T 3
    X - Pensive Wino

Scientist proves Jesus walked on "water"

Science and Religion hand in hand at last....

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060405/...nce_jesus_dc_3

MIAMI (Reuters) - The New Testament says that Jesus walked on water, but a Florida university professor believes there could be a less miraculous explanation -- he walked on a floating piece of ice.

Professor Doron Nof also theorized in the early 1990s that Moses's parting of the Red Sea had solid science behind it.

Nof, a professor of oceanography at Florida State University, said on Tuesday that his study found an unusual combination of water and atmospheric conditions in what is now northern Israel could have led to ice formation on the Sea of Galilee.

Nof used records of the Mediterranean Sea's surface temperatures and statistical models to examine the dynamics of the Sea of Galilee, which Israelis know now as Lake Kinneret.

The study found that a period of cooler temperatures in the area between 1,500 and 2,600 years ago could have included the decades in which Jesus lived.

A drop in temperature below freezing could have caused ice thick enough to support a human to form on the surface of the freshwater lake near the western shore, Nof said. It might have been nearly impossible for distant observers to see a piece of floating ice surrounded by water.

Nof said he offered his study -- published in the April edition of the Journal of Paleolimnology -- as a "possible explanation" for Jesus' walk on water.

"If you ask me if I believe someone walked on water, no, I don't," Nof said. "Maybe somebody walked on the ice, I don't know. I believe that something natural was there that explains it."

"We leave to others the question of whether or not our research explains the biblical account."

When he offered his theory 14 years ago that wind and sea conditions could explain the parting of the Red Sea, Nof said he received some hate mail, even though he noted that the idea could support the biblical description of the event.

And as his theory of Jesus' walk on ice began to circulate, he had more hate mail in his e-mail inbox.

"They asked me if I'm going to try next to explain the resurrection," he said.
    "There's a fine line between clever and stupid."
    -David St. Hubbins, Spinal Tap

occasionally good
    What's the point of having faith if you try and explain everything away?

And why is it necessary for "scientists" to try and "prove" matters of faith?
    Don't ask me a question unless you really want to hear what I think.

mtbr member
    Two things:
    One, its just as likely that it was an intertidal flats area, viewed from a distance...
    Two, typically scientists, real scientists-pity that I even have to make that distinction, would not give a rats hind end over matters theological, since it has no bearing in real time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Why is the word "proves" in the title of this post? I didn't see in the article where anything was proved.

gentle like
    Sounds like more than a bit of a stretch to me.

I liked the older "scientific" explanations about the density of salt water being enough to support weight ... anyone else remember that one? He he.

Mtngirl knows best.

occasionally good
    Quote Originally Posted by kept man
    Mtngirl knows best.
    Why, Kept, you sound so surprised!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    One more "miracle" shot down by science.
    "What would happen to the Weather Channel's ratings if people werent scared anymore?"

gentle like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountaingirl1961
    Why, Kept, you sound so surprised!
    Oh hardly. Tired, and perhaps bored of your predictable wisdom, yes.

I mean, until the two recent banning disagreements, I was going to nominate you for interim Jesus (until the other one returns) ...

occasionally good

I mean, until the two recent banning disagreements, I was going to nominate you for interim Jesus (until the other one returns) ...
    As long as you don't force me to be the "virgin" Mary, kept...

gentle like
    As long as you don't force me to be the "virgin" Mary

I think that one's obvious:

o - r - e - o

The devil is an angel too
    I think that one's obvious:

o - r - e - o
    His name is Mary?

Did he have a little lamb?

Incidentally, SHAME ON YOU MG! your theology is weak, if you are the new Jesus you can't be the virgin Mary (not that Mary didn't get any after having JC)
    Art is the most intense mode of individualism that the world has known.

Oscar Wilde

banned

Be careful what you wish for,

"Second"ly.....I might just appear sooner than predicted.

gentle like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief
    "Second"ly.....I might just appear sooner than predicted.

But you've been predicted constantly since your 'departure' back to Heaven, and you never seem to make it back.

From NT times, to the first Millennium and the Crusades, to the year 2000 ... I'm not holding my breath.

Nominations for interim Jesus was my April Fool's joke my second year at seminary. It went over surprisingly well. I had posters, a polling station ...

occasionally good
    Quote Originally Posted by FrozenK
    His name is Mary?

Did he have a little lamb?

Incidentally, SHAME ON YOU MG! your theology is weak, if you are the new Jesus you can't be the virgin Mary (not that Mary didn't get any after having JC)
    I'm not sure Jesus got any ever, although Dan Brown seems to think so. Think I'll stick with Mary, since she was married to a carpenter. Hopefully he had some ideas on how to use the tools God gave him.

GOD
    I listen, sometimes
    I'm not sure Jesus got any ever, although Dan Brown seems to think so. Think I'll stick with Mary, since she was married to a carpenter. Hopefully he had some ideas on how to use the tools God gave him.
    Every man shall go forth with tools in hand and build a haus for his brethren.
    Every carpenter shall a roof place on his rod.
    Use these tools wisely and remember the riddle that Frodo asked or answered...

[SIZE=5]"Even four legs got some"[/SIZE]
    There is none like unto the God of Jeshurun, who rideth upon the heaven in thy help, and in his excellency on the sky. - Deut. 33

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by T 3
    Science and Religion hand in hand at last...
    Something I read of as a young man that interested me:

http://www.bibleorigins.net/MannaSinaiBodenheimer.html

a scientific explanantion of manna from heaven.

GOD
    I listen, sometimes
    Quote Originally Posted by BadHabit
    Something I read of as a young man that interested me:

http://www.bibleorigins.net/MannaSinaiBodenheimer.html

a scientific explanantion of manna from heaven.
    Next you'll try to explain the frogs....

Just remember:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    There is none like unto the God of Jeshurun, who rideth upon the heaven in thy help, and in his excellency on the sky. - Deut. 33

occasionally good
    Quote Originally Posted by GOD
    Every man shall go forth with tools in hand and build a haus for his brethren.
    Every carpenter shall a roof place on his rod.
    Use these tools wisely and remember the riddle that Frodo asked or answered...

[SIZE=5]"Even four legs got some"[/SIZE]

Ahhh, God, great to see ya back! This place is so much more fun with you around.

Hey, have you ventured over to the Judas thread? We could sure use some help over there.

GOD
    I listen, sometimes
    Ahhh, God, great to see ya back! This place is so much more fun with you around.

Hey, have you ventured over to the Judas thread? We could sure use some help over there.
    I WAS NEVER GONE, BUT I DID BLINK. I'LL BE HERE AND THERE.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Just remember:

Now, now, GOD. Just messin' with you. You know how I am.

ride your bike

Cool-blue Rhythm

I WAS NEVER GONE, BUT I DID BLINK. I'LL BE HERE AND THERE.
    Dear God,
    Please make our house sell soon. We need the cash so we can buy another one here. Please smote W Bush in the ass with a hot poker. Don't seal him up for good though, everyone must poop. Can you fix Frank Booth's brain too? The passing of time has rendered him functioning very nearly at the brain stem level. I'd also like Walt to get some poontang pie at least twice a week. And my buddy Gonz could use the stickiest of the icky. In closing, I'd like a Turner Highline with a DHX coil and Zoke 888 RC2X. Thanks God, big ups.
    Taking it easy for all you sinners.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    What is the point of trying to 'prove' that a story in the bible could have happened? Who cares, the scientist or the christians? Care to prove Jesus was the son of this particular god or that he rose from the dead? Might as well prove the Easter Bunny is real as well.

I have nothing against religion, seriously - it keeps the masses in check. If scientist want to prove something from the bible, how about they figure out how to make wine out of water? That I could use.

Before any christians get all angry and want to flame me, remember yours is only one of many religions - and each religious person thinks their version of god is the right one.