Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ~Reformed Mechanic~

Anyone think this Rep System is Messed up?

Im just saying....

Ive got 20+ Pos and 6 Neg but im in the negative... What gives?

High Desert MTBer
    I think the whole system is messed up, and I do not see the point anyway. It is a skewed indicator at the best of times, and gives people the opportunity to anonymously insult if you venture anything like an honest opinion that might not gel with what they think. Overall I believe it is a childish and pointless addition that just detracts from the experience here. I think if people have something to say, good or bad, about a post, they should do it in the text replies. I would not worry about it, I try not to.
    It's all Here. Now.

All fat, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    I think the whole system is messed up, and I do not see the point anyway. It is a skewed indicator at the best of times, and gives people the opportunity to anonymously insult if you venture anything like an honest opinion that might not gel with what they think. Overall I believe it is a childish and pointless addition that just detracts from the experience here. I think if people have something to say, good or bad, about a post, they should do it in the text replies. I would not worry about it, I try not to.

Remember, it's just an internet forum. Try to be helpful and nice, thats all we can do.

What?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post

Remember, it's just an internet forum. Try to be helpful and nice, thats all we can do.
    X2 Don't worry about your rep. If you post positive and informative information, you will have good rep. There will always be the random people who abuse the negative rep feature, but they cant keep doing it to you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace5high View Post
    Im just saying....

That has to do with the Rep Power of the people that gave you rep points.
    The people that gave you negative reps had higher rep power ratings than the people that positive repped you.
    You currently have a rep power rating of zero. If you repped somebody, it would do nothing to their reputation, regardless of if you gave them +rep or -rep.
    No matter how much you play nice and candy coat things, people are still going to -rep you occaisionally. Hopefully you just don't get -repped by people with high rep power ratings
    Its all ****s and Giggles until somebody Giggles and ****s

High Desert MTBer
    Like I said, stupid... +1 to the concept of keeping it honest and positive. Personally I have never given any rep, I prefer to make my remarks in 'public'.
    It's all Here. Now.

Mountain Man Dan
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    +3

At least sign your name with negative rep so I can negative rep your @ss back.
    The bike is nothing more then circles turning circles, It's the human motor that makes it elegant.

banned
    In before this thread hits the 'bin...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    The people that gave you negative reps had higher rep power ratings than the people that positive repped you.
    You currently have a rep power rating of zero. If you repped somebody, it would do nothing to their reputation, regardless of if you gave them +rep or -rep.
    No matter how much you play nice and candy coat things, people are still going to -rep you occaisionally. Hopefully you just don't get -repped by people with high rep power ratings
    So if I bad rep you, I can suk some of your power into my rep power and rep people like a mad powerfull repping repper. Like kryptonite. I will be reveered by all mankind.

Too much coffee.

banned
    Sep 2010
    Im just saying....

No flaming but your "Canzo" thread among others proved to be fairly devisive which probably netted you a fair amount of attention. If you don't want neg rep, then I would suggest an approach that seemed less like trolling.

mtbr member
    Only positive repping should be allowed.
    CRAMBA Chairman

Bicycle Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by floydlippencott View Post
    No flaming but your "Canzo" thread among others proved to be fairly devisive which probably netted you a fair amount of attention. If you don't want neg rep, then I would suggest an approach that seemed less like trolling.
    Dude seriously? Could you please drop it already? I read that thread, and the only person that's doing any trolling is you.
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by J3SSEB View Post
    Dude seriously? Could you please drop it already? I read that thread, and the only person that's doing any trolling is you.

This thread? Why not more Canzo 29ers?

That is a troll thread from the first post, and it isn't even a good one. To the op, from a troll to a troll, quityourbeachin.

mtbr member
    I find the whole neg rep thing kinda entertaining, including all the threads about it.. What I think would be cool, would be to display not just each person's total rep, but to also see how much positive vs negative rep they've got. It's good to see that people have thrown positive reps my way, but I've also got plenty of negatives, but that's fine too. I think if you're really speaking your mind you'll get your share of negatives.

I think the admins should just open it up for like 5 minutes on New Years Day, so that you could go back and see who all the peeps were that neg rep'd you. I could just imagine some kind of online Three Stooges-type pie fight occurring.

ps - I am boycotting the Farley Brother's Stooges movie!!

the half breed devil
    i tried to find my dead horse but the scavengers gnawed even the bones into dust...what the hell...bleached bones are no fun to flog at anyway...

Big B's Trails
    In b4 the bin
    I dig dirt!

mtbr member
    Scott O, the Three Stooges comment would have made orange juice come out of my nose.
    Luckily I had just finished it before I read that. You totally captured what would happen with that analogy.

mtbr member
    To the OP: I was thinking, you know, instead of *****ing about your plight in life (or on the internet in this case) you should embrace it. You do not have any good rep. You have bad rep. You are a bad boy.

Guys like me and Marpilli? We're the good kids. We do the right things, help old ladies cross the street, don't swear, get good grades, etc. But we're not gonna get the chicks. You are. You're the online equivalent of the guy who tells the teacher to f*&k off, cuts class, and smokes the pack of butts he stole from 7-11. Embrace it. You sir, are an internet bad boy.

banned
    ^^^ Ahahaha... I like the Three Stooges analogy. Except Moe would have to throw pies at 99 other people before he could re-throw another pie at Larry...

Edit: Curly and Moe, in your example...

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Click Here for Forum Rules

AZ
    banned
    What?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

the half breed devil
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott O View Post
    To the OP: I was thinking, you know, instead of *****ing about your plight in life (or on the internet in this case) you should embrace it. You do not have any good rep. You have bad rep. You are a bad boy.

Guys like me and Marpilli? We're the good kids. We do the right things, help old ladies cross the street, don't swear, get good grades, etc. But we're not gonna get the chicks. You are. You're the online equivalent of the guy who tells the teacher to f*&k off, cuts class, and smokes the pack of butts he stole from 7-11. Embrace it. You sir, are an internet bad boy.
    words cannot describe how horribly appalled i am at the very thought of "internet bad boys"...or how such a reputation-ruining label might eventually become attached to myself due to shameless admissions of my daily marijauana habit...

are there "internet crips"? "internet MS-13"? or maybe even "internet hells angels"?

the world wide web can be a dark and scary place. god in heaven help us all...

now, back to trying to determine where those damned scavengers buried my horse bones...i know they're around here somewhere...

bust a move
    I get both kinds. The only neg rep that left me p.o.'d was for posting a picture of some after ride food. Were they anti food or anti picture...otherwise I state my opinion and if someone disagrees to the point of neg. rep w/o a name...BFD

REP OFF

banned
    Name:  threadlocker02.jpg
Views: 493
Size:  69.1 KB

since 4/10/2009
    quitcher*****en

we all get neg rep. we all get pos rep. what does the rep do for us? it gives us a measure of feedback for what people think of how we post. some of it doesn't make any sense, true.

if only a few neg reps sent you negative and you've got a bunch of pos reps, that means you're saying stuff that newbies and not very active forum members like and that you're saying stuff that long-term and active forum members don't like. is that important to you? 'cause all it does is give or take away green chicklets and rep power points you can hand out to others or take away from others. if that's so important to you, then maybe the interwebs is not the right place for you.

mtbr member
    I think the admins should just open it up for like 5 minutes on New Years Day, so that you could go back and see who all the peeps were that neg rep'd you. I could just imagine some kind of online Three Stooges-type pie fight occurring.

I expect it'd be more like a riot at the State Prison for the Criminally Insane

And as for the new 3 Stooges movie - I saw the trailer, and me and my Stooge loving buds are planning to see it.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

Bro Mountainbiker
    One who never ever receives negative reps is both a tool and a sucker.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

banned
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    ^+1
    And those who give unsigned (-) rep are ball-less bastards.
    If you disagree with somebody's post or opinion, write something!
    If so peeved that you give (-) rep then at least have the nutsack to sign your damn name.

FYI - A Flying "W" is how one looks from behind while doing an endo.

ride more
    Mar 2007
    Who cares... As far as I can figure there is no "consequence" for having a negative reputation ? It's not like they kick you off or anything.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyin_W View Post
    ^+1
    If so peeved that you give (-) rep then at least have the nutsack to sign your damn name.

Quoted for truth.

#THELEGEND
    Seriously, who cares, what is this highschool?? I honestly think its a bunch of BS, like there isnt already enough pressure in life, now we've got to worry about being popular on forums??? Seriously MTBR your really not helping the issue, in some ways this could be looked at as Cyberbullying. If I'm not popular no one will like me and they'll think Im stupid or mean, when really all I want to do is fit in and be part of the popular crowd. This is a lawsuit waiting to happen, or worse some biker will end his life in deep depression over not being liked on the forums, hope it happens soon (the lawsuit part not the suicide thing) and MTBR gets a swift kick in the @ss for this crap!!!

Life is not a popularity contest!
    Last edited by Guy.Ford; 12-22-2011 at 10:39 AM.
    #THELEGEND #MAKE****HAPPEN

banned
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy.Ford View Post
    Seriously, who cares, what is this highschool?? I honestly think its a bunch of BS, like there isnt already enough pressure in life, now we've got to worry about being popular on forums??? Seriously MTBR your really not helping the issue, in some ways this could be looked at as Cyberbullying. If I'm not popular no one will like me and they'll think Im stupid or mean, when really all I want to do is fit in and be part of the popular crowd. This is a lawsuit waiting to happen, or worse some biker will end his life in deep depression over not being liked on the forums, hope it happens soon and MTBR gets a swift kick in the @ss for this crap!!!

Kill themselves, lawsuit, popular, cyberbully? Dude anyone who kills themselves over a MTB site has some deeply rooted molested by a priest kinda crap goin on. Depression, get some help for it and quit trying to validate your pathetic existance on the interweb. Two pennies.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Sure it's messed up, but you can give me rep if you want, LOL.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

Shekky, I found those horse parts you were looking for. They were under the rats ass I forgot to give out at some point.
    Scott O., the only reason you help old ladies across the street is to pick-pocket their purses as you are crossing. I'm onto your schemes dude.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

What?
    Seriously, who cares, what is this highschool?? I honestly think its a bunch of BS, like there isnt already enough pressure in life, now we've got to worry about being popular on forums??? Seriously MTBR your really not helping the issue, in some ways this could be looked at as Cyberbullying. If I'm not popular no one will like me and they'll think Im stupid or mean, when really all I want to do is fit in and be part of the popular crowd. This is a lawsuit waiting to happen, or worse some biker will end his life in deep depression over not being liked on the forums, hope it happens soon and MTBR gets a swift kick in the @ss for this crap!!!
    I think your reading too much into it. Look around, I have only seen one or two people with red chiclets under there name, and they were the ones trolling and starting stuff. The mtbr community is very positive overall and that is why most people had good rep.

These "I hate rep" threads are getting annoying. If you give good advice and dont troll, you will have positive rep. Its that easy.

Bro Mountainbiker
    No, Scott O is in it to win it if you know what I mean. I hear those ladies get pretty lonely at their nursing homes
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

#THELEGEND
    Quote Originally Posted by floydlippencott View Post
    Kill themselves, lawsuit, popular, cyberbully? Dude anyone who kills themselves over a MTB site has some deeply rooted molested by a priest kinda crap goin on. Depression, get some help for it and quit trying to validate your pathetic existance on the interweb. Two pennies.

WOW. Like I said personally, I dont give a *****. However, youd be surprised how serious depression can be and the things people will do because of it. These forums may seem trivial to you, but in a society where people are constantly being judged and held to standards that usually out reach there grasp, it can be quite damaging. We all seem to forget that just because something doesnt effect us directly, doesnt mean its trivial or shouldnt be taken seriously. But like most things, this is just another example of society telling people they're insignificant or a lesser person because you or I dont have these problems so something must be wrong with yourself if you do. When what really needs to happen is society needs to do is to pull there heads out of the sand, get over themselves, stop criticizing people for their issues and address the problem(s).
    #THELEGEND #MAKE****HAPPEN

Tool
    Quote Originally Posted by shekky View Post
    i tried to find my dead horse but the scavengers gnawed even the bones into dust...what the hell...bleached bones are no fun to flog at anyway...
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

AZ
    banned
    WOW. Like I said personally, I dont give a *****. However, youd be surprised how serious depression can be and the things people will do because of it. These forums may seem trivial to you, but in a society where people are constantly being judged and held to standards that usually out reach there grasp, it can be quite damaging. We all seem to forget that just because something doesnt effect us directly, doesnt mean its trivial or shouldnt be taken seriously. But like most things, this is just another example of society telling people they're insignificant or a lesser person because you or I dont have these problems so something must be wrong with yourself if you do. When what really needs to happen is society needs to do is to pull there heads out of the sand, get over themselves, stop criticizing people for their issues and address the problem(s).

So, by this reasoning the whole interweb forum interface needs to disappear to ensure that we do not drive someone to suicide? Or is it , we cannot criticize anyone for the same reasoning? Have we reached the point of being so PC that were going to shut down any type of interaction that may offend someone?

banned
    Jun 2007
    ^+1

Case in point, just got unsigned (-) rep for saying this ^.
    ---
    Dear Ball-less Bastard,
    May Santa bring you only coal.
    Charge Jimmy Choo shoes, and Coach bags on your 18% c-card.
    Leave wifey a note telling her just how much that last build cost.
    Ho, ho, ho... Merry Christmas!

AZ
    banned
    Case in point, just got unsigned (-) rep for saying this ^.
    ---
    Dear Ball-less Bastard,
    May Santa bring you only coal.
    Charge Jimmy Choo shoes, and Coach bags on your 18% c-card.
    Leave wifey a note telling her just how much that last build cost.
    Ho, ho, ho... Merry Christmas!

See, Santa knows stuff.

bust a move
    Maybe we need a rep poll

banned
    Sep 2010
    Tiny baby Jebus, you know you guy's that don't like here can alway's go back to watching Oprah.

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    I would definitely shoot you a POS rep for being the only one to address my OP! Except it wouldn't do you a darn bit of good!

banned

Happy Holidays!

AZ
    banned
    I would definitely shoot you a POS rep for being the only one to address my OP! Except it wouldn't do you a darn bit of good!

You do have one point, so it would be of use.

canuck
    I have lots of neg rep...

it's ok I know I'm a meany.

I try to give positive so we can all live happy with smiles and bunny's hopping around....

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Quote Originally Posted by mullen119 View Post
    X2 Don't worry about your rep. If you post positive and informative information, you will have good rep. There will always be the random people who abuse the negative rep feature, but they cant keep doing it to you.
    I post way more positive information than I do "Opinions". And lets face it, if you express any "opinion" on these forums your gonna get a lot of unsigned neg reps just because some disagree.

I agree that the system as a whole is not adding anything positive to this community, Here's why. The times you go out of your way to help people more often than not no one will ever take note of it. The times when you say anything that someone disagrees with, they are going to blast you with vulgar Neg Reps. Some may say "well they cannot keep neg repping you" but I disagree, here's why. Lets not be naive enough to think that the people who care enough to shoot you those offensive neg reps dont have several accounts on MTBR for that very purpose. I have series of neg reps with the exact same signatures 1 and 2 min apart to prove that theory.

Ive dealt with this before on forums Ive Mod'ed for and more often than not the rep system only detracts from the community for these reasons.

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    You do have one point, so it would be of use.
    I know, I spoke too soon, Already + rep'ed him

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    ...Lets not be naive enough to think that the people who care enough to shoot you those offensive neg reps dont have several accounts on MTBR for that very purpose. I have series of neg reps with the exact same signatures 1 and 2 min apart to prove that theory....
    I've perma-banned several people for that.

I'll look into your reps and see if a sock puppet is causing ya grief.

if so...they are gone.

EDIT: no you don't....just checked. I do not like wasting my time.
    Click Here for Forum Rules

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast