Administrator Administrator

Sam Hill & Sabrina Jonnier Defend Downhill Titles in Scotland

September 14, 2007

Holbrook, NY

Monster Energy/Iron Horse teammates Sam Hill (Australia) and Sabrina Jonnier (France) stood atop the podium at the UCI World Championships for the second straight year with repeat perfomances as Elite Downhill World Champions.

The World Championships, held annually, are considered by many to be the greatest and most prestigious event in the sport of mountain biking. Riders from around the globe were in attendance with hopes of earning the right to wear the traditional white jersey with rainbow stripes for the following year. Monster Energy/Iron Horse riders, Hill and Jonnier, once again proved themselves to be the greatest at this most prestigious event. This year’s edition of the World Championships was held in Fort William, Scotland on the slopes of Ben Nevis, the highest peak in the United Kingdom. Fort William has become a favorite of both fans and competitors since becoming a perennial host of a UCI World Cup Mountain Bike Series round in 2002.

In the women’s competition, Sabrina qualified fifth in Thursday’s qualifier run but pulled out all of the stops to put together her World Championship winning run on Sunday. In her final run, Sabrina raced her dw-link equipped Iron Horse Sunday across the line with a winning time of 5:28.35 minutes, 4.01 seconds ahead of second place finisher Rachel Atherton of Great Britain. “It means a lot to me to win again.” said Jonnier. “I hadn’t really done well on the Fort William track in the past, so I knew I had to work really hard for my second World Championship. I trained really hard for this and I’m really happy that all my hard work and the hard work of my team paid off.”

In the marquis event of the weekend, Sam Hill captured his second straight Downhill World Championship on his Iron Horse Sunday. After qualifying in 24th position in Thursday’s qualifier, Sam was among the first of the favorites for the win to come down the course on Saturday afternoon. Coming across the line with a time of 4:52.01 minutes over the 1.75 mile course, Hill was the first rider to set a sub 5 minute time - knocking early pace setter Pasqual Canals Flix (Spain) off the hot seat. As the winds picked up and the rain began to fall heavier, only second place finisher Fabien Barel (France) would end up challenging Sam’s mark, falling a slim 0.64 seconds short.

Hill commented, “Winning the World Champs for me is huge. It's been my biggest goal since I started racing downhill. I feel like I have achieved a lot. Winning for the second year in a row feels just as good as the first because it's a lot harder to try and defend it.” Hill then added, “Now I’m going to have to try and back it up next year.”

In addition to the wins by Sam and Sabrina, Ruaridh Cunningham of Scotland claimed the Junior Downhill World Championship on board an Iron Horse Sunday Factory frame. In the Elite Men’s race, Iron Horse sponsored rider Ben Reid (Ireland) finished 14th, Duncan Riffle (USA) finished 27th, and Kieran Bennett (New Zealand) was 43rd. Aussie Junior National Champion Mitch Delfs finished up 4th in the Junior race.

The next stop for the Monster Energy/Iron Horse team is the World Cup Finals at Maribor, Slovenia on September 15-16. Sam and Sabrina both go into Maribor leading the World Cup Series point standings.

For complete info on the 2008 Iron Horse Bicycles product line, including the Sunday World Cup team replica model, visit www.ironhorsebikes.com. For more info, photos, and schedules for the Monster Energy/Iron Horse race team visit www.ironhorseraceteam.com.

The Monster Energy/Iron Horse Team thanks the following sponsors for all their support: Monster Energy, Iron Horse Bicycles, Mad Catz, Alligator Cables, Avid, Crank Brother, DT-Swiss, e-thirteen Components, Five-Ten Shoes, FSA/Gravity, FUNN, Maxima Lubes, Maxxis Tires, Minoura, mtbidsystems, RockShox, SRAM, THE, Troy Lee Designs, and WTB.

source: Todd Seplavy
    www.ironhorsebikes.com
    Attached Images Attached Images

Members who have read this thread: 0