fsp
    obey!
    Borat's genius.

C88
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fsp
    Borat's genius.
    Betcha wouldn't think so if you were from Khazakstan.

banned
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by C88
    http://www.stopborat.com/

Khazakstan has threatened to sue Cohen (Borat, Ali G) because of these shows...his comeback... "Khazakstan wants to sue this Jew"

No, they don't think that its funny...did you notice all of the ads they're currently running?

"Khazakstan, have you ever wandered?"
    Attached Images Attached Images

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JM01
    Borat does country!

"In my country there is problem

and that problem is they jew

they take everybody money

and they never give it back.

(chorus)
    Throw the Jew down the well

So my country can be free

You must grab him by his horns

Then we have a big party!!

If you see the jew coming

you must be careful of his teeth

you must grab him by his money

and I tell you what to do

(chorus)"

C88
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I may be setting myself up here, but you do realize that this is a "fake" site, right?

banned
    Mar 2005
    I may be setting myself up here, but you do realize that this is a "fake" site, right?
    Yes...but so is Borat

banned
    ok,

a long long time ago, far, far away

we had a Kazak on my dorm room floor

he had a big knife, to butcher sheep with, and he tried to use it on us; he kept his window wide open through the worst of winter, he fought regularly and said things like "I will drink your blood!"

no, Borat is very close to the truth

more proof?

Vinokourov - the doped to the gills expressionless Kazak biker "I will break you." with ceaseless attacks. Wins Paris-Roubaix and Tour of Spain.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    He doesn't make fun of Kazakhs, he makes fun of Americans who are too stupid to recognize the joke.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Reposado Man
    He doesn't make fun of Kazakhs, .
    ?

I disagree.

How do you explain the pictures of him screwing his "sister" and telling everyone she's a whore?

How do you explain the "fermented horse urine" drink that he says is traditional in his country?

Etc, etc...
    Last edited by imridingmybike; 10-11-2006 at 04:28 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    ...Because his "victims" believe he's for real. He plays off the ignorance/political correctness of his dupes.

If he only played the Borat character in a wholly fictional/sitcom vein, it wouldn't be nearly as funny.

C88
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Wasatch Walt
    ok,

a long long time ago, far, far away

we had a Kazak on my dorm room floor

he had a big knife, to butcher sheep with, and he tried to use it on us; he kept his window wide open through the worst of winter, he fought regularly and said things like "I will drink your blood!"

no, Borat is very close to the truth

more proof?

Vinokourov - the doped to the gills expressionless Kazak biker "I will break you." with ceaseless attacks. Wins Paris-Roubaix and Tour of Spain.
    Jeez, what generalizations...

C88
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    He doesn't make fun of Kazakhs, he makes fun of Americans who are too stupid to recognize the joke.
    What's so funny about that? It's funny to make fun of unsophisticated people? I'm sure if he was preying on inner city blacks you wouldn't find it so funny.

Don't get me wrong, Borat (and Bruno) are funny as hell, but I think I think Sacha Cohen has a lot of nerve picking on easy targets. Not too impressive... but it's typically ok to mock "rednecks" or some central asian (ie Afghani) "backwater".

banned
    Mar 2005
    What's so funny about that? It's funny to make fun of unsophisticated people? I'm sure if he was preying on inner city blacks you wouldn't find it so funny.

Don't get me wrong, Borat (and Bruno) are funny as hell, but I think I think Sacha Cohen has a lot of nerve picking on easy targets. Not too impressive... but it's typically ok to mock "rednecks" or some central asian (ie Afghani) "backwater".
    I think that it goes deeper than that...Americans have to be the most hospitable people that you can meet...they go out of their way to make visitors feel at home...Borat takes advantage of this to show how easy it is to to make them look like fools, but I'm sure he edits very carefully...sort of what Allan Funk did with Candid Camera

What worries me is what he brings to light, like that episode of "throwing the Jew down the well"...he had complete buy-in from the audience (except for one girl) and they sang along with relish

There were other examples where Bruno, Ali G, and Borat gave people the opportunity to speak their minds and it would have helped if they trusted him less and thought amore

Art is Resistance

Uh, he's making fun of inner city blacks. He's making fun of rednecks. He's making fun of overly PC WASPS. I think that's the point. If you're american and ignorant of other cultures, he's aking fun of you. I don't think his satire is pointed enough to just be making fun of rednecks.

C88
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by djcrb9
    Uh, he's making fun of inner city blacks. He's making fun of rednecks. He's making fun of overly PC WASPS. I think that's the point. If you're american and ignorant of other cultures, he's aking fun of you. I don't think his satire is pointed enough to just be making fun of rednecks.
    I've watched nearly every season and I've never seen him making fun of inner-city blacks. However, the funny thing is, why does it matter if you're American and ignorant of other cultures? Probably the majority of Americans are more concerned with paying bills and taking care of their families than devoting time to studying other cultures. What's wrong with that?

We can see how ignorant a lot of Europeans are about OUR culture. There are 300 million people here, more than the populations of the UK, Germany, France, and Italy combined, yet somehow it is very easy to generalize on typical American attitudes/behavior.

He may be funny, but I sure as hell don't have any respect for him. If a crack Khazak commando team assassinates him, I won't shed a tear...

mtbr member
    He may be funny, but I sure as hell don't have any respect for him. If a crack Khazak commando team assassinates him, I won't shed a tear...
    You're OK with a comedian being murdered because he's offensive to some people? I guess it would have been OK for a redneck to murder Richard Pryor in the 70s, since he was pretty hard on them?

fsp
    obey!
    You could be right, if we're going to suppose I were from Khazakstan, then we could also suppose I wouldn't have been born to two humorless parents, in which case I wouldn't neccesarily have had the motivation to develop a sense of humor on my own. Then no, I would probably see a comedy skit where someone gets to say absurd things definitely unfunny, and make a big stink about just how terrible it is about it in a forum in a mountain bike site online.

C88
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fsp
    You could be right, if we're going to suppose I were from Khazakstan, then we could also suppose I wouldn't have been born to two humorless parents, in which case I wouldn't neccesarily have had the motivation to develop a sense of humor on my own. Then no, I would probably see a comedy skit where someone gets to say absurd things definitely unfunny, and make a big stink about just how terrible it is about it in a forum in a mountain bike site online.
    Me, too!

C88
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dario
    You're OK with a comedian being murdered because he's offensive to some people? I guess it would have been OK for a redneck to murder Richard Pryor in the 70s, since he was pretty hard on them?
    I'm not ok with anything. You just reap what you sow... isn't that how it works?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Wrong.. Trailer for new movie shows him messing with some black guys, and I still intend to see it.

C88
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    ...I still intend to see it.
    As do I, looks funny as hell...

I think there is some footage of him in Roanoke, Va, some friends of mine from down there told me he was nearly run out of town with the way he was acting!

banned
    Mar 2005
    As do I, looks funny as hell...

I think there is some footage of him in Roanoke, Va, some friends of mine from down there told me he was nearly run out of town with the way he was acting!
    He premiered his film at the Toronto Film Festival last month and came to the theatre on a wagon pulled by 8 "strong" women...the horse was on the wagon with him

some didn't think that was funny...

then he went to Wahington when the Kazak President came to visit Bush...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...092900006.html

...He began by waving an actual four-page advertisement that the former Soviet republic placed in yesterday's New York Times touting its sophisticated culture, religious tolerance and gender equality.

"These are disgusting fabrications!" he said in a thick, ambiguously foreign accent. They're perpetrated by "evil nitwits" from neighboring Uzbekistan "who, as we all know, are a very nosy people with a bone in the middle of their brain."

He called out Kazakh Embassy spokesman Roman Vassilenko as "an Uzbek impostor" ("pliz do not listen to him") and threatened to attack Uzbekistan "with our catapults." Anyone, he added, "who claims we do not drink fermented horse's urine, do not have death penalty for baking bagels," is lying.

C88
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    He premiered his film at the Toronto Film Festival last month and came to the theatre on a wagon pulled by 8 "strong" women...the horse was on the wagon with him.
    "God... man... horse... dog... woman... rat..."

banned
    Mar 2005
    "God... man... horse... dog... woman... rat..."
    http://tiff.sympatico.msn.ca/Movies/...D-318FABFE42C9

http://www.videovat.com/videos/2998/...-festival.aspx
    Last edited by JM01; 10-12-2006 at 02:04 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast