Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 601
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: darkslide18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,062

    Atheist Mountain Bikers?

    Any among us?

  2. #2
    MTP
    MTP is offline
    Nothing to see here
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    893
    I don't believe in you.
    If not biking, then what?

  3. #3
    the test dummy
    Reputation: insanitylevel9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    3,503
    ya i consider my self atheist but my family does christmas and what not so i just go along with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by craftworks750
    Riding a mtb is like a reset button, 10 mins in and there is nothing else in the world that matters.
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: misanthropist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    9
    Too controversial. Embrace nihilism instead.
    Oh, and I'd offer to ride with you... but who cares.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    77
    Count me in.

  6. #6
    Life is Good
    Reputation: Judd97's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,499
    Passion? Nope.
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live. ~Mark Twain

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: darkslide18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,062
    Quote Originally Posted by Judd97
    Passion? Nope.
    I agree. Is a thread about Jesus in context with MTBR passion? So, in my defense, if certain members can proclaim their passion for Jesus. I can proclaim my passion for my non belief. Wouldn't you say?

  8. #8
    is buachail foighneach me
    Reputation: sean salach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,868
    I'm passionately agnostic, a seeker of truth. I will say this though, putting your faith in science is no different than putting your faith in one or more deities. Atheism is as much a religious belief as anything else, in my opinion.

  9. #9
    Life is Good
    Reputation: Judd97's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,499
    Quote Originally Posted by darkslide18
    I agree. Is a thread about Jesus in context with MTBR passion? So, in my defense, if certain members can proclaim their passion for Jesus. I can proclaim my passion for my non belief. Wouldn't you say?
    So one thread of religious debate in a mountain bike passion forum isn't enough for you?
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live. ~Mark Twain

  10. #10
    lives to ride
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,035
    Certainly not a non-believer in mountain biking. Can't say I believe in God though...

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    87
    It doesn't matter to me at all, when people start talking religion I pedal harder so they can't talk anymore, part of being agnostic is not caring enough to engage people in conversation about it.

    Really I dn't care about the religion of my riding buddies. One in a mechanic and a devout cathloc. He can fix a broken bike. Another is super gay and sings a burlesque show as lady gaga. He happens to have the art of the post ride tailgate BBQ down to a science. The girl I ride with likes to show her boobies, she is some kind of religion I am not sure which and I don't care.

    If you cancel people out as riding partners over something as silly as religion you will miss out on help with repairs, BBQ and boobies.
    __________________________________________________ _
    I don't like carbon bikes becasue you can't put them in the camp fire.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Gasp4Air's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,272
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkle Bear
    It doesn't matter to me at all, when people start talking religion I pedal harder so they can't talk anymore, part of being agnostic is not caring enough to engage people in conversation about it.

    Really I dn't care about the religion of my riding buddies. One in a mechanic and a devout cathloc. He can fix a broken bike. Another is super gay and sings a burlesque show as lady gaga. He happens to have the art of the post ride tailgate BBQ down to a science. The girl I ride with likes to show her boobies, she is some kind of religion I am not sure which and I don't care.

    If you cancel people out as riding partners over something as silly as religion you will miss out on help with repairs, BBQ and boobies.
    +1
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    425
    The passion of the bike, not the passion of christ.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: skiahh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,534
    Anyone see the irony in the fact that atheism has become, for all intents and purposes, an religion unto itself?
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nuffink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    769
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh
    Anyone see the irony in the fact that atheism has become, for all intents and purposes, an religion unto itself?
    Hmm. It's a accusation thrown at atheism all the time by theists. It's almost as if they want to share the guilt.

  16. #16
    Stucco Bucket
    Reputation: the_owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,525
    Wrong section, but Ill ring in my thoughts.
    Do any of you atheists have a picture on your wall of "nothing" ? Do you spend your Sundays worshipping "nothing"?
    Do you thank "nothing" for your lifes treasures?

    I think its very insulting when atheists say insulting things about peoples beliefs. Its obviously very important to them

    Im also a non-believer in religion..

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    440
    Buddhist....

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    93
    I have an atheist friend, at least until 2 years ago when he was diagnosed with throat cancer. He told me he had never prayed before. After surgery and chemotherapy he is doing well.
    Only after death looks you in the eyes, will you know if you are a true atheist.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    310
    Faith in science is a misnomer.
    I trust the scientific method and peer review process to best describe natural phenomena.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nenbran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    676
    Quote Originally Posted by nuffink
    Hmm. It's a accusation thrown at atheism all the time by theists. It's almost as if they want to share the guilt.

    True that.

    Although, consider this...atheism is not about "not having a religion" (at least in my eyes). Atheism is about not believing in a god. It is a belief system, sure. That pretty much makes it a religion. But why do the semantics matter? Religion or no, atheism is simply a belief that there is no higher power. Labeling it as a "religion" does not reduce it in any way (although I myself do tire of our society's habit to label everything...).

    Enough rambling...I'm getting long-winded.

    P.S. Are those HeLa cells?

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nenbran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    676
    Oh, and for the record, I am an atheist mountain biker. Though ultimately, none of this really matters (that's the existentialist in me coming out ). In the end, it's all about riding, not what religion any of us are.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nuffink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    769
    Quote Originally Posted by Nenbran
    True that.

    Although, consider this...atheism is not about "not having a religion" (at least in my eyes). Atheism is about not believing in a god. It is a belief system, sure. That pretty much makes it a religion. But why do the semantics matter? Religion or no, atheism is simply a belief that there is no higher power. Labeling it as a "religion" does not reduce it in any way (although I myself do tire of our society's habit to label everything...).

    Enough rambling...I'm getting long-winded.

    P.S. Are those HeLa cells?
    I disagree slightly. I see atheism as a lack of belief in gods rather that what you describe which is a belief in a lack of gods. The former is a rational position, catch a god and show me it and I'll believe in it. The latter is a belief system and the the production of evidence wouldn't necessarily change it.

    They are indeed Telophase HeLa cells. Rather beautiful in slightly disturbing way.

  23. #23
    yeah, uh............bikes
    Reputation: FloridaFish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2,714
    Atheist, no, my logic and education in science does not allow such bold assertions. Nihilist, getting there, but i still believe in Life as a fundamental property of matter in our universe.

    This kind of stuff should be reserved for the pompous conversations of slightly drunk folk, not this sacred place of bike worship.

  24. #24
    Bicyclochondriac.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    13,178

    Apatheist here.

    Quote Originally Posted by darkslide18
    Any among us?
    Apatheist.

    I doubt God exists, but I don't care enough about it to label myself by my belief or non-belief.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

  25. #25
    Bicyclochondriac.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    13,178
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh
    Anyone see the irony in the fact that atheism has become, for all intents and purposes, an religion unto itself?
    I don't think that is really true, because there is a wide variety of beliefs regarding the nature of the universe among people who do not believe in God. You can't really group people together as a religion based solely on something they do not believe.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •