who wins.

mtbr member
    Show me a video of top end happening on a mountain bike on flat ground with no turns and no obstacles, before 1320 ft/440 meters/quarter mile and I'd consider reducing it down to the eighth mile.

mtbr member
    And I am completely serious.

Out spokin'
    This is a mountain biking forum. Will the dragstrip include technical sections (overs, rock gardens, logs, etc)? If not, why not drag race road bikes which are pavement-centric? Here's the forum for that:
    Road Bike, Cycling Forums
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

EAT MORE GRIME
    change this 1/4 mile drag race..... to

fastest unpaced standing start 250 meters or 500 meters.
    (820.21 feet and 1640.42 feet)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    these two distances (amonst others)
    are tracked in world cycling as actual 'bike sprinting' records

250meter WR is 16.984 seconds
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

Bikesexual
    Is Picard back?
    just get a bike and ride!

mtbr member
    Just for reference, bike "drag races" are usually 10-50 miles long. Not 1/4 mile.

Thats some special olympics stuff.

Cycologist
    Are we going to have parachutes to help slow us down after the finish line? That'd be cool. I'll put my sponsor's logo on mine to justify my sponsorship.
    There are two types of people in this world:
    1) Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    They do these all the time, for strider bikes.

Land of the 230+
    This is two throwaway threads you made in a short span of time. The troll is strong with this one.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quarter mile is way too far for an acceleration race on a bike. You will hit your top speed in less than 100 yards.
    From that point, what you will be doing is having a sprint, not a drag race.

"Show me a video of top end happening on a mountain bike on flat ground with no turns and no obstacles, before 1320 ft/440 meters/quarter mile and I'd consider reducing it down to the eighth mile."

LMAO

mtbr member
    "Trying to start a Bike Drag Race.......I will be racing myself.

Drag races on bikes are dangerous...your skirt will get caught in the spokes. And if you race yourself, how will you know who wins?
    Yeah, I know, don't quit my day job! It's snowing and I'm bored.

mtbr member
    The event is called "Match Sprint" not "Drag Race"

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    Are we going to have parachutes to help slow us down after the finish line? That'd be cool. I'll put my sponsor's logo on mine to justify my sponsorship.
    People will pay to see your sponsor
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Actually it depends on gear ratios when you hit your top speed, along with your grip (tire type x dimensions) along with your RPM. And every race is dangerous. I thought I explained drag racing already. So the stupid remarks can stop. It's actually safer to do drag racing than it is with ABA off-road racing. Drag Racing is two racers at a time. Any other race is fields of sixteen or more. And I intend on making different classes for the drag race 3 day event. Road bikes, carbon steel mountain bikes, aluminum mtb bikes, titanium mtb, single speeds, carbon fiber mtb all in their own classes. Electric bikes and gas engines won't be allowed.

mtbr member
    And unless your brakes are shot, you don't need parachutes. And actually, the record for the quarter mile is here. So there is bike drag racing. IHPVA - International Human Powered Vehicle Association

mtbr member
    IHPVA . ORG Mens and Women's quarter mile drag race. Single rider.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    This was done back in the '80s. A series in several cities one summer. Nelson Vails was the big star attraction. Saw him doing this in Portland. The races were about 2 city blocks long if I remember correctly. Failed after one season.

mtbr member
    It wasn't given enough of a chance. Even Wally Parks needed more than a single season to make the NHRA popular. I see no reason why bike drag racing shouldn't come back. Read quite a few articles. People are doing bike dynos. And there was even this one rider that did an eighth mile at GREAT LAKES Dragway.

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by dragracer88 View Post
    , single speeds,
    Include a singlespeed class and I'll spectate so long as the race is held within ten miles of where I live. I'll bring plenty of beer plus be high as a kite on arrival (pot is legal within ten miles of where I live). And of course I'll dress in drag to show my support of the event. Please provide shade structures, food trucks, comfortable seating, portapotties, etc.

I spent a decade riding singlespeed almost exclusively. For a strong rider, the SS discipline works well uphill or down; the only place where a singlespeed is a disadvantage is on level ground, where (s)he will spin one gear out within 50 feet or so. I hope this SS drag race will be staged on a wicked steep climb.

Can't wait!
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    That's alot of sponsors you are asking for. I was planning on just one sponsor. For just the 3 day event. Since I can't afford the 700 dollar drag lights. And would you cut it out? Nothing about drag racing is about dressing like a freak.

mtbr member
    SMH! HERE!

Drag Racing Explained:

Drag racing is a type of motor racing in which automobiles, bikes, atvs, dirtbikes, motorcycles, etc. (usually specially prepared for the purpose) compete, usually two at a time, to be first to cross a set finish line. The race follows a short, straight course from a standing start over a measured distance, most commonly ¼ mile (1,320 ft (402 m)), with a shorter (1,000 ft (305 m)) becoming increasingly popular, as it has become the standard for Top Fuel dragsters and funny cars, where some major bracket races and other sanctioning bodies have adopted it as the standard, while the ⅛ mi (660 ft (201 m) is also popular in some circles. Electronic timing and speed sensing systems have been used to record race results since the 1960s.

Modern professional races are started electronically by a system known as a Christmas tree, which consists of a column of lights for each driver/lane, and two light beam sensors per lane on the track at the starting line. Current National Hot Rod Association (NHRA) trees, for example, feature one blue light (split into halves), then three amber, one green, and one red. When the first light beam is broken by a vehicle's front tire(s), the vehicle is "pre-staged" (approximately 7 inches (180 mm) from the starting line), and the pre-stage indicator on the tree is lit. When the second light beam is broken, the vehicle is "staged", and the stage indicator on the tree is lit. Vehicles may then leave the pre-stage beam, but must remain in the stage beam until the race starts.

Once one competitor is staged, their opponent has a set amount of time to stage or they will be instantly disqualified, indicated by a red light on the tree. Otherwise, once both drivers are staged, the system chooses a short delay at random (to prevent a driver being able to anticipate the start), then starts the race. The light sequence at this point varies slightly. For example, in NHRA Professional classes, three amber lights on the tree flash simultaneously, followed 0.4 seconds later by a green light (this is also known as a "pro tree"). In NHRA Sportsman classes, the amber lights illuminate in sequence from top to bottom, 0.5 seconds apart, followed 0.5 seconds later by the green light (this is also known as a "sportsman tree" or "full tree"). If a vehicle leaves the starting line before the green light illuminates, the red light for that lane illuminates instead, and the driver is disqualified (also known as red lighting). In a handicap start, the green light automatically lights up for the first driver, and the red light is only lit in the proper lane after both cars have launched if one driver leaves early, or if both drivers left early, the driver whose reaction time is worse (if one lane has a -.015 and the other lane has a -.022, the lane of the driver who committed a 0.022 is given the red light after both cars have left)., as a red light infraction is only assessed to the driver with the worse infraction, if both drivers leave early. Even if both drivers leave early, the green light is automatically lit for the driver that left last, and they still may win the pass (as in the 2014 NHRA Auto Club Pro Stock final, Erica Enders-Stevens and Jason Line both committed red light infractions; only Line was assessed with a red light, as he was -.011 versus Enders-Stevens' -.002).

Several measurements are taken for each race: reaction time, elapsed time, and speed. Reaction time is the period from the green light illuminating to the vehicle leaving the starting line. Elapsed time is the period from the vehicle leaving the starting line to crossing the finish line. Speed is measured through a speed trap covering the final 66 feet (20 m) to the finish line, indicating average speed of the vehicle in that distance.

Except where a breakout rule is in place, the winner is the first vehicle to cross the finish line, and therefore the driver with the lowest combined reaction time and elapsed time. Because these times are measured separately, a driver with a slower elapsed time can actually win if that driver's advantage in reaction time exceeds the elapsed time difference. In heads-up racing, this is known as a holeshot win. In categories where a breakout rule is in effect (for example, NHRA Junior Dragster, Super Comp, Super Gas, Super Stock, and Stock classes, as well as some dial-in classes), if a competitor is faster than his or her predetermined time (a "breakout"), that competitor loses. If both competitors are faster than their predetermined times, the competitor who breaks out by less time wins. Regardless, a red light foul is worse than a breakout, except in Junior Dragster where exceeding the absolute limit is a cause for disqualification.

SO pivot, you can knock it off now.

mtbr member
    Drag Racing is a contest between two people; for speed, time and acceleration.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    "Trying to start a Bike Drag Race.......I will be racing myself.

Drag races on bikes are dangerous...your skirt will get caught in the spokes. And if you race yourself, how will you know who wins?
    Yeah, I know, don't quit my day job! It's snowing and I'm bored.
    To be fair, I cut it down a bit so it was more like a mini-skirt.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

Cycologist
    And unless your brakes are shot, you don't need parachutes.
    Dang, and I was already modifying my Camelbak with a ripcord opening.

Bikesexual
    ^^lol, nice!

mtbr member
    Really don't think anyone is realizing this is serious. Either that or people are just being stupid and are ignorant, despite my in depth explanation just last night. Dense much?! Look at your mtb gear ratios. They were MADE for acceleration! The gears are sequential.

Land of the 230+
    Really don't think anyone is realizing this is serious.
    Because you're probably the only one seriously interested in doing this. Maybe you'd have better luck on a road bike forum. I think most people here are going to continue to laugh this idea off.

Bikesexual
    #1 Rule: Always know your audience.

I doubt, this will be taken seriously here!

mtbr member
    I'm ready for the singlespeed class

Bike Drag Race-big-ringing.jpg

Land of the 230+
    Quote Originally Posted by coke View Post
    I'm ready for the singlespeed class

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	big-ringing.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	65.1 KB 
ID:	1193624
    Well, at least you never have to worry about pedal strikes.

Out spokin'
    Look at your mtb gear ratios. They were MADE for acceleration! The gears are sequential.
    Actually they're not sequential. Unless you're talking 1x, which probably lacks adequate total range to win at a drag race, where one would need one hella top gear.

Both classic three ring circus cranksets of decades goneby as well as today's latest but far from greatest 2x drivetrains lack sequential gear progression. Shift the front, shift the back, shift the front, shift the back, ad nauseam. "The crowd went to tears when the #13 bike sponsored by Phuket Thai Restaurant suffered chainsuck at 17mph while attempting a double shift."

We discussed the inadequacy of singlespeeds in a match sprint previously in this thread. You'll need two courses, one flat, one uphill.

Finally I hate to say it, but three days is too long. I'm beginning to fear for the success of this otherwise brilliant idea.
    =sParty

P.S. Oh, back to portapotties. You WILL need portapotties -- lots of them.
    disciplesofdirt.org

Here, diagonally!
    Are we going to have parachutes to help slow us down after the finish line?
    Just lift up your skirt.

mtbr member
    I don't think single speeds top out at the 60 ft. I used to race bmx. Had no issues years ago with the quarter mile. I don't quite think you guys know drag racing or your bikes well enough. Quarter mile is not too long, 500m is longer than a quarter mile and 100 meters barely gets you into 3rd.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I’m still not seeing where the mountain comes into play.

Cycologist
    I don't think single speeds top out at the 60 ft. I used to race bmx. Had no issues years ago with the quarter mile. I don't quite think you guys know drag racing or your bikes well enough. Quarter mile is not too long, 500m is longer than a quarter mile and 100 meters barely gets you into 3rd.
    Since a bicycle actually has more in common with a human sprinter than a nitro burning funny car, wouldn't it make more sense to be a 100m or 200m race rather than a quarter mile? Why would anyone even start in as low a gear as third? If you're starting off in a low gear on level ground – bu-bye.

My little friends
    Roadies would have a distinct traction advantage:

Land of the 230+
    Quote Originally Posted by EABiker View Post
    Roadies would have a distinct traction advantage:

Only if their bike will fit an InfiniBoost 12x848 rear axle...

mtbr member
    Is it sad to say I just keep checking this thread all day long to see what happens next?

Honestly has been the highlight of my day.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Our group of riding buddies have a similar event some nights. After a few parking lot beers we host a “slow race”. You line up with your back tire against the curb and the finish line is the next yellow line on the parking lot. On “go”, everyone races to the finish line. The only rules are that you can’t go backwards or put a foot down. Oh, and last one to finish is the winner!

EAT MORE GRIME
    my body is ready

"Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

Nutrailer
    This is my favorite thread for some time

Would this be allowed?

Here, diagonally!
    I like the singlespeed concept for a full quarter-mile run. Check the wind direction, and chose your cog carefully.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Comedy gold, this thread is!

mtbr member
    No. It wouldn't be a Bike Drag Race if you ran faster than 25 seconds. So no electric turbo e bikes or gas engines allowed. All manually powered. And you don't double shift any vehicle. That will wear down your derailleur and casette on a Bike and cause it to skip a gear and make you lose time and speed from the RPM drop. And you don't start in 3rd. Never said you start in 3rd. You start in 1st in High Gear, the largest front sprocket. You start in any gear higher than 1st and your launch/60 foot/And reaction time will suffer. It takes time for anything to get the RPM up. You would lag at launch if you started in 6th or 7th. And that modification would cost too much. There are Goodyears for mountain bikes, but a 36 inch slicks would cost quite a bit. Not worth it. And it would add too much weight.

Nutrailer
    No. It wouldn't be a Bike Drag Race if you ran faster than 25 seconds. So no electric turbo e bikes or gas engines allowed. All manually powered. And you don't double shift any vehicle. That will wear down your derailleur and casette on a Bike and cause it to skip a gear and make you lose time and speed from the RPM drop. And you don't start in 3rd. Never said you start in 3rd. You start in 1st in High Gear, the largest front sprocket. You start in any gear higher than 1st and your launch/60 foot/And reaction time will suffer. It takes time for anything to get the RPM up. You would lag at launch if you started in 6th or 7th. And that modification would cost too much. There are Goodyears for mountain bikes, but a 36 inch slicks would cost quite a bit. Not worth it. And it would add too much weight.
    Awesome, so 3 wheels and aerodynamic aids are allowed?

Bike Drag Race-s-l1000.jpg

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by JackWare View Post
    Awesome, so 3 wheels and aerodynamic aids are allowed?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1000.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	142.9 KB 
ID:	1193694
    VW bike?

Land of the 230+
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    VW bike?
    Depends if the rider is guilty of his own emissions scandal.

Nutrailer
    [QUOTE=jcd46;13630328]I figured what the heck... and got my set up ready![/QUOTE

Please not a drag strip picture.

Nutrailer
    VW bike?
    It's on eBay now with allegedly 1 already sold ?!

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    my body is ready
    That's what your mom said.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    Can't believe I missed this thread until just now. I had to work at work today.

Did Picard have a baby with Tealy?
    Is this where I write something witty?

mtbr member
    I worked at work once. Strongly don't recommend it.

mtbr member
    I don't quite think you guys know drag racing or your bikes well enough.
    Brooo, I just got my bike caged. SFI 25.3 cert. Strip bike only, none of that amateur street sh!t you're talking about.

Land of the 230+
    Ever go over the bars THROUGH your 5 point harness? They had to put me back together like a Mr. Potato Head.

My little friends
    And in the Winner's Circle....

Elitest thrill junkie
    timeslips or it didn't happen...

EAT MORE GRIME
    Wait for me guise !

Bikesexual
    Wait for me guise !

I'm pairing up against you!

mtbr member
    Mar 2015

Bike Drag Race

They have these; they are called Cat 3 XC race starts.

But instead of pulling the chute, drinking beer and eating crappy nachos, you race on Singletrack for another hour then drink beer.

Its basically what you are looking for though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cycologist
    Wait for me guise !

No fascist pigs allowed in the race!

Oh wait, that would only apply if you're standing on the other side.

Out spokin'
    Wait for me guise !

Mr. Nazi Wheels' biggest problem? The 26" swastika is dead. If those were 29" swastikas, he'd be rollin'.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

Land of the 230+
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    The 26" swastika is dead. If those were 29" swastikas, he'd be rollin'.
    I did NAZI that one coming!

How much more does it take to get this thread locked up?

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitsBoy View Post
    I did NAZI that one coming!

How much more does it take to get this thread locked up?
    I think we're all waiting to see OP's next passionate plea for sanity. He seems quite sincere.
    oops I wasn't clipped in

Bikesexual
    Found this gem.. parachutes and all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHfXDKTyN0A

mtbr member
    I think people are too scared of going 30 to 45 mph on a Bike. 45 being the limit before the front tire starts lifting in High Gear.

Out spokin'
    And this one! Every drag race gotta have them Christmas lights!
    https://youtu.be/15nedSrzsc8
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

Cycologist

I think that's DJ on the orange bike with the 'chutes.

Bikesexual
    I think people are too scared of going 30 to 45 mph on a Bike. 45 being the limit before the front tire starts lifting in High Gear.
    Not a mountain ride, but not scared of 30+ mph.

https://www.relive.cc/view/1366644637

Bikesexual
    And this one! Every drag race gotta have them Christmas lights!
    https://youtu.be/15nedSrzsc8
    =sParty
    Saw that one too! The guy with the basket was actually a strong rider.

Bikesexual
    I think that's DJ on the orange bike with the 'chutes.
    lol, missed that post.

mtbr member
    They are slow on reaction time. Supposed to go on the last amber light. Not wait until green; Sparticus.

Out spokin'
    They are slow on reaction time. Supposed to go on the last amber light. Not wait until green; Sparticus.
    Once again my ignorance is on display. Just curious, why do they have the green light?
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    Due to the time the car/bike/Motorcycle takes to launch; you want to launch at the last amber light in the sportsman tree. The Pro Tree all 3 amber lights light up within .4 of a second after both racers stage. Sportsmen is best for bike drag racing as each amber is .5 second; so its easier to keep track off for the beginning racer.

mtbr member

Bikesexual

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    "why would you want to drag race a bike" gold
    oops I wasn't clipped in

mtbr member
    Include a singlespeed class and I'll spectate so long as the race is held within ten miles of where I live. I'll bring plenty of beer plus be high as a kite on arrival (pot is legal within ten miles of where I live). And of course I'll dress in drag to show my support of the event. Please provide shade structures, food trucks, comfortable seating, portapotties, etc.

I spent a decade riding singlespeed almost exclusively. For a strong rider, the SS discipline works well uphill or down; the only place where a singlespeed is a disadvantage is on level ground, where (s)he will spin one gear out within 50 feet or so. I hope this SS drag race will be staged on a wicked steep climb.

Can't wait!
    =sParty
    Any event with beer and food trucks is a winner in my books.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

mtbr member
    Please enlighten me on what mountain bike can be pedaled up to 45 mph on flat ground. I'm extremely curious about this machine.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

Land of the 230+
    Even downhill on the road, what mystical forces lift your front tire in the mid forty MPH range? And what if I coasted down in low gear, would I be immune to it?

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by Curveball View Post
    Please enlighten me on what mountain bike can be pedaled up to 45 mph on flat ground. I'm extremely curious about this machine.
    Walmart E-bike?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I liked it better when this guy was trolling Lane.

Cycologist
    Walmart E-bike?
    Walmart Carbon Fiber E-bike

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I think everyone is missing the most critical point of this whole discussion. An All Mountain bike is not appropriate for drag racing. This entire thread should be moved to the right forum.

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by PhillipJ View Post
    I think everyone is missing the most critical point of this whole discussion. An All Mountain bike is not appropriate for drag racing. This entire thread should be moved to the right forum.
    Beer Forum? I'm not sure OP is allowed in there.

Maybe we need a Drag Racing forum.

Here, diagonally!
    Walmart Carbon Fiber E-bike
    Read the fine print. It's actually a Walmart "Simulated Carbon Fiber" E-bike (injection molded plastic). The batteries are molded into the frame, and not rechargeable. It's a one-time use thing - very convenient. When the batteries die, you throw it in the garbage, or leave it on the trail. Not bad for 29.95.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Second vote for mtb drag racing forum. Fascinating. I want to enter my FS fat bike maybe with the studded dillinger 5's for good hookup and a strong launch. Just hoping i don't loose studs during the burnouts.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Definitely a few flaws with this idea:

• I think the fire retardant suit and helmet are gonna clash with my mini skirt and flip flops.
    • Not sure I can come up with sponsors as fine as chaz and jcd.
    • My front tire starts to lift off the ground at just 8mph unless I hold it with my foot, so if I go much faster I'll die for sure!

I do have one question though. Can I ride my moped to preview the course? Don't want any surprises and I'm not sure I can walk that far unassisted.

Bikesexual
    Beer Forum? I'm not sure OP is allowed in there.

Maybe we need a Drag Racing forum.
    I don't know, I'm thinking the guys in the ebike forum might find this attractive.

Where is tealy when you need him?

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitsBoy View Post
    Even downhill on the road, what mystical forces lift your front tire in the mid forty MPH range? And what if I coasted down in low gear, would I be immune to it?
    Hey you're kill'n my buzz here! I've been enjoying the thought experiment. OP's post triggered my dream of going weightless in space, so I was into feeling my front tire lift @45mph in high gear. I was before I read your bring-down post!
    oops I wasn't clipped in

Land of the 230+
    Quote Originally Posted by jim c View Post
    Hey you're kill'n my buzz here! I've been enjoying the thought experiment. OP's post triggered my dream of going weightless in space, so I was into feeling my front tire lift @45mph in high gear. I was before I read your bring-down post!
    Just add some canards to the front fork. Make sure they're only activated by "high gear". Speaking of high gear, if you're partaking in today's holiday spirit and festivities, the idea just might work!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast