Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Is it bad etiquette to smoke pot on the trails?

Occasionally you get that whiff of a burning plant on the trails. I assume it's just a random plant on fire because smoking pot is illegal and I know that nobody in America breaks the law. Should I be going to put that fire out, or just taking in as much of the not so fresh air as possible?
    If it were legal though, would be be bad etiquette to light up on the trails?

mtbr member
    Really? Do you like controversy?

Have a better one for ya.....

Do you think it's bad etiquette to start threads that're sure to go nowhere but the recycling bin?

Have been known to partake myself, but if you're in a place where someone can smell it, you may offend them and there might also be kids around so IMO not cool.
    Last edited by theMeat; 08-07-2011 at 11:31 AM.
    Round and round we go

if you can't tell the difference between some random burning plant, pot, and tobacco (there are even a few more I might throw in there), you are indeed very sheltered and need to get out more.

I dislike smelling ANY smoke when I'm riding as it impedes my breathing performance. that includes the campfires people insist on burning in the middle of the day at the car campground the trail might pass.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    it is very poor etiquette indeed unless you're jamming to The Eagles.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    lame...

mtbr member
    If you don't share it then that would be considered poor etiquette. Don't forget to bring some Twinkies to munch on too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I lived in a place where it was effectively legal since it was accepted by most and the police would turn a blind eye to smokers. It was not uncommon to show up at a race and see riders partaking of the herb before the start. My opinion on it is the same as the one I hold on having sex in the woods, just don't do it where there's kids & families around and it's all good. If you want to inhale way out in the boonies then go right ahead. If you're gonna do it on a group ride check to make sure everyone's cool with it.

slap happy
    Quote Originally Posted by aerius View Post
    I lived in a place where it was effectively legal since it was accepted by most and the police would turn a blind eye to smokers. It was not uncommon to show up at a race and see riders partaking of the herb before the start. My opinion on it is the same as the one I hold on having sex in the woods, just don't do it where there's kids & families around and it's all good. If you want to inhale way out in the boonies then go right ahead. If you're gonna do it on a group ride check to make sure everyone's cool with it.

qft.
    Consequences dictate our course of action and it doesn't matter what's right. It's only wrong if you get caught.

It's about showing up.
    Any activity that is not directly associated with actually riding a mountain bike forward should move itself to the right side of the trail.
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by theMeat View Post
    Really? Do you like controversy?

Have a better one for ya.....

Do you think it's bad etiquette to start threads that're sure to go nowhere but the recycling bin?
    That sounds like a good thread to start, but I don't want to do it since it was your idea.

mtbr member
    IMO, I partake, but I don't do it directly off the side of a trail. Look at it this way, your on a moutain bike, you're in the middle of da woods, there are plenty of places you and your mates can go find just off the trail that puts you out of sight, sound and smell of others on the trail. Cause not everyone wants to smoke, or is cool with it, so I have no problem with just doin it off the beaten path.

I personally used to smoke and ride all the time, but I found I just can't ride as well all Cheddard up, but after the ride, it sure feels nice to relax with.
    -Eric
    Keeping the hardtail dream alive, one ride at a time.

mtbr member
    I think good etiquette if you're gonna smoke up, is to do it before the ride in order to minimize the number of breaks during the ride. And there's nothing more entertaining than when someone, after such a break, rides away forgetting their camelback or helmet, etc. (Swear, I've never done this.)

Respect My trail!!
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by AnonymouseTech View Post
    If you don't share it then that would be considered poor etiquette. Don't forget to bring some Twinkies to munch on too.
    I've heard that Cheez-Its are less likely to get crushed in a hydration pack and make a gooey mess.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by danhasdrums View Post
    That sounds like a good thread to start, but I don't want to do it since it was your idea.
    You must be a polotician. You responded to the question in a way that shouln't offend me or anyone else with out actually giving an answer, LOL
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    I like this troll's ideas of smoking on the trail...
    Passion for Cigarettes (and bikes)

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    If i was still in high school i guess it would be cool. Since i'm not a child anymore i'lll leave the weed to the losers.

~Disc~Golf~
    ^^^ herp derp!
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by theMeat View Post
    You must be a polotician. You responded to the question in a way that shouln't offend me or anyone else with out actually giving an answer, LOL
    There was a question? Perhaps it's best to just consider the whole thing in the past... Vote for me and stuff. Thanks.

U sayin' Bolt ?
    If you eat a well infused cookie pre-ride you might just have an out-of-body experience,
    If you want to smoke on the trail , hike your bike 15+ yards into the bush and have a nap and something to eat ..

mikeb
    not everybody wants to smell our smoke...and the very thought of marijahoochie seems to drive some folks into a hate frenzy.

my advice to my fellow smokers is to be discreet.

Nickel Havr
    Find a nice out of the way spot... And pass it to me!
    Quote Originally Posted by William Blake
    Great things are done when men and mountains meet. This is not done by jostling in the street .

Bro Mountainbiker
    not poor etiquette. Gotta stay "safe"
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

DynoDon
    Four wheels transport the body,

Two wheels transport the soul !!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Sometimes I will head off trail to take care of business, so it's kinda like that.

Nickel Havr
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeb View Post
    and the very thought of marijahoochie seems to drive some folks into a hate frenzy.
    Tell me about it.... Some Beeeotch neg rep'd me for my previous post. They didn't even leave a name! Poosies!

Let me catch you on a trail....
    Quote Originally Posted by William Blake
    Great things are done when men and mountains meet. This is not done by jostling in the street .

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast