Metalheadbikerider

Vigilante justice to combat bike thieves?

The tax base for law enforcement here in ORYGUN is so weak that I can drive all the way down I-5 without ever seeing a police officer, literally! That may not be a bad thing, but the lack of police to deal with smaller things like bike thieves is a big deal to me. Some time ago the police set-up a trap with a Cannondale Scalpel and the thief got away!
    So, lately on craigslist for Portland I have seen a flurry of posts related to a little vigilante justice for bike thieves ala the Minutemen.

If police cannot deal with a problem that is getting out of hand, should the citizens do something about it? Has anyone heard of something like this happening in their neck of the woods? What else can be done?
    Bike thieves suck.....
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by free-agent
    The tax base for law enforcement here in ORYGUN is so weak that I can drive all the way down I-5 without ever seeing a police officer, literally! That may not be a bad thing, but the lack of police to deal with smaller things like bike thieves is a big deal to me. Some time ago the police set-up a trap with a Cannondale Scalpel and the thief got away!
    So, lately on craigslist for Portland I have seen a flurry of posts related to a little vigilante justice for bike thieves ala the Minutemen.

If police cannot deal with a problem that is getting out of hand, should the citizens do something about it? Has anyone heard of something like this happening in their neck of the woods? What else can be done?
    Bike thieves suck.....

There is no god. People who buy hot bikes suck! "Full replacement value" insurance is the best insurance. Not that it covers sentimental value. I can tell you have been a victim...sorry.

Metalheadbikerider

Yep-

Quote Originally Posted by BadHabit
    There is no god. People who buy hot bikes suck! "Full replacement value" insurance is the best insurance. Not that it covers sentimental value. I can tell you have been a victim...sorry.
    In 8th grade some dude (he actually died in a motorcycle accident a few years later) stole my pimped out JMC bxm bike. I was racing at the time so it killed me...

I'm just really curious to see what people here in Portland are going to do about it, it really is becoming an epidemic.
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by free-agent
    In 8th grade some dude (he actually died in a motorcycle accident a few years later) stole my pimped out JMC bxm bike. I was racing at the time so it killed me...

I'm just really curious to see what people here in Portland are going to do about it, it really is becoming an epidemic.

The Scalpel story must be good..bad..

I've had five (5) stolen over the years--from garage break-ins. Kept looking for years afterwards, but I hear they mostly end up on barges headed to the Caribbean.

One time I even knew who did it, too, but...I've been wrong before.

Good luck there.

banned
    i was really heave into BMX in the late 70's and early 80's and had three tricked out bikes stolen one at the local arcade they just cut the locks and rode off on three expensive bikes the next one was stolen out of our garage and the last one a SE Quad angle i was knocked off of and the thieves threw in the back of their truck and drove off.

i cried my eyes out because i had saved for so long to get the SE Quad Angle and had it in the "team colors" all the way from California to see it taken so easily from some thugs in a truck.

i keep all out mtb/road/cyclocross bikes in the house

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankBooth

That's terrible. Takes a while to get over that crap.

House is where they belong. Living in a walkup apartment, the garage was tempting. It seemed safer after the first time and the lock was beefed up, but no.

I like to look at them anyway.*

*I had a friend who kept his bikes in the bedroom until his wife caught him looking at the bikes when they were making love. heh heh

We de MAMMY NUNS!

Vigilante Justice?

Please post a link(s) to the craigslist post(s) regarding the minutemen. I'd like see what they're doing. Seems like a lot of bikes get stolen around here, too. I had one taken off the top of my car at work. Pissed me off! I don't have an automatic opener on my garage. I also put a screwdriver in one of the holes of the door track just above one of the rollers and the garage door has a contact connected to the alarm system. Oh yeah, our viscous, killer kitty cat is in the garage when we leave so he doesn't trigger the motion detectors. That makes me feel safe!

Metalheadbikerider

Same here....

i was really heave into BMX in the late 70's and early 80's and had three tricked out bikes stolen one at the local arcade they just cut the locks and rode off on three expensive bikes the next one was stolen out of our garage and the last one a SE Quad angle i was knocked off of and the thieves threw in the back of their truck and drove off.

i cried my eyes out because i had saved for so long to get the SE Quad Angle and had it in the "team colors" all the way from California to see it taken so easily from some thugs in a truck.

balled my ass off when the JMC was stolen, man that hurt.
    Too bad that quadangle isn't still in your possession, it's really valuable now. It's funny where you find commonalities with others.

mtbr member

Ahh the Quad Angle. I got my Quad round about '81. I loved that bike. I had many a BMX bikes, but nothing came close to my quad. I actually kept it around all of these years. Don't really know why, I just couldn't get rid of it. A couple of years ago I pulled it out of the attic. All that was left was the frame, fork, bars and a few small parts. The paint was sh*t so I had the frame and fork powder coated. Anyway I put it up on ebay to see what I would get for it. Little did I know but a looptail SE Quad Angle is highly sought after and I ended up getting $1100 for that frame and fork. And to think I almost just gave it away. I still miss that bike though. I have not enjoyed any other bike as much as that one.

mtbr member
    Steal my car, kick my dog and beat me up but gosh darnit!! dont even think of messing with bikes....

I dont condone vigilantes, but for bikes thieves it seems warranted....
    Break out the bats boys and watch ebay and classifieds......!

(mostly tongue in cheek)

Ive never had my bikes stolen... I do keep them in my kitchen...
    We should have a strong president, strong enough to resist the temptation of taking power that a pres shouldnt have-Ron Paul

orthonormal
    Quote Originally Posted by Felpur
    Steal my car, kick my dog and beat me up but gosh darnit!! dont even think of messing with bikes....

I dont condone vigilantes, but for bikes thieves it seems warranted....
    Break out the bats boys and watch ebay and classifieds......!

(mostly tongue in cheek)

Ive never had my bikes stolen... I do keep them in my kitchen...
    Several years ago, a friend of mine caught a guy red-handed in the act of stealing his bike on the Chico state campus. You hockey players will know this trick: He pulled the thief's shirt up over his head so he couldn't see and couldn't move his arms very well and beat the sh!t out of him. Then he dragged the thief to the campus police station.

I keep my bikes in the garage but i'm safe because my neighborhood has a faux gate at the entrance.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

gentle like
    Quote Originally Posted by andy f
    Several years ago, a friend of mine caught a guy red-handed in the act of stealing his bike on the Chico state campus. You hockey players will know this trick: He pulled the thief's shirt up over his head so he couldn't see and couldn't move his arms very well and beat the sh!t out of him. Then he dragged the thief to the campus police station.

I keep my bikes in the garage but i'm safe because my neighborhood has a faux gate at the entrance.
    I believe the correct (Canadian) term is that your buddy "jerseyed" the thief.

The act is to "jersey" someone.

mtbr member
    jersey someone...that makes sense.... Good to hear the bike thief got what they deserved. I wager they never tried to steal another bike... I live in Maine so it's not a very high crime place in general...
    We should have a strong president, strong enough to resist the temptation of taking power that a pres shouldnt have-Ron Paul