Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Administrator Administrator
    Reputation: gregg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Posts
    7,381

    Pacenti Cycle Design Leading the 650B Wheel Revolution

    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

    Chattanooga, Tennessee (July 24, 2007) Bike designer Kirk Pacenti is into big wheels. He was riding 700C and 700D wheels in the early 1990s, has been a long-time proponent of 29ers, and probably even rode one of those plastic “Big Wheel” tricycles as a kid. But now he has seen the MTB future and the wheel size is 650B.

    The advantages?

    • With 650B wheels (which measure 27.5” in diameter, half-way between 26” and 29” wheels), full-suspension bikes can be produced with 4” to 6” inches of travel and throughout a wide range of frame sizes without abandoning proven 26” wheel frame geometry.

    • 650B wheel bikes can be designed for a wide variety of uses from XC racing to 4X and DH racing.

    • 650B wheel bikes can accommodate riders 5’ 3” to 6’ 4” tall or more.

    • 650B wheels offer great obstacle roll-over capabilities for a smoother ride.

    • Consumers are already demanding 650B bikes and bike designers are producing the bikes.

    “What I believe 650B wheeled mountain bikes will allow builders to do, is to utilize proven 26 inch wheeled geometries, coupled with the largest wheel possible in a bike with little or no geometry compromises,” says Pacenti, president of Pacenti Cycle Design, which supplies product and support to frame builders. “As 140mm travel bikes become the norm (even for XC bikes) the 650B wheel size is going to make even more sense.”

    Granted, the biggest obstacle to any new wheel size is tires, but Pacenti has already covered that rocky ground. A Pacenti-designed and branded Panaracer-made 650B tire – the Neo-Moto -- is currently in production and will be available by mid-September. In addition, White Brothers is producing suspension forks for the new wheel size, and Velocity USA, which has built 650B rims for the bicycle touring market for years, is already in production of their new “Blunt” all-mountain MTB rim.

    Because the 650B wheel size is compatible with many 26” wheel components numerous parts are already available. For instance, Maverick forks can be easily optimized for 650B wheels with a travel reduction kit, and some current 26" and all current 29" disk specific suspension forks will work with the 650B wheel size.

    But what’s a wheel and parts without a frame. Numerous independent bike designers are fully embracing the new 650B wheel size and producing 650B frames. The current list of frame builders includes:

    Ahrens Cycles
    El Camino Fabrication
    Engin Cycles
    Independent Fabrication
    Kent Eriksen
    Origin 8
    Pacenti Cycles
    Rawland Cycles
    Rock Lobster Cycles
    Siren Cycles
    Soma
    Tomac Bikes
    Turner Bikes
    Vicious Cycles
    Walt Works
    Willits Brand
    ZR Cycles

    Noel Buckley of Knolly Bikes, who understands the impact wheel size has on full-suspension frame design, says: “Kirk’s forward thinking vision is correct in that 29’er wheels don’t work well for frames with more than 100mm of rear travel. While working on the design of a 29er version of our new Endorphin frame, we started realizing that serious compromises would need to be made to the frame geometry due to undesirable forward wheel paths, chain stay lengths, and BB height all caused by the large 29” wheel diameter.

    “Kirk knows what he’s talking about. The 650B wheel size makes more sense for a company looking to produce big wheeled bikes in the 100 - 150mm travel category because they get the rolling benefits of the larger tire, but don’t have to modify frame geometries much, or have to contend with the design compromises imposed by 29 inch wheels.”

    As many as a dozen manufacturers will have 650B parts and components ready for this year’s Interbike trade show and distribution of the new Pacenti 650B tires will be handled by a number of well-known distributors. (A list of distributors will be available soon.)

    “I am fully committed to the 650B wheel mountain bike,” says Pacenti. “I have been receiving daily inquiries from custom builders and even consumers who are very interested in the wheel size. Support for this project has been overwhelming. I truly believe 650B wheel bikes have a bright future in mountain biking.”

    About Pacenti Cycle Design
    Kirk Pacenti founded Pacenti Cycle Design for the sole purpose of supplying and offering support to the artisans who build quality hand-crafted bicycle frames. He provides particular dedication to lugged steel construction but is expanding his product offerings to include all materials and construction techniques including the new 650B wheel bike. For more information call (423) 954-3373 or log onto the Internet at www.bikelugs.com

    # # #


    source: Dan Gindling, Bicycle Newswire
    www.bicyclenewswire.com
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    locked - time out
    Reputation: the_colorado_kid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    134
    Who's on board w/ forks? Anybody besides White Brothers and converting a Maverick?

  3. #3
    Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Reputation: Kirk Pacenti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,629
    Quote Originally Posted by the_colorado_kid
    Who's on board w/ forks? Anybody besides White Brothers and converting a Maverick?
    Some 26" forks *may* work, but clearances may be very tight. Any current 29'er fork will work with clearance to spare...
    If you like my products and services tell everyone. If you don't, tell me - kirk(at)pacenticycledesign.com

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fat Elvis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    943
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Pacenti
    Some 26" forks *may* work, but clearances may be very tight. Any current 29'er fork will work with clearance to spare...
    Kirk, have you tried fitting your wheel/tire on any 26" forks? I'm riding an intense tracer now with a fox talas fork, and am thinking about trying some of your wheels (I made the mistake of renting a 29'er early in the summer, but can't afford a new frame, fork and wheels ). From another one of your posts, I saw that the tire is 27.6" in diameter. Is this measurement on the casing, or does it include the knobs on the tire? If it includes the knobs, I think the fork should be able to fit one of your wheels (there's ~14.0" of clearance from axle to the underside of the brake bridge). Even if it doesn't, I have an old psylo sl on another bike that would easily fit the wheel, so I'm good on the front end of the bike.

    The rear of the frame is another issue. I've got clearance galore on the chainstays, but the seatstay bridge may be a problem (right around 13.8", although it's tough to measure). I do have the option of trying to buy a used M1 or uzzi rear end, that should fit the rear wheel, though (saw a cheap uzzi slx on the classifieds recently).

    All in all, it will probably be a tight squeeze. Fortunately, I live in colorado, so mud-clearance isn't much of an issue.

  5. #5
    Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Reputation: Kirk Pacenti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,629
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Elvis
    Kirk, have you tried fitting your wheel/tire on any 26" forks? I'm riding an intense tracer now with a fox talas fork, and am thinking about trying some of your wheels (I made the mistake of renting a 29'er early in the summer, but can't afford a new frame, fork and wheels ). From another one of your posts, I saw that the tire is 27.6" in diameter. Is this measurement on the casing, or does it include the knobs on the tire? If it includes the knobs, I think the fork should be able to fit one of your wheels (there's ~14.0" of clearance from axle to the underside of the brake bridge). Even if it doesn't, I have an old psylo sl on another bike that would easily fit the wheel, so I'm good on the front end of the bike.

    The rear of the frame is another issue. I've got clearance galore on the chainstays, but the seatstay bridge may be a problem (right around 13.8", although it's tough to measure). I do have the option of trying to buy a used M1 or uzzi rear end, that should fit the rear wheel, though (saw a cheap uzzi slx on the classifieds recently).

    All in all, it will probably be a tight squeeze. Fortunately, I live in colorado, so mud-clearance isn't much of an issue.
    Carl at Vicious Cycles put the tire in the new Fox 26" fork and it fit nicely. It was a bit tighter than I like, but he says it's got about .25" all around.

    Cheers,

    KP
    If you like my products and services tell everyone. If you don't, tell me - kirk(at)pacenticycledesign.com

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fat Elvis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    943
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Pacenti
    Carl at Vicious Cycles put the tire in the new Fox 26" fork and it fit nicely. It was a bit tighter than I like, but he says it's got about .25" all around.

    Cheers,

    KP
    Crap, that was a lot faster reply than I was expecting! Thanks! I thought it should fit on the fork. Awesome!

  7. #7
    Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Reputation: Kirk Pacenti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,629
    Quote Originally Posted by the_colorado_kid
    Who's on board w/ forks? Anybody besides White Brothers and converting a Maverick?

    Fwiw, I like the White's best...

    I thought you might like to know that White Brothers will be producing a run of suspension forks for 650B wheels starting on Monday, August 20th.
    If you are interested in purchasing a fork for an upcoming 650B MTB frame project, please contact me off list for details and pricing.


    Here are the forks that White Brothers can currently offer in the 650B format along with some critical dimensions for frame design:

    All forks will have a measurement of 363mm (+/-2mm) from axle to underside of brace. And all QR forks will have a 44mm offset and all 20mm forks will have a 42mm offset.

    650B Magic 80 A/C 464mm - QR or 20mm

    650B Magic 100 A/C 484mm - QR or 20mm

    650B Fluid 100 A/C 484mm - QR or 20mm

    650B Fluid 130 A/C 517mm - 20mm axle only

    Please contact me by Friday to insure your order can be placed in time to meet the production schedule. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me off list.

    Sincerely,

    Kirk Pacenti
    Pacenti Cycle Design
    If you like my products and services tell everyone. If you don't, tell me - kirk(at)pacenticycledesign.com

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •