banned
    Nov 2007

OT: Electron filmed ???

can somebody explain or point to a link that actually explains what the wave like forms we see in the electron film are

and something about how you get waveforms that small to "see" the electron

The press is reporting it like shyte and I am dumb phucker.

It's probably the most important movie we'll ever watch, so I would kind of like to understand at least the basics.

banned
    Here's the abstract from the article in Physical Review Letters.

Coherent Electron Scattering Captured by an Attosecond Quantum Stroboscope

J. Mauritsson,1,2 P. Johnsson,1,3 E. Mansten,1 M. Swoboda,1 T. Ruchon,1 A. L'Huillier,1 and K. J. Schafer2
    1Department of Physics, Lund Institute of Technology, P. O. Box 118, SE-221 00 Lund, Sweden
    2Department of Physics and Astronomy, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, Louisiana 70803-4001, USA
    3FOM-Institute AMOLF, Kruislaan 407, 1098 SJ Amsterdam, The Netherlands

(Received 15 November 2007; published 21 February 2008)

We demonstrate a quantum stroboscope based on a sequence of identical attosecond pulses that are used to release electrons into a strong infrared (IR) laser field exactly once per laser cycle. The resulting electron momentum distributions are recorded as a function of time delay between the IR laser and the attosecond pulse train using a velocity map imaging spectrometer. Because our train of attosecond pulses creates a train of identical electron wave packets, a single ionization event can be studied stroboscopically. This technique has enabled us to image the coherent electron scattering that takes place when the IR field is sufficiently strong to reverse the initial direction of the electron motion causing it to rescatter from its parent ion.

2008 The American Physical Society

Going, Going, Gonzo
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystery Shopper
    can somebody explain or point to a link that actually explains what the wave like forms we see in the electron film are

It's probably the most important movie we'll ever watch, so I would kind of like to understand at least the basics.

http://www.spaceandmotion.com/scienc...e-diagrams.htm

Who are the brain police?
    I'll ask my dad, he's an electron microscopist. Only there's a good chance I won't understand the answer or be able to pass the answer on..
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

banned
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Locoman
    I'll ask my dad, he's an electron microscopist. Only there's a good chance I won't understand the answer or be able to pass the answer on..
    just basic stuff

I understand stroboscopes and wave theory. (I mean, in a dumb way.)

What does the color intensity mean?
    Why is the shape seen as waveforms.
    What is the actual physical thing that is being shown on the screen? Meaning, what is being captured.

Is the whole colored mass an electron?, or just a piece of one.

The electron is being influenced by being measured, how?

Is the electron emitting photons while we're viewing it? Is it gaining / giving energy in any way?

and what the hell is a quantum microscope?

Elitest thrill junkie

I can't explain it, but I know that in chemistry a few semesters ago we looked at some photos of atoms and you could "kind of" see the quantum electron orbits (not like a planet whizzing around a sun, but "shells" if you remember quantum theory).
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

banned
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    I can't explain it, but I know that in chemistry a few semesters ago we looked at some photos of atoms and you could "kind of" see the quantum electron orbits (not like a planet whizzing around a sun, but "shells" if you remember quantum theory).
    quantum corral (whatever that is)

iron on copper

here are stepped layers of copper atoms ... the little bumps are surface electrons ... how did the probe tip capture the electron position .. isn't it free to move away?

Elitest thrill junkie

iron on copper

here are stepped layers of copper atoms ... the little bumps are surface electrons ... how did the probe tip capture the electron position .. isn't it free to move away?
    Electrons that are in "orbits" around atoms do not "move" in the traditional sense, it's not a particle orbiting around a nucleus like planets/sun. What happens is that the eletron is "stretched" into a "shape" that occupies a certian region, mainly in the sense that it's "energy", not a definite particle. These are usually called "shells" and can sometimes hold multiple "electrons". It's a little difficult to explain (but supercomputers can prediction the position/shape of these shells), but the basic gist is that these "shells" are electrons that are "stretched" into a shape that occupies a certain region around the atom. A crappy analogy is that the electrons are ballons and in the middle of the balloon is the "nucleus". With these different shells and orbits you get different shapes of balloons, so they end up looking like balloon-animals in terms of how the electron is "stretched" into different shapes.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

banned
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Electrons that are in "orbits" around atoms do not "move" in the traditional sense, it's not a particle orbiting around a nucleus. What happens is that the eletron is "stretched" into a "shape" that occupies a certian region, mainly in the sense that it's "energy", not a definite particle. These are usually called "shells" and can sometimes hold multiple "electrons". It's a little difficult to explain (but supercomputers can prediction the position/shape of these shells), but the basic gist is that these "shells" are electrons that are "stretched" into a shape that occupies a certain region around the atom. A crappy analogy is that the electrons are ballons and in the middle of the balloon is the "nucleus". With these different shells and orbits you get different shapes of balloons, so they end up looking like balloon-animals in terms of how the electron is "stretched" into different shapes.
    I understand the concept of quantum, and even Feynman's simplest diagrams for electrodynamics, and Schrodinger's eq. of an electron smeared into a space and that an electron exists in a shell and never inbetween and Heisenberg's principle, and all that crap.

I am looking literally for a key to the graphics ... like little arrows and then keys and annotation, and a exact concept of scale here.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I understand the concept of quantum, and even Feynman's simplest diagrams for electrodynamics, and Schrodinger's eq. of an electron smeared into a space and that an electron exists in a shell and never inbetween and Heisenberg's principle, and all that crap.

I am looking literally for a key to the graphics ... like little arrows and then keys and annotation, and a exact concept of scale here.
    Cool, I didn't want to assume that you knew all that stuff.

mtbr member

iron on copper

the answer is right in front of you. that's chinese for "stupid american".

Going, Going, Gonzo

Your image is remarkably similar to the depictions of an electron as a standing wave shown here:

http://www.spaceandmotion.com/scienc...e-diagrams.htm

+ = =

Spherical Standing Wave (Three Dimensional / Spherical Effect)

banned
    Now that they've found Nuboy's brain, is it possible to operate?

banned
    Nov 2007
    bump

cause Andy is in the house

I just bought 3 more Feynman books .... one taken from thee of his lectures, one his original storybook, and then another storybook put together later ... then I am going to do his actual physics books.

I just like the way the guy thought.