Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    banned

Dear Mr. Satan On -O- Stick?

you seemed exceptionally well versed, more so than all of us almost put together, on the basic history and tenets of cultures from around the world

How did your exceptional knowledge come to be?

It seems much wider than just a lot of reading, it looks highly studied.

Please, if you can, tell us how you've arrived at this state of knowledge?

It seems like you've specialized in knowing all the different routes various cultures have taken. How, and why, did you gain this information?

It seems, to me, professorial.

memorable member
    Could Satan really be Jarod Diamond? hmmmm. Does he have a New Guinean accent?

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mashochist
    Could Satan really be Jarod Diamond? hmmmm. Does he have a New Guinean accent?
    If we catch him eating people, it could be. Hopefully it wasn't Satan snacking on Michael Rockefeller back in 61.

memorable member
    Just read that one of Diamonds kids attends Duke U.

Scratch that theory.

banned

Nothing very interesting in the whole scheme of things

Quote Originally Posted by Wasatch Walt
    you seemed exceptionally well versed, more so than all of us almost put together, on the basic history and tenets of cultures from around the world

How did your exceptional knowledge come to be?

It seems much wider than just a lot of reading, it looks highly studied.

Please, if you can, tell us how you've arrived at this state of knowledge?

It seems like you've specialized in knowing all the different routes various cultures have taken. How, and why, did you gain this information?

It seems, to me, professorial.
    Me!

Hardly professorial, I could see myself standing in front of an erudite group of 18 year old young minds and having my English corrected every 5 minutes. My knowledge hardly comes close to the majority of f 88 regular posters which I consider a fantastic collection of educated view points.

My Resume

Started at Morehouse College with an interest in going to law school, Morehouse was far too conservative for me. They also needed to modernize their infrastructure and adapt to modern teaching methods. I felt the high school that I left was more progressive in terms of infrastructure. Left there and on advice of a former counselor went to University of California Santa Cruz, eventually graduating with a BA in Economics. Also had plenty of fun mountain biking, hanging with hippie chicks scuba diving and even took a surfing class . (phock off Nuboy)

After working a number of years for some financial companies I started Graduate School with the desire to get PhD degree in Jurisprudence and Social Policy at UC Berkeley and maybe a JD in law, since it would only require an additional year of study. But after talking to lawyers, I decided that there was no way that I would practice law and the title of JD would just be for vanity, therefore JD out. The interest of study that I was pursuing was the American law/penal/ economic systems and how they converge. My goal was to either become a Professor or work in some type of Public Policy Research institute. While all this was going on I got woman problems. She put pressure on me to give up the PhD thing and to settle for an (incidental) masters in Sociology (Social and Economic Structure). I now work for a non profit trying to steer kids away from criminal activities and towards (???) School(as though that is the end). In my spare time I do Public Policy research and writing, mainly in support of other researchers.

In the process of doing research on the American Criminal Justice System, I ran across figures on the rate of imprisonment of the Romany in Hungary and Romania. Why were they imprisoned at such a high rate and where did this societal prejudice and tendency towards crime come from? This led me to ask the question who are the Romany and where do they come from. Well from what I could tell they are people that we would call (group) East Indians that left the Hindu Kush around the time of Islamic conquest. (Kush I was told means to crush) Of course this has lead to the question who are the Hungarians, Romanians ...etc. Now I have this interest in human Diasporas, cultural exchanges, linguistics and colonization.

To add to this interest I have a cousin who is married to a Professor of Architecture, but his actual passion is in Anthropology and specifically the Untouchable (Dalit) class of Indian Society. They are folks that I greatly admire both intellectually and in their desire for social change. They spend a great deal of time in India and always wanted to introduce me to their friends who are politically active members of that class in India, they did. My theories of social stratification interested them a great deal. Their knowledge of history and sociology was of great interest, specifically their knowledge of caste systems, since they parallel certain aspects of American society. Upon meeting them, they started telling me stories of invasions that lead to the aboriginal people being pushed to lower social status within their own lands and thus I became involved in another cultural curiosity. This led to me studying people movement in the Steppes of Asia; Persian, German, Turkish and Slavic peoples pushing each other out or culturally overtaking their neighbors. This point of geography seems to be the cultural hub of modern man and society. Through friends of my cousins I started traveling a little to various countries and had a chance to meet with variety of cultural knowledgeable people most of whom had interest in sociology or history who were curious about me as an American and as a African American, this lead to cultural exchange and access to their knowledge base and you could say insider info.

