Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    workin' it Administrator
    Reputation: rockcrusher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    8,110

    New question here. AM 29r vs 26r Thread Cleanup

    Quote Originally Posted by turbodog View Post
    Great view from that bike path!
    if you don't like it GTFO. It is short path to being a troll for you and that usually ends poorly here. We get it you don't like 29ers. There are 1000's of threads for you participate in. We'll record your dissent here for future generations to learn from you can go now.

    and damn you got double slapped by multiple moderators. Good name you are making for yourself here.
    Try this: HTFU

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    996
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    if you don't like it GTFO. It is short path to being a troll for you and that usually ends poorly here. We get it you don't like 29ers. There are 1000's of threads for you participate in. We'll record your dissent here for future generations to learn from you can go now.

    and damn you got double slapped by multiple moderators. Good name you are making for yourself here.
    I've been on MTBR since at least 1998. I used to sell 700c hybrid bikes in a bike shop in 1995, thank you very much. Nothing wrong with voicing an opinon.

    I see you gave me negative rep points...? I feel so dirty.
    29er = Hybrid Bike.

    Priceless TGR comments on MTBR Rep system... http://goo.gl/5ayA2F Rep away!!!

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    996
    This is the all mountain forum. For any true all mountain use, it's highly unlikely that 29" wheels will ever be a viable option vs. 26". It's simply not possible to get the tire width and frame geometry for true AM in a practically sized package with a 29" wheel size. But people are certainly trying!
    29er = Hybrid Bike.

    Priceless TGR comments on MTBR Rep system... http://goo.gl/5ayA2F Rep away!!!

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    996
    Quote Originally Posted by charging_rhinos View Post
    Sorry there, chap. Just not true. I know, I know. I've seen your recent posts trying to rip on 29ers whenever possible, but your arguments are just plain bad. I work with a few of the better 'AM' riders in the state of Utah (they have the podium finishes to back that claim up, btw). Guess what they ride? One rides a Yeti SB-95, another rides an Ibis Ripley 29er, and another just got an S-Works Enduro 29er. They destroy any trail you put them on, and faster than the did on their previous 26ers they all owned. As long as you build it up right, a 29er an be an extremely capable AM bike. It all depends on what characteristics you personally do best with. I personally ride a 26er, and I do best with 26er ride characteristics. But I'm not vacuous enough to say that 29ers are categorically inferior to 26ers. You really ought to ride a good, recent 29er, rather than sipping the Haterade. They fit nice and fat tires, they have low bottom brackets, and even short chainstays and slack head angles. I'd say some of them are every bit as good as any 26er or 27.5er on even near DH terrain, but again it all comes down to personal preference.

    Yes there is when you're being a troll.
    Ever consider that they just got brand new bikes, that were better than their old bikes, which has nothing to do with wheel size? Because when most people upgrade bikes, they are usually faster because the bike is better. It's entirely possible that they would be as fast or even faster on a brand new 26" bike, and most test prove that out.

    I also find that people get quite defensive when you question or cast into doubt how they spent $5,000+. That's not trolling, but people will attempt to label it as such!
    29er = Hybrid Bike.

    Priceless TGR comments on MTBR Rep system... http://goo.gl/5ayA2F Rep away!!!

  5. #5
    workin' it Administrator
    Reputation: rockcrusher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    8,110
    Quote Originally Posted by turbodog View Post
    I've been on MTBR since at least 1998. I used to sell 700c hybrid bikes in a bike shop in 1995, thank you very much. Nothing wrong with voicing an opinon.

    I see you gave me negative rep points...? I feel so dirty.
    I think you will look again and see that I didn't give you rep points of any kind. Not something I do and if I do they are only positive points for positive contributions. Yours are not positive you are rehashing something that has been put to bed long long ago.

    Hybrid bikes, especially those in the 1990's were designed as gravel path bikes, ironically resurrected recently in the gravel bike category.

    29ers are mountain bikes using 700c wheels. The term hybrid is a throw back to the era you obviously haven't left. 29ers are legitimate mountain bikes, just like 26ers and 650b bikes. Being an ass about it, as you seem to need to be is my reason for telling you that you have spoken you peace. Your opinion has been voice, we are well aware that you dislike 29ers for some reason that you only state as they are well suited to riding on bike paths.

    Your opinion is your but that doesn't stop it from being wrong and it won't stop people from tell you so.

    If you have been here since the beginning then I suspect you would understand that just like singlespeeds, 29ers, 650bs and now fat bikes they have all had their detractors, much like you, that don't listen to reason or fact and just throw out terms like "stupid" or "suited only for bike paths" or "fads" because they don't understand them, haven't ridden them or just are xenophobic to anything that isn't status quo.

    Well the proof of time has proven 29ers and singlespeeds as viable concepts, 27.5 is in its proving phase and so is fatbikes. As they defend themselves against "corporations shoving another standard down our throats" and "what a stupid idea" they will eventually become just as mainstream as 26ers and 29ers because people like to ride bikes. What suits you may not suit someone else and just because you don't understand something doesn't mean that it is a bad idea. You just don't understand.

    So go play in the 26er threads and leave the 29er threads to those that care to understand. You have made your derision more than obvious between your juvenile signature and your continued opinion giving. Either listen to the other opinions or go elsewhere at MTBR. It is that simple because continuing down this path will get you removed from MTBR permanently. See the guidelines regarding trolling and flaming. That is pretty much what you are doing and what I am telling you you are doing.
    Try this: HTFU

  6. #6
    workin' it Administrator
    Reputation: rockcrusher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    8,110
    Quote Originally Posted by turbodog View Post
    I also find that people get quite defensive when you question or cast into doubt how they spent $5,000+. That's not trolling, but people will attempt to label it as such!
    who the **** are you to judge what on and how people spend their money?

    You are really working on this trolling thing. I see new category under your user name in the very near future.
    Try this: HTFU

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    996
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    I think you will look again and see that I didn't give you rep points of any kind. Not something I do and if I do they are only positive points for positive contributions. Yours are not positive you are rehashing something that has been put to bed long long ago.

    Hybrid bikes, especially those in the 1990's were designed as gravel path bikes, ironically resurrected recently in the gravel bike category.

    29ers are mountain bikes using 700c wheels. The term hybrid is a throw back to the era you obviously haven't left. 29ers are legitimate mountain bikes, just like 26ers and 650b bikes. Being an ass about it, as you seem to need to be is my reason for telling you that you have spoken you peace. Your opinion has been voice, we are well aware that you dislike 29ers for some reason that you only state as they are well suited to riding on bike paths.

    Your opinion is your but that doesn't stop it from being wrong and it won't stop people from tell you so.

    If you have been here since the beginning then I suspect you would understand that just like singlespeeds, 29ers, 650bs and now fat bikes they have all had their detractors, much like you, that don't listen to reason or fact and just throw out terms like "stupid" or "suited only for bike paths" or "fads" because they don't understand them, haven't ridden them or just are xenophobic to anything that isn't status quo.

    Well the proof of time has proven 29ers and singlespeeds as viable concepts, 27.5 is in its proving phase and so is fatbikes. As they defend themselves against "corporations shoving another standard down our throats" and "what a stupid idea" they will eventually become just as mainstream as 26ers and 29ers because people like to ride bikes. What suits you may not suit someone else and just because you don't understand something doesn't mean that it is a bad idea. You just don't understand.

    So go play in the 26er threads and leave the 29er threads to those that care to understand. You have made your derision more than obvious between your juvenile signature and your continued opinion giving. Either listen to the other opinions or go elsewhere at MTBR. It is that simple because continuing down this path will get you removed from MTBR permanently. See the guidelines regarding trolling and flaming. That is pretty much what you are doing and what I am telling you you are doing.
    Thanks for expressing your opinion for us! I will continue to express my opinion also. However, it would be better without the personal insults.

    As all these alternative bikes have developed, I've watched them for many years with mild amusement, and really could have cared less. Makes no difference to me what people want to ride. However, it has now become a real problem that these alternative wheel sizes are drawing major development resources away from 26" bikes, to the point where you might not be able to get a competitively high end 26" bike in the near future. People who prefer 26" wheels need to stand up and say to the bike industry that they want them, and that they will continue to buy bikes and parts in that size. They also need to stand against industry (and peer) pressure if they don't want to adapt alternative sizes.

    When I express an opinion that these new wheel sizes are "silly" and no better than a 26", it certainly doesn't seem right that I should be shouted down.
    29er = Hybrid Bike.

    Priceless TGR comments on MTBR Rep system... http://goo.gl/5ayA2F Rep away!!!

  8. #8
    workin' it Administrator
    Reputation: rockcrusher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    8,110
    Quote Originally Posted by turbodog View Post
    Thanks for expressing your opinion for us! I will continue to express my opinion also. However, it would be better without the personal insults.

    As all these alternative bikes have developed, I've watched them for many years with mild amusement, and really could have cared less. Makes no difference to me what people want to ride. However, it has now become a real problem that these alternative wheel sizes are drawing major development resources away from 26" bikes, to the point where you might not be able to get a competitively high end 26" bike in the near future. People who prefer 26" wheels need to stand up and say to the bike industry that they want them, and that they will continue to buy bikes and parts in that size. They also need to stand against industry (and peer) pressure if they don't want to adapt alternative sizes.

    When I express an opinion that these new wheel sizes are "silly" and no better than a 26", it certainly doesn't seem right that I should be shouted down.
    Well my opinion is based on my experience during the last 5-6 years of moderating people who come into forums and start fights because they don't like something, don't believe it is viable, etc. Your opinion is based upon the fact that you don't like something. I am not seeing you saying you have ridden your 29er on AM trails for a couple of years and have determined it is not suited for that purpose.

    What I am opining is based on my experiences, it being informed: Aggressively negative users that come into different threads to "inform" the public usually get banned.

    What you are opining is that you believe that the 26er will be relegated to low end bikes and you will be forced to accept inferior products for your chosen style of riding, which isn't based in anything more than your belief and is just prognosticating how things will occur because how do you know this will happen?

    As prognostication doesn't generate the kind of feedback that informed opinions do, users that prognosticate get a lot of flack. This generates Reported Posts and mods, such as myself, need to come and see if there is a response needed. In this case your continued insulting of other members by calling their bikes hybrids and suited for bikes paths, incapable of AM riding, etc all based on what you believe is a shortcoming of something you obviously haven't tried for enough time to have a viable opinion about amounts to trolling.

    So make your own thread where you rally the 26er troops to go out and vote with their dollars, don't come into other threads to denigrate something with your beliefs.
    Try this: HTFU

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    996
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    Well my opinion is based on my experience during the last 5-6 years of moderating people who come into forums and start fights because they don't like something, don't believe it is viable, etc. Your opinion is based upon the fact that you don't like something. I am not seeing you saying you have ridden your 29er on AM trails for a couple of years and have determined it is not suited for that purpose.

    What I am opining is based on my experiences, it being informed: Aggressively negative users that come into different threads to "inform" the public usually get banned.
    Thanks, I'm very familiar with how internet forums work. If you question people's tightly held belief system, expect to be abused, insulted, labeled a troublemaker, and banned.

    What you are opining is that you believe that the 26er will be relegated to low end bikes and you will be forced to accept inferior products for your chosen style of riding, which isn't based in anything more than your belief and is just prognosticating how things will occur because how do you know this will happen?
    I've seen plenty of trends and hype in the bike industry, and many other hobbies/sports. It's funny how they get pushed, and how they come and go. I'm still bitter that you can't get good new 8-speed parts, but I'm still going to keep running it.


    As prognostication doesn't generate the kind of feedback that informed opinions do, users that prognosticate get a lot of flack. This generates Reported Posts and mods, such as myself, need to come and see if there is a response needed. In this case your continued insulting of other members by calling their bikes hybrids and suited for bikes paths, incapable of AM riding, etc all based on what you believe is a shortcoming of something you obviously haven't tried for enough time to have a viable opinion about amounts to trolling.
    My opinion is based on 20+ years of many types of riding styles. I don't need to ride a 29er to have a perfectly valid opinion that they are inferior to 26" wheels. Why would I want to go ride something that I think is inferior? There are a multitude of things that people are entitled to not like without having tried.

    I'm not insulting anybody, however, I have received my fair share of insults after voicing my opinion.


    So make your own thread where you rally the 26er troops to go out and vote with their dollars, don't come into other threads to denigrate something with your beliefs.
    Thanks, I was actually thinking about doing just that. Glad I have your approval.
    29er = Hybrid Bike.

    Priceless TGR comments on MTBR Rep system... http://goo.gl/5ayA2F Rep away!!!

  10. #10
    workin' it Administrator
    Reputation: rockcrusher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    8,110
    Quote Originally Posted by turbodog View Post
    My opinion is based on 20+ years of many types of riding styles. I don't need to ride a 29er to have a perfectly valid opinion that they are inferior to 26" wheels. Why would I want to go ride something that I think is inferior? There are a multitude of things that people are entitled to not like without having tried.
    this is perhaps the most ******** thing i have read. If you want to be taken seriously and not have your threads turn into shitfest this isn't the best way to go about it. Arguing that because you know it's bad it's bad without any proof everything will just end up with your having your threads deleted and your account suspended or worse. This is the definition of trolling. You are baiting people with ******** and expecting them to care.

    As an example of how to do this correctly Mikesee regularly tells people they are idiots for riding fat snow tires as mountain bike tires and you know what? People don't particularly argue with him because he probably has ridden more miles on fat tires than most people on the fat bike forum. He knows. However that doesn't stop people from riding fat tires on dirt. I do it myself, even if Mikesee says I'm an idiot.

    He is also someone you should look up as well to see if someone can ride technical challenging terrain on a 29er in a AM capacity. He will more than likely out ride almost every one on this site on a 26er or a 29er or a 27.5 but prefers the big wheels for his Utah AM/FR sessions.

    And here's the other thing: bicycles are market driven. If you want to come to a website that is a forum for consumer products and complain that all the people using that product you don't believe in are wrong you can expect to get lambasted, negative repped and called out. Just because voice your opinion it doesn't preclude you from the repercussion of that opinion. I only warn you this because starting a, "us vs. them" thread never ends well, in my experience, which is considerable in moderating multitudinous "us. vs them" threads over the years.

    Start your thread intelligently and without aggression and it might do what you want, lift your spirits that there are still those that love 26ers and will spend the money to let companies know this too. Start it antagonistically and it will end badly. Tread carefully as you have been warned.
    Try this: HTFU

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    996
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    this is perhaps the most ******** thing i have read. If you want to be taken seriously and not have your threads turn into shitfest this isn't the best way to go about it. Arguing that because you know it's bad it's bad without any proof everything will just end up with your having your threads deleted and your account suspended or worse. This is the definition of trolling. You are baiting people with ******** and expecting them to care.

    As an example of how to do this correctly Mikesee regularly tells people they are idiots for riding fat snow tires as mountain bike tires and you know what? People don't particularly argue with him because he probably has ridden more miles on fat tires than most people on the fat bike forum. He knows. However that doesn't stop people from riding fat tires on dirt. I do it myself, even if Mikesee says I'm an idiot.

    He is also someone you should look up as well to see if someone can ride technical challenging terrain on a 29er in a AM capacity. He will more than likely out ride almost every one on this site on a 26er or a 29er or a 27.5 but prefers the big wheels for his Utah AM/FR sessions.

    And here's the other thing: bicycles are market driven. If you want to come to a website that is a forum for consumer products and complain that all the people using that product you don't believe in are wrong you can expect to get lambasted, negative repped and called out. Just because voice your opinion it doesn't preclude you from the repercussion of that opinion. I only warn you this because starting a, "us vs. them" thread never ends well, in my experience, which is considerable in moderating multitudinous "us. vs them" threads over the years.

    Start your thread intelligently and without aggression and it might do what you want, lift your spirits that there are still those that love 26ers and will spend the money to let companies know this too. Start it antagonistically and it will end badly. Tread carefully as you have been warned.
    Not exactly sure what your point is here, but it's certainly possible to ride very technical terrain on almost any bike. I did it for many years on a super light Ti hardtail with bebop pedals and 22" bars. That doesn't mean I would go back to doing it.

    I'm sorry some other people don't have the depth of experience I do, because there probably wouldn't be as many people that are easily lead or holding misguided opinions. If people are so supremely confident that 29er's are superior, why would they be so sensitive when I claim they are not? Someone who resorts to attacks and insults when their beliefs are questioned is certainly not showing strength in their convictions. I'm confident that my experiences lead me to a valid and correct opinion on 29er's, an all too common response by some people is not going to change that.
    29er = Hybrid Bike.

    Priceless TGR comments on MTBR Rep system... http://goo.gl/5ayA2F Rep away!!!

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: smilinsteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    6,909
    Rockcrusher, you have the patience of a saint.
    But I think we should all be spared from reading any more of this trolls nonsense.

    It smells like (turbo) dog sh*t in here, and no one is cleaning it up.

  13. #13
    workin' it Administrator
    Reputation: rockcrusher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    8,110
    Quote Originally Posted by turbodog View Post
    Not exactly sure what your point is here, but it's certainly possible to ride very technical terrain on almost any bike. I did it for many years on a super light Ti hardtail with bebop pedals and 22" bars. That doesn't mean I would go back to doing it.

    I'm sorry some other people don't have the depth of experience I do, because there probably wouldn't be as many people that are easily lead or holding misguided opinions. If people are so supremely confident that 29er's are superior, why would they be so sensitive when I claim they are not? Someone who resorts to attacks and insults when their beliefs are questioned is certainly not showing strength in their convictions. I'm confident that my experiences lead me to a valid and correct opinion on 29er's, an all too common response by some people is not going to change that.
    Oh my god you are full of bull ****. Why would anyone believe you? You haven't ridden them so your opinion is completely invalid. You aren't challenging their beliefs your are just evangelizing regarding something you have no experience in. I've been riding mountain bikes since the early eighties and I thought 29ers were dumb in the early aughts but then I rode one and you know what my decades of experience didn't give me the correct interpretation of that platform. So all your ti bikes and bebop pedals amounts to zero experience with 29ers and thus your opinion means zero and thus the reactions that you are attributing to people being challenged is really their reaction to your ******** experience.

    Just so we lose this thread link and you can maintain some semblance of credibility after publicly announcing that your experience with 29ers is because you have ridden a bike a long time I am going to coallesce all this crap and place it where crap goes and you can go off to the general forum or where ever and share your amazing opinion about 29ers and how **** they are. Please do not respond in this thread again to this off topic rant.
    Last edited by rockcrusher; 04-26-2014 at 10:47 AM.
    Try this: HTFU

Similar Threads

  1. Centennial Trail Cleanup
    By kellyhalter in forum Great Plains - OK, KS, NE, SD, ND
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-04-2013, 10:24 AM
  2. Never cleanup a messy shop
    By adrenalnjunky in forum Lights DIY - Do It Yourself
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-12-2012, 03:29 PM
  3. Tolt cleanup
    By Jimba in forum Washington
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 02-06-2012, 09:01 AM
  4. Paradise Valley Cleanup
    By woodway in forum Washington
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-04-2012, 03:47 PM
  5. SOMO Trail Cleanup - DC
    By Irishcarbombs in forum Arizona
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-15-2011, 08:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •