mtbr member
    Jan 2004

No good She didn't get the 200 million, but

She didn't get the 200 million, but 5.5 million for not having the brains God gave a goose???? Guess we know the price of being born stupid!

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/law/10/05....ap/index.html

SHEPHERDSVILLE, Kentucky (AP) -- A jury awarded $5.5 million in damages Friday to a woman who said she was forced to strip in a McDonald's back office at the behest of a caller posing as a police officer.

Louise Ogborn, 21, sued the fast-food giant, accusing it of failing to warn her and other employees about the hoaxer, who had already struck other McDonald's stores and other fast-food restaurants across the country.

Jurors awarded $5 million in punitive damages to Ogborn, a former McDonald's employee. Jurors also awarded $1.1 million in compensatory damages, but reduced that amount by half, finding that she shared fault with McDonald's.

Ogborn has sought $200 million in compensatory and punitive damages. McDonald's argued that she was responsible for whatever damages she suffered for not realizing the incident was a hoax.

After a four-week trial, the jury started deliberations Thursday.

Ogborn was 18 and working at a McDonald's in April 2004 when she was forced to strip after a man called the store, claiming he was investigating a theft. At one point during the 3-hour search, the assistant manager's boyfriend was left to handle the phone call.

Donna Jean Summers, the assistant manager, was convicted of unlawful imprisonment. Her former fiancee, Walter Nix Jr., is serving a 5-year sentence for sexual abuse and other crimes.

Summers and Kim Dockery, who also was an assistant manager at the restaurant, are named as defendants in Ogborn'scivil suit. Summers also has sued McDonald's over the incident and is asking the jury to award her $50 million.

A Florida man, David Stewart, was acquitted last year on charges of impersonating an officer, soliciting sodomy and soliciting sexual abuse in the incident.

During the trial, jurors watched more than an hour of a security video of the hoax call. On the video, a nude Ogborn is shown performing sex acts on herself and Nix.

Ogborn's attorney, Ann Oldfather, asked Ogborn why she simply didn't leave the manager's office at some point during the assault, particularly when she was left alone.

"I was scared, and I was petrified," Ogborn said. "I didn't know what was going to happen. I didn't know if this was my last day on Earth."

During closing arguments on Wednesday, McDonald's attorney, W.R. "Pat" Patterson, said McDonald's is a good corporate citizen that cannot be held responsible for mistakes made by employees.

"McDonald's is not the evil empire they'll make it out to be," Patterson said. "It should not be punished by giving them millions of dollars."

Summers' attorney, Glenn Cohen, said McDonald's made multiple mistakes in not sufficiently warning managers and said the restaurant chain's claim that it couldn't tell all 800,000 employees about the hoax isn't believable.

"They get the word out when there is a McRib special," Cohen said. "They get the word out on how to detect a counterfeit bill. They certainly can get the word out on that."

e-misanthrope
    Looks like I've missed my calling and should become a writer for the AP - I've read the article twice, and I'm still not even sure what took place. To hear them tell it, it went down like this...

Cop caller: I'm investigating a theft, take your clothes off

Rich fry cook: Uh, okay

Assistant mgr: I've gotta go somewhere, my BF is gonna stand in for a bit - but he's not going to be present the whole time, at which point you'll be left alone and have ample opportunities to "escape" this office.

Rich fry cook, to self: I'm scared, I think I'll stay here for 3 hours

The End
    Don't waive your rights with your flags.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Since she's getting paid, does that mean she's a prostitute; a very high priced prostitue?
    Nothing but sincerity as far as the eye can see!

banned
    I've read a little about the story, a person claiming to be a police officer called the joint and convinced the asst. manager to bring the girl into the office and strip her down while he was on the phone. The asst. manager was a complete moron and the girl was young and scared. The process took place over several hours, it wasn't very quick. You would be surprised how dumb people are.

mtbr member
    I am confused, apparently, David Stewart made a hoax call, but the asst. mananger's BF, Walter Nix, committed the sexual abuse. From the information given, it does not appear that the two men had any sort of "business relationship." It sounds like there was this hoax call and the BF took advantage of the situation with the girl in the back room due to the hoax call.

How can McDonalds be responsible for the BF's actions? Walter Nix's actions could not be anticipated by mere hoax telephone calls. However, Walter Nix deserves not only jail time, but a civil suit for damages from the victim. McDonald's assertion that they were sued for their deep pockets is highly likely.

The girl is to be pitied. This incident will haunt her and have a lingering effect on her life for a long, long time.

Only Slightly Peeved
    Quote Originally Posted by mrs.blov
    The girl is to be pitied. This incident will haunt her and have a lingering effect on her life for a long, long time.
    She was hoping that the incident would have a lingering effect on her life alright -- she was hoping it would make her a multi-multimillionaire. Instead all she got was a measley $5 millon. Wonder how much of it the poor, poor pitiable girl will spend on therapy. Yeah, that's what I thought too.

I understand she's young, naive, impressionable and perhaps not-too-bright -- but suing the chain for the manager's and other's crimes? Gimme a break.

So since the chain is at fault for not warning her about a hoaxer --- then that implies that if this had been a real cop, that she'd still have had sex with the guy, and that would have been okay, and not the chain's fault?

Right. Got it.
    ...And the LORD opened the mouth of the ass[SIZE=1][SIZE=2]...[/SIZE](KJV Numbers 22:28)[/SIZE]

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mrs.blov
    I am confused, apparently, David Stewart made a hoax call, but the asst. mananger's BF, Walter Nix, committed the sexual abuse. From the information given, it does not appear that the two men had any sort of "business relationship." It sounds like there was this hoax call and the BF took advantage of the situation with the girl in the back room due to the hoax call.

How can McDonalds be responsible for the BF's actions? Walter Nix's actions could not be anticipated by mere hoax telephone calls. However, Walter Nix deserves not only jail time, but a civil suit for damages from the victim. McDonald's assertion that they were sued for their deep pockets is highly likely.

The Manager called her boyfriend to help her detain the employee, he was a willing sick participant. McDonald's is not responsible for the actions of the boyfriend but the actions of the mgr. who fell for the stupidity and was the first person to strip the girl of all her clothes and then called her boyfriend to help. She was a representative of the company, they are ultimately responsible for her actions.

Weiner Dog Connoiseur
    Quote Originally Posted by Satan on a stick
    The Manager called her boyfriend to help her detain the employee, he was a willing sick participant. McDonald's is not responsible for the actions of the boyfriend but the actions of the mgr. who fell for the stupidity and was the first person to strip the girl of all her clothes and then called her boyfriend to help. She was a representative of the company, they are ultimately responsible for her actions.
    I guess that's why the Manager was working at McDonald's and not at a Biomedical Laboratory. Geez!

Unfortunately, there were a whole rash of bomb threat hoaxes over the summer at supermarkets where customers were told to take all their clothes off, and a lot of them fell for it.