Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Nickel Havr

The anti carrying while MTB thread!

Ok... Some people wanted the right to free speech.
    I figured I would give them a more appropriate place to post the reasons and politics on why to NOT carry while riding.

This thread is not meant to provoke or troll anyone... Just to keep threads ON TOPIC!

Everyone deserves a place to voice their opinions so please keep it civil in here!

(I am pro carry but feel that the anti carry need a place too)

That is all... I'll stay outta your way!

Quote Originally Posted by William Blake
    Great things are done when men and mountains meet. This is not done by jostling in the street .

~Reformed Mechanic~

mtbr member
    There's really no point. I'm perfectly fine with gun owners and advocates and preserving their rights. However many of them seem to have these fantasies of "defending themselves" that sound like nonsense to me.

The idea that you are going to have to shoot another human being who is about to kill you for a couple bucks on a trail? Really? Where the hell do you ride? I've heard the stories of sketchy individuals on trails and all but extremely few where anyone was actually attacked. I've ridden systems with a rep for sketchy surroundings, but never had a single issue. My biggest pre-emptive step is not to leave cash or cards in my car. If someone tries to smash and grab, I've got insurance and they are usually looking for a quick cash or card to steal and that's it. Honestly it seems like that's the biggest danger at most trails from other humans, and it all happens at the trail head when no one is looking. Even if you did happen to confront the crook, you are going to shoot him in the back as he runs away from your busted car? That would cause you way more problems than it would solve, perhaps even get YOU charged criminally. Most sketchballs at state parks and stuff aren't out to hurt you, the serial killers and true rapists of the world are thankfully quite few and far between and most people to ever live will never encounter one.

As for bears or mountain lions, I think we have beat that topic to death here. The likelihood is that you are screwed in that situation gun or not. But it doesn't matter because once again the chances of any of us undergoing such an encounter is remote in the extreme. Most caliber guns you carry on the trail aren't going to stop a charging Grizzly in time to save you. That is if you even live anywhere with Grizzlies, the black and browns are more likely to run away from you unless you have a freak accident and come between the cubs and mother. For big cats most of the time you would be stalked and pounced before you had any chance to react and you are going to be mauled and potentially paralyzed from spinal damage before you can even think to draw.

Add into this that you may well be at an elevated heart rate and adrenaline level from riding and fear, which most of you probably don't replicate when you train at the range or go hunting. So your accuracy is going to be compromised and you won't have much time to react and take your best shot or get a second shot off. Maybe the noise would scare a bear but probably not if it is enraged enough to be charging you.

Bottom line, 99.99% of us are never going to be at direct risk from a true sociopath or attacked by a wild animal ever in life, much less at the trail while riding a bike. And even if we were the gun is probably not going to change the outcome.

Sweep the leg!
    I like cake
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Powered View Post
    I like cake
    Me too! Whats your favorite kind? I really like boston cream cake Yummm

Stucco Bucket
    Im going to occupy until guns are banned. Wheres our iPhone5's !!!! this is BS.

re member
    What if you're attacked by a runner???
    Rocktoberfest 2014 edit here
    Rocktoberfest 2014 clips here

re member
    Never mind, I did some research and found that you beat them with your bike. And kick them.
    Rocktoberfest 2014 edit here
    Rocktoberfest 2014 clips here

I like pie.
    I like cake
    I prefer chocolate.

With that said handguns are heavy and being a weight weenie, I'd rather get killed by a mountain lion than add 2lbs. to my kit.

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
    I prefer chocolate.

With that said handguns are heavy and being a weight weenie, I'd rather get killed by a mountain lion than add 2lbs. to my kit.

That might just be the best Anti-Carry argument Ive ever heard.

Nickel Havr
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace5high View Post
    That might just be the best Anti-Carry argument Ive ever heard.
    Ditto...

Thanks Mr5150!
    Quote Originally Posted by William Blake
    Great things are done when men and mountains meet. This is not done by jostling in the street .

mtbr member
    I like cake
    I like chocolate cake with chocolate icing.

Now I want cake.

mtbr member
    I'm perfectly fine with gun owners and advocates and preserving their rights. However many of them seem to have these fantasies of "defending themselves" that sound like nonsense to me.
    ding ding.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I've carried guns in a heck of a lot of hairy situations in a number of different countries... I carry sometimes while here. It's been useful 3 times (here in the US, thankfully no shots needed to be fired).

that said, I think it is nonsense to carry while on a bike ride. I think it would be pretty far fetched to dream up a scenario where it would help.

Titanium junkie
    I live in South Dakota, Black Hills, and yes we have mountain lions, and as of late,
    reports of wolves and bear. I can tell you now that the chances of getting off a shot
    against a mountain lion are nil. As for nutjobs on a trail, I figure if they jump out in front of me,
    be prepared to get mowed down. Just ran across lion tracks today, kinda creepy, kinda cool.

bike wisperer
    I carry while posting on mtbr but only while lurking the NorCal forum. You never know.
    Consciousness, that annoying time between bike rides.

Registered text offender
    Dec 2011
    While I haven't a permit, I do CCC

Carry Concealed Cake

Part of the allure of mountain biking for me is going places I don't have to think about self defense- or my mortgage, job, responsibilities etc..,

Animal attacks- if it happens it happens, life is risk.

The weight penalty is definitely unappealing.

If others on the trail are inclined to carry a firearm thats their prerogative- second amendment all the way, thats the person who will fend off the mountain lion who's maulling me, just stay away from my cake .

mtbr member
    I absolutely despise people who would stand up for others rights, how dare them.

Armed Citizen Militia Shows Up At Occupy Phoenix Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!

Huckin' trails
    I carry a peanut butter sandwich. This can be a very dangerous lethal weapon to some

And I don't carry a gun. Because I don't go out to get in danger. I go out riding. And I'll deal with it if a guy tries to rob me while I'm eating my peanut butter sandwich. Those bastards are always hungry.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Quote Originally Posted by picassomoon View Post
    I'm perfectly fine with gun owners and advocates and preserving their rights. However many of them seem to have these fantasies of "defending themselves" that sound like nonsense to me.
    I prefer to fantasize about peace, love and happiness stuff. Sometimes when I close my eyes and wish oh wish so hard I can hear so faintly the sound of all peoples everywhere loving one another. In fact, this one time a guy pulled out a knife to rob me and when I closed my eyes and wished so hard, when I opened them he was holding a lollipop out to give me!

Ever since, I no longer carry or fantasize about defending myself or others now that I know fantasizing about perfect happiness everywhere is by far the most powerful weapon in the world!

Registered text offender
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace5high View Post
    I prefer to fantasize about peace, love and happiness stuff. Sometimes when I close my eyes and wish oh wish so hard I can hear so faintly the sound of all peoples everywhere loving one another. In fact, this one time a guy pulled out a knife to rob me and when I closed my eyes and wished so hard, when I opened them he was holding a lollipop out to give me!
    That was me-
    That wasn't a lollipop

mtbr member
    How do you guys carry your cake wile riding?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    ^ In a cake holster, mid chest, velcro release, loaded with extra chocolate rounds for more power. Any clown tries anything with me, he's getting double tapped, two slices, one in the face, second in the chest...yeah baby!

Retired User
    Carry what? I do not understand. Is this like the "I'm a bad-ass and I'm not going to carry the essential things that you should have in your camelbak" thread?

"2 Wycked"
    Quote Originally Posted by wbmason55 View Post
    Carry what? I do not understand. Is this like the "I'm a bad-ass and I'm not going to carry the essential things that you should have in your camelbak" thread?
    Yep, I stopped bringing water months ago. What will you be giving up for badassdom?
    Ahhhh...Ahhhh....it's the hammy, it's the hammy!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast