Atheist Mountain Bikers?

Any among us?

MTP
    Nothing to see here
    Mar 2004
    I don't believe in you.
    If not biking, then what?

the test dummy
    ya i consider my self atheist but my family does christmas and what not so i just go along with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by craftworks750
    Riding a mtb is like a reset button, 10 mins in and there is nothing else in the world that matters.
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

mtbr member
    Too controversial. Embrace nihilism instead.
    Oh, and I'd offer to ride with you... but who cares.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Count me in.

Life is Good
    Passion? Nope.
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live. ~Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Judd97
    Passion? Nope.
    I agree. Is a thread about Jesus in context with MTBR passion? So, in my defense, if certain members can proclaim their passion for Jesus. I can proclaim my passion for my non belief. Wouldn't you say?

is buachail foighneach me
    I'm passionately agnostic, a seeker of truth. I will say this though, putting your faith in science is no different than putting your faith in one or more deities. Atheism is as much a religious belief as anything else, in my opinion.

Life is Good
    Quote Originally Posted by darkslide18
    I agree. Is a thread about Jesus in context with MTBR passion? So, in my defense, if certain members can proclaim their passion for Jesus. I can proclaim my passion for my non belief. Wouldn't you say?
    So one thread of religious debate in a mountain bike passion forum isn't enough for you?

lives to ride
    Feb 2005
    Certainly not a non-believer in mountain biking. Can't say I believe in God though...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    It doesn't matter to me at all, when people start talking religion I pedal harder so they can't talk anymore, part of being agnostic is not caring enough to engage people in conversation about it.

Really I dn't care about the religion of my riding buddies. One in a mechanic and a devout cathloc. He can fix a broken bike. Another is super gay and sings a burlesque show as lady gaga. He happens to have the art of the post ride tailgate BBQ down to a science. The girl I ride with likes to show her boobies, she is some kind of religion I am not sure which and I don't care.

If you cancel people out as riding partners over something as silly as religion you will miss out on help with repairs, BBQ and boobies.
    __________________________________________________ _
    I don't like carbon bikes becasue you can't put them in the camp fire.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkle Bear
    It doesn't matter to me at all, when people start talking religion I pedal harder so they can't talk anymore, part of being agnostic is not caring enough to engage people in conversation about it.

Really I dn't care about the religion of my riding buddies. One in a mechanic and a devout cathloc. He can fix a broken bike. Another is super gay and sings a burlesque show as lady gaga. He happens to have the art of the post ride tailgate BBQ down to a science. The girl I ride with likes to show her boobies, she is some kind of religion I am not sure which and I don't care.

If you cancel people out as riding partners over something as silly as religion you will miss out on help with repairs, BBQ and boobies.
    +1
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    The passion of the bike, not the passion of christ.

mtbr member
    Anyone see the irony in the fact that atheism has become, for all intents and purposes, an religion unto itself?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh
    Anyone see the irony in the fact that atheism has become, for all intents and purposes, an religion unto itself?
    Hmm. It's a accusation thrown at atheism all the time by theists. It's almost as if they want to share the guilt.

Stucco Bucket
    Wrong section, but Ill ring in my thoughts.
    Do any of you atheists have a picture on your wall of "nothing" ? Do you spend your Sundays worshipping "nothing"?
    Do you thank "nothing" for your lifes treasures?

I think its very insulting when atheists say insulting things about peoples beliefs. Its obviously very important to them

Im also a non-believer in religion..

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Buddhist....

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I have an atheist friend, at least until 2 years ago when he was diagnosed with throat cancer. He told me he had never prayed before. After surgery and chemotherapy he is doing well.
    Only after death looks you in the eyes, will you know if you are a true atheist.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Faith in science is a misnomer.
    I trust the scientific method and peer review process to best describe natural phenomena.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nuffink
    Hmm. It's a accusation thrown at atheism all the time by theists. It's almost as if they want to share the guilt.

True that.

Although, consider this...atheism is not about "not having a religion" (at least in my eyes). Atheism is about not believing in a god. It is a belief system, sure. That pretty much makes it a religion. But why do the semantics matter? Religion or no, atheism is simply a belief that there is no higher power. Labeling it as a "religion" does not reduce it in any way (although I myself do tire of our society's habit to label everything...).

Enough rambling...I'm getting long-winded.

