Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    vmb
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Another pot thread - biking related

I apologize in advance for another pot thread....

In all honesty, I have been surprised by the amount of support pot has and especially on this forum (silly me, I thought most bikers shunned smoking anything in order to keep cardio conditioning - shows how much I know).

For the supporters that say pot is harmless and isn't a big deal:

>>>A speeding car plowed head-on into a group of cyclists in southern Italy on Sunday morning, killing eight of them, officials said. The driver had been smoking marijuana, police said.

Link:

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2010/12...est=latestnews

I hate to be a pessimist, but with the trend in adoption, I just wonder how long until we see similar headlines in the US ?

I know proponents of this drug will aspouse responsible use, don't smoke and drive, etc. but the reality is 8 cyclist died today because of it's use.

(full disclosure, I've never tried the stuff, so don't know anything about it).

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    There was a similar accident in Las Vegas last week, a driver ran into 3 cyclist because he was petting his puppy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vmb
    I apologize in advance for another pot thread....

In all honesty, I have been surprised by the amount of support pot has and especially on this forum (silly me, I thought most bikers shunned smoking anything in order to keep cardio conditioning - shows how much I know).

For the supporters that say pot is harmless and isn't a big deal:

>>>A speeding car plowed head-on into a group of cyclists in southern Italy on Sunday morning, killing eight of them, officials said. The driver had been smoking marijuana, police said.

Link:

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2010/12...est=latestnews

I hate to be a pessimist, but with the trend in adoption, I just wonder how long until we see similar headlines in the US ?

I know proponents of this drug will aspouse responsible use, don't smoke and drive, etc. but the reality is 8 cyclist died today because of it's use.

(full disclosure, I've never tried the stuff, so don't know anything about it).
    Using this logic, shouldn't alcohol (or any mind-altering legal substance) be made illegal too then?

BTW, I don't smoke either...
    Rarely adds anything productive to threads

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I don't smoke as well. My reply was sarcastic but what I mean by it is that just because the driver had been smoking pot doesn't mean that is why the accident occurred. I have in the past smoked pot and when I did I would drive, trust me it's not like drinking. I love how non smokers can form an opinion that is based on zero experience.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona
    I don't smoke as well. My reply was sarcastic but what I mean by it is that just because the driver had been smoking pot doesn't mean that is why the accident occurred. I have in the past smoked pot and when I did I would drive, trust me it's not like drinking. I love how non smokers can form an opinion that is based on zero experience.
    How ironic is it that your 420th post is one about pot.

BTW, you're not suggesting that smoking and driving is okay are you?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Pot really doesn't impair your driving, the SPEEDING is what really killed them. Marijuana does NOT affect you the way alcohol slows your reactions. Usually it makes you more cautious behind the wheel not more reckless.
    agmtb

Meatbomb
    Quote Originally Posted by abegold
    Pot really doesn't impair your driving, the SPEEDING is what really killed them. Marijuana does NOT affect you the way alcohol slows your reactions. Usually it makes you more cautious behind the wheel not more reckless.

I call BS on that one.

I believe everyone will agree, if legal, pot should be regulated as any other mind altering substance ... don't smoke and drive or perform open heart surgery etc...

mtbr member
    +1 on Phillbo's BS call. I haven't smoked in 20 years or so, but I can readily recall an instance when I was so stoned that I could hardly keep my car on the road. At 25 mph. Driving ability affected?? Now, I do agree that pot affects you way differently than alcohol, and generally in a mellower way, but it still affects your abilities. I personally have no problem with responsible recreational use, nor responsible recreational alcohol use. I also haven't drank in almost 20 years, I was incapable of responsible recreational use.

banned
    Oct 2010
    I almost crashed rubbing one out once.....but I was also ston ed

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona
    agree AND it's your 420th post
    Honestly, you just take a deep breath and say Fuck it.

~Disc~Golf~

Meatbomb
    you guys actually believe that being stoned does not impair your ability to drive in any way ????

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo
    you guys actually believe that being stoned does not impair your ability to drive in any way ????
    not nearly as much as driving tired and/or distracted
    I would certainly feel safer commuting by bike with "stoners" on the road rather than your typical rush-hour commuter.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    not nearly as much as driving tired and/or distracted
    That's not what Phil asked though, now is it?

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    That's not what Phil asked though, now is it?
    not exactly, but my point is... wait, you mean you can't see my point?

parenting for gnarness
    Completely reasonable to assume that like anything, increased availability and use will come with increased accidents where pot was involved. While its definitely true that pot is readily accessible now, suggesting you won't have more users with some enhanced legalization strikes me as against common sense.

However...

I bet you have more accidents caused by iPhones now than 3 yrs ago. Also probably more accidents involving prescription drugs as those are used more and more, etc etc. Also there are plenty of people who don't drink and drive, we don't condemn alcohol in general because some people misuse - we condemn improper usage, of all these things.

With regard to this specific incident, before I blame pot as the sole cause, I'd want to know more. Was the guy really stoned, a little stoned, or just have it in his system,? Was he a bad driver? Was he distracted by kids, or pass in a bad place? Running into a pack of riders where pot is the primary cause would be really stoned - Super Extreme DUI (.20) kind of stoned, which is not the typical type of arrest. Correlation in this case does not by itself establish any patterns of causality. So on that point VMB's post initially strikes me as a bit of gut-reaction and oversimplification, which probably explains some of the counter-posts.

A good study would be one that looks at accident rates involving MJ in states that have some history of medical mj use. apples-to-apples. I don't feel that comparing alcohol availability to pot availability is good comparison in this case, since the 2 drugs affect people differently. Alcohol's first effect is your judgment. Pot, imo, does not affect decision-making the same way at limited levels. YMMV.

I think VMB's post raises a good and fair question, that advocates of increased legalization should address with facts. Whether or not the OP has tried or not is not relevant - not a single person can honestly say it has no effect. My opinion is that just a little might make you a better driver by easing your attitude and making you more patient, but with some decreases in concentration. That's how it affects me riding or snowboarding, for example. But more than a little and you are a worse driver, overall. IMO.

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by abegold
    That's a load of ***** right there...

It doesn't affect you as severely as alcohol, MAYBE. But it certainly affects you the same. I know. I've wondered many times in my youth how the hell I got home 'cause I was so high...

~Disc~Golf~
    ^^^ not as severely but the same

dwt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo
    Sure it impairs your ability to drive.

But it's fun to do riding. And skiing. Snowboarding. Having sex. Listening to music. Eating. Watching sci fi. Watching/listening to comedy...

You get the drift: victimless enjoyment.

But NEVER smoke and play poker. You'll lose your shirt.
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

Shift less, Pedal more.
    Quote Originally Posted by vmb
    This is why I stay on the dirt and off of the road. You will never catch me on a road bike. With all the distraction that people have these days and use while driving, I prefer to press my luck with cactus and trees.

I'm gonna say it cause this is a mountain bike forum:

"Silly roadies, streets are for cars"

I'm not saying that this isn't an unfortunate situation, but if they were on singletrack.....
    I'd rather be hated for what I am, than loved for what I'm not......Dolemite.

mtbr member
    not exactly, but my point is... wait, you mean you can't see my point?
    If your point is "two wrongs don't make a right" then yes, I do.

Driving impaired is illegal.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    If your point is "two wrongs don't make a right" then yes, I do.

Driving impaired is illegal.
    what is your definition of impaired?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I think it depends on the user. I'm ADD and it actually helps me focus. Yep, I said that and I mean it. Riding, driving, skiing and ****ing on weed is freaking Jedi! Maybe it's different for you but thats how it is for me. So those that believe it impairs abilities I have to ask, How often have you toked while being active? I'm guessing not much or ever even, so how the hell are you skeptics so sure of yourselves?

mtbr member
    what is your definition of impaired?
    The legal one. If you get into a fatal accident, and it's proven that you are sleep deprived, you will be charged, and likely going to jail.

Again, you seriously can't be suggesting that smoking and driving is okay? My question has nothing to do with whether I think MJ should or should not be legal (FYI, I believe the former), but whether it's consider mind-altering and can impair one's judgement and motor skills.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    And for the record, I don't smoke any more. I'm a father with a job that drug tests and it's too damn expensive anyways but I will advocate for it.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast