RIS
    banned
    Nov 2009

The base-model Ducati 1198 now comes with traction control and a quick shifter!

And the price didn't go up.

Which I think is pretty cool, because previously, the only way to get an 1198 with traction control was to buy the the $21K "S" model (now replaced by the $22K "SP" model).

They've both got the same horsepower, and the base model only weighs about 7 pounds more.

For the $5000 difference between the base and S/SP models, you could spend $1000 on re-springing and re-valving the base-model's Showa suspension, and still have enough money left over for a full titanium Termignoni exhaust system kit, a set of fiberglass bodywork, and a pair of decent tires. A stock SP would look like it was tied to a tree compared to a base model with that basic prep work done.

The SP model comes with a slipper clutch, but I've always done fine with the "poor man's slipper" (turning the idle up to just shy of 2000 rpm).

The lighter wheels probably wouldn't matter unless you were a top-3 guy (and I ain't).

The SP model's aluminum tank holds .7 gallon more, but I'm not sure that any model of this platform would be my first choice for an endurance bike.

I'm not clear on any difference between the front brake calipers. I thought that the base model got cast monobloc type calipers and the upscale versions got billet monoblocs (and that's how it looks in the pics), but I'm not sure at this point, and although I'm pretty aggressive on the brakes, I don't know that I'd benefit from any difference in the calipers anyway. The website describes them both simply as Brembo monoblocs.

RIS
    banned
    Nov 2009
    I like this color:

mtbr member
    that's great

View Point Reyes Field Trip - really in a larger map
    我的镀铬光泽的冰柱一样,我骑在镇附近在我的低骑手自行车