Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    banned

Somethng to get you liberals into a mouth frothing frenzy...

http://www.bakersfield.com/hourly_ne...y/249302.htmlp

City set to revisit motto
    Vegas wants 'In God We Trust' in classrooms

BY JESSICA LOGAN, Californian staff writer
    e-mail: jlogan@bakersfield.com | Sunday, Sep 30 2007 11:05 PM

Last Updated: Sunday, Sep 30 2007 11:14 PM

If history is any indication, a powder keg of controversy will likely be ignited tonight at the Kern High School District board meeting when trustee Chad Vegas is set to propose that "In God We Trust" be posted in every classroom in the district.

Vegas said Bakersfield City Councilwoman Jacquie Sullivan's non-profit organization, In God We Trust -- America, Inc., will donate the posters. She proposed the idea to him.

Sullivan said she thinks it is important to inspire the young with patriotism.

"There are those that are trying to remove God from our public life, and I do not think that is right and I think the national motto is important for that reason," Sullivan said in a telephone interview Sunday night.

Sullivan was successful in her bid to get the phrase "In God We Trust" posted in the council chambers of Bakersfield City Hall in 2002 and eventually in getting it into 11 cities in Kern County and 26 cities in the state.

She said 17 states across the nation have already approved the signs in schools.

But KHSD trustee Bob Hampton said he believes this is a bid to insert religion into schools -- where he believes it does not belong.

"The spiritual side of the student and the spiritual side of an elected official belong in the home and the church," Hampton said in a phone interview. "Especially, public education is concerned with accountability and we don't need a personal agenda dealing with religion in the public education system."

Vegas is a pastor at and the founder of his own church, Sovereign Grace, which counts 130 to 140 members, Vegas said.

Trustee Ken Mettler said not only would he vote to approve such a measure, but he also proposed such an idea when he was a trustee at Rosedale Union School District. In the end, he said the motto was added to pre-existing collections of historical documents.

"I merely look at it very simply. It is the nation's motto. Why not?" Mettler said Sunday night. He said it is an important part of the nation's history and should be studied.

Mettler and Vegas said they hope this will not become an explosive issue that will soak up a lot of time and attention from school issues.

Vegas chastised the media in Bakersfield for paying more attention to these types of issues than the policy changes being made to improve student achievement.

"It's a sad fact that the media is only interested in covering 'In God We Trust,'" Vegas said.

When Vegas was asked how the children would feel who don't believe in God, he said, "They don't have to believe in God."

Members of the public also have divergent opinions.

"I don't think that by putting 'In God We Trust' will solve the problems we have," said Kelly Tomlinson, 49, a retired medical transcriptionist. "It's just basically words that mean nothing. I think they need to be putting their attention on reading, writing and arithmetic."

Others disagree.

"That whole idea of separation of church and state is a bogus issue," Bakersfield resident Rolly Rhodes said. He believes God has always been an integral part of the nation's fabric.

Others are taking their voice to the board.

"People close to Bush are moving to theocracy," and this is another example, said Jared Thomas, an organizer with the local chapter of The World Can't Wait - Drive Out the Bush Regime.

He said group members are observing what is happening nationally, and they're concerned about a small group of people who are closely allied with Bush who "are trying to recast the history of this country" to advance the president's agenda. He's concerned Vegas' proposal is an attempt to restrict students' critical thinking.

Thomas said at least a few members of the group will be at tonight's KHSD meeting.

Board members Bryan Batey and Joel Heinrichs could not be reached for comment.

How to go

n The board of trustees meets at 7 tonight at the KHSD Administrative and Support Services Office, 5801 Sundale Ave.

mtbr member
    I think it is kind of funny that "Sin City" wants "In God We Trust" posted in public places.
    There can't be good living where there is not good drinking. --Ben Franklin

banned
    I am sure that religion already has a prominent place in the school you teach at, NuBrain. Who else would buy into that nonsense?
    Attached Images Attached Images

the cool nerd
    Quote Originally Posted by huddled_mass
    I think it is kind of funny that "Sin City" wants "In God We Trust" posted in public places.
    read more than the title, and you'll see how funny your post is..
    "The search for a perfect pint should take lifetime." M.Jackson

Ride bikes, not goats. Just good advice

BANNED (from TOL)
    "I don't think that by putting 'In God We Trust' will solve the problems we have," said Kelly Tomlinson, 49, a retired medical transcriptionist. "It's just basically words that mean nothing. I think they need to be putting their attention on reading, writing and arithmetic."
    Nice. It obviously didn't mean nothing to the founding fathers of this country.
    [SIZE=7]-[/SIZE]
    speed shatters lives

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ditchdiver56

But times have changed, as well as American beliefs.

Maybe it should be "In Gods We Trust"?

Or else be specific and say which one of them. It's confusing.

BANNED (from TOL)
    Quote Originally Posted by BadHabit
    But times have changed, as well as American beliefs.

Maybe it should be "In Gods We Trust"?

Or else be specific and say which one of them. It's confusing.

Poll the American people, see what percentage believe in God, the God of the Holy Bible. I think it was done in 2002, and 77% view themselves as Christian.
    [SIZE=7]-[/SIZE]
    speed shatters lives

mtbr member

BANNED (from TOL)
    Quote Originally Posted by Drugs Before Baggies
    "Whatever it is, it's bringing people together in peace..."

And you think it's a bad thing?
    [SIZE=7]-[/SIZE]
    speed shatters lives

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Poll the American people, see what percentage believe in God, the God of the Holy Bible. I think it was done in 2002, and 77% view themselves as Christian.

Then to be fair and accurate, it should be "In Jehovah 77% of Us Believe" and then fill in the rest of the percentages for the other gods.

BANNED (from TOL)
    Then to be fair and accurate, it should be "In Jehovah 77% of Us Believe" and then fill in the rest of the percentages for the other gods.
    How very PC.
    [SIZE=7]-[/SIZE]
    speed shatters lives

mtbr member
    "Whatever it is, it's bringing people together in peace..."

And you think it's a bad thing?

The guilt technique doesn't work on me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    How very PC.

Not a big fan of fairness and accuracy, eh?

I don't see the problem here. Just be honest.

banned
    Simple minded people always seek escapist nonsense like this "apparition". Indoctrinating children with this cult belief system is tantamount to child abuse.

BANNED (from TOL)
    Not a big fan of fairness and accuracy, eh?

not a big fan of political correctness. If you want that, then we should print 14% of the bill in spanish, make it multi-colored (because not everyone likes the color green), and make it out of some other material so we don't offend the tree huggers. I mean jeez, "In God we trust" was put on there for a reason apparently.
    [SIZE=7]-[/SIZE]
    speed shatters lives

BANNED (from TOL)
    Quote Originally Posted by warfaminepestilenceplague
    Simple minded people always seek escapist nonsense like this "apparition". Indoctrinating children with this cult belief system is tantamount to child abuse.

So I take it you're an athiest. Congratulations.
    [SIZE=7]-[/SIZE]
    speed shatters lives

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I mean jeez, "In God we trust" was put on there for a reason apparently.

Like?

It's not true.

Is there some reason not to be open about the fact that not everyone here believes in Jehovah? What's the big deal? We all have to think alike? Is it more PC to think alike?

You went away.

Sorry, ditch-- In God WE Do Not Trust. In God YOU Trust.

Art is Resistance
    Mind telling me when that phrase first started showing up on our currency?

BANNED (from TOL)
    Like?

It's not true.

Is there some reason not to be open about the fact that not everyone here believes in Jehovah? What's the big deal? We all have to think alike? Is it more PC to think alike?

You went away.

Sorry, ditch-- In God WE Do Not Trust.
    You don't have to believe it or think it. But why have it removed?
    The country is overwhelmingly Christian, so the majority trusts in God.
    [SIZE=7]-[/SIZE]
    speed shatters lives

BANNED (from TOL)
    Quote Originally Posted by djcrb9
    Mind telling me when that phrase first started showing up on our currency?

Yeah that was my mistake, it didn't get approved until the 1950s i think, but was considered by the founding fathers, and again during the Civil War.
    [SIZE=7]-[/SIZE]
    speed shatters lives

BANNED (from TOL)
    In God [almost everyone else] Trusts.

Thats better.
    [SIZE=7]-[/SIZE]
    speed shatters lives

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You don't have to believe it or think it. But why have it removed?
    The country is overwhelmingly Christian, so the majority trusts in God.

Why have it added ? (the OP)

Since I don't believe it or think it, why would I want to read it anywhere? It's BS.

You saying I don't have the same rights as Christians? To put MY saying up?

BANNED (from TOL)
    Why have it added ? (the OP)

Since I don't believe it or think it, why would I want to read it anywhere? It's BS.

You saying I don't have the same rights as Christians? To put MY saying up?

OK, assuming there was a vote for it, 77% of Americans are Christians. That leaves 23% as non-Christians. Write your congressman/woman, maybe we should vote on this issue. After all, it is a democracy.
    [SIZE=7]-[/SIZE]
    speed shatters lives

Art is Resistance
    Yeah that was my mistake, it didn't get approved until the 1950s i think, but was considered by the founding fathers, and again during the Civil War.
    That's right, same with the Pledge of Allegiance.

Now what was happening in the 1950's that would inspire such change? Did it have anything to do with politicians overrun with fear and paranoia?

The devil is an angel too
    OK, assuming there was a vote for it, 77% of Americans are Christians. That leaves 23% as non-Christians. Write your congressman/woman, maybe we should vote on this issue. After all, it is a democracy.
    After reading Walt's latest religious thread, I'm not sure we should lump that 77% together.
    Art is the most intense mode of individualism that the world has known.

Oscar Wilde

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast