Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    banned
    Reputation: Nuboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    15,626

    TU24...The "Potentially Hazardous Asteroid" or is it "The Armageddon asteroid"??

    http://www.tu24.org/

    I know there's a few people out there shitting their pants thinking that this thing will hit.

    Of course, NASA wouldn't tell us if it was...

    http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...5/ai_n12678223


    "A SCIENTIFIC adviser to the United States government has suggested that secrecy might be the best option if scientists were ever to discover that a giant asteroid was on course to collide with Earth.

    In certain circumstances, nothing could be done to avoid such a collision and ensuing destruction, and it would be best not to tell the public anything, said Geoffrey Sommer, of the Rand Corporation in Santa Monica, California."

  2. #2
    gentle like
    Reputation: kept man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    14,850
    Just for you, Nu, I will be cheering for the Bruce Willis option.

  3. #3
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    3,610
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuboy
    http://www.tu24.org/

    I know there's a few people out there shitting their pants thinking that this thing will hit.

    Of course, NASA wouldn't tell us if it was...

    http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...5/ai_n12678223


    "A SCIENTIFIC adviser to the United States government has suggested that secrecy might be the best option if scientists were ever to discover that a giant asteroid was on course to collide with Earth.

    In certain circumstances, nothing could be done to avoid such a collision and ensuing destruction, and it would be best not to tell the public anything, said Geoffrey Sommer, of the Rand Corporation in Santa Monica, California."
    I've mapped several astroblems. They often make great oil traps.

    Yeah, they're scary as hell.

    We do need to build the tools to make them miss earth. We probably have a good hit every 10,000 years or so, and then a truly large one every million, then a mega one every 100 million.

    Older rock locations "show" more.

  4. #4
    outdoor miner
    Reputation: leximog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,514
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuboy
    http://www.tu24.org/

    I know there's a few people out there shitting their pants thinking that this thing will hit.

    Of course, NASA wouldn't tell us if it was...

    http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...5/ai_n12678223


    "A SCIENTIFIC adviser to the United States government has suggested that secrecy might be the best option if scientists were ever to discover that a giant asteroid was on course to collide with Earth.

    In certain circumstances, nothing could be done to avoid such a collision and ensuing destruction, and it would be best not to tell the public anything, said Geoffrey Sommer, of the Rand Corporation in Santa Monica, California."
    Always looking for the "next end of the world".

    This one is pretty good you know, we should try and take care of it while we are here.
    [SIZE=-1]Experience is like a comb that life gives you when you are bald[/SIZE]

  5. #5
    banned
    Reputation: Nuboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    15,626
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystery Shopper
    I've mapped several astroblems. They often make great oil traps.

    Yeah, they're scary as hell.

    We do need to build the tools to make them miss earth. We probably have a good hit every 10,000 years or so, and then a truly large one every million, then a mega one every 100 million.

    Older rock locations "show" more.
    Me, you and Sporty should get together tomorrow...'cause on Tuesday, we could all be goners..

    Of course, it that doesn't get us there always H5N1 and Solar cycle 24 to worry about..

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_spread_of_H5N1



    http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2...larcycle24.htm

    To be honest, old buddy, I think we're up Shit Creek without the paddle...

  6. #6
    banned
    Reputation: Nuboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    15,626
    Quote Originally Posted by leximog
    Always looking for the "next end of the world".

    This one is pretty good you know, we should try and take care of it while we are here.
    It won't matter Lex....we've got 'till 2012 at the latest. That's when the Mayan Calendar ends, you know...

  7. #7
    outdoor miner
    Reputation: leximog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,514
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuboy
    It won't matter Lex....we've got 'till 2012 at the latest. That's when the Mayan Calendar ends, you know...
    Why do you think I moved to the boonies?

    Might as well enjoy my last days living in peace
    [SIZE=-1]Experience is like a comb that life gives you when you are bald[/SIZE]

  8. #8
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    3,610
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuboy
    Me, you and Sporty should get together tomorrow...'cause on Tuesday, we could all be goners..

    Of course, it that doesn't get us there always H5N1 and Solar cycle 24 to worry about..

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_spread_of_H5N1



    http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2...larcycle24.htm

    To be honest, old buddy, I think we're up Shit Creek without the paddle...

    You bring up a good point.

    I know nothing of calculating risk, but it sort of fascinates me as a subject anyway, Especially the "correct" perception of risk. We tend to be way too afraid of some things, like mountain lion attacks, and way too little afraid of others, like driving in your car.

  9. #9
    banned
    Reputation: Nuboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    15,626
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystery Shopper
    You bring up a good point.

    I know nothing of calculating risk, but it sort of fascinates me as a subject anyway, Especially the "correct" perception of risk. We tend to be way too afraid of some things, like mountain lion attacks, and way too little afraid of others, like driving in your car.
    To be honest, I'm probably a little more worried about H5N 1 than I am about TU24 or Solar Cycle 24....

    Of course, that's not saying that neither can't happen...but the pandemic is a scary thought.

    How about MRSA? We had one of our wrestlers come down with it on his head. It was nasty, he had surgery to remove it.

  10. #10
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    3,610
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuboy
    To be honest, I'm probably a little more worried about H5N 1 than I am about TU24 or Solar Cycle 24....

    Of course, that's not saying that neither can't happen...but the pandemic is a scary thought.

    How about MRSA? We had one of our wrestlers come down with it on his head. It was nasty, he had surgery to remove it.
    your wrestler ... wow ....

    Like Zen or somebody on here said, we don't know which bug will pop up, I read somewhere HN51 just needed one-two mutations more, and it was good to cause a pandemic.

    But really, with this much interconnected humanity, a deadly bug is probably our biggest risk.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    11,235
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystery Shopper
    your wrestler ... wow ....

    Like Zen or somebody on here said, we don't know which bug will pop up, I read somewhere HN51 just needed one-two mutations more, and it was good to cause a pandemic.

    But really, with this much interconnected humanity, a deadly bug is probably our biggest risk.
    Of course he is a wrestler, you don't think he likes those fags he takes pictures of.

    So global warming is notthe big risk you suggested it was???

    Come on walt we have talked about this a consistent mind is the mark of a sane mind.

  12. #12
    banned
    Reputation: Nuboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    15,626
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystery Shopper
    your wrestler ... wow ....

    Like Zen or somebody on here said, we don't know which bug will pop up, I read somewhere HN51 just needed one-two mutations more, and it was good to cause a pandemic.

    But really, with this much interconnected humanity, a deadly bug is probably our biggest risk.
    Yeah...the poor kid. We think he may have gotten it at a tournament at another school. We called the school. They had to notify the parents of every kid who wrestled in the tournament, especially the kids he wrestled and all the kids who wrestled on the same mat. It was a 20 team tournament.

    I called the parents of every wrestler on the team and told them there was a possible exposure to MRSA. We mop down the mats with QUATS, a State recommended disinfectant before and after practice and subject the kids to "grooming checks" before and after practice and they have to take supervised showers (I know I could take a few hits for that one-but we are serious about it) after practice...

  13. #13
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    3,610
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott
    Of course he is a wrestler, you don't think he likes those fags he takes pictures of.

    So global warming is notthe big risk you suggested it was???

    Come on walt we have talked about this a consistent mind is the mark of a sane mind.
    Jeff

    Don't be dishonest.

    Our discussion has mostly been about the existence of GCC or not.

    The danger from it, is another issue. It's one I've talked about some, but much less than my understanding that GCC exists and is accelerating due to man.

    The danger, is much hard to plumb:
    a) sea level rise decreases man's habitat
    b) food supply
    3) biome shifts that are detrimental
    5) hot arctic .... ????
    6) corals
    7) One I think most about .... relatively sudden collapse of the last two ice sheets on earth; Greenland and the Antarctic. That's the one that really grabs me as possibly immediately dangerous. I don't think we really know how fast an ice sheet can decay, and I have an intuition MUCH faster than we've ever thought possible.

    There are many more ... but most of these are speculative.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kingbozo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    713
    We probably have a good hit every 10,000 years or so, and then a truly large one every million, then a mega one every 100 million.


    Good thing the earth is only 6000 years old!

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Managuense's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    2,067

    I have plotted where it will hit

    KITB-"I got no beef with the terrorists"
    KITB-"It's always the college-degree-lacking bolt sorters that say such things"

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    11,235
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystery Shopper
    Jeff

    Don't be dishonest.

    Our discussion has mostly been about the existence of GCC or not.

    The danger from it, is another issue. It's one I've talked about some, but much less than my understanding that GCC exists and is accelerating due to man.

    The danger, is much hard to plumb:
    a) sea level rise decreases man's habitat
    b) food supply
    3) biome shifts that are detrimental
    5) hot arctic .... ????
    6) corals
    7) One I think most about .... relatively sudden collapse of the last two ice sheets on earth; Greenland and the Antarctic. That's the one that really grabs me as possibly immediately dangerous. I don't think we really know how fast an ice sheet can decay, and I have an intuition MUCH faster than we've ever thought possible.

    There are many more ... but most of these are speculative.
    So Walt which is viruses bacteria, or global warming, better yet list the percentages.

    Me I going to adapt, course that means we need to find good wives but there it is you got to pick your wife carefully,well usually the pick you, which of course makes it all their fault...

  17. #17
    we have fossils, we win
    Reputation: LosingSleep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,077
    T T T
    Only the most deluded of us could doubt the necessity of this war. ~John McCain

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •