occasionally good

Ron Paul picks up the hooker vote

I just have to love these "only in Nevada" kinds of stories...

From the Reno Gazette Journal:

BROTHEL OWNER THROWS SUPPORT TO REPUBLICAN PAUL

Perhaps nothing better exemplifies the libertarian streak that runs through Nevada than the state's permissive policy on prostitution -- the ultimate expression of the live-and-let-live philosophy.

So, it should be no surprise that the presidential candidate with the purest libertarian bona fides picked up some X-rated support while campaigning in Reno last week.

To be more explicit, Nevada brothel owner Dennis Hof declared his support for Republican contender Ron Paul during Paul's campaign swing through the state.

The odd thing about it, however, is that it came about with the help of television news personality Tucker Carlson.

Carlson, who hosts the show "Tucker" on MSNBC, is traveling with Paul for a magazine article he is writing.

"Dennis Hof is a good friend of mine, so when we got to Nevada, I decided to call him up and see if he wanted to come check this guy out," Carlson said.

Paul spokesman Jeff Greenspan said Paul's campaign were surprised to see Carlson emerge from a limousine with Hof and two of his celebrity prostitutes to attend the morning's news conference at Lawlor Events Center.

Following the news conference, Hof said he was so impressed that he wanted to start raising money for Paul.

"I'll do it today," he said. "I'll get all the Bunnies together, and we can raise him some money. I'll put up a collection box outside the door. They can drop in $1 dollar, $5 dollar contributions."

Hof's prostitutes, Air Force Amy and Brooke Taylor, said they liked Paul's message, but wanted to learn more about the other candidates before making a decision.

Paul is an ardent libertarian who believes in returning the purview of the federal government back to what is articulated in the U.S. Constitution. He's a diehard supporter of states 'rights.

He's also a devout Christian, who opposes abortion.

"On a personal basis, he doesn't condone those things," Greenspan said about prostitution. "At the same time, from his campaign perspective, it's not the role of federal government and it's not in the constitution for federal government to regulate these things. The Nevada voters and Legislature have decided it is a legal activity in this state."

Prostitute for Paul
    Don't ask me a question unless you really want to hear what I think.

memorable member

mtbr member
    It's a Guilt by Association thing
    Nearly every MSM article makes it a point to mention generaly several times :
    "fringe , dark horse" "kook" " long-shot"
    or bring up a donor that falls under the "extreme views" (generaly MSM look for racists) to paint the canidate as "only for the wackos" (all the contenders have these types)

When can we have a honest debate on substance in the media?

The one thing we all have in common is the desire for Freedom, liberty and the pursuit of happiness providing it's not at the expense of others. Screw the party , vote your conscious and try to leave the future American's with the liberties our forbearers fought so hard to provide us with and unshackled from debt.

end rant, grr!
    We should have a strong president, strong enough to resist the temptation of taking power that a pres shouldnt have-Ron Paul

occasionally good
    Quote Originally Posted by Felpur
    It's a Guilt by Association thing
    Nearly every MSM article makes it a point to mention generaly several times :
    "fringe , dark horse" "kook" " long-shot"
    or bring up a donor that falls under the "extreme views" (generaly MSM look for racists) to paint the canidate as "only for the wackos" (all the contenders have these types)
    Guess I missed it - where did they write "fringe, dark horse, kook or long-shot" in that article?

And around here a brothel owner is a business owner like any other. I just thought you guys would get a kick out of it. I did.

Nevada used to be very much a "live and let live" state, at least until the Californicators moved it. We still hold on to legalized prostitution as a relic of the past, but it won't last long now that the goody-two-shoes do gooders are around. They'll doo doo all over the rest of us.

mtbr member
    If you noticed I said "Nearly"

This article IMO was printed soley for that fact that this donor is outside the generaly accepted main stream views. It's the same reason "we" justgot done reading about Mr Black's (kkk spokeperson) donation.

I understand your point of humor with this and I agree it is amusing.I can just picture all those bunnies passing the tip jar for canidate donations. It is fustrating when you look at the bigger picture of what gets reported and see article after article like this. I would just like to see the bar of journalism raised a little higher. It would be nice if an in depth approach to reporting was used a bit more often. That's all
    We should have a strong president, strong enough to resist the temptation of taking power that a pres shouldnt have-Ron Paul

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountaingirl1961
    He's a diehard supporter of states 'rights.
    He can choke and die then.

whoa!
    Mar 2007
    Late breaking NEWS, , , Ron Paul plans extensive campaign trip through Nevada. . .

C88
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Satan on a stick
    He can choke and die then.
    That's a normal reaction.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by C88
    That's a normal reaction.
    To my continued existence.

C88
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    To my continued existence.
    I think that's a little silly. To attribute State's Rights solely to segregation is picking the wrong fight.

I understand what "State's Rights" means in certain instances, but I don't think that means the concept of local Government control is a bad one. In fact, I feel completely the opposite.

For how would you feel about State's Rights if there were state laws opposing a new Federal Segregation law?

Zip
    Joe Dirt Status
    Hookers are people too. Rudy got the NASCAR vote which is pretty darn close to hookers. I wish I got paid having sex or driving a car really fast!
    "So long as I can have the sex, and the drugs...I don't really need the rock and roll" -Spinal Tap

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by C88
    I think that's a little silly. To attribute State's Rights solely to segregation is picking the wrong fight.

I understand what "State's Rights" means in certain instances, but I don't think that means the concept of local Government control is a bad one. In fact, I feel completely the opposite.

For how would you feel about State's Rights if there were state laws opposing a new Federal Segregation law?
    I know why the term was coined and by who, and it wasn't for a benevolent reason. Control at the state level will be more tyrannical then at the national level if history is any indication. The libertarians that I've spoken to, express the desire for more control at the county level with makes more sense then the state. In my opinion community level control is the ideal, as long as there is a national standard followed (ie. the Constitution) and basic human rights are observed.

occasionally good
    I know why the term was coined and by who, and it wasn't for a benevolent reason. Control at the state level will be more tyrannical then at the national level if history is any indication. The libertarians that I've spoken to, express the desire for more control at the county level with makes more sense then the state. In my opinion community level control is the ideal, as long as there is a national standard followed (ie. the Constitution) and basic human rights are observed.
    There are upsides and downsides to community control.

On the one hand, community control means that the people most affected by decision-making are the ones making the decisions. OTOH, it means a significantly larger influence by the folks who come with the cash.

We particularly see this in my neck of the woods when it comes to public lands issues. I think the feds are WAY screwed up on it, but I'm glad to have them there to provide some safeguards against extravagant environmental damage that could be done by extractive users.

banned
    Government at any level needs supervision and oversight. You can take policy making to the state level but it will be just as corrupt and probably more corrupt.

C88
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Government at any level needs supervision and oversight.
    it's a lot easier to do that locally. And I disagree that state government is more tyrannical—I think the government of the south was very much in tune with the political desires of it's populace (unfortunately).

Bear in mind that during the 19th century we were not far from our founding fathers who supported a weak Fed Government anyway. It seems to be common sense that the State gov would be more "authoritarian".