Who are the brain police?

Blind man shoots home intruder in the neck

Take home point: More blind people should be armed.
    But a question to those familiar with gun law. How does a blind person get a gun permit?

GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- A Gainesville man's lack of sight didn't stop him from defending his home from an intruder.

According to police, Cevaughn Curtis Jr., 28, broke into Arthur Williams' house in Gainesville at around 3 a.m.

Curtis, police said, knocked on the door, asked to be let inside but Williams refused. Curtis then tried to force his way into the home.

The 75-year-old retired taxi dispatcher, who's been legally blind for the past 61 years, opened fire on the would-be-thief who kicked down his door, police said.

Police said Williams shot Curtis, who tried to flee but collapsed on the front porch, inthe left side of the neck. He was taken to a hospital in stable condition.

Police said Curtis was charged with burglary of an occupied residence and battery on a person over the age of 65.

Officials are praising Williams for protecting himself.

http://www.wesh.com/news/14437963/detail.html
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

Elitest thrill junkie
    Damn, that's got to be worth something.

In any case, because someone is blind doesn't mean they don't have any vision at all, but my hat is off to him.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

banned
    I'm not a Glen Beck nut, but he's on the station I listen to. There was a big discussion about this the other day. Like Beck, I'm not sure where I stand.

At home, ok. It's your house, you have a right to protect it. But a blind guy with a gun? I can't find the word I'm looking for. Careless maybe? Dangerous? One of the first things I learned about firearms growing up was, always be aware of where your barrel is pointed. Now if you can't see, how can you do this?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Locoman
    How does a blind person get a gun permit?
    In Florida and other free states, you don't need a "permit" to own a gun, which is as it should be.
    - Brian
    '07 Gary Fisher X-Caliber 29er - stock
    '99 Giant Iguana SE
    '86 4Runner
    '86 SVO

whoa!
    Mar 2007
    He'll be wanting this accessory from an earlier posting :

Somebodys going to be rolling in dough...

No good in rock gardens..
    Quote Originally Posted by GETSTUPID
    One of the first things I learned about firearms growing up was, always be aware of where your barrel is pointed. Now if you can't see, how can you do this?
    The Force....

This story is nearly as good as the ******** burglar in Australia who smashed a window with a garden gnome (while the occupants of the house slept) and slipped and cut his throat and bled to death.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...-12377,00.html

My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

banned
    I'm not a Glen Beck nut, but he's on the station I listen to. There was a big discussion about this the other day. Like Beck, I'm not sure where I stand.

At home, ok. It's your house, you have a right to protect it. But a blind guy with a gun? I can't find the word I'm looking for. Careless maybe? Dangerous? One of the first things I learned about firearms growing up was, always be aware of where your barrel is pointed. Now if you can't see, how can you do this?
    The story is proof enough that he should be allowed to use a gun and that it was a benefit to him. He might be blind but he knows where his door is, and he knows that an intruder has to come through it to get in.

Add to that the burglar making noise breaking down said door. Looks like things came together quite nicely to me.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gmaki
    The story is proof enough that he should be allowed to use a gun and that it was a benefit to him. He might be blind but he knows where his door is, and he knows that an intruder has to come through it to get in.

Add to that the burglar making noise breaking down said door. Looks like things came together quite nicely to me.
    Oh yeah, I'm not disagreeing there. I think it's great IMO. Anytime somebody protects their home, against any kink of invasion, I think it's a good thing. Especially when their handicapped and vulnerable.

Thing is though, he knows his home. FAR better then any of us know our own. But what about out in public? Do you think he has the right to carry one walking down the street?

For me, I'm on the fence. I think he should have the right to defend himself against a threat, the same as any of us do. But unless somebody is physically touching him, how would he know where they were, good enough to pinpoint where he needs to fire a round? Without endangering others.

banned
    Oh yeah, I'm not disagreeing there. I think it's great IMO. Anytime somebody protects their home, against any kink of invasion, I think it's a good thing. Especially when their handicapped and vulnerable.

Thing is though, he knows his home. FAR better then any of us know our own. But what about out in public? Do you think he has the right to carry one walking down the street?

For me, I'm on the fence. I think he should have the right to defend himself against a threat, the same as any of us do. But unless somebody is physically touching him, how would he know where they were, good enough to pinpoint where he needs to fire a round? Without endangering others.
    Where the hell do you live? NO ONE carries a gun just walking down the street in my neighborhood. Are you posting from 19th century Tombstone NV or something?

banned
    Where the hell do you live? NO ONE carries a gun just walking down the street in my neighborhood. Are you posting from 19th century Tombstone NV or something?
    It's an example. Blind, obviously can't drive. So on the bus, train, walking. In some states, we do have the right to carry a gun on our person. A lot of people carry firearms in their cars.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Dolor
    Legally Blind does'nt mean totally blind. I had an old parftner who say legally blind after taking shrapnel in Vietnam from a landmine, but he could still fight hand-to-hand very well.

Broke a mugger's arm once. Guy was bigger than him. It made the news.

Plus, he was a fairly good shot with a shotgun. He could DEFINITELY hit an intruder with his scatter gun, no doubt about it.......
    That's cool. I like stories like that.

But you being a gun guy, like myself.....what do you think about TOTALLY blind. Not legally blind by law, but a guy who can't see shite!

I'm still on the fence. But out in public? Like I said, what's the first rule you were ever taught, by your father or whom ever, about gun safety? Besides the safety haha.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Tombstone is in AZ, and it is legal here to carry a gun just walking down the street, just not into banks or schools and you have to remove it at the request of a business owner. No permit needed.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    He got the gun on the black market.