Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Sun Worshiper

Sniper attack...Is it vile, or a necessary form of warfare

Sniper attack...Is it vile, or a necessary form of warfare?

Gixen - eBay Sniper

If you think it's vile, hit the "Back" button immediately.

If your style for winning an Ebay item consists in last second bidding the maximum value you attribute to the item, don't let previous engagements, bike rides, other activities hamper your desire to win items, use a free service called Gixen. Once I become aware of an item I am interested in, I go to Gixen, enter the item number and my maximum value, and let it do it's thing while I do mine. Have been using the service for the last few months and it has worked flawlessly. It's allows you to do the sniping while you are working, riding, socializing, whatever. It bids with something like 6 seconds left, but is adjustable.

Is it a necessary form of Ebay warfare?

1. Your early bid is an important information for other bidders. This specially applies to rare items, value of which is directly determined by interest. Other bidders may realize true value of an item only after you submit your bid. By bidding early, you are helping them, and that's against your own interest.
    2. Bidders tend to be overly optimistic, and therefore enter value lower than what they are really ready to pay. Leave them time to bid again after being outbid, and you will end up paying more, or lose the item you are bidding on.
    3. Bidders get excited during auctions, and are often ready to bid way more than what is rational.
    4. Ever been victim of shill bidding? It's a fraudulent practice used by some sellers to inflate the price of an item by using another eBay ID to bid on their own item (and retracting bid if they go too far. Be especially careful if bidders' IDs are kept private). If you use sniping, fraudulent sellers have no time to conduct shill bidding.

velocipede technician
    Quote Originally Posted by oreophilus
    1. Your early bid is an important information for other bidders. This specially applies to rare items, value of which is directly determined by interest. Other bidders may realize true value of an item only after you submit your bid. By bidding early, you are helping them, and that's against your own interest.
    2. Bidders tend to be overly optimistic, and therefore enter value lower than what they are really ready to pay. Leave them time to bid again after being outbid, and you will end up paying more, or lose the item you are bidding on.
    3. Bidders get excited during auctions, and are often ready to bid way more than what is rational.
    4. Ever been victim of shill bidding? It's a fraudulent practice used by some sellers to inflate the price of an item by using another eBay ID to bid on their own item (and retracting bid if they go too far. Be especially careful if bidders' IDs are kept private). If you use sniping, fraudulent sellers have no time to conduct shill bidding.
    1. this is why in the collecting world, keeping your ebay handle private is a smart move
    2.except a certian swiss guy with deep pockets(im talking Jacques Cousteau deep)
    3. get 2 guys that want something bad enough and things can, will, and often do get way
    out of hand(you've seen some of my posts about ebay madness)
    4. pay attention long enough, get to know who's who, and shill bidding gets easy to spot
    looking for 20-21" P team

Crunchatize me Capn'
    Any decent shill bidder will enter bids before the auction is close to being over. They may even have friends "compete" against themselves to a set point in order to drive interest. Sniping only really helps morally legit sellers. I personally don't mind using snipers as this way you might have a better chance of getting awesome deal. On Ebay, any better chance is better than nothing I feel.

Who are the brain police?
    Very necessary. Now please step slightly to the left. That's right......
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

outdoor miner
    Sniper attack...Is it vile, or a necessary form of warfare?

If you think it's vile, hit the "Back" button immediately.

If your style for winning an Ebay item consists in last second bidding the maximum value you attribute to the item, don't let previous engagements, bike rides, other activities hamper your desire to win items, use a free service called Gixen. Once I become aware of an item I am interested in, I go to Gixen, enter the item number and my maximum value, and let it do it's thing while I do mine. Have been using the service for the last few months and it has worked flawlessly. It's allows you to do the sniping while you are working, riding, socializing, whatever. It bids with something like 6 seconds left, but is adjustable.

Is it a necessary form of Ebay warfare?

I just look at the item, decide what it is worth to me, bid and forget.

Sometimes I get pused up to $1 of that figure but still win.
    Big deal, it was worth it to me at the price.

Sometimes I get it for $1!

It is an action, it is the market in action.
    [SIZE=-1]Experience is like a comb that life gives you when you are bald[/SIZE]

Sun Worshiper
    Quote Originally Posted by leximog
    I just look at the item, decide what it is worth to me, bid and forget.

Sometimes I get pused up to $1 of that figure but still win.
    Big deal, it was worth it to me at the price.

Sometimes I get it for $1!

It is an action, it is the market in action.
    Get any deals out of

Gixen - eBay Sniper

I hear if you snipe there, they add another minute to the bidding.

outdoor miner
    Get any deals out of

http://www.trademe.co.nz/images/3/common/new_kevin.gif

I hear if you snipe there, they add another minute to the bidding.
    Yeah, that is the one.

Probably that explains my bid and run policy.

Not so much "deals", Kiwis are notorious for reusing everything.
    More a case of not having much in the way of shops nearby, and internet commerce is cr@pola here, so that is the default for anything more exotic than a bottle of milk.

I think something like 60% of NZ internet traffic goes through that site!

edit:

Of the stuff I have seen on there, you can get some pretty decent timber, either milled by farmers, or recycled from demolitions. Stuff like Kauri is impossbile to get now, as should be the case, but there is still a fair bit of recycled stuff around, at a much lower price than its true value. It won't last...
    Last edited by leximog; 10-28-2007 at 10:34 PM.

local trails rider
    Oh, I thought this was about the "Reach out and touch someone ... Once" thing.

Sun Worshiper
    BUMP (felling some trees)

banned
    I'm the same way, i make an assessment of what the item is worth to me and bid that amount. What's interesting is that Internet auctions sites are creating a artificial value for older items.

Hairy man
    Ebay sets the market value for used goods. If you want to get a deal, go elsewhere. For lower-end bike stuff, you can often find it new from one of the online retailers for cheaper than it auctions for used.
    We all get it in the end.

Sun Worshiper
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    Ebay sets the market value for used goods. If you want to get a deal, go elsewhere. For lower-end bike stuff, you can often find it new from one of the online retailers for cheaper than it auctions for used.
    You obviously don't know what you are talking about.

Try getting 2 new sets of XTR chainrings for $50 at an online retailler.

Or 5 new middle chainrings for $4.

If you look at retail chain auctions, it's market value, but if you look at all the auctions, you'll find bargains. People are offloading all kinds of stuff.

Hairy man
    You obviously don't know what you are talking about.

Try getting 2 new sets of XTR chainrings for $50 at an online retailler.

Or 5 new middle chainrings for $4.

If you look at retail chain auctions, it's market value, but if you look at all the auctions, you'll find bargains. People are offloading all kinds of stuff.
    You didn't read my post. XTR is not lower end. And that's a hell of a deal for complete sets of XTR rings. What kind of middle rings were they? I could use a 32 tooth four hole ring.
    We all get it in the end.

Sun Worshiper
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    You didn't read my post. XTR is not lower end. And that's a hell of a deal for complete sets of XTR rings. What kind of middle rings were they? I could use a 32 tooth four hole ring.
    The XTR was a "Buy it Now", and I didn't "Wait Till Later" on it.

The middle rings were 35 tooth 5 bolt aluminium. I use them on my winter bike. It's depressing when the shipping is costlier than the goods. Got all these XTR spiders that can fit 4 bolt standard (XTR), 4 bolt compact, 5 bolt standard (XTR) and 5 bolt compact, and Shimano road. I put on the rings that I've got.

velocipede technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Satan on a stick
    . What's interesting is that Internet auctions sites are creating a artificial value for older items.
    shoulda gone for twice that
    http://cgi.ebay.com/KLEIN-Adroit-MC-...QQcmdZViewItem

if you had a mardi gras frame and MC1 bar/stem what would you pay for that fork?

The devil is an angel too
    Quote Originally Posted by hollister

if you had mardi gras frame and MC1 bar/stem what would you pay for that fork?
    Ok, no offense hollister but that thing is fugly.
    Art is the most intense mode of individualism that the world has known.

Oscar Wilde

velocipede technician
    Quote Originally Posted by FrozenK
    Ok, no offense hollister but that thing is fugly.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Klein-At...QQcmdZViewItem

That's not fugly.

Oscar Wilde

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    All those old Kleins should be used for target practice. If you buy a .22 at the Walmart, it should come with an early 90's Klein or a splatter paint Cannondale. There ain't a one of them that is not so damn ugly it'd make a train take a dirt road. And if you bought one? Use your head for more than just a hat rack! In other words, the gates are down and the lights are flashing, but there ain't no train coming!
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

velocipede technician
    Quote Originally Posted by DWF
    All those old Kleins should be used for target practice. If you buy a .22 at the Walmart, it should come with an early 90's Klein or a splatter paint Cannondale. There ain't a one of them that is not so damn ugly it'd make a train take a dirt road. And if you bought one? Use your head for more than just a hat rack! In other words, the gates are down and the lights are flashing, but there ain't no train coming!

true.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1993-Klein-Attit...QQcmdZViewItem

the rain forrest paint job do look really cool to me though.

Dude, beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Oscar Wilde

outdoor miner
    They are road bikes?

At least I never saw one with mud on it.

velocipede technician
    Quote Originally Posted by FrozenK
    That's not fugly.
    look at the seat tube.

look at the seat tube.
    Oh snap! I must be ghey!

Oscar Wilde

mtbr member

if you had a mardi gras frame and MC1 bar/stem what would you pay for that fork?
    outta curiosity, how many hyper color shirts do you own?

edit:
    here we go...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast