Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    rubber side down

Da Vinci Code-the movie

So, who's gonna go see it, and who isn't? If you're not going to see it, why?

I read the book. Thought it was an awesome read. I'll definately see the movie...maybe not in the theater, but I'll rent the DVD. Ever since my wife and I had kids, I haven't even seen the inside of a movie theater...

I'm really sick and tired of the effort of the Catholic Church to "boycott" the movie. Seems they don't understand the concept of "fiction".

R

banned
    Apr 2006
    I can't believe that they called for people to "press charges"....

Losers.

gentle like
    I'll probably wait 'till video ... haven't read the book yet. Sounds kinda trashy, but good.

Audrey Tautou is always worth watching, I think.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by russman
    ...the Catholic Church...they don't understand the concept of "fiction".
    Catholics wrote the book on fiction!

The Da Vinci Code is a real threat--it's as believeable as the Church's version.

The book exposes the human choice, the frailty, of dogma.

Exposes those nasty Opus Deis.

Da Vinci Code is the biggest hit on Rome in centuries.

mtbr member
    The book was awesome I loved it! Anything that ruffles feathers Iím there.
    Like King Arthur, which pissed, the fundies off so will this. The Catholic Church
    Is going too much trouble to get their side of the story out before the movie hits
    When anyone goes though that kind of trouble something wrong & they are hiding something. Iím hoping to hit a protest line when the movie is playing here.

The devil is an angel too
    Quote Originally Posted by BadHabit
    Catholics wrote the book on fiction!

The Da Vinci Code is a real threat--it's as believeable as the Church's version.

The book exposes the human choice, the frailty, of dogma.

Exposes those nasty Opus Deis.

Da Vinci Code is the biggest hit on Rome in centuries.
    From what I've heard -haven't read the book- it doesn't "expose" the Opus Dei at all. It portrays them as an evil cartoon of what they are. If you think that the Opus Dei are a bunch of masochistic freaks running around to protect dogma... well, you have a lot to learn my friend.

Opus Dei is big. And powerful. It is so funny how they fly under the radar in the US.
    Art is the most intense mode of individualism that the world has known.

Oscar Wilde

banned
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SS-Rider
    The book was awesome I loved it! Anything that ruffles feathers Iím there.
    Like King Arthur, which pissed, the fundies off so will this. The Catholic Church
    Is going too much trouble to get their side of the story out before the movie hits
    When anyone goes though that kind of trouble something wrong & they are hiding something. Iím hoping to hit a protest line when the movie is playing here.
    Did you hear that Nicole still loves Tom? Holy moly. Now that was a shocker.

Quote Originally Posted by asshat
    Did you hear that Nicole still loves Tom? Holy moly. Now that was a shocker.
    What about poor Kate? She just had a baby! why would Nicole let that out just now! she is evil!

Oscar Wilde

banned
    So, who's gonna go see it, and who isn't? If you're not going to see it, why?

I read the book. Thought it was an awesome read. I'll definately see the movie...maybe not in the theater, but I'll rent the DVD. Ever since my wife and I had kids, I haven't even seen the inside of a movie theater...

I'm really sick and tired of the effort of the Catholic Church to "boycott" the movie. Seems they don't understand the concept of "fiction".

R
    I'm sure I'll end up seeing it when the GF drags me there - she's in love with that damn book.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by FrozenK
    From what I've heard -haven't read the book- it doesn't "expose" the Opus Dei at all. It portrays them as an evil cartoon of what they are. If you think that the Opus Dei are a bunch of masochistic freaks running around to protect dogma... well, you have a lot to learn my friend.

Opus Dei is big. And powerful. It is so funny how they fly under the radar in the US.
    Where is that wrong? Not under my radar for a long time; for 15 years I lived next-door to a giant old neighborhood church now run by Opus Dei.

Masochistic freaks--yah; that cicatrice/ mortification thing--does it for me.

Of course the book exaggerates for literary effect.

You ought to read it as an example of a superbly conceived literary effort. Too much novel in it for my tastes ("he noticed her long brown hair held by a polka-dot bow"-kind of stuff). But anyone could have written it based on the concept, and sold millions. Ah well.

Where is that wrong? Not under my radar for a long time; for 15 years I lived next-door to a giant old neighborhood church now run by Opus Dei.

Masochistic freaks--yah; that cicatrice/ mortification thing--does it for me.

Of course the book exaggerates for literary effect.

You ought to read it as an example of a superbly conceived literary effort. Too much novel in it for my tastes ("he noticed her long brown hair held by a polka-dot bow"-kind of stuff). But anyone could have written it based on the concept, and sold millions. Ah well.
    BH, you are by no means the average American. Take that as a compliment.

The cilice thing, really, it is not what Opus Dei is about, neither what makes them strong. Most Opus Dei people you won't be able to tell -the Super Numeraries, yes, they are over the top conservative. You see a girl wearing a long skirt near the OD church, they are SNs- the Numeraries? you won't know, they won't disclose it either. But they are good at proselitizing. And they run several Universities... and I know the son of a LatinAmerican president is a SuperNumerary... really, they are not a bunch of masochistic, freaks running around murdering people to protect dogma. They are far more subtle.

I'm not too much into books that do religious bashing for the heck of it, really. Gimme Eco, that at least does it with impressive historical background and for a reason.

Besides, everybody knows that the Jesuits are the bad ones... Opus Dei was created only to fight the masons... everybody knows that!

Oscar Wilde

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The cilice thing, really, it is not what Opus Dei is about, neither what makes them strong. Most Opus Dei people you won't be able to tell -the Super Numeraries, yes, they are over the top conservative. You see a girl wearing a long skirt near the OD church, they are SNs- the Numeraries? you won't know, they won't disclose it either. But they are good at proselitizing. And they run several Universities... and I know the son of a LatinAmerican president is a SuperNumerary... really, they are not a bunch of masochistic, freaks running around murdering people to protect dogma. They are far more subtle.

I'm not too much into books that do religious bashing for the heck of it, really. Gimme Eco, that at least does it with impressive historical background and for a reason.

Besides, everybody knows that the Jesuits are the bad ones... Opus Dei was created only to fight the masons... everybody knows that!
    I have read that Scalia is a numerary; possibly another SC justice whom I don't recall.

The murdering in DC is over the top; I doubt anyone will believe in it as anything real.

The nondisclosure/ secrecy stipulation is reminding me today of Skull & Bones.

The Society of Jesus! Jesus!

I'd be confident that the Code author really cared little about church bashing--he just built such controversy into the story to induce sales. Succeeded!

Thanks for the compliment!

mtbr member
    Theres something wrong when a reglious group tends to shy away from the rest of the sect.Even some Catholic's have a problem with them.They seem to have a problem with some of the doctrine that the Opus Dei's talk about. Funny you would think that they would get thire sh!t toghether.

I have read that Scalia is a numerary; possibly another SC justice whom I don't recall.

The murdering in DC is over the top; I doubt anyone will believe in it as anything real.

The nondisclosure/ secrecy stipulation is reminding me today of Skull & Bones.

The Society of Jesus! Jesus!

I'd be confident that the Code author really cared little about church bashing--he just built such controversy into the story to induce sales. Succeeded!

Thanks for the compliment!
    Well, what I've heard is that his controversy is far from historically accurate -oh, yes, history is written by Church, blah, blah, blah- and that his portrayal of the Opus Dei is a cartoon. That's what bugs me, nevermind that his controversy affects the Christian church as a whole, since it questions the divinity of J.C. himself. But hey, it's the Catholics that he bashes...

Scalia, I think I've heard that one before. Wouldn't surprise me at all. Like I said: they fly under the radar. Skulls and bones are little league compared to OD or the Masons. As far as I know, OD does not require, although it encourages to a degree, the secrecy. What they do require is that you proselitize. If you can reach into influential people, then by GOD! bring them to the Opus, doesn't matter if you don't like them, fake it, but befriend them. (as told to me by a guy who had left the Opus for said reason after becoming a SN)

Dude, it is the Jesuits I tell you. The Jesuits! doesn't it seem suspicious that the most militant Christian order was created by a Spaniard and then, the Opus Dei is created where? In Spain! Where is the Opus university in Spain? In Navarra. Where was Ignacio de Loyola from?

Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam

Oscar Wilde

Theres something wrong when a reglious group tends to shy away from the rest of the sect.Even some Catholic's have a problem with them.They seem to have a problem with some of the doctrine that the Opus Dei's talk about. Funny you would think that they would get thire sh!t toghether.
    Lets make a movie where we portray the Wiccans as witches that do human sacrifices like the Celtic Druids and see how you like it. I mean, you guys are basically following the Celtic traditions, and the Druids did human sacrifices, so it is only fair to say that Wiccans are witch people that do human sacrifices, right?

Oscar Wilde

gentle like
    blah, blah, blah
    ... I said, Audrey Tautou!

She's cute as a button, damn it!

And she's French, so you can say it "buttonne."
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yeah BABY!

Quote Originally Posted by kept man
    ... I said, Audrey Tautou!

She's cute as a button, damn it!

And she's French, so you can say it "buttonne."
    I have only one thing to say, kept...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Oscar Wilde

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Well, what I've heard is that his controversy is far from historically accurate -oh, yes, history is written by Church, blah, blah, blah- and that his portrayal of the Opus Dei is a cartoon. That's what bugs me, nevermind that his controversy affects the Christian church as a whole, since it questions the divinity of J.C. himself. But hey, it's the Catholics that he bashes...

Scalia, I think I've heard that one before. Wouldn't surprise me at all. Like I said: they fly under the radar. Skulls and bones are little league compared to OD or the Masons. As far as I know, OD does not require, although it encourages to a degree, the secrecy. What they do require is that you proselitize. If you can reach into influential people, then by GOD! bring them to the Opus, doesn't matter if you don't like them, fake it, but befriend them. (as told to me by a guy who had left the Opus for said reason after becoming a SN)

Dude, it is the Jesuits I tell you. The Jesuits! doesn't it seem suspicious that the most militant Christian order was created by a Spaniard and then, the Opus Dei is created where? In Spain! Where is the Opus university in Spain? In Navarra. Where was Ignacio de Loyola from?

Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam
    Somehow I never previously noted or did not retain knowledge of your manifest religious exposures; sorry!

Many miss that the author specifically says he had little interest in authenticity/ accuracy. I guess what is revealing is that despite that, the Church is compelled to refute the book. This tells me that the intellectual underpinnings of Catholicism are fragile indeed--not that they haven't stood for centuries, but in this instance they are challenged by a version that is appealingly intricate and arcane, as is the sanctified version. People eat that up.

I have been reading over months of the Jesuit machinations in early Canada (Francis Parkman). Very impressive. Extremely interesting. I believe you when you say Jesuits.

gentle like
    I have only one thing to say, kept...
    Well, the purple horny thing makes me giggle and scares me a little, but that's a lot better than arguing about the fact that the Roman Catholic Church apparently feels it has nothing better to worry about.

I'll say a bunch of Hail Marys to make up for this, but what a bunch of tools.

Ratzinger. Guh.

mtbr member
    There are bad apples in every belief but as far as wiccans killing anyone not that I've ever heard of. IF a witch ever killed anyone these days you would of heard about it already.
    Trust me the Christians would be having a field day with it. We donít believe everything the Celtics did but close. Druids carried out sacrifices of crops, animals, and during specific festivals, humans. In a Celtic society, people were not executed for crimes, except during these festivals. Such executions varied, depending on what god the execution was dedicated to. worship also intoned a sense of merciless behavior toward repeated criminals, rapists, traitors, and other societal dregs. The offender, if found guilty, would be taken to the temple of Essus, where an oak would be growing through an opening in the temple roof. His stomach would be cut open, and he would be hung from an oak branch.Sounds more like justice to me, by the way you might want to read up on your celtic history before you make a fool of yourself anymore.

Rat Fink
    Probably has something to do with the first page of the book where the author proclaims "true facts" that aren't and then him going around the talk shows quite clearly stating everything about the Da Vinci code is fact when it wasn't. He clearly promoted it that way and now all his fans are whining when he got called on it.

But if you're not Catholic, and you're going to the movie anyway, WTF do care if they boycott it?
    Raspberries, nature's poison ivy bait. (Formerly, 'Stops to eat the raspberries.')

Somehow I never previously noted or did not retain knowledge of your religious exposures.

Many miss that the author specifically says he had little interest in authenticity/ accuracy. I guess what is revealing is that despite that, the Church is compelled to refute the book. This tells me that the intellectual underpinnings of Catholicism are fragile indeed--not that they haven't stood for centuries, but in his instance they are challenged by a version that is as appealingly intricate and arcane as themselves. People eat that up.

I have been reading over months of the Jesuit machinations in early Canada (Francis Parkman). Very impressive. Extremely interesting. I believe you when you say Jesuits.
    That's my problem with the book, it navigates between being over-the-top fiction and thought-provoking-not-so-fiction. I read somewhere that the book starts with the word "fact", and everything I've seen is that it has been sold as a book that challenges religion, blah, blah, blah... sold as fact based, not pure fiction. Which is why it bothers me that the guy wouldn't even try to be historically accurate. I mean, he has some pretty bad ones, like the thing about Jesus divinity... when all the gospels talk about Jesuse's divinity... that's a bad one.

BUT, you are right, the reaction of the Church tells you a lot, doesn't it. I also believe that the underpinnings of Christianity -which are the same as those of Catholicism- are weak, protected by the aura of misticism and lack of questioning. All churches should feel the same threat as Catholics -as the book attacks the basis of Christianity, pre-schism- but some don't. I guess what that tells you is that some churches are pretty confident that their followers will not question their faith...

The Jesuits, I mostly joke about them, but they have been a very powerful influence on the world. They run enough education centers to be able to shapea signifficant fraction of people's minds. Their most interesting characteristic is that they are not main-stream Catholics, they've gone against the current enough to prove that. I think they are the only order to be suppresed since the Templars. And they are very influential in the Liberation Theology in LatinAmerica -hell, they educated freaking Castro AND Subcom. Marcos!. Even if you ignore all the conspiracy stuff, they are still an animal worth looking at.

And everybody knows that the so-called "Protocols of the Elders of Zion" is but the Jesuit attempt to cover up the discovery of their own world domination plans (an earlier version of that book with "jesuits" instead of "jews" exists)

Oscar Wilde

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmojo
    Probably has something to do with the first page of the book where the author proclaims "true facts" that aren't and then him going around the talk shows quite clearly stating everything about the Da Vinci code is fact when it wasn't. He clearly promoted it that way and now all his fans are whining when he got called on it.
    Wait just a minute--you mean the bible is true fact? Going to call you on that...

Samsonite Tester
    Lets make a movie where we portray the Wiccans as witches that do human sacrifices like the Celtic Druids and see how you like it. I mean, you guys are basically following the Celtic traditions, and the Druids did human sacrifices, so it is only fair to say that Wiccans are witch people that do human sacrifices, right?
    You are right , lets just say the Catholic Church is responsible for several Crusades , killing millions of Paegans , then supported the Nazi's in killing several million Jews . More recently they hid and protected homosexual priests guilty of raping chior boys . How many dead Africans would you blame on the Catholics for villifiing condoms ?
    Lets make a movie where we portray the Catholics as the tool of the devil that they are .
    Yeah I gotta question. You got any excuses tonight Roy ? -Antonio Tarver

There is room for it all, just ride what you like to on what you like to...that's freeriding. -rbn14

[SIZE="1"]There are bad apples in every belief but as far as wiccans killing anyone not that I've ever heard of. IF a witch ever killed anyone these days you would of heard about it already.
    Trust me the Christians would be having a field day with it. [/SIZE]We donít believe everything the Celtics did but close. Druids carried out sacrifices of crops[SIZE="1"], animals, and during specific festivals, [/SIZE]humans. [SIZE="1"]In a Celtic society, people were not executed for crimes, except during these festivals. Such executions varied, depending on what god the execution was dedicated to. worship also intoned a sense of merciless behavior toward repeated criminals, rapists, traitors, and other societal dregs. The offender, if found guilty, [/SIZE]would be taken to the temple of Essus, where an oak would be growing through an opening in the temple roof. His stomach would be cut open, and he would be hung from an oak branch.[SIZE="1"]Sounds more like justice to me, by the way you might want to read up on your celtic history before you make a fool of yourself anymore.[/SIZE]
    Sooo, you admit beeing a follower of ancient Celtic rituals and that the Celts did sacrifice humans in festivals. Then you go and tell us that hanging somebody from their intestines is your idea of justice. Really, you should be the spokesman for the Wiccans. We would have witch-hunting as a sport back in like a weeek.

Oscar Wilde

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast