banned

A little plate tech for my buddy Hollister

http://www.irongrip.com/products/default.asp

http://www.bigfitness.com/troybrand.html

Here's a couple places where you can get the "grip plates"

I've thrown in a pic of some bumperplates...they are very expensive, but if you do any Olympic style lifting, they are great...

IMHO..the fixed weight 5' barbell pictured in one of the best ways to increase your bench press. That bar weighs 170 lbs and can be loaded (with the configurations that I have) up to 360lbs by putting plates on the ends of the barbell. The reason I say this is because most 7' Olympic bars have a certain amount of movement called "whip" that aids you when lifting the bar. The 5' bar has no movement. I don't think there's any researched evidence, but many "old timers" feel this is true and from my personal experience I think it is too...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Nuboy; 11-09-2007 at 04:27 PM.

velocipede technician
    thanks Nu.

so should i stop when i get back to center, or continue the motion all the way to the other side?
    looking for 20-21" P team

orthonormal
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuboy
    http://www.irongrip.com/products/default.asp

http://www.bigfitness.com/troybrand.html

Here's a couple places where you can get the "grip plates"

I've thrown in a pic of some bumperplates...they are very expensive, but if you do any Olympic style lifting, they are great...

IMHO..the fixed weight 5' barbell pictured in one of the best ways to increase your bench press. That bar weighs 170 lbs and can be loaded (with the configurations that I have) up to 360lbs by putting plates on the ends of the barbell. The reason I say this is because most 7' Olympic bars have a certain amount of movement called "whip" that aids you when lifting the bar. The 5' bar has no movement. I don't think there's any researched evidence, but many "old timers" feel this is true and from my personal experience I think it is too...
    Most Olympic bars don't move a whole lot until there's 4 plates or more on each side. I've never been strong enough to move that kind of weight except in the deadlift. If you're lifting heavy enough to get a boost from bar whip, a half second pause at the bottom will get rid of it.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by andy f
    Most Olympic bars don't move a whole lot until there's 4 plates or more on each side. I've never been strong enough to move that kind of weight except in the deadlift. If you're lifting heavy enough to get a boost from bar whip, a half second pause at the bottom will get rid of it.
    Beg to differ, Andy....I've seen them whip with a lot less...

..but...I suppose it depends upon the bar, the strength of it, etc...

Still...like I said...just my opinion..

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hollister
    thanks Nu.

so should i stop when i get back to center, or continue the motion all the way to the other side?

On the Bulgarian Twist? Keep going on both sides..

Keep this in mind too...there are more weight programs out there than carter's got pills...

They're all good, if you do them...

mtbr member
    The bars at my gym bend with 2 45's on each side.

I hate declines.

orthonormal
    Beg to differ, Andy....I've seen them whip with a lot less...

..but...I suppose it depends upon the bar, the strength of it, etc...

Still...like I said...just my opinion..
    There's a wide range of prices. In any case, a pause at the bottom will negate any advantage.

banned
    There's a wide range of prices. In any case, a pause at the bottom will negate any advantage.
    Try benching with a 5' bar...it's actually kind of "fun"...if it can be called that.

orthonormal
    Try benching with a 5' bar...it's actually kind of "fun"...if it can be called that.
    I think it's fun. My gym doesn't have a bench with supports for a 5' bar and I use my squat rack for benching at home which is also too wide. Not to mention I only have a 7' bar.

I bought my equipment from my brother in law, who might be even bigger than you. He's 6'3" and was about 270 lbs. when he was bodybuilding (probably still is but he's fat now). Anyhow, it's an expensive bar and there's no visible whip with 275 lbs. on there.

banned
    I think it's fun. My gym doesn't have a bench with supports for a 5' bar and I use my squat rack for benching at home which is also too wide. Not to mention I only have a 7' bar.

I bought my equipment from my brother in law, who might be even bigger than you. He's 6'3" and was about 270 lbs. when he was bodybuilding (probably still is but he's fat now). Anyhow, it's an expensive bar and there's no visible whip with 275 lbs. on there.
    Bigger than me?? I'm a shell of my former self...I've dropped down to 215. A year ago, I broke my leg and ballooned up to 285 (that's not good). I've basically just been doing lots of push ups, tricep dips, etc. (and getting out to the hills on a consistent basis)

I've sold more equipment than I knew what to do with. I used to have a set of dumbells that went from 35's to 120 pounders in 5 lb increments..plus all the plates, bars, racks, etc...

Basically, now all I have is what I showed in that pic. Oh well..push ups never made anyone weak and they're fun to do with the kids in my strong body development class...
    I've got them fooled into thinking I'm a tough old man...