mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Would you convert to 27.5?

I've checked all the discount sites on the internet and its going to cost me between $650-$750 to convert my Firebird to 27.5. Do you think it is worth the investment?

Here is the wish list:
    Stans Flow EX wheels
    Maxxis Ardent tires
    Stans Juice

What do you think?

mtbr member
    I think it's your bike and money and you should do whatever you want with it.

Proud Thunderchicken ownr
    Already got the fork?
    My hangup is a lack of 180mm 275 forks. I think my Totem could fit one, but I like my 2.5 DHF EXOs
    Common sense is not so common - Voltaire
    Never underestimate your own ignorance - Me

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aevanlloyd View Post
    I've checked all the discount sites on the internet and its going to cost me between $650-$750 to convert my Firebird to 27.5. Do you think it is worth the investment?

Here is the wish list:
    Stans Flow EX wheels
    Maxxis Ardent tires
    Stans Juice

What do you think?

I like 650B when I get my next bike it's quite likely to be 650B or 29er [currently on a 26er 6" travel rig]. The image above is my 26 x 2.4" Continental Trail King in front of my friend's 27.5 x 2.3" Maxxis High Roller 2.

Big tires can get you lot of the way to 650B with a 26er at reasonable cost.

Not saying you shouldn't do the swap. Just throwing out some other options.

To my mind the 2 things I would need to be true to do a 650B swap are:

1) I'm keeping the bike for a few more years

2) I can fit wide 650B rubber in the frame.

My bike's rear triangle is maxed out with the large 2.4" 26er tire so I'm just gonna ride it and then replace it in the next year.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by btibben View Post
    Already got the fork?
    My hangup is a lack of 180mm 275 forks. I think my Totem could fit one, but I like my 2.5 DHF EXOs
    My Fox 36 will accommodate the 27.5 wheel plus any reasonably sized tire. My big hang up is the money. I'm just not convinced its worth $700. That said, I could be wrong and it might be worth every penny and more.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I don't think its worth it since the FB is such a capable bike. It would only make it slightly more efficient for climbing.

I have 2.5 Minions and a 170 Lyrik Solo air on my FB so would be not much different then the 650b. The only difference is you could put more efficient pedaling tires on the 650 to get a similar diameter and if that diameter is worth the money then sure.
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    If the existing 26" wheels could use an upgrade and your tires are close to done, yes. Otherwise I'd spend my money on gas to the trailheads.

mtbr member
    I would say no, unless you have to have the latest thing. Im going to wear out my 26er parts since they ride just as good now as they did before 27.5 was even thought of. When I need a new bike, I will probably convert then, but I may have No choice since 26ers are being phased out.
    RAM speed: UP, UP, and away....!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by She&I View Post
    If the existing 26" wheels could use an upgrade and your tires are close to done, yes. Otherwise I'd spend my money on gas to the trailheads.
    +1

My LBS called me and said they were only going to charge me 1/2 price for the most recent "truing" of my 26er wheels... as they could only "do their best to get them close" and felt bad charging full price.

I took that as a hint that my current 26er rims were on their way out... And bought some 27.5 Hope/Flow EX wheels. I"ll run a 27.5/26 combo until my favorite 26er tire (Bontrager XR4 2.35 Team Issue) wears out. Then I'll switch to a full blown 27.5 conversion. From talking to others who have converted my bike, I'm looking forward to the increased rollover. My main reason for converting is the noticeable difference climbing roots/rocks between my 6" 26er AM bike and my 4" 29er XC bike.

mtbr member
    I feel your pain, debating as to whether to upgrade my Airborne Zeppelin Elite to 650b. I've seen other ones upgraded and they claim it was an excellent choice. My Manitou Minute Expert 130mm will fit up to 2.25 tires or so I've read. Is it worth $700 for the improvement or is it just another gear head fix? LOL

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    One of my riding partners just made the conversion to 27.5... He had to buy a new wheelset anyway and he could fit 27.5 on his X-Fusion Vengance. By only changing the wheels he did not like the bike then he got a angle headset and fell in love with the way it rode. He also rides a Canfield Brothers The One and he can't make up his mind what bike he likes the most.
    Overall he does enjoy the Firebird conversion... but not sure he would make the investent to repalce a good set of 26 wheels and a fork.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    You really need to demo one,I did for two weeks which I felt was time enough to get a feel for one,and felt it was the Goldilocks of wheelsize for my needs.I bought a Carbine with the option to convert to 26 if for some reason down the road I felt the need too.after spending a season on it I was entirely smitten! and now have a dedicated 27.5,Pivot Mach 6,for me 27.5 is bliss!