P.S. Are those HeLa cells?

mtbr member
    Oh, and for the record, I am an atheist mountain biker. Though ultimately, none of this really matters (that's the existentialist in me coming out ). In the end, it's all about riding, not what religion any of us are.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nenbran
    True that.

Although, consider this...atheism is not about "not having a religion" (at least in my eyes). Atheism is about not believing in a god. It is a belief system, sure. That pretty much makes it a religion. But why do the semantics matter? Religion or no, atheism is simply a belief that there is no higher power. Labeling it as a "religion" does not reduce it in any way (although I myself do tire of our society's habit to label everything...).

Enough rambling...I'm getting long-winded.

P.S. Are those HeLa cells?
    I disagree slightly. I see atheism as a lack of belief in gods rather that what you describe which is a belief in a lack of gods. The former is a rational position, catch a god and show me it and I'll believe in it. The latter is a belief system and the the production of evidence wouldn't necessarily change it.

They are indeed Telophase HeLa cells. Rather beautiful in slightly disturbing way.

yeah, uh............bikes
    Atheist, no, my logic and education in science does not allow such bold assertions. Nihilist, getting there, but i still believe in Life as a fundamental property of matter in our universe.

This kind of stuff should be reserved for the pompous conversations of slightly drunk folk, not this sacred place of bike worship.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004

Apatheist here.

Any among us?
    Apatheist.

I doubt God exists, but I don't care enough about it to label myself by my belief or non-belief.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    I don't think that is really true, because there is a wide variety of beliefs regarding the nature of the universe among people who do not believe in God. You can't really group people together as a religion based solely on something they do not believe.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Perhaps, but if you're attempting to put me in that category, you're off base. I won't say which persuasion I am, but I do watch those that are hard core believers in atheism suing to get their beliefs represented and/or accepted. I see the billboards they pay for and I see the attempts to "convert" religious people by attempting to make their beliefs look foolish... much like religious types do when proselytizing.

That, in my book, is irony. It has nothing to do with sharing any guilt or anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by kapusta
    You can't really group people together as a religion based solely on something they do not believe.
    Agreed (unless they define or group themselves based on their belief or lack thereof). But you can based on how they act!

No longer a hardtailkid.
    Three things you really shouldn't bring up to people you don't know, in order:
    1.) Religon
    2.) Politics
    3.) Sex
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonys
    Its still just the push of a button away...
    I am no longer a hardtailkid. 2012 Trek Remedy 9!

puts the FU in fun
    I'm just not religious. If you are, cool. If not, cool. I'm gonna go eat gummie bears now...
    Everything in moderation. Including moderation.

mtbr member
    I believe in the Intelligent Design of the White Industries freehub...................

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I chuckled at the "oposing" thread also...I guess I'll voice what I only had thougts to when I saw it. This thread is going to lead to no good and go nowhere 'cept down.

The internet forums started out as a great place for the scattering of humanity to congregate and exchange thoughts and ideas but like real life there are certain things that it simply doesnt do well at all and religion (or lack there of) is the biggest one of all.

What I believe or dont doesnt matter here but I'll say this: If Jesus rode a bycycle it'll be a chinese made one..

Okay, who's gonna start the sex thread? whos gettin some versus whos gettin none?

banned
    Any among us?
    you really started this thread here? on empty beer? go make me a vegan muffin.

rancherbiker
    "I don't believe in you." that's funny!
    Riding to stay young

Cthulhu fhtagn
    religion is the root of all evil.
    Specialized HardRock 29er
    Nashbar 29er SS

rancherbiker
    religious people have certainly caused their share of problems.
    Riding to stay young

Bunny Hugger
    I used to be a big "Origin of a Species" thumping type. I have not grown fonder of believing in a higher being. I just don't care as much whether one believes or doesn't believe as long as one doesn't push it on another.
    Hug the Bunny

the test dummy
    Quote Originally Posted by crashdang
    I just don't care as much whether one believes or doesn't believe as long as one doesn't push it on another.
    +5 million end of thread
    Riding a mtb is like a reset button, 10 mins in and there is nothing else in the world that matters.
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

That's damn yankee to you
    Aug 2008
    1.Atheist
    2.Democrat
    3. Yes please.
    Quote Originally Posted by Impy
    You know....... whatever bike they are riding, assure them its the biggest bike of any guy you have ever ridden with.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gager
    "Money is the root of all evil."
    In context: "For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows." (1 Timothy 6:10) KJV (The King James Bible)

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    He sees you when you're sleeping. He knows when you're awake. He knows when you've been bad or good. If you don't for goodness sake! D'oh wrong guy!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Its kind of like beer and tacos after a long ride. I dont know why its so good, but it is. So is a life with the Lord.
    I lived for many years content that God had no place in my life or anyone else's. If you tried to shove some sort of organized religion down my throat you had better be ready for fight. Religion was always stained with blood, greed, or something worse. Then I discovered its not "a religion" thats important, its just having Faith and a Belief. On that day I changed for the better.
    At some point in your life you will come face to face with God. You can open your heart or walk away, its up to you. Some say you dont see the Lord till you see death. It took seeing life for me.
    I treat the atheists in my life the same way I do Christians. I dont force my beliefs on anyone or look down on those with different views than mine. How about you? Go ahead and flame us believers. But before you do, look in your heart and tell me if its a happy place.

I ride with a recovered meth addict and recovered alcoholic. Years ago if you crossed us, we might have shoved your teeth down your throat. Now, after finding the Lord, we are the guys who will show up at your house after the flood or stop to pull your mom out of the ditch. I for one will stand up for Jesus!

rancherbiker

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by crashdang
    I used to be a big "Origin of a Species" thumping type. I have not grown fonder of believing in a higher being. I just don't care as much whether one believes or doesn't believe as long as one doesn't push it on another.
    I hear ya. I used to be the other extreme. I'm not the Bible thumping turd I used to be back in college.
    Riding to stay young

the test dummy
    ...unsubscribed
    P.S. not directed at intheweeds, just don't like flame wars
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

Paste eater
    I thought religion was a fairy tale until i moved to the South....
    Now i know it is

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I dont like wars. I like my bike, my kids, my wife, and my PBR. We are not that different.

rancherbiker
    I like that one. "riding a mtb is like a reset button..." I have to totally agree. It's great stress relief and a great workout and great scenery. thanks for the reminder insanitylevel9!
    Riding to stay young

the test dummy
    Quote Originally Posted by jdlmodelt
    I like that one. "riding a mtb is like a reset button..." I have to totally agree. It's great stress relief and a great workout and great scenery. thanks for the reminder insanitylevel9!
    re subscribed... isnt that the reason we all ride
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

rancherbiker
    and it seems like having just one bike isn't quite enough. I've got 2 hard tails and one full suspension, and then my carbon road bike. I still get excited when I walk into a bike shop and smell the smells and see the sights. I'm finally pretty happy with my rides. I've put my kids 11 and 12.5 on some decent small framed 26ers. They saw the immediate difference when they switched over from the Walmart bikes. My daughter sports a sweet 02 Yellow Specialized DH with some matching black and yellow tires and my son is sporting an old 98 Homegrown with a pair of red and black panaracers. I'm trying hard to get them into the cycling and keep them in it. It's not for lack of putting them on a pair of fun bikes. Have a great evening and a happy new year insanitylevel9.
    James
    Riding to stay young

the test dummy
    Quote Originally Posted by jdlmodelt
    ]Have a great evening and a happy new year insanitylevel9.
    James
    you to man
    BTW my names ben
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

rancherbiker
    Nice to meet ya Ben, Keep in touch.
    james
    Riding to stay young

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Right now I think Jesus, Budha, Mohammed and Abraham are all out together somewhere on some sweet single track laughing their as***s off at this thread.......

mtbr member
    yep me too (Atheist). Science rules. The burden of proof seems to be only on those who understand it. Check out a Kirk Cameron Creationist debate... blank stares abound

is buachail foighneach me
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellav8ted
    Faith in science is a misnomer.
    I trust the scientific method and peer review process to best describe natural phenomena.

Aren't 'trust' and 'faith' pretty similar, if not the same, in that context? Most people who follow a religion centered around a book or books simply trust(have faith that) those books best describe natural (and supernatural) phenomena. Science 'makes sense' to you, the Koran, Bible, etc 'make sense' for those that follow them.

And on a lighter note, what's more blasphemous, the thread up to this point, or the following photo:

ballbuster
    We are all in pods, with a virtual reality simulated world, to keep us entertained and out of trouble, so our bodies can continue to provide energy for the machines.

mtbr member
    I disagree slightly. I see atheism as a lack of belief in gods rather that what you describe which is a belief in a lack of gods. The former is a rational position, catch a god and show me it and I'll believe in it. The latter is a belief system and the the production of evidence wouldn't necessarily change it.

They are indeed Telophase HeLa cells. Rather beautiful in slightly disturbing way.
    Fair 'nuff.

Indeed they are. Such irony in the biological world, no?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by intheweeds
    Its kind of like beer and tacos after a long ride. I dont know why its so good, but it is. So is a life with the Lord.
    I lived for many years content that God had no place in my life or anyone else's. If you tried to shove some sort of organized religion down my throat you had better be ready for fight. Religion was always stained with blood, greed, or something worse. Then I discovered its not "a religion" thats important, its just having Faith and a Belief. On that day I changed for the better.
    At some point in your life you will come face to face with God. You can open your heart or walk away, its up to you. Some say you dont see the Lord till you see death. It took seeing life for me.
    I treat the atheists in my life the same way I do Christians. I dont force my beliefs on anyone or look down on those with different views than mine. How about you? Go ahead and flame us believers. But before you do, look in your heart and tell me if its a happy place.

I ride with a recovered meth addict and recovered alcoholic. Years ago if you crossed us, we might have shoved your teeth down your throat. Now, after finding the Lord, we are the guys who will show up at your house after the flood or stop to pull your mom out of the ditch. I for one will stand up for Jesus!
    I'm glad you won't force your beliefs down my throat. I appreciate that. However...

1. Don't be so defensive from the get-go.
    2. I look in my "heart" all the time (I'm in introspective person and I examine my mind a lot) and I am just fine. I am no worse than I was when I was Catholic. If anything, I feel more motivated to make this life count.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Assume God exists...where do you think he/she would want you on a Sunday morning?...in a building listening to some poser preaching and passing a hub cap around or out on the mountain enjoying what he/she created? Now assume God doesn't exist...where you going Sunday?

starladear
    Feb 2004
    [QUOTE=intheweeds]Its kind of like beer and tacos after a long ride. I dont know why its so good, but it is. So is a life with the Lord.

I ride with a recovered meth addict and recovered alcoholic. Years ago if you crossed us, we might have shoved your teeth down your throat. Now, after finding the Lord, we are the guys who will show up at your house after the flood or stop to pull your mom out of the ditch. I for one will stand up for Jesus![/QUOTE

I'd bet you'd stand up for Jesus, by shoving someones teeth down their throat! Stay classy bud. Most of us just find it in our hearts to do good without needing the bible. It's inherently human unless you're just a dick all your life. And then you need to be saved I guess. Purity begs..

Double-metric mtb man
    Dang...Didn't MTBR get rid of the PoSER forum?

The faith (or lack thereof) of someone who rides is only relevant when talking about a limited part of the social aspects. Otherwise, it has about as much play as the color of the rider's bike or whether they carry 4 patches or five.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by TRIUMPH KID
    I have an atheist friend, at least until 2 years ago when he was diagnosed with throat cancer. He told me he had never prayed before. After surgery and chemotherapy he is doing well.
    Only after death looks you in the eyes, will you know if you are a true atheist.
    I agree to a point as both my parents became more 'religious' when faced with death, but the fact that your friend had the same experience tells me that he was not firm in any belief, not that prayer to a god saved him. You win some you lose some. Relax and go down easy...

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Here's a joke that I read several years ago:

An atheist is out fishing in a lake. All of a sudden he and his boat are violently flung into the air by the Lochness Monster. As he is falling towards the mouth of the Lochness Monster, the atheist starts screaming "Oh God. Help! Please help me God. Help me. I don't want to die. Oh my God!" As he's yelling this, everything freezes. The atheist is inches from being eaten by the monster. He hears a voice. "This is God. I just have one question: Why after all of these years of not believing in me do you seek my help when you are in the face of death?" The atheist replies "****! I didn't believe in the ****in' Lochness Monster either!"

