Thread: Win-Win

mtbr member

Win-Win

Iíve been dreaming about 29erís for 2.5 years, and although had the green-light to buy at any time, I didnít quite feel compelled to jump in yet. Due to an in-progress warranty issue with my main 26er, I begin test riding 29ers while my 26er is down.

After test riding a rental 429 for ~6 hours over a recent weekend, I decided that the 429 was the right fit for what I wanted in the 29er format. So I called Pivot the next morning to ask a few questions and see about availability of the 429 in the size/color I wantedóno availability on new orders until around March 2011 (Iím mentally preparing to wait until then to get what I wanted).

I tell my wife the bad news over a phone call that morning while weíre at work, and within 15 minutes after hanging up the phone, she has found the size/color I wanted at a bike shop within ~3 hr drive from where we live, and put the bike on hold for me.

End of the story is that my wife feels like a hero since she was so resourceful and found the bike I wanted so fast, and Iím riding a new black X0 429 and really enjoying it!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by robertj; 11-18-2010 at 06:54 PM.

mtbr member
    Sweet man. What sort of 26er did you replace? Some of those 29er builds with the Dorado look like they might be fun........
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay
    Sweet man. What sort of 26er did you replace? Some of those 29er builds with the Dorado look like they might be fun........
    Thanks, and I know this thread is worthless without pics!

Kind of strange, but I think it will "replace" both my 6"/5.5" heavier AM bike and my lighter/aging 5" trail bike for most of my local riding, as the 429 does what I want it to better than both of my current 26ers. I plan on keeping it at a durable but lighter weight, so it will remain as fun to climb with as it is now. It's not as plush on the downs as my AM bike with a coil shock but I'm perfectly ok with that for my local riding.

I still have a need for a 6-7" AM bike for trips, and need to get that sorted out next spring. A burlier 29er could satisfy that need, but I think that market is still being sorted out, and I have parts to go on a 6-7" AM bike now.

mtbr member
    Cool... I might try a 29'er when they get up to 150mm out back. There was a sweet Lenz at Interbike 2009 with a White Bros triple clamp fork up front, but I don't want a single pivot based design.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Enjoy your new ride!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkie
    Enjoy your new ride!
    Thanks man!

...can't wait for the upcoming holidays so I can ride longer during the week.