mtbr member

30 Haro Demo Bikes Stolen

Hey everyone,

Over the weekend (9/29-9/30), our trailer and rental Penske van were broken into while parked here at our Vista, CA headquarters. About 30 used mountain bikes were stolen that were used at Interbike On Dirt Demo last week. Whatever dirt bags did this knew that there were bikes back there since our gates are locked. They also cherry picked, leaving a few single speed rigid 29ers behind.

Anyhow, it's sort of pointless to give a complete list with sizes, but here's sort of the run down:

4 Werx Sonix (crema color)
    1 Sonix LT (Grey)
    5 Sonix S (copper)
    4 Werx Xeons (Pearl White...2 have 650b wheels)
    4 Xeon S (Grey)
    3 Mary SS 29er (1 ginger, 1 lt blue, 1 green)
    5 Mary XC 29er (4 tangerine, 1 green)
    1 Thread One (green/black fade)
    1 Flightline Expert (cream color)
    1 alloy 29er hardtail prototype; black with green graphics, green RST M29 fork
    1 Masi CXR cross bike (my personal bike)

If anyone has any information or sees Haro bikes listed anywhere, please let me know right away. Please spread the word. I can be reached via PM here, or at 800-289-4276.

Thanks guys. This is a truly heartbreaking morning for us.

Jill
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

this is awful----let's come together and find these stolen bikes!

i had a chance to say hello to everyone who worked the Haro booth at Interbike. People, these are some of the hardest working people in our industry, who give so much back to our sport. this is just awful that such a crime would happen to them. they worked so tirelessly to make their interbike as best as possible....to come home after all their hard work and get their bikes stolen is such a slap in the face.....it makes me upset thinking about it.

please.....everyone......keep your eyes AND ears out for these used bikes on craigslist and in local papers as well as word of mouth----let's get the word out so these CRIMINALS will be caught and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. please forward this information to anyone you know, especially in the So. Cal area......let's pull together and find these bikes and thiefs.....and show Haro Bikes how much we care about them.

stand up and take action....do whatever you can to find these bikes and criminals.....

thanks,
    soulcraft

Administrator Administrator
    Damn, Jill, sorry to hear that....

I know people will say, "bikes get stolen from Interbike every year...", but this wasn't even AT Interbike!

Will try and spread the word...

-g

(edit: global forum announcement now posted.)

My arm hurts a little
    Damn 30!!! HOLY $HIT!! ALl be checking CL & Ebay.
    Hardtail downhill
    https://youtu.be/sXhWDoz7_CM
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    tresspassing, thievery and poaching is all part of a DH'ers life

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    sorry, Jill... I hope the scumbags are caught!

Rock Star!!!
    30 is to many, it must have taken a few people to pull this off , one of them will crack under pressure . give them a week.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    unfortunatlely, I have to believe they will be sold as parts and not bikes. They will be stripped and parted out... I would even be surprised to even see a frame on Ebay...etc

Sad that people still do this crap

General Rabble-Rouser
    That's bad for our whole sport. It also tarnishes Interbike's dirt demo.

Cherry picking out the less valuable bikes, going into a locked compound...Sounds like a very well orchestrated inside-job

They will be caught. Karma is a biatch

mtbr member
    What a bummer that must have been after such a successful show? I am sure that they won't get away with it.

mtbr member
    I hope they are recovered. I'll keep an eye out for the 29ers if they show up on the web.

pewpewpew Moderator
    Jill that is SO messed up! You guy will have a lot of eyes on the lookout....
    Love, Impy

Specialized Rida
    Quote Originally Posted by downhilljill
    Hey everyone,

Over the weekend (9/29-9/30), our trailer and rental Penske van were broken into while parked here at our Vista, CA headquarters. About 30 used mountain bikes were stolen that were used at Interbike On Dirt Demo last week. Whatever dirt bags did this knew that there were bikes back there since our gates are locked. They also cherry picked, leaving a few single speed rigid 29ers behind.

Anyhow, it's sort of pointless to give a complete list with sizes, but here's sort of the run down:

1 Sonix LT (Grey)
    5 Sonix S (copper)
    4 Xeon S (Grey)

If anyone has any information or sees Haro bikes listed anywhere, please let me know right away. Please spread the word. I can be reached via PM here, or at 800-289-4276.

Jill
    Wow, that really sucks.. So I take it you guy's won't be at Southridge this weekend. I was actually looking forward to riding some of your bikes.

I hope everything works out. Vista/North county is fairly small so word should travel fast. Someone has to know something.

rock hard or hardrock
    thats pretty lame of some people to do....

hope you get them back (or atleast some of them) ad find the scum bags who did this...
    www.transitionbikes.com

"The journey of 1,000 miles begins with one step" -Bear Grylls

Pivotal figure
    What a load of !@%!! Time to start scouring E-Bay and Craig's...

Harmonius Wrench

I'll send out the message!

Jill, a sad, sad day indeed! I'll put out the word on my blog and at Twenty Nine Inches.

For what it's worth, Salsa, who had a bunch of demo bikes ripped last year, got almost all of them back eventually. I pray the same thing happens for your company.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by downhilljill
    Hey everyone,

1 Sonix LT (Grey)
    5 Sonix S (copper)
    4 Xeon S (Grey)

Jill

Keep your eyes peeled for the 29" alloy frame and the fork that accompanies it - they are both rare. Also watch for the 650B wheel stuff - not many of these wheel sets and tires floating around either.

Hopefully these scumbags will try and sell the stuff even if it is parted out, and due to the rarity of these parts - they will be caught!

I'll keep my eyes peeled!

Weekend Warrior
    I just checked on eBay and found this

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-2007-HARO-Ma...QQcmdZViewItem

Is this one of your bikes?

I'm sorry to hear that. I remember when my $500 (that's in the late 80's) got stolen when I was a teenager. I was heartbroken.... I hope you get those bastards and the bikes....

cmh
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by daleksic
    I just checked on eBay and found this

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-2007-HARO-Ma...QQcmdZViewItem

Is this one of your bikes?
    First bid was the 28th... before the theft happened.

mtbr member
    May one of the seatpost snap in half, leaving a jagged knife edge, and tear the thieve's scrotum from A to Z

Weekend Warrior
    Sorry about that, I got too excited and didn't look, but eBay is probably your best bet if someone's trying to unload a bike. Probably trying to get it accross/out of the state.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skate
    Wow, that really sucks.. So I take it you guy's won't be at Southridge this weekend. I was actually looking forward to riding some of your bikes.

I hope everything works out. Vista/North county is fairly small so word should travel fast. Someone has to know something.
    Sadly, probably not. Earlier that evening, the trailer snapped an axle on the trailer right down the street from Haro. It was limped a couple of blocks and parked around back. Normally the trailer gets parked inside or down in one of the loading bays, but since it was a little unstable, it was left outside. In case the cops want to come back and dust for prints, we need to have it closeby for a while.

So no bikes and no trailer. No demo.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slack_er
    May one of the seatpost snap in half, leaving a jagged knife edge, and tear the thieve's scrotum from A to Z

One can only hope.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

wow

Sorry to hear this !!

mtbr member
    This is a matter to take into our own hands, I say screw prosecution,
    In the words of the "Corpse"
    These biatches need to be Stripped, Rhaped and Strangled

Retro Cannondale Addict
    Do these things normally end up on CL's across the country? Or would they just ship them overseas? Where did Salsa recover most of theirs? Anyone know?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by freebiker
    This is a matter to take into our own hands, I say screw prosecution,
    In the words of the "Corpse"
    These biatches need to be Stripped, Rhaped and Strangled
    Wow...that's a bit much, ya' think??? I guess if you wanna' go stripping and raping a bunch of bike thieves (who are most likely dudes) then have at it...

mtbr member
    No....... North County is NOT small......................

I grew up in Leucadia, 3rd generation San Dieguito, small was when you could go to the beach at Ponto and there'd be nobody there, small was when Carlsbad had flowers, small was when Vista was " po-dunk " nothing.

So Cal is huge with Profesional crime, if that many bikes went it took several people and more than that " info " on what was in the van. And the get away vehicle had to be big for 30 bikes.

I once owned a small snowboard shop here in Oregon and we got ripped off by 5 guys and within 1 hour all of our snowboards had been scattered 20 miles. We caught the guys and got judgements against them, each for about 2500.00........ I reciecved 1 payment of 200.00 and the next year I got a payment of 12.50............... 212.50 on about 12,000.00 worth of judgements.

Any news reports?????

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    That sucks!

Suggest you post the stolen bikes report on every mtn bike board you can find.
    eg NSMB, Pinkbike, Ridemonkey, etc.

Good luck with finding the bikes and the guilty parties.

Lord of the Chainrings
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

mtbr member
    Mudd........
    thats a couple weeks old.............

mtbr member
    May 2007
    that sucks!

Didn't some haros get stolen last year too?? Whats the deal??

"we still hang bike thieves in wyoming"

banned

2008 SS Mary Lt Blue???

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    You don't just walk down the street and throw thirty bikes in the back of a pickup truck. These guys deserve to be prosecuted and punished as much as possible.

Portland, OR
    www.craigslist.com
    www.pinkbike.com
    www.ridemonkey.com
    www.ebay.com

The only way not involving the internet, the people could put up signs around town "new 2008 haro" check the local papers! Haro really has done a lot for the sport, they're a pretty chill company. lets all REALLY keep an eye out for this stuff. maybe we should report every 2008 haro we see here? Take a quick glance at a few 08 haro's memorize some of the components. look for "OEM 2008 marzocchi's" and stuff like that being sold.

Jill and haro team, really sorry to hear about the theft. I will keep a close watch for anything to pop up. lets not let these guys get away.
    Ibex bikes

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

Retro Cannondale Addict
    I hate to play devil's advocate with a sensitive situation like this but it is really starting to sound like a witch hunt around here. There are a lot of honest and reputable people selling legitimate stuff on Craigs List and Ebay, myself included. Some people here have been listing auctions that started before Interbike even ended. Let's not punish 1000's of people because of the crimes of a few.

Don't get me wrong, I hope these crooks get what's coming to them, but as members of the bike community, we should not start a witch hunt. Instead, use some reasoning and basic sleuth deduction and not harass all of our fellow bikers and suppliers looking to make a few bucks on bike parts.

Okay, I'm off my soapbox now.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all of the support, everyone!

No real developments at this point other than the story seems to have caught the eye of someone working in our local sheriff's department and they are giving it priority. Sad thing is many municipalities consider bikes toys. In this case, it just happened to be about $70K worth of toys, so it caught their attention.

We'll keep ya'll posted!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat tyres
    Saw it. If you've ever been to On Dirt Demo in Bootleg, you'll know that none of these bikes can be passed of as new! They were all pretty damn filthy.

Trying a little
    I've written it before on othe r stolen bike threads but try http://www.crazedlist.org to search all craigslist sites at once.

Quote Originally Posted by todd_freeride
    www.craigslist.com
    www.pinkbike.com
    www.ridemonkey.com
    www.ebay.com

The only way not involving the internet, the people could put up signs around town "new 2008 haro" check the local papers! Haro really has done a lot for the sport, they're a pretty chill company. lets all REALLY keep an eye out for this stuff. maybe we should report every 2008 haro we see here? Take a quick glance at a few 08 haro's memorize some of the components. look for "OEM 2008 marzocchi's" and stuff like that being sold.

Jill and haro team, really sorry to hear about the theft. I will keep a close watch for anything to pop up. lets not let these guys get away.

I never apologize. I'm sorry, but that's just the way I am.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

that s*cks

sorry to hear the bad news. living in nyc, stolen bikes are everyday news.
    i'll spread the word on the nycmtb forums and others here.

i've been keeping my eyes out for a sonix werx frame for myself and watching one on ebay for a few days. i think this one's legit, it's a bike shop.

i was also just turned onto a website called meetup.com where you can post specific group events like mountain biking. i've noticed people selling stuff on there too. i'll post the news on the NY region.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    jill,

do you have serial numbers potential buyers can cross reference to?

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mogul218
    Do these things normally end up on CL's across the country? Or would they just ship them overseas? Where did Salsa recover most of theirs? Anyone know?
    Usually locally but the # of bikes is amazing, was a definite planed hit.

Sorry to hear the fued news Jill.

Frigin jagged bent post in arz twisted around is better suited.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

I heart bikes!
    Most burglerys like that are definatly inside jobs. Check in with people who were involved at interbike, look for mannerisms when asking people about it. You might get an idea who it was.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetchiba51
    Most burglerys like that are definatly inside jobs. Check in with people who were involved at interbike, look for mannerisms when asking people about it. You might get an idea who it was.
    I'd be more interested in knowing who had knowledge of the trailer being broken down and out in the yard...

either there was a gang of kids that simply rode the bikes away, or someone knew that they would need another way to snatch the bikes because the trailer (which would have been the easiest way to grab em all quickly) was not road-worthy...

Raidero desde Torino
    Apr 2007
    I spread the voice down here in Italy. The internet might make things easier to sell, but it makes also more difficult to hide things! If all the bicycle community worldwide keeps an eye open for those 30 Haros, they stand no chances to sell them easely.
    BTW. Somebody stole my City SS two weeks ago. Sigh!

just rub some dirt on it
    Nov 2005
    Jill
    Sorry to hear this news...it is a real bummer. I am most sorry to
    hear that they took your Masi.......the other bikes can be replaced,
    that Masi and the story behind it cannot. I'll keep an eye out for them
    and keep my fingers crossed that you get the Masi back.

Just lookin around
    Great I just bought a werx xeon frame from greenfishsports.com about 3 weeks ago finally got it put together and planned on taking it out sunday I am going to get mad dogged all day long I will have to sport my reciept in my camelbak cause I live here in san diego.

Members who have read this thread: 0