Oh...and I'm not bashing atheists either or taking the side of those of faith. Believe or don't believe in what you want. I know what I believe in and what my loved ones believe. That's all that matters to me.

mtbr member
    People believe all sorts of things, often because it makes them feel good. Up to a point, I don't care what you believe - I care about what you DO. Religiosity has little to do with goodness. Believers and non-believers do horrible things. Believers and non-believers make saintly sacrifices. Judge me by my behavior, because that's what counts.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

Binned
    Nov 2008
    All I can say is this:

Religions are flawed. Governments are flawed. Humans are flawed.

We are all made up of the same DNA, yet since we chose to have such stregnths in different beliefs, wars begin.

The biggest evolutionary mistake this planet has ever had is humans. We infest, we destroy. We are too smart to live in unison with Nature, as animals do.

I do believe in spiritualism, though. It is the very basis of our souls.

banned
    The girl I ride with likes to show her boobies, she is some kind of religion I am not sure which and I don't care.

Where EXACTLY do you ride and what time should I be there?

Evolutionsverlierer
    I think greed is a bigger problem.

Quote Originally Posted by cruso414
    Where EXACTLY do you ride and what time should I be there?
    You might want to ask for a pic of the girl first.

mtbr member
    There's just enough religion in the world for hatred but not enough of it for love, eh? me? my bike is my church which is part of the Order of Everyday Recreationalists.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by intheweeds

And that right there is one reason I choose not to believe in your God. Besides the complete and utter lack of evidence for his existence. Your condescension is unbelievable. You assume as a non believer I am unhappy. Also, how you equate being a believer with doing good deeds.

Genius
    I Do Not Believe In This Thread;

Prove To Me It Exists.
    "I think im gonna go to walmart and look at the mountain bikes and see if i can salvage the rear frame."- Nick_Knipp 3/21/12

Binned
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 6bobby9

Prove To Me It Exists.
    LMFAO!

I do not believe that you exist, prove it to me, LOL!!!

This is silly...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 6bobby9

Prove To Me It Exists.
    it doesn't, brother. try this...pedal your bike seated really fast then instantly lift your feet off the pedals and say "wwwwwhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeeeeee....!!!!" or a reasonable facsimile thereof and all will be well.

switchback sculptor
    I prefer not to be called an atheist, agnostic, or unbeliever.
    Instead, call me a azzhole, because I read more than one book in my search for knowledge.

Religion is a crutch for those who lack the capacity to judge right from wrong.
    Religion is a tool for controlling those who are too inept to govern themselves.
    Religion is a method for homogenizing ideas and free thought.
    Religion is the excuse for most of the worlds wars.
    Religion is the real evil.

I embrace everyone, regardless of their beliefs, but I have no tolerance for people trying to convert me to theirs.

"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates
    Last edited by erosive; 12-28-2010 at 08:18 AM.

Bandolero

This site is blocked

Any among us?
    My god wants me to ride.
    Slow-core. -.. .-. .. -. -.- .... --- -- . -... .-. . .--

mtbr member
    I was raised fairly religious, and attended Christian schools most of my life. Then, through the aid of punk rock and double majoring in Biology and Philosophy in college, (and then going on to grad. school) the possibility that the tenets of any major religion are true seems ridiculous to me. Furthermore, I cannot bring myself to believe in god, even if I wanted to. It is completely impossible for me to believe in something with no empirical evidence to substantiate it. Period. I think a thorough understanding of the natural world has a huge part to play in this; where others look around and may see the "beauty of god's creation" I see eons of geologic time and biological evolution. And it's no less amazing or breathtaking . I think without my ecological and evolutionary education however, I may not be able to grasp or appreciate a lot of these concepts.

I never called myself an atheist until the last few years, however. To be logically thorough, I have no evidence that god does not exist either, so why would I or anyone else label themselves as an atheist?

Multiple reasons:

1. Salvationist religions inherently diminish the intrinsic importance and beauty of this world, and this life (the only one that exists). By constantly referencing a perfect realm we will get to one day if we do x y and z, it makes life seem "less than". Christianity is littered with this type of speech. I was at a church service Christmas eve (for family and traditions sake) and the pastor was going on about how the earth was bleak, dismal, and hopeless before Jesus arrived, same stuff shoved down my throat since I could talk. Pretty cynical view of life, isn't it? To associate oneself with atheism is the antithesis of this. The here and now is sacred.

2. Atheism is looked at as tantamount to worshipping satan by most people in this country. Atheists are viewed as immoral, and since they have no belief in supernatural punishment or reward (heaven/hell) they can't be trusted. I think its important to have examples of self-identified atheists who are good, morally sound, intelligent, and conscienscious members of society and community. Thats the only way that the negative stigma can be removed. I strive to be an example of that, and another reason I embrace the label.

3. Its commonly believed that atheists believe in nothing, that life has no purpose with god out of the equation. Well first off, if there is no fixed human nature and no purpose derived from god, then we're free to create ourselves as a human society as we see fit, and to define for ourselves what is good and meaningful and right. Think about that. Isn't that amazing? If god doesn't exist, then no matter how bad anything is at any given time, we have the power and the potential as humans, as creators, to change things for the better. We have no destiny other than what we ourselves define. I think that's a very, very, positive and hopeful way of looking at the world. Nietzsche did too.

4. This is, I think the biggest reason to embrace atheism as a label, kind of going back to the first point a bit: If no heaven exists, if we declare that when you die, its over, then every instant alive is sacred and every living member of this planet has the same right to those instances of sacredness (life) as every other one. I believe that life is so much more brighter and beautiful simply due to the fact that to me as a subject experiencing it, it's limited, and will never come again. Every day is important, every friend you make is important, every family member you have is important, there is no reset button, no paradise in the sky waiting, this is ****ing it man, and you better realize this and make it something of substance. Life is beautiful and sacred and amazing. And I honestly think that coming to the logical acceptance that there is no god or afterlife, drives this point home with finality.

I'm happy. I'm the happiest I've ever been at any point in my life. And I define my own purpose, and my own meaning in my life. Life is great. And I'm an atheist.

mtbr member
    I see political and religious debates the same way Joshua from WarGames sees Tic-Tac-Toe. The only way to win is not to play.
    "I like skinny jeans. Sometimes I wear them to the mall to get an Orange Julius." -Chim Chim

switchback sculptor
    ^^very well put.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I don't really care what other people believe, but the problem I do have is with the hypocracy of the Catholic Church (and other organized religions which I'm not quite as familiar with). I was raised Catholic Christian and then when I finally grew up and realized all the hate that festered in a religion that claimed to be so loving, it quickly disgusted me.

I would say I'm agnostic. Don't really know what's out there, but I try to live my life as though someone's watching me even though I think there probably isn't anyone watching.

I say screw evil, organized religion and just live by the golden rule. Don't spread your religious beliefs, but on the other hand just remind people of how they would like to be treated.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    I see evidence of a higher power at work in the beauty of nature, but that could be a by-product of the LSD in high school and college.

I was raised in a catholic household that, unfortunately, learned the hard way that Jesus does not save and neither does the church that expects their donation envelopes every week without exception for hard times. No one in my family "practices" their faith any more, they just do it in their own ways.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    money is the root of all evil and I have NEVER walked into a church or temple of any kind that isn't asking for donations.
    your faith doesn't require a building, but those at the front of the building can destroy your faith.
    I don't need a formalized religion to believe in, I believe in myself, and when that belief fails, I know I'm the only one I can count on.
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mudforlunch
    I was raised fairly religious, and attended Christian schools most of my life. Then, through the aid of punk rock and double majoring in Biology and Philosophy in college, (and then going on to grad. school) the possibility that the tenets of any major religion are true seems ridiculous to me. Furthermore, I cannot bring myself to believe in god, even if I wanted to. It is completely impossible for me to believe in something with no empirical evidence to substantiate it. Period. I think a thorough understanding of the natural world has a huge part to play in this; where others look around and may see the "beauty of god's creation" I see eons of geologic time and biological evolution. And it's no less amazing or breathtaking . I think without my ecological and evolutionary education however, I may not be able to grasp or appreciate a lot of these concepts.

I never called myself an atheist until the last few years, however. To be logically thorough, I have no evidence that god does not exist either, so why would I or anyone else label themselves as an atheist?

Multiple reasons:

1. Salvationist religions inherently diminish the intrinsic importance and beauty of this world, and this life (the only one that exists). By constantly referencing a perfect realm we will get to one day if we do x y and z, it makes life seem "less than". Christianity is littered with this type of speech. I was at a church service Christmas eve (for family and traditions sake) and the pastor was going on about how the earth was bleak, dismal, and hopeless before Jesus arrived, same stuff shoved down my throat since I could talk. Pretty cynical view of life, isn't it? To associate oneself with atheism is the antithesis of this. The here and now is sacred.

2. Atheism is looked at as tantamount to worshipping satan by most people in this country. Atheists are viewed as immoral, and since they have no belief in supernatural punishment or reward (heaven/hell) they can't be trusted. I think its important to have examples of self-identified atheists who are good, morally sound, intelligent, and conscienscious members of society and community. Thats the only way that the negative stigma can be removed. I strive to be an example of that, and another reason I embrace the label.

3. Its commonly believed that atheists believe in nothing, that life has no purpose with god out of the equation. Well first off, if there is no fixed human nature and no purpose derived from god, then we're free to create ourselves as a human society as we see fit, and to define for ourselves what is good and meaningful and right. Think about that. Isn't that amazing? If god doesn't exist, then no matter how bad anything is at any given time, we have the power and the potential as humans, as creators, to change things for the better. We have no destiny other than what we ourselves define. I think that's a very, very, positive and hopeful way of looking at the world. Nietzsche did too.

4. This is, I think the biggest reason to embrace atheism as a label, kind of going back to the first point a bit: If no heaven exists, if we declare that when you die, its over, then every instant alive is sacred and every living member of this planet has the same right to those instances of sacredness (life) as every other one. I believe that life is so much more brighter and beautiful simply due to the fact that to me as a subject experiencing it, it's limited, and will never come again. Every day is important, every friend you make is important, every family member you have is important, there is no reset button, no paradise in the sky waiting, this is ****ing it man, and you better realize this and make it something of substance. Life is beautiful and sacred and amazing. And I honestly think that coming to the logical acceptance that there is no god or afterlife, drives this point home with finality.

I'm happy. I'm the happiest I've ever been at any point in my life. And I define my own purpose, and my own meaning in my life. Life is great. And I'm an atheist.
    Very well put.

Smarter Than He Looks
    Quote Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg
    All I can say is this:

The biggest evolutionary mistake this planet has ever had is humans. We infest, we destroy. We are too smart to live in unison with Nature, as animals do.

How does a random process make a mistake?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Way,way to much suffering and pain in this world for me to believe in god.Is he really that twisted if he does exist.

Awesome! Totally awesome!
    Jan 2004
    If God exists, "H/he's" one manic depressive S.O.B.

If so, I thank "H/him" for the beauty I see in the world, but I thank science for my understanding, appreciation, and awe of it.

Personally, I think the big "fella" upstairs would give all agnostic/athiests a big "you're doing it right."
    "Gimme a pack of 'low birth weights.'"

mtbr member

In no way is not caring inherent in agnosticism.

Believing in scientific testing where multiple objective parties can come to the same conclusion is NOT the same as putting faith in a centuries old document with no objective proof.

I wouldn't care what other people believe except that it is nearly universal that part of practicing a given religion/faith requires that believers convert others. I am especially troubled by childhood indoctrination and the demeaning of people "needing to be saved."

Finally, its important to note (to paraphrase Richard Dawkins) we're all atheists about the vast majority of gods, some of us just go one god further.
    http://htfuaaron.blogspot.com
    2012 Niner Air 9 SS
    2011 Crux
    2012 Crux SS

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinker
    How does a random process make a mistake?
    I'm not sure, but since evolution isn't random is it really relevant?
    2012 Niner Air 9 SS
    2011 Crux
    2012 Crux SS

mtbr member
    There's a reason why the political/religion subforum was closed on this site.

This thread = FAIL

mtbr member
    if this thread were a trail it would blow ass and be closed due to heavy erosion.

Life is Good
    Quote Originally Posted by htfu_aaron
    I'm not sure, but since evolution isn't random is it really relevant?
    Evolution is about as random as it gets.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by salimoneus
    There's a reason why the political/religion subforum was closed on this site.

This thread = FAIL
    This post = FAIL.

likes to ride bikes
    Science isn't a belief system, it's the opposite of that. Are there limitations to the extent of scientific inquiry? Sure, and they're especially relative to the limitations of technology at the time. Those limitations tend to lessen over history as the control that organized religion exercises has lessened, fundamentalist atavisms notwithstanding. Better science begets better science, whereas one Old Testament paternalist just begats another.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    but I do watch those that are hard core believers in atheism suing to get their beliefs represented and/or accepted. I see the billboards they pay for and I see the attempts to "convert" religious people by attempting to make their beliefs look foolish... much like religious types do when proselytizing.
    Orly?

Recent trip in Ohio on I-71. That's the second billboard.

The jebus statue on I-75 in Ohio. It just burnt down

Right on I-68 in Maryland: http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/10061

In Ky: http://creationmuseum.org/

And to expand on that: http://www.examiner.com/creationism-...moving-forward

All through WV here you can see 2 blue crosses and 1 gold cross right in the middle of them. These are easily visible from the interstates here.

and so on. I know there are athiest billboards out there but they're pretty rare. and when they do pop up, the jebus lovers go batsh1t and do everything they can to get them removed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Atheist Mountain Bikers?-ten.jpg  

Atheist Mountain Bikers?-kingfount.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Judd97
    Evolution is about as random as it gets.
    Genetic variation is random, evolution itself is not.
    2012 Niner Air 9 SS
    2011 Crux
    2012 Crux SS

mtbr member
    Any among us?
    Is your life really so empty that it matters to you?

Go and have a ride, you'll feel better.

El Gato Malo
    Quote Originally Posted by osmarandsara
    Right now I think Jesus, Budha, Mohammed and Abraham are all out together somewhere on some sweet single track laughing their as***s off at this thread.......
    flats or clipped in?

BMW 2002, Dodge A100, etc
    People aren't perfect, God is Perfect 100% of the time, how can we (as his children) get close to God, where is the reconciliation? Can't get to Heaven by being good, only by God's grace will your soul be saved. Jesus is the understanding advocate for humanity, Son of Man, Son of God. Jesus came to save the world, not to condemn it. We're like bad dogs that deserve to be punished after messing the carpet, but by our 'Master/Lords' grace are we let back inside. Confess your sins, come back home --->

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sean salach
    Aren't 'trust' and 'faith' pretty similar, if not the same, in that context? Most people who follow a religion centered around a book or books simply trust(have faith that) those books best describe natural (and supernatural) phenomena. Science 'makes sense' to you, the Koran, Bible, etc 'make sense' for those that follow them.
    But the big difference here is that even when these books are proven wrong and full of contradictions putting faith into turmoil, many of the faithful fill rally behind these books and try to declare them as facts. Creationism (sp?)is a great example. Despite the overwhelming evidence that supports evolution, many bible thumpers stand behind the "good book" and literally believe that the earth was created in six days or try to explain away the differences to back up their faith.

For me, trust is using the information at hand to make an informed decision. I trust the doctor because he's studied medicine. I trust the electrician because he's studied the NEC and done electrical work for some time. I don't trust books written, not by the apostles but by individuals who had no direct connections to the events of Jesus as described in the bible. This is considered hearsay in the courts so why should I trust it. This is where faith comes in. Same goes for the quran

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fix the Spade
    Is your life really so empty that it matters to you?

Go and have a ride, you'll feel better.
    Is your life so empty that you project onto me and assume mine is empty for merely asking a question? Here is an idea. If you find the subject matter of this thread to be beyond what you care to discuss, then do not discuss it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pimpride
    People aren't perfect, God is Perfect 100% of the time, how can we (as his children) get close to God, where is the reconciliation? Can't get to Heaven by being good, only by God's grace will your soul be saved. Jesus is the understanding advocate for humanity, Son of Man, Son of God. Jesus came to save the world, not to condemn it. We're like bad dogs that deserve to be punished after messing the carpet, but by our 'Master/Lords' grace are we let back inside. Confess your sins, come back home --->

One question. How could an infallible being create something that is imperfect? If God is pefect 100% of the time, how was he able to create man, who is FAR from perfect?

banned
    Organized religion is the original sin.

On wuss patrol
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail6
    flats or clipped in?
    Rigid SS
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

rides with camera
    Seems like this spilled over from F88me . It wont be long before this is locked and thrown in the recycle bin .
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

Keep The Rubber Side Down
    As I wasted 30min of my life, that I'll never get back, reading this post one question kept coming up in my mind: "So, does this mean that you'll never ride with someone who is not an Atheist? Catholic? Agnistic? Buddist? Scientologist? believes in creationism? etc?"

I have to second what "Fix the Spade" said: Go ride your bike, you'll feel much better.
    Some of my happiest memories in life took place on my bicycles. - Me

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0