Administrator Administrator

Bionicon Usa Launches With A Huge Response

For Immediate Release:

Bionicon USA debuts the first "on the fly" ADJUSTABLE SUSPENSION and GEOMETRY MOUNTAIN BIKES

Ridgecrest, California: Bionicon USA officially launches the first line of "on the fly" ADJUSTABLE SUSPENSION and GEOMETRY mountain bikes at the Sea Otter Classic in Monterey, California. The response was phenomenal, with a constant flow of riders checking out the bikes and filling the booth throughout the four-day event. Representatives of the media also stopped by to see why the BIONICON technology was generating such a buzz.

What is the BIONICON SYSTEM? Have you ever watched a mountain goat go up and down hills? If so, you might have noticed that goats keep their body relatively level whether ascending or descending, adjusting their legs to the terrain. This simple observation in nature inspired a concept for a bike that mimics the goats' versatility in both climbing and descending, a "BIONIC CONCEPT" and BIONICON was born.

Professional snowboard freerider and Co-Founder of Steepwater Snowboards Paul Ferguson has joined forces with BIONICON and is heading up the US division. Paul has prepared BIONICON USA to become a huge presence in the mountain bike industry over the next few years. Look for a progressive marketing and growth strategy from BIONICON beginning in the grass roots with the "BIONICON Bros, Beer, BBQ and Bikes Demo Tour" getting out there and growing into the mainstream marketing, with a direction of their own.

This 05 season the BIONICON demo tour has a huge schedule to visit events and group rides from the Rockies to the Pacific. Check the www.bionicon.com website for the tour schedule (to be posted). Look for the BIONICON DEMO VAN in your area soon.

Attached is the BIONICON Story, pictures, specs and prices for all the info. Also available online in high resolution and PDF files online at http://bioniconus.com/download

Email: paul@bioniconus.com
    Cell: (760) 608-3566

- end -

The BIONICON Story

Seven years ago a group of friends were out riding one of their favorite local trails in the Bavarian Alps when they came across a group of wild mountain goats. Exhausted and nearly to the top of their ride the group decides to take a break and watch the goats for a while. Andi Felsl, intently observing the goats, had a revelation that would push mountain bike suspension technology dramatically forward.

Mountain Goats are amazing creatures with the natural ability of adapting instantly to the terrain, moving up and down steep slopes with great ease. Andi made the simple observation that when going up hill the goats would extend their rear legs and shorten their front legs, likewise, they do just the opposite when coming down hill. Consequently the body of the goat remains relatively horizontal whether going up or down. Andi decided he wanted to make a bike that would do the same thing, mimicking nature, a “BIONIC CONCEPT”, thus BIONICON was born.

Andi’s first concept was to attach a snowboard ratchet strap around a forks crown and brace. On the approach to a climb Andi would reach forward to the ratchet and compress down his fork completely, creating a nearly rigid bike with a steep head angle, improving the bikes climbing capabilities. This was not enough for Andi; he wanted a bike that would completely change its feel and performance instantly with an integrated front and rear suspension system.

The first step was to design and patent the system. Andi joined forces with engineer and designer Stephan Albrecht to bring his idea to reality. Once the design was completed and the Patents secured, Andi brought his idea to the Mountain bike industry with the hopes of developing his product with a partner. No one believed it would work or at the very least work well, so Andi and Stephan had to develop, produce and prove the product on their own. During BIONICON’s first years Andi and Stephan struggled and succeeded with finding investment and working out the bugs in this new technology, as well as bringing sales and marketing man Daniel Kohl on board. After five years on the European Market the current system and brand image is now tried, true and ready for the world.

BIONICON USA launched in April 2005 with Professional Snowboard Freerider and Co-founder of Steepwater Snowboards Paul Ferguson at the helm. Paul has prepared BIONICON to make a big move into the American Mountain bike industry over the next few years. The plan starts and grows from the grass roots, focused on promoting the new suspension and brand name to the media, the shops and the riders until we are a strong presence in the US media and market. Mountain Bike Action featured the prototype system a few years ago with a largely positive response, only commenting that further development was necessary. BIONICON will continue to be the leader in adjustable suspension technology and have a growing presence in the media, at major events, races and gatherings over the next years.
    Attached Images Attached Images

i heart singletrack

I rode one of these bikes recently in Fruita...

I had the opportunity to camp and ride with Bionicon USA's Paul Ferguson in early-April, and rode one of the Bionicon Edison (6" travel) bikes. It was quite an eye opener, to say the least. The geometry adjustment feature actually works very well, and overall, the bike was a solid performer, and weighed in at right at 30lbs, which is incredible for a bike like this.

If you have a chance, you should definitely check 'em out.
    Attached Images Attached Images

contains quinine
    Quote Originally Posted by mgersib
    I had the opportunity to camp and ride with Bionicon USA's Paul Ferguson in early-April, and rode one of the Bionicon Edison (6" travel) bikes. It was quite an eye opener, to say the least. The geometry adjustment feature actually works very well, and overall, the bike was a solid performer, and weighed in at right at 30lbs, which is incredible for a bike like this.

You were launching that thing with no fear, after just hopping on it. That picture doesn't show the speed you were hucking at. I'm excited to see the shorter and longer travel versions too.

Can't wait for the van to come back around for another round!
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

i heart singletrack

No kiddin BG...

... that was one fun time! We had the Tali-Van rockin!!

Fergie -- if you're out there -- Hope the road is treatin' you well. It'd be sweet if you could make it to CO for memorial day, but that may just be another one of by daydreams!

Cheers,
    MG

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I tooled around on one of these at Sea Otter it was pretty cool. Push the button on the bar and shift your weight to change the geometry. The reps were pretty cool, I hope this idea catches on.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mgersib

mgersib,

You sure do look good on that bike! We had a great time out there in the valley with you and the guys from the midwest. I look forward to chasing you (i mean, eating your dust)down another trail this weekend!

I wish my Golden Willow Bioicon would be out here by this weekend. I can't wait to ride it after riding the Edison throughout the winter.

Bionicon Rider
    Apr 2005

Fruita and Nuts

Had a great time with you guys out there. I will have golden Willows and Sm Edisons when I see you for the next ride. Bionicon demo tour schedule will be up soon, in the Rockies for june

Be Well
    Fergy

i heart singletrack

Yes!

Thanks for the message Fergy. After the fun I had on your Edison out in Fruita, I can't wait to ride the new bikes! I'll keep an eye on www.bionicon.com for your schedule. If you're coming through Nebraska, always feel free to stop in Lincoln and say hi. I know a bunch of the locals here that'd love to get a glimpse of a Bionicon for the first time!

Peace and Pedro's grease,
    MG

banned
    Sep 2007
    Just placed my order for an Edison Large after demoing one Labor Day weekend up at Mammoth Mountain, CA. Where else can you get an air shocked 150mm front and rear for under $3000 with medium /good components that is two bikes in one? I was wondering if it was worth the wait, cause someone else was out demoing the size frame I needed and was running late on returning it, guess they were having too much fun!

I don't know about "hucking" it, my huevos are still Grande, but the bones and joints don't bounce back like they used to. But as a Clydesdale, if anyone can stress equipment, I can, and will. Looking forward to my new ride. Mr. CaJones, over and out!

lurker extraordinaire
    Is there a place where you can see what MSRP is on the Edison? There's an Edison II at one of the lbs's around here, but I would like to have somewhat of a clue on the "going price" of the bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I paid about $3000 for my Edison 1 three years ago, but I know the dollar was stronger then, and things have changed. I think the 2 is about $2800 and change. FergyRock has the details if you PM him.
    http://www.bioniconusa.com - Bionicon USA
    http://otbmbc.com - Over the Bars MTB Club
    http://corbamtb.com - CORBA