So if I go back to try for that PhD then maybe it will be in Cultural Anthropology. However, the reality is that all these subjects are interwoven and cannot be separated very easily one path leads easily to another. Man the world is circular.

On a side note: Morehouse is an all male college across the street is the sister (all female) college Spellman. Spellman is the home of Michael Rockefeller's collection of tribal art prior to him providing ripe yet tart inspiration to said artist.

outdoor miner
    Quote Originally Posted by Satan on a stick
    Me!

Hardly professorial, I could see myself standing in front of an erudite group of 18 year old young minds and having my English corrected every 5 minutes. My knowledge hardly comes close to the majority of f 88 regular posters which I consider a fantastic collection of educated view points.

My Resume

Started at Morehouse College with an interest in going to law school, Morehouse was far too conservative for me. They also needed to modernize their infrastructure and adapt to modern teaching methods. I felt the high school that I left was more progressive in terms of infrastructure. Left there and on advice of a former counselor went to University of California Santa Cruz, eventually graduating with a BA in Economics. Also had plenty of fun mountain biking, hanging with hippie chicks scuba diving and even took a surfing class . (phock off Nuboy)

After working a number of years for some financial companies I started Graduate School with the desire to get PhD degree in Jurisprudence and Social Policy at UC Berkeley and maybe a JD in law, since it would only require an additional year of study. But after talking to lawyers, I decided that there was no way that I would practice law and the title of JD would just be for vanity, therefore JD out. The interest of study that I was pursuing was the American law/penal/ economic systems and how they converge. My goal was to either become a Professor or work in some type of Public Policy Research institute. While all this was going on I got woman problems. She put pressure on me to give up the PhD thing and to settle for an (incidental) masters in Sociology (Social and Economic Structure). I now work for a non profit trying to steer kids away from criminal activities and towards (???) School(as though that is the end). In my spare time I do Public Policy research and writing, mainly in support of other researchers.

In the process of doing research on the American Criminal Justice System, I ran across figures on the rate of imprisonment of the Romany in Hungary and Romania. Why were they imprisoned at such a high rate and where did this societal prejudice and tendency towards crime come from? This led me to ask the question who are the Romany and where do they come from. Well from what I could tell they are people that we would call (group) East Indians that left the Hindu Kush around the time of Islamic conquest. (Kush I was told means to crush) Of course this has lead to the question who are the Hungarians, Romanians ...etc. Now I have this interest in human Diasporas, cultural exchanges, linguistics and colonization.

To add to this interest I have a cousin who is married to a Professor of Architecture, but his actual passion is in Anthropology and specifically the Untouchable (Dalit) class of Indian Society. They are folks that I greatly admire both intellectually and in their desire for social change. They spend a great deal of time in India and always wanted to introduce me to their friends who are politically active members of that class in India, they did. My theories of social stratification interested them a great deal. Their knowledge of history and sociology was of great interest, specifically their knowledge of caste systems, since they parallel certain aspects of American society. Upon meeting them, they started telling me stories of invasions that lead to the aboriginal people being pushed to lower social status within their own lands and thus I became involved in another cultural curiosity. This led to me studying people movement in the Steppes of Asia; Persian, German, Turkish and Slavic peoples pushing each other out or culturally overtaking their neighbors. This point of geography seems to be the cultural hub of modern man and society. Through friends of my cousins I started traveling a little to various countries and had a chance to meet with variety of cultural knowledgeable people most of whom had interest in sociology or history who were curious about me as an American and as a African American, this lead to cultural exchange and access to their knowledge base and you could say insider info.

So if I go back to try for that PhD then maybe it will be in Cultural Anthropology. However, the reality is that all these subjects are interwoven and cannot be separated very easily one path leads easily to another. Man the world is circular.

On a side note: Morehouse is an all male college across the street is the sister (all female) college Spellman. Spellman is the home of Michael Rockefeller's collection of tribal art prior to him providing ripe yet tart inspiration to said artist.
    Interesting to read about your uninteresting self, battle on with the studies, gambatte as the Japanese say.
    [SIZE=-1]Experience is like a comb that life gives you when you are bald[/SIZE]

banned
    Left there and on advice of a former counselor went to University of California Santa Cruz, eventually graduating with a BA in Economics. Also had plenty of fun mountain biking, hanging with hippie chicks scuba diving and even took a surfing class . (phock off Nuboy)
    t.
    Yeah..right, UC Santa Cruz???!!! Tell 'em the truth, Satansicle, the mascot is a Seaslug, clothing is optional and the number one pastime is eating mushrooms off the forest floor!!

Hell...a diploma from the Preston School of Industry carries more weight than that!

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuboy
    Yeah..right, UC Santa Cruz???!!! Tell 'em the truth, Satansicle, the mascot is a Seaslug, clothing is optional and the number one pastime is eating mushrooms off the forest floor!!

Hell...a diploma from the Preston School of Industry carries more weight than that!
    you're just jealous you didn't engage in all the sexual exploits SOS did at SC

you're such a hypocreep

hating those hippie chicks while salivating on them

banned
    Me!

My Resume

I can't imagine you NOT getting a Ph. D. .... ????

You're a born writer.

Why don't you get a history Ph.D?
    It seems to me that is the type of Ph.D that allows one to, with much greater societal authority, write the kind of things that you love to write.

Combining Diamond-like anthropology with history is your natural process, one can just tell by the very high level of ideation that pops out when you write on this stuff.

Dude, you've got to find a way to participate in a Ph.D. ... you need to find a professor who is just as intrigued by the civilization stuff you are. Then you have a colleague, which is what you need, not a boss.

banned
    you\'re just jealous you didn\'t engage in all the sexual exploits SOS did at SC

you\'re such a hypocreep

hating those hippie chicks while salivating on them

Fuck you, Waldo...do you think I was never at Bonny Doone Beach in Santa Cruz back in the old days?? Those daze in the Santa Cruz Mountains grooving to Hot Tuna at Mountain Charlies...

Quit trying to give Satansicle a blowjob and grow up...Have a sense of humor..I know a degree from UCSC is a bit more than a diploma from Preston...It\'s at least on par with with a certificate of completion from the LA Trade Tech Institute...

Sun Worshiper
    Fuck you, Waldo...do you think I was never at Bonny Doone Beach in Santa Cruz back in the old days?? Those daze in the Santa Cruz Mountains grooving to Hot Tuna at Mountain Charlies...

Quit trying to give Satansicle a blowjob and grow up...Have a sense of humor..I know a degree from UCSC is a bit more than a diploma from Preston...It\'s at least on par with with a certificate of completion from the LA Trade Tech Institute...
    Nuboy is the complete antithesis of Satan on a stick.

Nuboy is the ugly American, Satan on a stick the Humanist.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by oreophilus
    Nuboy is the complete antithesis of Satan on a stick.

Nuboy is the ugly American, Satan on a stick the Humanist.
    GloryHole,

you miserable POS

Satan and Nu have genuine respect and admiration for each other.

They've both chosen to live a life.

Meanwhile, back at the kitten killing atrocious dovetail farm, you're just a barnacle filter feeding through the gloryhole. You pathetic suck.

banned

You're SO competitive about chicks. Such a TOTAL hound dog. Just the fact that Satan was getting more grapes than you, sends you into a complete berserker tizzy.

Sun Worshiper
    GloryHole,

you miserable POS

They've both chosen to live a life.

Meanwhile, back at the kitten killing atrocious dovetail farm, you're just a barnacle filter feeding through the gloryhole. You pathetic suck.
    Nazi.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by oreophilus
    Ameri-Nazi.
    Ahhh, that's better!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have this interest in human Diasporas, cultural exchanges, linguistics and colonization.

I can understand someone's curiousity about this. "Jared Diamond," indeed. Seems we are on the verge of learning a lot about it using mitochondrial DNA.

I am waiting for scholarly acknowledgement of the great Chinese voyages of global exploration and cultural exchange in the 15th century. They dwarf the well-known European efforts that followed.

Thank you for sharing your insights here.

banned
    You\\\'re SO competitive about chicks. Such a TOTAL hound dog. Just the fact that Satan was getting more grapes than you, sends you into a complete berserker tizzy.

Hey..at least I can geta date for free...unlike you who has to pay for your dates....

banned
    GloryHole,

you miserable POS

They\\\'ve both chosen to live a life.

Meanwhile, back at the kitten killing atrocious dovetail farm, you\\\'re just a barnacle filter feeding through the gloryhole. You pathetic suck.
    Yes.. that\\\'s true. I not only respect Satansicle...I think he\\\'s a good guy too..

Hell, Waldo..you are too.

cookied!ck\\\'s a fucking nerd...he deserves to be socked right in the throat (watch him cry \\\"threat\\\") but fuck that asshole anyway...I won\\\'t be inviting him to a BBQ anytime soon..

Sun Worshiper
    Yes.. that\\\'s true. I not only respect Satansicle...I think he\\\'s a good guy too..

cookied!ck\\\'s a fucking nerd...he deserves to be socked right in the throat (watch him cry \\\"threat\\\") but fuck that asshole anyway...I won\\\'t be inviting him to a BBQ anytime soon..
    ugly

banned

Banana slug is the mascot.

Satan, you definetely need to continue on with your studies. Cul An is a facinating field. I am, unfortunately out of date on so much of it.

BTW do they give out grades at UC Santa Cruz? I know they didn't use to, al ways made me jealous.

I was in Scotts Valley, Bethany back in the 80's.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Now I have this interest in human Diasporas, cultural exchanges, linguistics and colonization.
    Cool write up.

I was watching a show on PBS last night about this anthropolgist who was studying the myth of the Amazon women warriors Greek legends referred to. It was very interesting. Long story short, she took the legends that suggested they moved to southern Russia, found some gravesites with female warriors who died 500 BC. They were wearing clothes similar to clothes the Amazons wore on Greek vases. She then took the DNA from the bones from one of the graves. Then traveled to Kazachstan (sp?), found a remote Mongolian tribe. Found a blond haired Mongolian girl (the Amazons were supposed to be taller than normal and blond) took hers and her mother's DNA and compared it to the DNA from the female warriors grave. Exact match.

Fascinating stuff.
    Nothing but sincerity as far as the eye can see!

here today
    Yes, excellent. Thanks for sharing SOS.

May I suggest a reading list:
    http://www.personal.psu.edu/special/C18/sr/sr90.htm

You'll find some interesting stuff from the 18th Century Lit group reading list - Cultural Anthro / Lit History / Cultural Hist - but I don't know what will be in English. I do suggest Darnton as a fantastic read.

PS. My wife's work is also referenced there....

PPS. Duke had a good Anthro Cult program, not too staid. Don't know what it is worth today.

velocipede technician

wtf?

the \\\\'s are back
    looking for 20-21" P team

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hollister
    the \\\\\\\\\'s are back

I know why...but I ain\'t gonna tell ya...

\"\"\"\"\"\"\"\"\"\"\"\"\"\"\"\"\"\"\"\"\"\"

velocipede technician
    I know why...but I ain\'t gonna tell ya...

\"\"\"\"\"\"\"\"\"\"\"\"\"\"\"\"\"\"\"\"\"\"
    whatever.
    looking for 20-21" P team

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast