Administrator Administrator

Syndicate's Hendershot And Waddell To Race 24-hr World Champs

Thursday Aug. 23, 2007

Santa Cruz Syndicate racers, Mark Hendershot and John Waddell prepare for the 9th annual World Solo 24 Hours of Adrenalin race that will take place just outside Monterey California at the Laguna Seca Raceway on September 1 & 2, 2007. Just before noon Saturday, spectators will fill the expo area to cheer everyone on as the event begins with the famous LeMans start. Riders will complete as many laps as possible in the 24-hour time frame and Hendershot and Waddell are each racing solo!

Hendershot looks forward to the race and says, “This is my 7th year racing at the World Solo 24-Hour Championships. This race began in California, has been held in British Columbia, Georgia, and now back in California. I've been in the top 5 every year. Weird things always happen to me at the World's. One year in Whistler I had to get an emergency root canal the day before the race. I couldn't believe my luck to find a dentist willing to spend Friday evening ripping apart my mouth. I listened to the Cure throughout the procedure. Years later, it still hurts to listen to the Cure.

The competition is tougher at World Championships than at any other race. I'm hoping for a good finish. I've done three 24-hour races this year, put up two wins, and a third at the National Championships. I'm stoked to be racing with my team mate Johnny Waddell. I've
    never had the chance to race with the Syndicate boys since I don't hurl myself down mountains at a million miles per hour.”

Waddell says, “Physical exertion is what I crave, hands down. After arriving home from the states earlier this year my motivation wasn't at the highest it has been. Then my coach, Andrew Ivey, said to me, "If your biggest race doesn't motivate you, I don't know what can". Since then I've been concentrating on specific training over the last 14 weeks, on top of my already strong 3-year physical fitness. After putting in so much time and effort into this race, I'm really looking forward to going back to Monterey just to enjoy the experience and appreciate how far I've actually had to come to get to this particular point.
    I say bring it on. Love the pain. Enjoy the ride!”

These two tough characters will send a race update and let us know all about their triumphs, weird happenings, hallucinations and results from the World Solo 24-Hour Championships in just a few short weeks.

Thanks to the Syndicate Sponsors:

Santa Cruz Bicycles
    SRAM
    Rock Shox
    Truvativ
    Avid
    Kenda
    DT Swiss
    WTB
    Crankbrothers
    Lizard Skins
    Clif Bar